If you were stuck on a desert island and had a choice to bring 5 albums with you, what would they be?

Heard this question bantered about on the radio the other day, thought it would be cool to ask the board. Here are mine:

1) Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

2) Moody Blues - To our Children's Children's Children

3) Steely Dan - Aja

4) Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

5) Super Jets 1969 highlight album

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Heard this question bantered about on the radio the other day, thought it would be cool to ask the board. Here are mine:

1) Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

2) Moody Blues - To our Children's Children's Children

3) Steely Dan - Aja

4) Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

5) Super Jets 1969 highlight album

Band.jpg

Pink Floyd- Pulse live album (because we'd cover a lot of ground there. 

Pink Floyd- Obscured by Clouds (if you've never heard this underrated classic..you're welcome) 

Steely Dan- Decade of Hits (again, just to cover ground. It would suck tho, not having Home at Last)

Johnny Cash- American IV

Creedence-  Chronicle 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, freestater said:

Pink Floyd- Pulse live album (because we'd cover a lot of ground there. 

Pink Floyd- Obscured by Clouds (if you've never heard this underrated classic..you're welcome) 

Steely Dan- Decade of Hits (again, just to cover ground. It would suck tho, not having Home at Last)

Johnny Cash- American IV

Creedence-  Chronicle 

No HITS albums please, lol.

Nobody under the age of 54 has ever listened to an entire album. No one under the age of 35 has ever had to purchase an album.

I’m not saying this to make fun of anyone. I just think it’s interesting how irrelevant this once-staple question is to younger people. It’s like talking about your favorite VHS tape.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nobody under the age of 54 has ever listened to an entire album. No one under the age of 35 has ever had to purchase an album.

I’m not saying this to make fun of anyone. I just think it’s interesting how irrelevant this once-staple question is to younger people. It’s like talking about your favorite  :wub:  VHS tape  :wub:.

vhs_kellys_heroes_1.JPG

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not saying this to make fun of anyone. I just think it’s interesting how irrelevant this once-staple question is to younger people. It’s like talking about your favorite VHS tape.

Interesting perspective and appreciated BUT its not a bad thing.

The truth is music today sucks. Digital sucks. Singles suck. Cds suck and sound like chalkboard scratching. 

Back in the album days, it was an experience that included the artwork on the cover and lyrics and credits. 

People were more into music back then. Today its just silly trends that last 2 months and never stand the test of time. Stupid dances. Awful focus on synchronized dancing.

terrible

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Great Music!

Barry Gordy told Marvin Gaye people would not buy an album about social issues but Marvin was not deterred. What's Going On stayed on the charts for 2 straight years & has consistently been in the top 10 Albums of all time. 

Give it another listen & it's still relavent today. I like to pour myself a glass of Makers over a nice big ice block & listen to that album. Smooth as silk. 

• Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Neither of these is true.

My kids range from 25-31 and every single one of them has listened to thousands of entire albums (did you ever drive to Florida or the OBX with 4 kids?). My kids all had CD players and would pop them in and listen to them all the time.  And my kids have each bought hundreds of CDs over the years.  Not in the last 5 years or so, but absolutely they did.

But you could be right about everybody else.  Except their friends and my friends kids.

But other than that you're right.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Warmbrother said:

The truth is music today sucks. Digital sucks. Singles suck. Cds suck and sound like chalkboard scratching. 

Back in the album days, it was an experience that included the artwork on the cover and lyrics and credits. 

People were more into music back then. Today its just silly trends that last 2 months and never stand the test of time. Stupid dances. Awful focus on synchronized dancing.

terrible

Music today DOES suck but the beauty of music is that the past lives on.

My kids got Guitar Hero years and years ago and one day my youngest son came up to me and said "Dad, have you ever heard that song Stairway to Heaven?  It's great!"  And then he informed me that Stevie Ray Vaughn could really play the guitar.

My kids still listen to music from the 60s 70s 80s today.  Not all the time but they do and they appreciate when they are all back at the house and I put my playlists on and I can see them mouthing the words to a Crosby Still Nash Young song--warms my heart.  

40 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Barry Gordy told Marvin Gaye people would not buy an album about social issues but Marvin was not deterred. What's Going On stayed on the charts for 2 straight years & has consistently been in the top 10 Albums of all time. 

Give it another listen & it's still relavent today. I like to pour myself a glass of Makers over a nice big ice block & listen to that album. Smooth as silk. 

I love Marvin and Tammi too.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Warmbrother said:

terrible

Not all of it, but a good amount is throwaway  one hit wonder crap. Instant gratification, disposable like everything else the last 20 years. 

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance

Crowded House - Crowded House

Gordon Lightfoot - Old Dans Records

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

The Band - Cahoots

(In reality it would be the greatest hits albumns of each of these artists but I excluded those.)

Question of Balance, the Moody Blues...GREAT CHOICE! 

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Not all of it, but a good amount is throwaway  one hit wonder crap. Instant gratification, disposable like everything else the last 20 years. 

Have to say Ive digging on some Leon Bridges (Bad Bad News) & Nathaniel Ratteliff & the Night Sweats (You worry Me), Amos Lee too.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Listening to the whole album now (I’m over 54 so, yeah) and it holds up very well. Been a while. Almost as if it’s one long song flowing in and out of each other. 

The Who - Quadrophenia

Stones - Sticky Fingers

Tull - Aqualung

Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Clash - London Calling

Edit -- Not sure what I was thinking leaving Ziggy Stardust off my list.  Ziggy is in ; Tull is out.  Sorry, Ian.

• Upvote 4

Berry Gordy

• Thumb Down 1

Have to say Ive digging on some Leon Bridges (Bad Bad News) & Nathaniel Ratteliff & the Night Sweats (You worry Me), Amos Lee too.

Ok I’ll rephrase that.

thees a TON of great music today. TONS! But you have to be very interested and invested in music to find it.

the difference is that back in the day “pop” musical was good music. You couldnt avoid it.

today pop is garbage. And you cant avoid it either

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Warmbrother said:

Ok I’ll rephrase that.

thees a TON of great music today. TONS! But you have to be very interested and invested in music to find it.

the difference is that back in the day “pop” musical was good music. You couldnt avoid it.

today pop is garbage. And you cant avoid it either

Always have tapes........fullsizeoutput_7f7.thumb.jpeg.62e982b30c3893dfc3cc22bf22907bb3.jpeg

Really like Nathaiel Rateliff.  First Night Sweats album is awesome -- give it a listen.  SOB, I Need Never Get Old.  Some great stuff. 

Another band I really like that doesn't seem to get much attention or airplay is The Revivalists.  They had a hit last year with Wish I Knew You, but their other stuff is so much better.  Good music is out there waiting to be found.  Just have to know where to look.