Avery Williamson torn acl

Rhg1084

Just now, T0mShane said:

Williamson was our best defensive player last season. This is a drag. Neville Hewitt played really well for us last season in place of Lee, so hopefully they won't lose much. 

a downgrade at ILB doesn't hurt the defense that much, sadly, b/c the run D should still be decent and the cb situation will dictate how effective the D is anyway.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

a downgrade at ILB doesn't hurt the defense that much, sadly, b/c the run D should still be decent and the cb situation will dictate how effective the D is anyway.  

Plus, hopefully, we're scoring a lot of points on offense and we're in the nickel a lot as a result. 

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he had no business being in the game-bad coaching simple as that-no need to sugar coat it

What are you guys all talking about... He was out there because he was taking Mosley's place in calling the defensive plays on the second team defense when ATL still had their 1's out. 

They were training him to play back-up to Mosley... Geez, you guys are soft. The injury sucks but saying that the coaching was foolish or bad because a football player got injured in a preseason game is short sighted. 

Someone needed to play and they were testing their 2nd team against ATL 1's to get a fair evaluation and good tape to review. Wow, I can't believe the weak crowd right now. Again, this is a contact sport, people get hurt... It happens all over the league.... He didn't get hurt because he was on the second team.

• Upvote 7
  • Thumb Down 3

23 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

And Avery was really our 5th option at LB, anyway.

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He was our 5th option so we should be fine. 

To be honest, I’ve been guilty of using this also in the last month. It’s getting a little played out by now though. This pig is ripe for slaughter, dontcha think?

That said, I just questioned two of the sharpest wise asses on the board, so I’m ready to look for cover right now, lol.

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he had no business being in the game-bad coaching simple as that-no need to sugar coat it

It was the 2nd qtr , not like he was playing deep in the 2nd half.

They probably wanted someone who stabilize and align all the youngsters playing.

Its a big loss as is any injury to a starter , but that's part of the game. If the guys get no reps is PS then tear a groin or hammy everyone would be bitching they didn't get enough reps.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

This is why we don't get our news from Twitter, people.

I don't do twitter clown that was from Brian Costello NY Post cant you read. 

Jets linebacker Avery Williamson is out for the season with a torn ACL, The Post’s Brian Costello confirmed on Friday.

Williamson walked off the field after a second-quarter collision with Falcons cornerback Tevaughn Campbell during Thursday’s preseason matchup in Atlanta. An MRI exam revealed the devastating injury on Friday morning.

The 27-year-old signed a three-year, $22.5 million contract in the offseason, and was expected to be the starting inside linebacker alongside free-agent signing CJ Mosley.

Rich CimiNi ESPN 

Source: Jets LB Williamson out with torn ACL

New York Jets linebacker Avery Williamson will have season-ending surgery after tearing the ACL in his right knee Thursday night against the Atlanta Falcons, a source confirmed.

The injury happened on a fluke play late in the second quarter, when Williamson was the only defensive starter in the game.

Williamson and cornerback Tevaughn Campbell were in coverage in the end zone, defending running back Brian Hill. Williamson and Campbell collided, with Campbell diving into Williamson's knee as he tried to make a play on the ball.

It's a tough blow for the Jets because Williamson is one of their most consistent and durable players. He started every game last season, missing only five defensive snaps. The Jets figured to have a strong inside-linebacker tandem with Williamson and C.J. Mosley, one of their top free-agent additions.

The top candidates to replace Williamson are Neville Hewitt and Anthony Wint.

It was a curious decision to have Williamson in the game at that point, surrounded by 10 backups.

"Sometimes everybody is slotted for a different amount of snaps," coach Adam Gase said after the game. "Some guys, we're trying to get with certain packages. ... These last two weeks, he's kind of stayed in there a little bit longer. ... That's how we roll it. Some guys play a little longer than others."

Williamson, who began his career with the Tennessee Titans, signed a three-year, $22.5 million contract in 2018, including a $16 million guarantee. His $6 million salary this season is fully guaranteed. After that, there's no guaranteed money left in the contract.

He played middle linebacker last season, called the defensive signals and finished with 80 tackles, three sacks and one interceptions. He changed positions this season, moving to the weak-inside spot so Mosley could play the middle and call the signals.

The NFL Network first reported the ACL injury.

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

These rants always crack me up.  It's football, it's a rough sport, injuries happen.  If the injury happened in the first quarter, people would be bitching about that.  It sucks, I hate it too, but it's early enough where moves can be made, and we were already pretty deep as others in the thread have noted...

Let's not leap to start trashing the coaches, players have to play to get ready, it's a copout tantrum.

We have some good young players at the position and I'm sure we can make a move for a player on another roster, lots of potential out there that will be released in two weeks.

Everybody calm down.

Now what is the status of Shell?  THAT is a bigger concern.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Leonard - Quinnen - McClendon - Anderson

I would think at least one of the Williams' can play End.

Henry Anderson can not play DE in a 4-3... It's why we got him on the cheap from the Colts.   He is built to play 3-4 DE.  This would not be a good move. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

To be honest, I’ve been guilty of using this also in the last month. It’s getting a little played out by now though. This pig is ripe for slaughter, dontcha think?

That said, I just questioned two of the sharpest wise asses on the board, so I’m ready to look for cover right now, lol.

I invented it. 

@Spoot-Face is just renting it. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What are you guys all talking about... He was out there because he was taking Mosley's place in calling the defensive plays on the second team defense when ATL still had their 1's out. 

They were training him to play back-up to Mosley... Geez, you guys are soft. The injury sucks but saying that the coaching was foolish or bad because a football player got injured in a preseason game is short sighted. 

Someone needed to play and they were testing their 2nd team against ATL 1's to get a fair evaluation and good tape to review. Wow, I can't believe the weak crowd right now. Again, this is a contact sport, people get hurt... It happens all over the league.... He didn't get hurt because he was on the second team.

Actually that’s the EXACT reason why he got hurt. They had him out there when their other starters were out. He shouldn’t have been, and if Bowles was still here he’d be getting killed for it.

“Training him to back up Mosely?” GTFO. Do you even follow this team? The “stabilize the defense” excuse isn’t valid here either. He’s an important cog in the STARTING defense, who gives a sh*t who calls plays in the second preseason game with the subs in?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

These rants always crack me up.  It's football, it's a rough sport, injuries happen.  If the injury happened in the first quarter, people would be bitching about that.  It sucks, I hate it too, but it's early enough where moves can be made, and we were already pretty deep as others in the thread have noted...

Let's not leap to start trashing the coaches, players have to play to get ready, it's a copout tantrum.

We have some good young players at the position and I'm sure we can make a move for a player on another roster, lots of potential out there that will be released in two weeks.

Everybody calm down.

Now what is the status of Shell?  THAT is a bigger concern.

why is bell not out there? because of risk of injury-you dont pull ALL OF  YOUR STARTERS and leave one out there to dry

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Leonard - Quinnen - McClendon - Anderson

I would think at least one of the Williams' can play End.

2 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

Henry Anderson can not play DE in a 4-3... It's why we got him on the cheap from the Colts.   He is built to play 3-4 DE.  This would not be a good move. 

Potential Jadeveon Clowney trade destinations: Jets among fits

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The NFL Editor

Published: Aug. 15, 2019 at 01:28 p.m.

Updated: Aug. 15, 2019 at 10:37 p.m.

Bill O'Brien and Jadeveon Clowney both arrived in Houston back in 2014 as a buzzy match. O'Brien was that year's trendy college coaching candidate and Clowney was that's year's presumptive No. 1 overall pick sensation. The likelihood that O'Brien will wind up outlasting Clowney in Houston says a lot about the state of these Texans.

O'Brien wanted the juice and he got it. In the span of 18 months, Rick Smith and Brian Gaine both became former Texans general managers. O'Brien appears to be the organization's de facto lead decision maker with no GM in place, if he wasn't quietly that guy the whole time. Even before Gaine was fired in June, it became clear that signing Clowney, who has not signed his one-year tender after being tagged in March, to a long-term deal was not a priority. 

Reports consistently indicated the two sides were nowhere close to a new deal and it appeared they weren't negotiating at all as the July 15 deadline to sign Clowney long-term came and went. The Texans are second among all NFL teams with more than $37 million in cap space, according to Over The Cap, so they could have extended Clowney if they wanted to. They didn't, but it was still stunning to read this week from the Houston Chronicle's John McClain that he'd be surprised if Clowney wasn'ttraded.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported earlier this week that a deal "could happen quickly" if an interested team steps up. It's hard not to see all of this as O'Brien putting a "for sale" sign on the back of the key figure in O'Brien's only playoff victory as a head coach.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually that’s the EXACT reason why he got hurt. They had him out there when their other starters were out. He shouldn’t have been, and if Bowles was still here he’d be getting killed for it.

Training him to back up Mosely? GTFO. Do you even follow this team? The “a player can get hurt anytime” excuse isn’t valid here either. He’s an important cog in the defense, who gives a sh*t who calls plays in the second preseason game?

yep-you dont pull all starters and leave one out there to play with lower less experienced talent-that  puts him at greater risk for injury

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

He got hurt on a fluke collision, had nothing to do with him being left out to dry.

bullsh*t he was left out there to play with lower quality less experienced players-he was the ONLY starter out there

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

bullsh*t he was left out there to play with lower quality less experienced players-he was the ONLY starter out there

So what , the same play could have happened in the 1st qtr with all the starters in. Injuries suck and are part of the game.

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Training him to back up Mosely? GTFO. Do you even follow this team? The “a player can get hurt anytime” excuse isn’t valid here either. He’s an important cog in the defense, who gives a sh*t who calls plays in the second preseason game?

Who calls plays when Mosley is out? And I disagree with your rant. Players do get hurt all the time. But you do you and yell and scream... This is football and the sorry ass excuses that all starters need to sit in the preseason is ridiculous... Move on

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, kmnj said:

Who was out there was irrelevant to the fluke factor. The other defender was where he was supposed to be. ESPN talking about it now, they defender was in appropriate position and helmet contacts knee.  Sucks but it happens.

If your argument is he shouldn’t have been out there in any event then that’s a valid criticism. 

But who was on the field with him didn’t cause the injury. First team D could have been out there and this could have happened. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1