Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jetstream23

Injuries: Par for the course or are the Jets doing something wrong?

Recommended Posts

It's football.  Guys get hurt.  But do we see anything related to either playing time or practice tactics that might be resulting in injuries?  Anything different with this coaching staff or is it just bad luck that Leo's been hurt but seems to be back, Williamson is out for the year, Shell, Mosely sustained knee injuries, Cashman is hurt, Trumaine Johnson is hurt, Kyron Brown is hurt, etc.

I just hate to see these things cranking up in Preseason since we know the NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint, and injuries accumulate throughout the year as a team hopefully heads towards a playoff push.

Le'Veon Bell has been wrapped in bubble wrap, but is there anything else we see in terms of either playing time, preseason player rotations, or practice intensity that might be contributing to injuries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jets strength coach enjoys a great reputation 

not sure outside of Williamson if anyone will actually miss week 1

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This could be posted on every fan forum in the NFL. 

We’ve had one major injury. 

So has just about every other team, or they will. 

The bumps and bruises are also being sustained by every other team. 

Football is tough. 

Get a helmet. 

That's why I said what I said in my first two sentences.  The question is whether there's anything uncharacteristic or an aberration this year, that's all.  Guys get hurt, man....it's football.  Seemed to happen less frequently in Camp Cupcake with Bowles, I'm not saying that's a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's why I said what I said in my first two sentences.  The question is whether there's anything uncharacteristic or an aberration this year, that's all.  Guys get hurt, man....it's football.  Seemed to happen less frequently in Camp Cupcake with Bowles, I'm not saying that's a good thing.

I know.

But other than the Avery injury pretty sure these bumps and bruises happened every year under Bowles. 

I don’t think this is anything out of the ordinary. 

And actually pretty light.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well they are playing with more intensity then they have for quite some time, maybe that's part of it.

Injuries are just a random part of sports, hard to point to any reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are teams in a much worse position then we are injury wise

Football is a very violent game.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Bell actually hurt or are they just being conservative with their $60 million investment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

There are teams in a much worse position then we are injury wise

Football is a very violent game.

Yup. 

If you look at this current list, we’re not even close to being as bad as some teams. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/injuries

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you see HOW Williamson got hurt? Wasn’t it friendly fire?

how do you prevent that?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

Did you see HOW Williamson got hurt? Wasn’t it friendly fire?

how do you prevent that?

Apparently by not playing anyone. 

Ever. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, naturalscience said:

Seems like a lot of hamstring injuries. That gives me pause.  Hamstring injuries have a way of lingering. 

Don’t have any real data, but just seems that since the last CBA limiting both training and practice time muscle injuries like Hamstring, Calf etc are up. Getting players into football shape is more difficult for training staffs. Maybe someone that follows the college Game closely can compare better. College game is not as restricted as Professionals. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure it’s a conspiracy 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the Chargers, Derwin James has a stress fracture in his foot & might have to have surgery & no timetable on his return. That is a HUGE LOSS for a team in the Super Bowl hunt!

You don't just replace that dude! We lost Avery & it sucks big time but how much of a dropoff is it to Cashman, Hewitt, Wint, Burgess & we still have CJ Mosely?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Don’t have any real data, but just seems that since the last CBA limiting both training and practice time muscle injuries like Hamstring, Calf etc are up. Getting players into football shape is more difficult for training staffs. Maybe someone that follows the college Game closely can compare better. College game is not as restricted as Professionals. 

Yeah, bit of a double edge sword.

On one hand it's an extreme sport and requires extreme training.

On the other, the staff obviously will drive these athletes to the ground.  The players wouldn't have negotiated it if it wasn't important. 

May be a chicken and the egg type argument.

Does the different training have a correlation to increased muscle injuries?  Are teams just reporting more because they are more likely to be penalized if caught now? Are muscles more likely to strain with the massive amounts of drugs and supplements that are pumped into these guys? I'm sure there are plenty more musings as well.

Hamstring injuries worry me though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Don’t have any real data, but just seems that since the last CBA limiting both training and practice time muscle injuries like Hamstring, Calf etc are up. Getting players into football shape is more difficult for training staffs. Maybe someone that follows the college Game closely can compare better. College game is not as restricted as Professionals

Actually the college game is pretty restricted as to how long teams can practice, how many two-a-day practices can be held and how much contact teams are allowed.  Coaches are only allowed 20 hours per week for on field practice and classroom coaching.  You also don’t have pre-season games in college so all of the contact during camp is very much controlled.  Guys get hurt in college too, it’s just that unless you are following a team closely you don’t really hear about the injuries like you do in the NFL.  You also have much larger rosters in college so first team defense is rarely beating up on first team offense and vice versa.  Also, the guys are younger in college 18-22 years old, so naturally there will be less soft tissue injuries with those age groups as opposed to guys in their late 20’s and 30’s in the NFL.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This could be posted on every fan forum in the NFL. 

We’ve had one major injury. 

So has just about every other team, or they will. 

The bumps and bruises are also being sustained by every other team. 

Football is tough. 

Get a helmet. 

this is exactly why depth is important and why we suck on most part....no team plays the last quarter of the season with the same team they had in the first.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not ready to throw Williams and Gase under the bus because Williamson was the only starter out there? There's too many Monday morning QB's on this site. For whatever reason they had him out there, it was a coaches decision. It sucks that he's out for the season, but we'll manage. It's not like we were winning the SB this season anyway. End of controversy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm not ready to throw Williams and Gase under the bus because Williamson was the only starter out there? There's too many Monday morning QB's on this site. For whatever reason they had him out there, it was a coaches decision. It sucks that he's out for the season, but we'll manage. It's not like we were winning the SB this season anyway. End of controversy.

One of the problems of leaving a starter with a bunch of 2nd & 3rd teamers is the propensity for them to make mistakes & they throw themselves around with abandon. Some of them are flying around like aimless missiles trying to get noticed. You see that a lot in preseason guys that are a bit out of control & Avery was in a collision with his own teammate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, freestater said:

Personally, I blame Belichick 

We could basically blame Belichick for the last 18 years.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I know.

But other than the Avery injury pretty sure these bumps and bruises happened every year under Bowles. 

I don’t think this is anything out of the ordinary. 

And actually pretty light.  

 

And that was a helmet to the knee has nothing to do with a team strategy or trainner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And that was a helmet to the knee has nothing to do with a team strategy or trainner

Or who he was on the field with.

An irrelevancy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that everyone is getting a hamstring injury is weird and probably means something is being done incorrectly. But the Williamson injury was a freak occurrence.

Remember Sal Alosi? We were the healthiest team in the league when he was here. Whatever he was putting in the players was probably illegal but it worked.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The fact that everyone is getting a hamstring injury is weird and probably means something is being done incorrectly. But the Williamson injury was a freak occurrence.

Remember Sal Alosi? We were the healthiest team in the league when he was here. Whatever he was putting in the players was probably illegal but it worked.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Or who he was on the field with.

An irrelevancy.

Too many just to find someone to blame dumb luck

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Is Bell actually hurt or are they just being conservative with their $60 million investment?

 

tru tv GIF by truTV’s The Chris Gethard Show

football win GIF

dog spinning GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm not ready to throw Williams and Gase under the bus because Williamson was the only starter out there? There's too many Monday morning QB's on this site. For whatever reason they had him out there, it was a coaches decision. It sucks that he's out for the season, but we'll manage. It's not like we were winning the SB this season anyway. End of controversy.

I agree.  It's not like it was the 2nd half, it was the 2nd quarter that Williamson was in there.  And, he wasn't in there playing his role of "Will" linebacker but rather playing his role on 2nd team as the "Mike" when Mosely isn't in there.  It was important that he get a few reps in there leading the defense in that role.  Some starters at one position also play important 2nd team roles at another spot as backups....this might be most apparent with the OLine if guys like Shell or Edoga end up being positioned to play a couple spots on the line.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Actually the college game is pretty restricted as to how long teams can practice, how many two-a-day practices can be held and how much contact teams are allowed.  Coaches are only allowed 20 hours per week for on field practice and classroom coaching.  You also don’t have pre-season games in college so all of the contact during camp is very much controlled.  Guys get hurt in college too, it’s just that unless you are following a team closely you don’t really hear about the injuries like you do in the NFL.  You also have much larger rosters in college so first team defense is rarely beating up on first team offense and vice versa.  Also, the guys are younger in college 18-22 years old, so naturally there will be less soft tissue injuries with those age groups as opposed to guys in their late 20’s and 30’s in the NFL.  

Practices and  contact have been limited in just about all sports. Seem to recall an article I read once that describes the training staff as critical to college programs due to the fact they had the most exposure too players in the off season. Which I thought implied training programs were not as restive in college as it is in the pros. If that is the case it could be a factor. As you stated though the attention paid to these types of injuries is not as focused on by the general fan in college vs pros. Most likely due to fantasy football most fans now focus on the whole league rather than just one team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams treat minor dings and strains more cautiously in the preseason. It's best to let guys heal up and be 100% for the season then to press them and let something become a lingering issue. If it were week 1 this week we'd be missing  Williamson and maybe Johnson would be questionable. Other than that we'd probably have mostly all our starters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's football.  Guys get hurt.  But do we see anything related to either playing time or practice tactics that might be resulting in injuries?  Anything different with this coaching staff or is it just bad luck that Leo's been hurt but seems to be back, Williamson is out for the year, Shell, Mosely sustained knee injuries, Cashman is hurt, Trumaine Johnson is hurt, Kyron Brown is hurt, etc.

I just hate to see these things cranking up in Preseason since we know the NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint, and injuries accumulate throughout the year as a team hopefully heads towards a playoff push.

Le'Veon Bell has been wrapped in bubble wrap, but is there anything else we see in terms of either playing time, preseason player rotations, or practice intensity that might be contributing to injuries?

when guys pull muscles, I blame it on them.  Williamson was hit by his own man.  Fluke.  I see no patern that indicates coaching or practice has anything to do with it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's football.  Guys get hurt.  But do we see anything related to either playing time or practice tactics that might be resulting in injuries?  Anything different with this coaching staff or is it just bad luck that Leo's been hurt but seems to be back, Williamson is out for the year, Shell, Mosely sustained knee injuries, Cashman is hurt, Trumaine Johnson is hurt, Kyron Brown is hurt, etc.

I just hate to see these things cranking up in Preseason since we know the NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint, and injuries accumulate throughout the year as a team hopefully heads towards a playoff push.

Le'Veon Bell has been wrapped in bubble wrap, but is there anything else we see in terms of either playing time, preseason player rotations, or practice intensity that might be contributing to injuries?

Cba doesn't let guy get into shape for football any more the game get stronger and tougher almost, every year but the guy 5 and 10 years ago were better prepared before the season. They keep taking away contact and then come pre season or hell even an up beat practice and everyone is saying oh random injury.

No not random they are causing these by not letting the coaches get them into shape.

I hate the players ass. Cba etc. They are all political and don't  give two sh*ts about players.

Pretty much they have garunteed guys will lose careers to complete ly preventable injuries.

But there's only a couple Evey year so screw it! I mean what's the alternative, practicing longer than 45 minutes twice a day!

Awful

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...