Albert McClellan (LB) Signed

KRL

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think they're competing for anything significant this year other than getting Darnold sorted out. If they think they're competing, I'd imagine we'll know it in the next two weeks if they start hauling in veteran cornerbacks and kickers. Seems incongruous to think that they're making a run this year with the paucity of depth and talent they have in too many areas, with no real sense of urgency to fill them.

As for Darron Lee, it seems pretty clear that was a statement move that all hardo coaches pull when they come into a new place. IIRC, Maccagnan was holding out for a fifth and wasn't getting any bites, so Gase just took the closest offer to it to get Lee out of the building.

The thought is Darnold should be performing this year well enough for the Jets to compete for something significant, a la Wentz/Goff in their own 2nd seasons. 

Regarding Lee, I agree but it’s a dumb reason. You do that “new sheriff in town” stuff after you see him dogging it or stinking up the joint first hand. Neither Gase nor Williams had coached him yet, so given the lack of significant cap room cleared and lack of value received in return, this was shortsighted.

I don’t see what the rush was, and since they got next to nothing for him anyway, I think that message to the team would have hit home a lot more if they saw it in direct response to Lee’s performance or behavior. The way it was done just looks foolish and I don’t think it had any such quaking-in-boots effect on anybody. Especially not while they’re still carrying Leo for 10x Lee’s cost with surely far more compensation in return, even after they drafted QW.

Kid’s a dipshit but he’s not devoid of talent and any argument of “let’s see how he does under G. Williams” in Leo’s favor should have naturally extended just as much to Lee, who was only making lower-end backup money at that.

JMO

17 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I hear ya. I don't think my motivation is to somehow remove fault from anyone on the CS as much as it is to follow the line of breadcrumbs laid out by GW.  The comment that he will have players out there that Douglas' purposes made me think.  One side of it is simply that I'm oddly excited by the relationship between our GM and HC.  That they would have deep motivations for any decisions with any player sent me looking for deeper meaning.  The other is trying to see things where they may not be just to try and make sense of something. 

Hell, I didn't even like when we hired Gase. I'm not at the place of defending everything he does....  yet anyway. :) 

Just a thought as I explore the deep crevice of denial that Williamson won't be a part of the 2019 Jets. Big bummer.  

I liked the hire as soon as it meant doing away with an unqualified GM. 

I’m sympathetic to looking for a reason that makes a bitter pill easier to swallow, but the most likely reason is the one that people have stated multiple times already: they wanted a veteran out there to help guide the n00bs on the field, so they could assess how they do with proper direction instead of wondering if poor play would have still ensued in its absence. 

Not to beat the same dead horse again, especially since I was never very impressed with him as a pick or as a player, but that would have been a job better-suited for a veteran Darron Lee (or another cheap, camp fodder type veteran), not an expensive/key starter like Williamson. 

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I liked the hire as soon as it meant doing away with an unqualified GM. 

I’m sympathetic to looking for a reason that makes a bitter pill easier to swallow, but the most likely reason is the one that people have stated multiple times already: they wanted a veteran out there to help guide the n00bs on the field, so they could assess how they do with proper direction instead of wondering if poor play would have still ensued in its absence. 

Not to beat the same dead horse again, especially since I was never very impressed with him as a pick or as a player, but that would have been a job better-suited for a veteran Darron Lee (or another cheap, camp fodder type veteran), not an expensive/key starter like Willi iamson. 

Yeah, I have had plenty to say on the timing and capital recouped with the Lee trade but that's a whole different thing I won't dig into too much anymore. Not that you were referencing that side of it necessarily .  I've been listening and reading a whole buncha stuff about the Williamson thing and I think the idea that GW wanted to have his back up Mike used to making the calls in the event Mosely wasn't out there is also a pretty important thing to accomplish. When are you gonna practice that sort of thing if not the preseason?  That's in addition to seeing what the young guys do with actual leadership on the field like you mentioned. 

I think the bottom line is this just flat out blows.  Williamson may not be the talent Mosely is but he is an above average LB. Those two were going to be a horror in the middle of the D and it just sucks not to have them out there together. Im sure Hewitt will be decent and solid, but he's not Williamson.  Cashman may be nice, but he's young, raw, small and often injured. I have the same hopes for him as everyone else, but again, he's not Williamson.  Wink and Basham are scrubs and no better than 3rd string IMO. Mclellan has two rings as a role player and it's nice to have him. i'd take him over Basham's gold teeth every day of the week. 

So we are probably ok but we had a chance at true dominance with Mosely and Williamson together. Let's see how it goes. I'm just hoping the guy can come back as good as he was. These knee injuries aren't a guaranteed smooth come back.