The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Does Tarell Basham play special teams? If Leo or Anderson or even Fatukasi go down which player has a better chance of minimizing the damage?  Neither Polite nor Basham start so they need to create value somewhere. If Basham has more value than Polite then why keep Polite?

Are you serious?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yes, I honestly believe you are blind.

Basham has reached his ceiling. he's been in the league for 4 years. After two practice games, i doubt any defensive coach for the Jet's think Polite has. I hope not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Are you serious?

Idk you made a hypothetical and I just don’t see Polite as a particularly valuable asset. There’s no reason to think that Polite has untapped potential besides blind hope and I don’t find value in blind hope. Maybe GW or Joe Douglas might try to get something out of him but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they try to stash him away without using a roster spot.

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Idk you made a hypothetical and I just don’t see Polite as a particularly valuable asset. There’s no reason to think that Polite has untapped potential besides blind hope and I don’t find value in blind hope. Maybe GW or Joe Douglas might try to get something out of him but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they try to stash him away without using a roster spot.

But you proposed if our 290 pound D tackles go down Polite is no help there. 

He’s not a DT. He's an edge rusher. 

You’re hatred for Polite is causing you to confuse yourself. 

But yeah, let’s keep 250 pound Tarell Basham, a TRUE failed 3rd round pick to start for Leo or Anderson in case they go down. 

Maybe if all our NTs go down we can put him there. 

And if our WRs go down too. 

We NEED Tarell Basham over Polite. 

Obviously. 

Seriously, stop. 

Let it ride out. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

But you proposed if our 290 pound D tackles go down Polite is no help there. 

He’s not a DT. He's an edge rusher. 

You’re hatred for Polite is causing you to confuse yourself. 

But yeah, let’s keep 250 pound Tarell Basham, a TRUE failed 3rd round pick to start for Leo or Anderson in case they go down. 

Maybe if all our NTs go down we can put him there. 

And if our WRs go down too. 

We NEED Tarell Basham over Polite. 

Obviously. 

Seriously, stop. 

Let it ride out. 

Seriously stop what? You asked a hypothetical. I answered. And yes Basham’s role as a 4-3 DE would be more valuable than an undersized OLB that’s struggling to rush the passer against 2 and 3rd string tackles. It provides the roster with flexibility in case of bad luck.

Acting like the bottom of the roster is unimportant is how you end up with bad special teams and picking up street FAs and starting then after 1 practices 

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Seriously stop what? You asked a hypothetical. I answered. And yes Basham’s role as a 4-3 DE would be more valuable than an undersized OLB that’s struggling to rush the passer against 2 and 3rd string tackles. It provides the roster with flexibility in case of bad luck.

Acting like the bottom of the roster is unimportant is how you end up with bad special teams and picking up street FAs and starting then after 1 practices 

He’s a 3rd round pick but he’s being held to a higher standard because he plays a position of desperate need. People on here are acting like he’s gonna come in and get 10 sacks immediately. I don’t remember anyone forecasting 1000 yds and 8 tds Fromm Stewart! Give him time 

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Can you post Mike Mamula’s?

NFL Hall of Famer Mike Mamula?

Tested off the charts. 

It was predestined. 

By the measurable. And metrics. 

You know, the numbers. 

Since you like looking up stats maybe you can show me ONE top pass rusher in the league that tested as poorly as Polite. I'm only asking for ONE player with his profile that has succeeded in this league as a passrusher.

Just because a player tests off the charts athletically does not make them a good football player. That I think we can agree on. If you tested Usain Bolt at the combine he obviously would be off the charts, but he'd still be a lousy football player.

Now here is the rub. All of the top passrushers or sack artists in the NFL have tested great. Every single one. Why would a guy like Polite be that one outlier?

So in summary just because a guy tests great does not make him a guaranteed good player in the NFL, but if they test like Polite they have no shot. These things can be mutually exclusive.

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So you don’t hate Polite but you hate Polite. 

Stop trying to sugar coat it. 

If you think Tarell Basham has a higher upside, more POTENTIAL as you said, than Polite, there really is nothing to discuss. 

A failed 3rd round pick over a 21 years kid we already spent 3 round capital on. 

You cannot be serious. 

Stop. 

8 minutes ago, genot said:

I doubt they would even read the article, or rewatch his highlights at Florida. He didn't play in the Big east. He played in the SEC.

You're still missing the point. It's not about what they did in college but how they project at the NFL level. Every single metric says Polite will be a bust at the NFL level. Just because he had ONE good season in college doesn't mean it translates when he has has to go against NFL quality players. Why is that so hard too understand?

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

Since you like looking up stats maybe you can show me ONE top pass rusher in the league that tested as poorly as Polite. I'm only asking for ONE player with his profile that has succeeded in this league as a passrusher.

Just because a player tests off the charts athletically does not make them a good football player. That I think we can agree on. If you tested Usain Bolt at the combine he obviously would be off the charts, but he'd still be a lousy football player.

Now here is the rub. All of the top passrushers or sack artists in the NFL have tested great. Every single one. Why would a guy like Polite be that one outlier?

So in summary just because a guy tests great does not make him a guaranteed good player in the NFL, but if they test like Polite they have no shot. These things can be mutually exclusive.

Exactly. 

Cut him. 

NOW. 

RUN to cut him. 

It’s predestined. 

Smart. 

1 minute ago, RobR said:

You're still missing the point. It's not about what they did in college but how they project at the NFL level. Every single metric says Polite will be a bust at the NFL level. Just because he had ONE good season in college doesn't mean it translates when he has has to go against NFL quality players. Why is that so hard too understand?

Was he on anyone else’s draft board, any team in the NFL? 

Through any round?

Not talking about your expert draft board. 

Do you think no one else in the NFL gave him a draftable grade? 

I know you’re the self proclaimed draft expert here but literally every team had him between rounds 2-4. 

Not the RobR team. 

But every single other real NFL  team. 

Prove me wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Exactly. 

Cut him. 

NOW. 

RUN to cut him. 

It’s predestined. 

Smart. 

Maybe you could also answer my question, but since there is no one out there I'm not expecting a valid response, just more spinning this into a different argument.

Show me ONE passrusher that is successful in the NFL that aligns with Polites metrics. ONE. It should be easy, since you constantly defend him.

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Was he on anyone else’s draft board, any team in the NFL? 

Through any round?

Not talking about your expert draft board. 

Do you think no one else in the NFL gave him a draftable grade? 

I know you’re the self proclaimed draft expert here but literally every team had him between rounds 2-4. 

Not the RobR team. 

But every single other real NFL  team. 

Prove me wrong. 

Typical. Again, just answer a simple question. It should be easy.

I don't care about the metrics. It's not the stats, that tell the  story. It's how he got them. No offense to you, personally, but those metrics are available to every team, scouting a player. Despite bombing at the combine, and taking a crap during the interviews, many teams still viewed him as a high, or mid round pic.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't care about the metrics. It's not the stats, that tell the  story. It's how he got them. No offense to you, personally, but those metrics are available to every team, scouting a player. Despite bombing at the combine, and taking a crap during the interviews, many teams still viewed him as a high, or mid round pic.

Then I'll pose the same question too you that I posed to PF, which he keeps stepping around. Show me ONE player with his metrics that is a good passrusher at the NFL level. Just ONE.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Combine numbers.

Why do teams pay scouts?  This is all you need, a computer and Google

How do you explain his pro day? You know, the one that came 6 weeks AFTER the combine where he performed even worse. 

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

Then I'll pose the same question too you that I posed to PF, which he keeps stepping around. Show me ONE player with his metrics that is a good passrusher at the NFL level. Just ONE.

You know a freshman had NEVER won the Heisman Trophy. 

Until someone won one. 

And the next year some other freshman won it. 

There are no predetermined outcomes. 

None. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

You know a freshman had NEVER won the Heisman Trophy. 

Until someone won one. 

And the next year some other freshman won it. 

There are no predetermined outcomes. 

None. 

Then it should be super easy too give me ONE name. You keep deflecting and changing the premise the of the thread, so I'm not sure what your above post even means. It has zero relevance too what we are talking about.

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

Justin Houston, Demarcus Ware, Jerry Hughes, did not measure that well at the combine. They performed better than Polite. Let's not di'scount poor preperation, bad hamstring, etc, etc. Sounds like his agent took him to Mcdonalds every day to bulk up.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Along with Polite the Jets have at least one other under performing higher draft pick D linemen, Nathan Shepherd a guy who was a stretch and so far doesn't have it. 

Entering the NFL from Fort Hays St, it was predictable that he'd struggle his 1st year. Lets see if he's able to step up his game.

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Justin Houston, Demarcus Ware, Jerry Hughes, did not measure that well at the combine. They performed better than Polite. Let's not di'scount poor preperation, bad hamstring, etc, etc. Sounds like his agent took him to Mcdonalds every day to bulk up.

tenor.gif

Huh? All of those players were light years away from what Polite did. LIGHT YEARS. 

Maybe you can explain why his pro day was even worse after he healed up his fake hamstring injury. If you followed the combine you would know that there was a ton of speculation about his supposed hamstring injury.  

tenor.gif

Huh? All of those players were light years away from what Polite did. LIGHT YEARS. 

Maybe you can explain why his pro day was even worse after he healed up his fake hamstring injury. If you followed the combine you would know that there was a ton of speculation about his supposed hamstring injury.  

All those guys ran in the mid 4.6s. Nothing special, just like their other combine numbers. I have no idea why he farted at the combine and pro day. All i know Rob, is that the guy at Florida, who wore 99, showed me burst, great bend, and closing ability, in a conference that has loads of real good players on both sides of the ball