TuscanyTile2

NFL's Greatest Games

23 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

At 13:38 of the video (and the Jets down 7-0 in the 1st quarter) Wesley Walker dropped a (beautifully thrown) TD pass that was right in his hands.  Pat Leahy missed a 52 yard FG and the Jets were held off the board.  Add Bruce Harper's fumble on the opening kickoff and 3 beloved Jets screwed up at the start of that game.

At 13:38 of the video (and the Jets down 7-0 in the 1st quarter) Wesley Walker dropped a (beautifully thrown) TD pass that was right in his hands.  Pat Leahy missed a 52 yard FG and the Jets were held off the board.  Add Bruce Harper's fumble on the opening kickoff and 3 beloved Jets screwed up at the start of that game.

vividly recall the anticipation going into this game. it’s on YT. shea was monstrous.
other moments like 99 trying to ‘pick six’ a fumble to no avail. ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

(Note: this post is from a "I'm a fan of the NFL" perspective, not just "I'm a Jets' fan")

I was thinking about the greatest games I've ever seen and I was wondering both what people think of my list plus what other people's lists would look like.  Below are probably the top games I can remember and I'd actually rank them in the order listed.  Note that I am taking into account the fact that they're playoff games since it adds to their "stature"

1990 Giants 15 49ers 13 (NFC championship game)

1981 Chargers 41 Dolphins 38  (AFC divisional playoff game "Epic In Miami")

1982 49ers 28 Cowboys 27 (NFC championship game "The Catch")

What do you think of this list?  And what other games rank with these?

I like that list, but I still say the regular season game Giants - Cowboys was the best I ever saw. 1993 I think? Emmitt Smith dislocated his shoulder in the first half and played through it for the rest of the game. The Giants f*cling showed up for that game!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I like that list, but I still say the regular season game Giants - Cowboys was the best I ever saw. 1993 I think? Emmitt Smith dislocated his shoulder in the first half and played through it for the rest of the game. The Giants f*cling showed up for that game!

Good call!  That was a heck of a game.  I think that was the Dan Reeves era.  And I think the Cowboys won that game in OT.  If the Giants would have won, they would have won the division and Dallas would've had to play the wildcard the next week (with an injured Emmitt).  Instead Dallas got a bye week and Emmitt was able to heal up a little bit and Dallas went on to win the SB. 

It was a critical game so this was a very good choice.  And I remember being surprised at how well the Giants played in that game.  They were definitely a good team but Dallas was really showing greatness at that time.

EDIT: Another great regular season game (also the Giants) was their regular season MNF matchup against the 49ers in 1990 (the same year as the 15-13 game).   IIRC, both teams were 10-0 then lost their next game.  They met on MNF both with 10-1 records.  It might still to this day be the MNF game with the best records for each team.  San Fran won that game 7-3 but it was one of the hardest hitting regular season games I can ever remember.  Those 2 teams were just absolute heavyweights.

EDIT #2: I found the Giants/49ers MNF game online.  Check out the shot at 1:00:25.  Amazing!

Also, someone in the comments wrote: "The first regular season game ever screened live (in full) on British telly."  How about that for a 1st game for the British to ever see in full.  Incredible!

At 1:00:25:image.png.72af2aec1a1cdea20ec77d3f0df8318a.png

And at 1:20:55, a young Jon Gruden makes an appearance:

image.png.932f57b9e7e6242809456c39dc41882b.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

That game, where the Jets punter or kicker was throwing dots all over. I forget whether they won or lost.

That was Tom Tupa against the pats in week one after Vinny got hurt. Jets did end up losing though. 

On 8/17/2019 at 6:45 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

(Note: this post is from a "I'm a fan of the NFL" perspective, not just "I'm a Jets' fan")

I was thinking about the greatest games I've ever seen and I was wondering both what people think of my list plus what other people's lists would look like.  Below are probably the top games I can remember and I'd actually rank them in the order listed.  Note that I am taking into account the fact that they're playoff games since it adds to their "stature"

1990 Giants 15 49ers 13 (NFC championship game)

1981 Chargers 41 Dolphins 38  (AFC divisional playoff game "Epic In Miami")

1982 49ers 28 Cowboys 27 (NFC championship game "The Catch")

What do you think of this list?  And what other games rank with these?

Why pick just playoff games?

Monday Night Miracle and Bills against Oilers would be too 10 on any list. 

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Was the 90 giants- niners the one where Craig fumbles?

Yes

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Was the 90 giants- niners the one where Craig fumbles?

Yes, and Joe Montana also got crushed by Leonard Marshall. 

7 hours ago, CurtMart said:

Why pick just playoff games?

Monday Night Miracle and Bills against Oilers would be too 10 on any list. 

You can pick whichever games you want but I would say that if it's a post-season game (or a regular season game that was obviously critical to a team winning the SB like the Emmitt Smith dislocated shoulder game against the Giants) then it increases in stature.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:34 PM, papz187 said:

One I remember from memory was the Vick led Falcons going into Green Bay for the WC round I believe and coming away with a win, being the first team to beat GB at Lambeau in the playoffs.

I remember thinking that what I saw Vick do will be the closest thing to seeing 1 player win a game for his team. I wanna say it was in 2004. It wasn't really a great game, but more a great 1 man performance.

Also the same weekend I believe SF beat the Giants 39-38, that was a great game. It was actually in 2003, not 2004.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That was 2002, a week after we crushed GB to win the division.  GB was playing for homefield advantage throughout the NFC playoffs but losing to us dropped them to hosting in the WC round.  The Packers-Falcons game was played right after we beat Indy 41-0.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:34 PM, DetroitRed said:

1981 Jets Bills playoff game was a great game

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This was my first year of Jets memories and it was basically showing me what it was going to be like as a Jet fan.  Get down big, make not comeback, have a great chance to win only to throw an int at the GL to end it.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, DetroitRed said:

Fumble for a TD on the first play of the game. Todd with 4 picks at least, and still almost won

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In 2 playoff losses in '81 & '82 Todd threw a total of 9 INTs.

17 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

That game, where the Jets punter or kicker was throwing dots all over. I forget whether they won or lost.

That was the 1999 season opener, we thought it was the beginning of a SB run then Vinny goes down I believe early second qtr.  Our backup was Rick Mirer who we just acquired and to save a roster spot on game Parcells declared him the #3 emergency QB with Tupa as the #2.  He did this to save a roster spot for another player and if Mirer came in before the 4th qtr it meant Tupa would be out of the game and we wouldn't have our punter/holder.

The funny thing is Tupa came in and played well as we had a lead then Mirer checked in for the 4th and blew it.

• Like 1

How bout the two Denver-Cleveland AFC Title Games in 86-87 ? Elway with "The Drive" followed the next year with Byner and "The Fumble". Those two games have to be on  a list.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:36 PM, Apache 51 said:

Never saw that game.  I was 20 years old at the time.  Had suffered throough the decade without a winning record in the 70s, Waiting year in, year out through my teens to see my team in the playoffs.  And they finally make it.  And my sister has to choose that day to get married.  To a Dolphin fan.

The marriage did not last very long.  I should have skipped the wedding and gone to the game.

• Like 1