Winovich

Jetster

I just woke up from a weed coma, so I just want to make sure that I am not completely out of my element, but it’s still only August of 2019, right?

Furthermore, it is my understanding that Polite and Winovich have each only played in NFL Preseason games? Is this correct? 

Those of you in possession of a fully-functional DeLorean may disregard this message. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I just woke up from a weed coma, so I just want to make sure that I am not completely out of my element, but it’s still only August of 2019, right?

Furthermore, it is my understanding that Polite and Winovich have each only played in NFL Preseason games? Is this correct? 

Those of you in possession of a fully-functional DeLorean may disregard this message. 

That’s not how this works. 

That’s not how ANY of this works. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

pass that peace-pipe brother ... sounds like you got some good $h*t !!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, papz187 said:

Yeah, I was watching the old Hard Knocks and that comment made me laugh lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I remember it well. Satele was a guy many people thought was going to be something. Not Westhoff though!

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

791969096_OscarMadison.jpg.f2ba7094652b3d39aec9567817c65ffd.jpg

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Not worth shlt...  we took an undersized safety when we had a QB we needed to surround with talent.  That was REX pushing Tanny in my opinion. Imagine Sanchez in year 2 with Gronk to throw to.  

Nah - Gronk would've stunk here. 

/s

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

If memory serves correct I believe winovich was touted as having a high floor? So pretty much he's as good as he's ever going to get. Polite dropped to the third round after being talked about as a first before his rotten combine. I guess they were banking on him having untapped potential? I really just think this is GM's in this league  have a huge complex that Tom Brady was chosen where he was. Some of these GM's are trying to prove that they're smart and need to find their own unicorn so they get cute with some of their pics.

I'll give you that. That's where maccagnan seemed to do himself in, looking for that "diamond in the rough" but during lower draft rounds. I thought he did well enough with that with UDFA but why do it the during the draft. 

Draft : go for the proven, less the potential. 

UDFA: go for the potential, see if the coaches can unlock it.

Oh well. In the past now.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ok so your driving towards the beach and your about a mile away and you look towards the beach and it looks like you see the Ocean. Is it the Ocean? You can't be 100% sure but it sure as heck looks like the Ocean. Polite vs Winovich. You can basically see what's coming a mile away even though they haven't played any regular season games yet. McCoffee blew it. Face it. Everything pre-draft pointed towards Winovich. Everything now points towards Winovich. Who's behind door number 2 ? It's Polite.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pac said:

It kinda will.  You can hide behind platitudes like "we all want the same thing" but that wont change the absurdity of your relentless attacks on the guy who will have been most responsible for the successful rebuild.

at the end of the day who gives a sh it..  it's just the internet..  doesn't mean I wont enjoy watching many of you scrambling to explain why Macc had nothing to do with the playoff run.

Jeez, talk about beating a dead horse.  He's not here anymore, Pac.  

3 hours ago, Pac said:

It kinda will.  You can hide behind platitudes like "we all want the same thing" but that wont change the absurdity of your relentless attacks on the guy who will have been most responsible for the successful rebuild.

at the end of the day who gives a sh it..  it's just the internet..  doesn't mean I wont enjoy watching many of you scrambling to explain why Macc had nothing to do with the playoff run.

It’s not just MAC.  Since 2009 basically all of our drafts have been well below average.  WELL.  we as a fan base are hopeful that management now understands.  I would argue that our drafts could get worse than 2011 and 2012 but they did.....

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Ok so your driving towards the beach and your about a mile away and you look towards the beach and it looks like you see the Ocean. Is it the Ocean? You can't be 100% sure but it sure as heck looks like the Ocean. Polite vs Winovich. You can basically see what's coming a mile away even though they haven't played any regular season games yet. McCoffee blew it. Face it. Everything pre-draft pointed towards Winovich. Everything now points towards Winovich. Who's behind door number 2 ? It's Polite.

Maybe, but i’m gonna check out the season first 

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

It’s not just MAC.  Since 2009 basically all of our drafts have been well below average.  WELL.  we as a fan base are hopeful that management now understands.  I would argue that our drafts could get worse than 2011 and 2012 but they did.....

There is a very good reason for this.   Since Parcells the Jets have short-changed what they pay coaches and management.  Actually, since Douglas/Gase the most they spent was probably Tanny/Rex, and that got them to the AFCCG 2x.  I think as a general matter the scouting department was basically gutted, and Mangini added a lot of value.  

The Jets now have a serious Front Office being paid serious money.  We should expect better results...starting next year.   This year maybe, but the damage has been done.   It would appear that Winovich will be a better player than Polite, although I can see the Jets going more 4-3 going forward, particularly with Wilkinson out.  Winovich fits perfectly in a BB defense, and probably Bowles as well.  With Gregg Williams, I don’t know.  

The logical response to the picking of Polite over Winovich?  Fire Mac.  The Jets did that.  Polite should not make the team over Basham, Luvu or Copeland.  From there, we will see.  

• Upvote 1

I liked Winovich over Polite because he had an unstoppable motor, and tested fairly athletically.  However, the pre-season is not a great judge for talent, because different teams are working on different things.  It's glorified practice, rather than actual games, which was why it was funny Rex cared so much about the snoopy bowl.  

I like to see Polite in better shape and see where he ends up, rather than judging the pick right now.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, varjet said:

There is a very good reason for this.   Since Parcells the Jets have short-changed what they pay coaches and management.  Actually, since Douglas/Gase the most they spent was probably Tanny/Rex, and that got them to the AFCCG 2x.  I think as a general matter the scouting department was basically gutted, and Mangini added a lot of value.  

The Jets now have a serious Front Office being paid serious money.  We should expect better results...starting next year.   This year maybe, but the damage has been done.   It would appear that Winovich will be a better player than Polite, although I can see the Jets going more 4-3 going forward, particularly with Wilkinson out.  Winovich fits perfectly in a BB defense, and probably Bowles as well.  With Gregg Williams, I don’t know.  

The logical response to the picking of Polite over Winovich?  Fire Mac.  The Jets did that.  Polite should not make the team over Basham, Luvu or Copeland.  From there, we will see.  

I disagree in general on low pay theory but the rest I understand.  I have seen "fans"  who would be screaming at the TV who to  pick and yet we pick "Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, Kyle Wilson, Coples etc."  It doesn't take a scouting department to NOT choose Pryor or Ducasse or Stephen Hill.   A computer model would have done a better job and I am serious.  The money ball theory would work in the NFL in my opinion.  Like counting cards in Vegas, seems like no big deal but a small advantage over time .....

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I disagree in general on low pay theory but the rest I understand.  I have seen "fans"  who would be screaming at the TV who to  pick and yet we pick "Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, Kyle Wilson, Coples etc."  It doesn't take a scouting department to NOT choose Pryor or Ducasse or Stephen Hill.   A computer model would have done a better job and I am serious.  The money ball theory would work in the NFL in my opinion.  Like counting cards in Vegas, seems like no big deal but a small advantage over time .....

Yea, lets pick Stephen Hill because he had 11 catches in college & sort of looks like Calvin Johnson and came from the same school. Freaking MORONS!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/18/2019 at 9:12 AM, NYJ1 said:

I completely agree. Chase Winovich looks to be a pro bowler for many years to come. Mac selected Polite because that's what he does,,,, and I've posted this many times, the thought of getting a player that could contribute to winning games in their rookie season never even crossed Mac's tiny little brain. He NEVER thought, "you know based on our off-season moves, we MUST get a player that's going to step right in the field and starting playing well". Unless, the very top of the draft board fell in his lap, Adams, Darnold, he was USELESS. Darron Lee is a prime example. When he stepped on the field his rookie season he sucked so bad he was nothing short of a liability for the defense. Same with Jordan Jenkins. I'm not as concerned about it because Jenkins was a 3rd rounder and he has become a nice player through time. In the 3rd round, you almost expect the said player to take a while to develop. But a 1st rounder should be a player that's going to play well for you from day ONE. And as I said, unless Mac had a no brainer falling to him (Adams, Darnold, and Quinnen Williams looks like he's going to be a contributor from day one) he was HORRIBLE at picking diamonds in the rough.

Honestly, we should have known Mac sucked from day ONE? He drinks DUNKIN DONUTS coffee. Dunkin Donuts coffee SUCKS. There's way better coffee out there. This should have told us from day one he didn't know what he was doing.

DD Dark Roast is pretty good. Everything else hereinabove is 100% correct. 

Maccagnan was a scout. He again fell in love with the idea of a find over what eyeballs and stats told everyone else. He did so habitually. 

The 40 time should have been a red flag; it's awful. Same thing with everyone at PSU HATING Hackenburgh, it gave him no pause. Might have even firmed up his confirmation bias. A miracle he did not f___ up Darnold falling into his lap, but his indifference to the OL almsot did that. 

• Sympathy 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, IndianaJet said:

We can call it the "Whiny Little Bitches" thread...go in there and cry about things that have been done in the past that no amount of bitching and moaning can change.

"Hey did you hear...Kamara had 150 yards and 3 TDs?"

"Hey...how about that Mahomes guy....pretty good ain't he?"

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

well yes.  of course there's always some 'one that got away' envy.  but when it happens just about every draft then it's plenty clear the guy(s) doing the picking need to be launched.  unless polite and edoga turn out to be decent players, mac's record will be on a par with idzik's.

14 hours ago, win4ever said:

I like to see Polite in better shape and see where he ends up, rather than judging the pick right now.  

I think most of us would agree with you. 

It's a shame that it's this late in the preseason and we're talking about waiting to see him in shape though, isn't it?

On 8/19/2019 at 1:05 PM, 14 in Green said:

I think most of us would agree with you. 

It's a shame that it's this late in the preseason and we're talking about waiting to see him in shape though, isn't it?

He was doomed the moment he put on weight for his off-season program, and it backfired.   

Aww Come on...The Patriots cheat is a losers lament.....:)

"They got a guy in the third round, Chase Winovich, who's got a motor the likes of which you just don't see. . . . The Titans want to get a good look at Ryan Tannehill [Why? —Ed.], their fancy new backup QB, and Winovich is single-handedly dismantling their entire offense for a whole stretch of the second quarter, into the third quarter."

"Among all of the Patriots’ first-year players, NFL.com’s Chris Wesseling believes one has separated himself from the pack. “With the receiving corps in flux, all eyes have been on first-round pick N’Keal Harry and undrafted camp sensation Jakobi Meyers. It’s time to concentrate on the third-round pick screaming off the edge on the other side of the ball,” Wesseling writes. “Former Michigan standout Chase Winovich has been an unblockable dervish through two preseason outings, dominating overmatched backup tackles. In one second-quarter stretch last week, he single-handedly shut down a Titans offense trying to take a look at fancy new backup QB Ryan Tannehill. When Tennessee coach Mike Vrabel was interviewed at halftime, I expected him to relay his top priority of the second half: building a moat in front of No. 50. You finally get Winovich blocked — often illegally — on defense, exhale for a minute, and he hunts down your returner in kick coverage. Twice. This was one of the best preseason performances I’ve ever seen. How did the other 31 teams let the Super Bowl champions get their hands on this guy?” Wesseling really can’t get enough of Winovich. The veteran NFL scribe earlier this week appeared on “The Rich Eisen Show” and gushed over the young defensive lineman, who’s shaping up to be an impact player in New England from Day 1. Given the Patriots’ lack of pass-rushing depth, it wouldn’t be shocking to see Bill Belichick turn to Winovich on third-down situations right from the get-go."

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2019/08/who-nfl-com-believes-has-been-patriots-most-promising-rookie-in-preseason/