The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

49 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So you don’t hate Polite but you hate Polite. 

Stop trying to sugar coat it. 

If you think Tarell Basham has a higher upside, more POTENTIAL as you said, than Polite, there really is nothing to discuss. 

A failed 3rd round pick over a 21 years kid we already spent 3 round capital on. 

You cannot be serious. 

Stop. 

I didn’t say that Basham has more potential. What are you reading? I said there is a circumstance in which Basham can have more utility than Polite. Add to the fact that Polite isn’t some great prospect with great measurables and you have to start to question how much you value potential without substance vs utility.

10 minutes ago, RobR said:

tenor.gif

Huh? All of those players were light years away from what Polite did. LIGHT YEARS. 

Maybe you can explain why his pro day was even worse after he healed up his fake hamstring injury. If you followed the combine you would know that there was a ton of speculation about his supposed hamstring injury.  

Good gif

32 minutes ago, RobR said:

Still can't answer the simplest of questions jnwc. Not surprised.

What was your draft grade on Polite?

As compared to REAL NFL GMs?

Still can’t answer the simplest of questions. 

Not surprised. 

Come on RobR JN Draft Guru. 

Where did you have him?

If you say anything other than “undraftable” you’re a fraud. 

I get you fashion yourself as an expert. 

But you’re just a fan. Guessing like the rest of us. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I didn’t say that Basham has more potential. What are you reading? I said there is a circumstance in which Basham can have more utility than Polite. Add to the fact that Polite isn’t some great prospect with great measurables and you have to start to question how much you value potential without substance vs utility.

So you think a 25 year old failed 3rd round pick is more valuable than a brand spanking new 21 year old 3rd round pick. 

F*ck “utility” v “value”. 

Bottom of the roster dude v new high round draft pick. 

Hmmmm. 

Yeah, you don’t hate Polite. 

Stop. 

5 minutes ago, genot said:

All those guys ran in the mid 4.6s. Nothing special, just like their other combine numbers. I have no idea why he farted at the combine and pro day. All i know Rob, is that the guy at Florida, who wore 99, showed me burst, great bend, and closing ability, in a conference that has loads of real good players on both sides of the ball

Those guys did that when they were much heavier and you're leaving out every other metric like agility drills and jumps. Guys like Houston and Ware jumped through the roof with all of the other metrics too back it up. Polite failed at every single layer when it comes too testing. You're comparing guys that ran 4.6 vs. a guy that was around 5.0 or even higher during his proday.

I already said that Polite had good tape at UF his last year. Problem is that people with his profile don't succeed in the NFL especially at the passrusher position. Please prove me wrong by naming one player over the last 20+ years that succeeded in the NFL with Polites metrics. You can't because they don't exist and now we're expecting Polite to be that guy. Give me a break.

I hope Polite turns out great but I'm not letting blind homerism cloud my vision. 

30 minutes ago, RobR said:

Then it should be super easy too give me ONE name. You keep deflecting and changing the premise the of the thread, so I'm not sure what your above post even means. It has zero relevance too what we are talking about.

You’re premise is, if something hasn’t happened it cannot happen. 

My premise is, no one ever knows, do one. 

But hey, you wouldn’t have drafted him so you are going to root like hell against a New York Jet to prove how right you are. Hoping he fails so you can pound your fake draft guru chest. 

Pathetic. 

32 minutes ago, genot said:

Justin Houston, Demarcus Ware, Jerry Hughes, did not measure that well at the combine. They performed better than Polite. Let's not di'scount poor preperation, bad hamstring, etc, etc. Sounds like his agent took him to Mcdonalds every day to bulk up.

@TomShane Can you pull up those numbers too show why this post is so far off of the mark. TIA.

1 hour ago, genot said:

I doubt they would even read the article, or rewatch his highlights at Florida. He didn't play in the Big east. He played in the SEC.

I’ll do you one better, I’ve watched every snap of every game Polite played in that was available on YouTube. Because highlight videos aren’t great indicators of potential. He showed somethings but if you look at his metrics and his production it implies that he’s maxed out. He also got half of his sacks on non SEC opponents.

33 minutes ago, RobR said:

How do you explain his pro day? You know, the one that came 6 weeks AFTER the combine where he performed even worse. 

Probably the same way all those who want to bring up any of this cant explain how someone with those workout numbers managed to get 11 sacks?  Or any other numbers he produced.  I get it, he had the hammy, didnt do weeks of specific training to boost his combine and pro day results to levels above his playing numbers.  I get that.  Hes a 3rd round pick, not a 1st.

Main confusion is that people think it means anyone is guaranteeing anything moving forward.  The issue is can he develop and who would be dumb enough to cut him after playing in less that one total game of his first preseason.  

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Those guys did that when they were much heavier and you're leaving out every other metric like agility drills and jumps. Guys like Houston and Ware jumped through the roof with all of the other metrics too back it up. Polite failed at every single layer when it comes too testing. You're comparing guys that ran 4.6 vs. a guy that was around 5.0 or even higher during his proday.

I already said that Polite had good tape at UF his last year. Problem is that people with his profile don't succeed in the NFL especially at the passrusher position. Please prove me wrong by naming one player over the last 20+ years that succeeded in the NFL with Polites metrics. You can't because they don't exist and now we're expecting Polite to be that guy. Give me a break.

I hope Polite turns out great but I'm not letting blind homerism cloud my vision. 

Like i said before. I have no idea why he took a dump at his combine and pro-day. When you look at his film, he doesn't look anything like the player who tested so poorly at the combine. 4.84 40. Dlineman have better 40's. The tape and the metrics are at complete odds with each other. I don't have an explanation.

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

What was your draft grade on Polite?

As compared to REAL NFL GMs?

Still can’t answer the simplest of questions. 

Not surprised. 

Come on RobR JN Draft Guru. 

Where did you have him?

If you say anything other than “undraftable” you’re a fraud. 

I get you fashion yourself as an expert. 

But you’re just a fan. Guessing like the rest of us. 

You try to be the king of deflection but you can't answer the simplest of questions.

You absolutely hate me because I give my thoughts about players BEFORE they are even drafted and have been mostly right in the past. I'm not sure why, unless it comes down to your own insecurities. 

JNWC just answer my question and I'll answer yours.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Probably the same way all those who want to bring up any of this cant explain how someone with those workout numbers managed to get 11 sacks?  Or any other numbers he produced.  I get it, he had the hammy, didnt do weeks of specific training to boost his combine and pro day results to levels above his playing numbers.  I get that.  Hes a 3rd round pick, not a 1st.

Main confusion is that people think it means anyone is guaranteeing anything moving forward.  The issue is can he develop and who would be dumb enough to cut him after playing in less that one total game of his first preseason.  

But the numbers say he is guaranteed to fail. 

The numbers have predetermined it. 

He HAS to fail. 

Or the numbers are wrong. 

And numbers cannot be wrong. 

When dealing with individual human beings.

They ALL conform. 

We should cut him tonite because no one will claim him on waivers. Will they? The dumb f*cks?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

@TomShane Can you pull up those numbers too show why this post is so far off of the mark. TIA.

It’s not really worth it trying to convince a guy that thinks a 4.6/40 by a 250+ pound guy is in the same universe as running a 5.01/40.  It’s not even a critical metric, compared to three-cone, vert, and broad jump. But, alas 

6D1916E5-4CED-4ECC-8A14-163D7E7F3D12.png

482270A7-9B84-4F94-8E5B-85AEDC2A20D5.png

1ACB4711-EE27-43DA-932D-A71965AD44C9.png

746F4C04-07A4-4E1C-B247-D669693299E4.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

But the numbers say he is guaranteed to fail. 

The numbers have predetermined it. 

He HAS to fail. 

Or the numbers are wrong. 

And numbers cannot be wrong. 

When dealing with individual human beings.

They ALL conform. 

We should cut him tonite because no one will claim him on waivers. Will they? The dumb f*cks?

As I said, hes not Winovich.  Winovich will terrorize the NFL for years. 

Numbers say its true.

Oh, BTW, dont you love Cashman?  Numbers, school, injuries, meaningless

Just now, RobR said:

You try to be the king of deflection but you can't answer the simplest of questions.

You absolutely hate me because I give my thoughts about players BEFORE they are even drafted and have been mostly right in the past. I'm not sure why, unless it comes down to your own insecurities. 

JNWC just answer my question and I'll answer yours.

I don’t hate you. 

I don’t know you. 

I don’t give a sh*t about you. 

I think you think way too highly of yourself and your draft prowess. 

You’re not a draft expert. Only in your mind. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You’re premise is, if something hasn’t happened it cannot happen. 

My premise is, no one ever knows, do one. 

But hey, you wouldn’t have drafted him so you are going to root like hell against a New York Jet to prove how right you are. Hoping he fails so you can pound your fake draft guru chest. 

Pathetic. 

Again deflecting and this is getting tiresome. Show me ONE post where I wished that a Jets player would bust so I could be considered right over the last decade plus. I would much rather be considered wrong if it helps us win games. 

Just ONE, just like the one passrusher comparison I'm still looking for. 

Hell I even taught you about some NFL rules yesterday....thanks for the positive rep. Oh wait.

8 minutes ago, genot said:

Like i said before. I have no idea why he took a dump at his combine and pro-day. When you look at his film, he doesn't look anything like the player who tested so poorly at the combine. 4.84 40. Dlineman have better 40's. The tape and the metrics are at complete odds with each other. I don't have an explanation.

The explanation was he was an undersized player who could get by with one move at the collegiate level. Now try and add 20+ pounds to his frame so he can play in the NFL and he is the ultimate fail. 

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I don’t hate you. 

I don’t know you. 

I don’t give a sh*t about you. 

I think you think way too highly of yourself and your draft prowess. 

You’re not a draft expert. Only in your mind. 

Still can't answer the question. LOL. ONE passrusher. 

Peace out JNWC I'm off too watch the fights tonight.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Again deflecting and this is getting tiresome. Show me ONE post where I wished that a Jets player would bust so I could be considered right over the last decade plus. I would much rather be considered wrong if it helps us win games. 

Just ONE, just like the one passrusher comparison I'm still looking for. 

Hell I even taught you about some NFL rules yesterday....thanks for the positive rep. Oh wait.

It’s obvious you so desire to be right about your draft projections. 

Can’t wait for him to fail. 

I’ll root for him thank you very much. 

And if he fails I’ll sadly move on. 

You'll rejoice.

Which is fine.  

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not really worth it trying to convince a guy that thinks a 4.6/40 by a 250+ pound guy is in the same universe as running a 5.01/40.  It’s not even a critical metric, compared to three-cone, vert, and broad jump. But, alas 

6D1916E5-4CED-4ECC-8A14-163D7E7F3D12.png

482270A7-9B84-4F94-8E5B-85AEDC2A20D5.png

1ACB4711-EE27-43DA-932D-A71965AD44C9.png

746F4C04-07A4-4E1C-B247-D669693299E4.png

I said they didn't perform as well as expected, but put up better numbers than Polite. Im disregarding the metrics with regards to Polite. As i said in my last post to RobR, the test numbers, and the game tape are at complete odds with each other.

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

The explanation was he was an undersized player who could get by with one move at the collegiate level. Now try and add 20+ pounds to his frame so he can play in the NFL and he is the ultimate fail. 

After two exhibition games he is. By that standard so is QW.

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Still can't answer the question. LOL. ONE passrusher. 

Peace out JNWC I'm off too watch the fights tonight.

Still can’t answer one question. 

Did you have a draftable grade on him or not. 

Don’t be a fraud. 

Say it. 

He was, in your expert opinion, undraftable. 

Every real NFL GM had him in rounds 2-4. 

But not you. You know better. 

I'm watching the Mets so I can wait. 

30 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So you think a 25 year old failed 3rd round pick is more valuable than a brand spanking new 21 year old 3rd round pick. 

F*ck “utility” v “value”. 

Bottom of the roster dude v new high round draft pick. 

Hmmmm. 

Yeah, you don’t hate Polite. 

Stop. 

Utility vs Potential is how someone has to make these decisions. If the coaches see something in Polite that’s great I hope they can coach it out of him but right now and based on all the evidence in the world he’s working with little potential and little utility.

1 minute ago, genot said:

I said they didn't perform as well as expected, but put up better numbers than Polite. Im disregarding the metrics with regards to Polite. As i said in my last post to RobR, the test numbers, and the game tape are at complete odds with each other.

I wouldn’t say they’re at complete odds, but I’ll agree with you that he looks more athletic in his highlights. I don’t think he can play at 240+ pounds, and I think his best path is to take a few months and get into shape at 235-ish. Either he’s incredibly lazy or he’s getting some incredibly bad advice.

1 minute ago, genot said:

After two exhibition games he is. By that standard so is QW.

No way, if anything QW has been a pleasant surprise physically. He’s flashing and has had moments of domination. I love Ed Oliver but if QW can continue to build upon these moments I’ll be really happy.