Albert McClellan (LB) Signed

KRL

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Well, no, but the Jets have a bunch of money and I was hoping they’d use it to pay a better prospect, like USC does with their recruiting.

in all seriousness, watching older vets chewing up snaps on rebuilding Jets teams is a personal bugaboo of mine. 

You're nuts. Where exactly are these better prospects you're referring to? The regular season starts in 22 days. Outside of last second cuts the Jets will not get anyone even remotely close to the kind of talent Avery Williamson exuded. Same with CB by the way. Get ready to deal with these roster weaknesses for the rest of 2019.

11 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You're nuts. Where exactly are these better prospects you're referring to? The regular season starts in 22 days. Outside of last second cuts the Jets will not get anyone even remotely close to the kind of talent Avery Williamson exuded. Same with CB by the way. Get ready to deal with these roster weaknesses for the rest of 2019.

Pay no mind to @T0mShane late Saturday night posting from the rooftop pigeon cabana bar with bird droppings and scent of pigeon urine and cheap vodka, excuse him. 

Bring in a couple of old savvy vets and we will be fine. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Our young CB's aren't all that bad. 

I can only hope your right but you can count me as one that is more than a bit skeptical of that analysis.   Hard to be comfortable with our corners trying to cover attention needy OBJ on Monday night football or watching Tom Brady complete his 10th crossing pattern before the 1st quarter is over.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Why would you have to showcase a veteran ILB in preseason to facilitate a trade?

To give looks of how he is playing right now?  He had 1/3 of his 2018 and 2017 sack totals Thursday night. Seems like they just might have been using him in some scenarios that aren't the norm.  He's not known as someone to send at the QB, yet that's what he was doing with him. 

I could see Douglas wanting the look as well. 

9 hours ago, Lith said:

Anyone else think we need to pump the brakes just a bit on Cashman.  He is a 5th rounder.  And he has missed some practice time with a hamstring injury.  And he is being talked up like he is a sure thing to replace Williamson and we won't miss a beat.  Based on what.  Some positive traning camp tweets and a single preseason game appearrance.  I think it i s a lot more likely one of the vets is the week 1 starter: Hewitt, Burgess, McLellan

Don't get me wrong, I hope he steps up and proves he can be solid starter in this league.  But to expect a 5th round draft pick to step in and start week 1 of his rookie year seems like an awful lot to ask.

Im someone who’s been bullish on Cashman since before the draft and I still think you’re right. I think Cashman will end the season the full-time starter but right now replacing Williamson will be a Burgess, Hewitt and Cashman operation.

15 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

OR.... Gregg Williams really likes Hewitt, Cashman and the rest and was doing what he said he would be doing in his presser. Keeping guys on the field for the purposes of Joe Douglas.  I am really thinking that there was a potential trade opportunity with Williamson and they were showcasing him a bit or just looking at him to see how significant the drop off was between Williamson and Hewitt/Burgess/Wint.  He was having a solid game too. 

I think there was more going on than just having him out there for the purposes of calling the D. 

Nah, you have more than enough ability to trade him by playing against starters not “showcasing” him against backups on roster bubbles. Plus he was coming off a solid season and was 100% healthy. 

I get the desire to rationalize some reason behind the curtain, but no. For as much respect as anyone has for our shiny new DC, this was just dumb for Williams to keep him in, and just as dumb for Gase to allow it by not stepping in to overrule Williams’ stupidity here.

There’s no basis for this “what I’d like the reason to be” idea other than just that: a desire to look at our veteran coaches as being above such judgment lapses.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

As someone else mentioned, the most likely explanation is that Williamson got extra reps to call the defense as he would likely take over for mosely if he had to 

williams said this week that everyone on the defense has to learn 2 positions 

• Upvote 1

The more I think about it Hewitt is probably going to be the
starter next to Mosley.  With that being the case they are 
probably going to take him off special teams.  So McClellan
will become the special teams "ace" Hewitt was

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Probably just a camp body. Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman have all looked good so I don’t think anyone will replace them.

Agree, I think we are overthinking this signing. If G.Williams thought THAT highly of him he would have signed him as a backup already. This is just an extra body now that the Jets are down one. So in that sense, its a good job going out and getting someone right away. Good to have a vet who's played in meaningful games in the NFL. Will he make the roster and play meaningful minutes, that is very much possible. But I don't think we should think this guy will step in and replace Williamson right away just b/c he's a vet who played with Mosley.   

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, KRL said:

This makes a lot of sense.  Solid "hold the fort" signing, which is about all the Jets can do at this point unless someone surprisingly good gets released soon.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Good post.  This does make a lot of sense.

I think there could be moves to be made by end of pre-season when rosters are purged and more talent becomes available.  I like the depth we have with Hewitt and Burgess, and the potential of Cashman.  Another player to look out for is Langi, he was flashing early in camp (I thought I saw you give him a shout out, could be wrong), but he's another nice sized ILB that I think has been out due to hamstring, hoping he can come back and show what he has.

As much as I hate the loss of Williamson, the Jets are well positioned here with the talent they have, but more than anything else will be the coaching, for the first time in a while I feel very confident our coaching can make up for losing key players.  All teams will lose players, it's the coaching where teams persevere.

1 hour ago, JetsRay said:

Good post.  This does make a lot of sense.

I think there could be moves to be made by end of pre-season when rosters are purged and more talent becomes available.  I like the depth we have with Hewitt and Burgess, and the potential of Cashman.  Another player to look out for is Langi, he was flashing early in camp (I thought I saw you give him a shout out, could be wrong), but he's another nice sized ILB that I think has been out due to hamstring, hoping he can come back and show what he has.

As much as I hate the loss of Williamson, the Jets are well positioned here with the talent they have, but more than anything else will be the coaching, for the first time in a while I feel very confident our coaching can make up for losing key players.  All teams will lose players, it's the coaching where teams persevere.

The problem is that the Jets have a lot of low level backups at ILB. The Williamson injury is not terrible b/c of Mosley but it does hurt. You're talking about keeping guys like Hewitt, Burgess and Langi on the roster over guys like Luvu and Basham- both of whom have been so good in camp and preseason. Even then, the numbers don't add up. Jenkins, Mosley, Cashman, Copeland....if we assume the Jets hold on to Polite, that's 5 LBs and we haven't gotten to any ILB backups. Let's say the Jets carry 6 LBs like last year. And the 6th guy is Hewitt. That means Burgess, Basham, Luvu and McLellan all get cut. 

It's going to be really interesting to see what the Jets do at LB. But I have a feeling they 1. Carry an extra LB- for a total of 7. and 2. Go with the best players on the roster and end up thin at ILB and heavy at OLB.  

I don't see Burgess, McLellan and Hewitt all making the team. Probably only one of them will, either Hewitt or McLellan- and I'm leaning towards the latter.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

The problem is that the Jets have a lot of low level backups at ILB. The Williamson injury is not terrible b/c of Mosley but it does hurt. You're talking about keeping guys like Hewitt, Burgess and Langi on the roster over guys like Luvu and Basham- both of whom have been so good in camp and preseason. Even then, the numbers don't add up. Jenkins, Mosley, Cashman, Copeland....if we assume the Jets hold on to Polite, that's 5 LBs and we haven't gotten to any ILB backups. Let's say the Jets carry 6 LBs like last year. And the 6th guy is Hewitt. That means Burgess, Basham, Luvu and McLellan all get cut. 

It's going to be really interesting to see what the Jets do at LB. But I have a feeling they 1. Carry an extra LB- for a total of 7. and 2. Go with the best players on the roster and end up thin at ILB and heavy at OLB.  

I don't see Burgess, McLellan and Hewitt all making the team. Probably only one of them will, either Hewitt or McLellan- and I'm leaning towards the latter.  

We will carry more than 6 LBs. In a 3-4 scheme, you want 8 or 9 LBs on your 53.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I wonder if Mosley vouched for this guy. Did they play together in Baltimore? If they did then this signing speaks of getting somebody who CJ knows and is comfortable with.

I also agree with reserving judgement on Cashman. An undersized rookie who has played well in practice and a preseason game given that he was a 5th rounder is a nice story....but that’s all it is. If he was taken where Darron Lee was taken late in the 1st I think we’d be disappointed in his play so far. Let’s not confuse better than expected play with being able to start at ILB. In my opinion Hewitt is the guy for now. 

Cashman is another non Gase guy.  He supposedly can cover, but he is a 5th---a Maccagnan 5th

14 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Cashman is another non Gase guy.  He supposedly can cover, but he is a 5th---a Maccagnan 5th

Yup, he's on the outside looking in.  But the coaches (Gase's coaches now) have been elevating him to some 1st and 2nd team reps in practices which says to me he's been doing some things to earn a good look.  We'll see what happens but this coaching staff seems to be giving all of Macc's rookies a fair shot.  Chuma Edoga will have a role on this team, Cashman is getting reps, QW is obviously highly valued.  The guys who seem to be struggling to get reps and earn time are Polite and Wesco so far.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup, he's on the outside looking in.  But the coaches (Gase's coaches now) have been elevating him to some 1st and 2nd team reps in practices which says to me he's been doing some things to earn a good look.  We'll see what happens but this coaching staff seems to be giving all of Macc's rookies a fair shot.  Chuma Edoga will have a role on this team, Cashman is getting reps, QW is obviously highly valued.  The guys who seem to be struggling to get reps and earn time are Polite and Wesco so far.

wesco got a TD catch the other night.  The other boob TE got called for a pick, right?

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bugs me more when the season gets on and by mid season it’s clear they’ve got no more than a theoretical path to the playoffs. But this early on you do have to expect them to try to win games and put guys out there because they deserve it not because they didn’t acquire a legit starter. 

This isn’t Darnold’s rookie year anymore; they should be trying to win a SB. OL aside (since it’s never a bad idea to protect one’s QB) I’d agree with you if they were loading up with expensive (and therefore, “must start” stopgaps like 2015. If we start out 1-6 and he’s still starting then I’d agree with you. But for now? I see this pickup as veteran insurance for losing Mosley (or for not force-keeping Mosley out there when he needs to come off the field) as much as chiseling him in for 95% of the D snaps already. 

I was no great fan of Lee’s but given the compensation his trade was more of a waist-down than a neck-up move. A (likely low slot) 6th rounder a full season later was not enough for a cheap, young, recent 1st rounder coming off his only start-worthy season. That’s why, as bad and unqualified as Maccagnan was in his own right, you don’t give hot-headed young HCs the GM duties. It was a feel-good move to him and to many fans, but it wasn’t a smart one.

I don't think they're competing for anything significant this year other than getting Darnold sorted out. If they think they're competing, I'd imagine we'll know it in the next two weeks if they start hauling in veteran cornerbacks and kickers. Seems incongruous to think that they're making a run this year with the paucity of depth and talent they have in too many areas, with no real sense of urgency to fill them.

As for Darron Lee, it seems pretty clear that was a statement move that all hardo coaches pull when they come into a new place. IIRC, Maccagnan was holding out for a fifth and wasn't getting any bites, so Gase just took the closest offer to it to get Lee out of the building.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nah, you have more than enough ability to trade him by playing against starters not “showcasing” him against backups on roster bubbles. Plus he was coming off a solid season and was 100% healthy. 

I get the desire to rationalize some reason behind the curtain, but no. For as much respect as anyone has for our shiny new DC, this was just dumb for Williams to keep him in, and just as dumb for Gase to allow it by not stepping in to overrule Williams’ stupidity here.

There’s no basis for this “what I’d like the reason to be” idea other than just that: a desire to look at our veteran coaches as being above such judgment lapses.

I hear ya. I don't think my motivation is to somehow remove fault from anyone on the CS as much as it is to follow the line of breadcrumbs laid out by GW.  The comment that he will have players out there that Douglas' purposes made me think.  One side of it is simply that I'm oddly excited by the relationship between our GM and HC.  That they would have deep motivations for any decisions with any player sent me looking for deeper meaning.  The other is trying to see things where they may not be just to try and make sense of something. 

Hell, I didn't even like when we hired Gase. I'm not at the place of defending everything he does....  yet anyway. :) 

Just a thought as I explore the deep crevice of denial that Williamson won't be a part of the 2019 Jets. Big bummer.  

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As for Darron Lee, it seems pretty clear that was a statement move that all hardo coaches pull when they come into a new place. IIRC, Maccagnan was holding out for a fifth and wasn't getting any bites, so Gase just took the closest offer to it to get Lee out of the building.

This is right.  Gase did not throw a player out that was supposed to be part of the program.   Mac mis-priced his market.  Gase just found the market and did the trade. 

On 8/17/2019 at 11:44 PM, jetstream23 said:

I wonder if Mosley vouched for this guy. Did they play together in Baltimore? If they did then this signing speaks of getting somebody who CJ knows and is comfortable with.

That would be cold-blooded, given that the presence of more LB's hurts his brother Jamey's chances of making the roster even more.  lol.  

"C.J., think Jamey is ready to take a step up on the depth chart?"

"Nah, he sucks.  Now this guy I played with in Baltimore, he sucks slightly less.  Sign that beast."

On 8/18/2019 at 7:16 AM, kdels62 said:

Im someone who’s been bullish on Cashman since before the draft and I still think you’re right. I think Cashman will end the season the full-time starter but right now replacing Williamson will be a Burgess, Hewitt and Cashman operation.

I listen to a few podcasts last night I think one was called Robbie and Sabo ? Anyway they said that  Burgess jr. is calling the plays for the second string defense and he actually is Avery Williamsons backup. During Gase presser after the green and white scrimmage he stated that Hewitt is currently learning a new position. Burgess was on the Browns last year w/ Greg Williams.. I expect Burgess Jr to be the starter next to CJ. Cashman will be sprinkled in sub packages