NFL's Greatest Games

(Note: this post is from a "I'm a fan of the NFL" perspective, not just "I'm a Jets' fan")

I was thinking about the greatest games I've ever seen and I was wondering both what people think of my list plus what other people's lists would look like.  Below are probably the top games I can remember and I'd actually rank them in the order listed.  Note that I am taking into account the fact that they're playoff games since it adds to their "stature"

1990 Giants 15 49ers 13 (NFC championship game)

1981 Chargers 41 Dolphins 38  (AFC divisional playoff game "Epic In Miami")

1982 49ers 28 Cowboys 27 (NFC championship game "The Catch")

What do you think of this list?  And what other games rank with these?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

(Note: this post is from a "I'm a fan of the NFL" perspective, not just "I'm a Jets' fan")

I was thinking about the greatest games I've ever seen and I was wondering both what people think of my list plus what other people's lists would look like.  Below are probably the top games I can remember and I'd actually rank them in the order listed.  Note that I am taking into account the fact that they're playoff games since it adds to their "stature"

Others I would add

-The Greatest Game Ever Played

-Bills comeback down 35-3 against the Oilers 

-The Ice Bowl

-Super Bowl 42

-The original Hail Mary

Obviously the list goes on. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, nico002 said:

Chiefs Rams last year was the best regular season game I’ve ever seen.

I guess to each their own but I HATED that game.  I remember posting something like "Did the NFL just jump the shark?" after that game.  It felt like Arena League football on steroids to me .

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I guess to each their own but I HATED that game.  I remember posting something like "Did the NFL just jump the shark?" after that game.  It felt like Arena League football on steroids to me .

It was a shootout- they have had those since the game was invented. Just became a game has tons of points and wild plays doesn’t mean the sport is dead. The team that ran the football and played defense won the Super Bowl. It was just a fun epic game.

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

It was a shootout- they have had those since the game was invented. Just became a game has tons of points and wild plays doesn’t mean the sport is dead. The team that ran the football and played defense won the Super Bowl. It was just a fun epic game.

51-45 was a shootout too.  As was 41-38 (Chargers/Dolphins) but it felt (to me, at least) like there was absolutely no defense in that Chiefs/Rams game.  I really didn't enjoy it at all.  But again, to each their own.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

51-45 was a shootout too.  As was 41-38 (Chargers/Dolphins) but it felt (to me, at least) like there was absolutely no defense in that Chiefs/Rams game.  I really didn't enjoy it at all.  But again, to each their own.

Yeah I’m with you here. It felt like it was less about great offense and more about absolutely pathetic defense. 

One I remember from memory was the Vick led Falcons going into Green Bay for the WC round I believe and coming away with a win, being the first team to beat GB at Lambeau in the playoffs.

I remember thinking that what I saw Vick do will be the closest thing to seeing 1 player win a game for his team. I wanna say it was in 2004. It wasn't really a great game, but more a great 1 man performance.

Also the same weekend I believe SF beat the Giants 39-38, that was a great game. It was actually in 2003, not 2004.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Remember that Giants v 49ers game well.  Bill Parcells winning with no TDs and 5 FGs.  Amazing game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

You like the Giants?

If this was directed at me, please read the part where I say this post is from a "I'm a fan of the NFL" perspective, not just "I'm a Jets' fan".

For the record though, I actually don't dislike the Giants.  I actually want them to be good to keep NY football more interesting.  If they play the Jets though of course I root for the Jets.  But  I respect the Giants and I'm certainly glad they beat the Pats those 2 Superbowls.

To me, Jets/Giants is not really even a rivalry.  I have no hatred of the Giants.  They're basically just another team in the NFC (though we happen to share a stadium with them).

Mets/Yanks and Rangers/Devils/Isles are a different story. 

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If this was directed at me, please read the part where I say this post is from a "I'm a fan of the NFL" perspective, not just "I'm a Jets' fan".

For the record though, I actually don't dislike the Giants.  I actually want them to be good to keep NY football more interesting.  If they play the Jets though of course I root for the Jets.  But  I respect the Giants and I'm certainly glad they beat the Pats those 2 Superbowls.

To me Jets/Giants is not really even a rivalry.  I have no hatred of the Giants. 

Mets/Yanks and Rangers/Devils/Isles are a different story. 

No the down vote on my post, Not you at all!  Go Yanks, Go Devils. :D

9 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

No the down vote on my post, Not you at all!  Go Yanks, Go Devils. :D

Mets and Rangers for me but we'll always have the Jets!

Btw, I think Rangers/Devils is going to be a great rivalry with all these young players.  I think Hughes is going to be terrific.  I hope Kakko lives up to expectations.

31 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

You like the Giants?

I don’t mind the Giants. I downvoted your post because I hate the Eagles and don’t think those really belong with the greatest games ever. I know that you like the Eagles though and you probably cherish those moments but for me looking at it from the perspective of an NFL fan I just don’t see those games that way. Don’t take it personally. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I don’t mind the Giants. I downvoted your post because I hate the Eagles and don’t think those really belong with the greatest games ever. I know that you like the Eagles though and you probably cherish those moments but for me looking at it from the perspective of an NFL fan I just don’t see those games that way. Don’t take it personally. 

Jets, and Eagle season tix holder at birth then PSL/SBL. Go Jets....Bring me some more highlights I've been waiting.

• Upvote 1

Was at the 81 Wild card game. Had gotten my season tickets two or three years prior and was able to take my Dad to that game one of the proudest days of my life since he had taken me to so many Mets games at Shea and Knicks games at the Old Madison Square Garden it felt really good to be able to treat him to a playoff game ( if I recall the tickets cost 20 bucks each. Season tickets back then were 9 dollars a seat so for the year it was $144.00 with no mandatory pre season games and you could bring your own beer into the stadium great memories and thank you posting that game 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Was at the 81 Wild card game. Had gotten my season tickets two or three years prior and was able to take my Dad to that game one of the proudest days of my life since he had taken me to so many Mets games at Shea and Knicks games at the Old Madison Square Garden it felt really good to be able to treat him to a playoff game ( if I recall the tickets cost 20 bucks each. Season tickets back then were 9 dollars a seat so for the year it was $144.00 with no mandatory pre season games and you could bring your own beer into the stadium great memories and thank you posting that game 

Wow!