5 Roster Spot Battles

Roster Spot Battles?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. QB: Davis Webb vs Luke Falk - who will make the team?

• Webb
    • Falk
    • Neither will make the 53 man roster
    • Both will make the 53 man roster
  2. 2. RB: Bilal Powell vs Elijah McGuire  - who will make the team?

• Powell
    • McGuire
  3. 3. WR: Deontay Burnett vs Deonte Thompson - who will make the team?

• Burnett
    • Thompson
  4. 4. DL: Nathan Shepherd vs Folorunso Fatukasi - who will make the team?

• Shepherd
    • Fatukasi
  5. 5. OLB: Tarell Basham vs Frankie Luvu - who will make the team?

• Basham
    • Luvu

Who will win these 5 Roster Spot battles and open the season on the Jets 53 man roster?

QB: Davis Webb vs Luke Falk

RB: Bilal Powell vs Elijah McGuire 

WR: Deontay Burnett vs Deonte Thompson

DL: Nathan Shepherd vs Folorunso Fatukasi

OLB: Tarell Basham vs Frankie Luvu

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think Dortsch is going to make the team and I'm not sure how that affects the WR position? I would like to see Dortsch get reps at WR. If he proves to be an OK WR, he's going to steal a roster spot. Now, obviously our top 4 is set. Enunwa, Anderson, Crowder, Bellamy... they are all givens. I liked Burnett the other night. I thought he played well.

But what about Valentine Holmes? The coaching staff has to get him more reps. I like what I see, but admittedly nobody has seen enough. Where does he fit on the roster assuming he makes the team?

• Upvote 2

These were super easy for me:

1. Falk over Webb

2. Powell over McGuire

3. Burnett over Thompson

4. Fatukasi over Shepherd (this was the toughest one...but I think both Kaufusi and Fatukasi make it and Shepherd gets cut)

5. Basham AND Luvu both make it 

• Upvote 1

The biggest camp battle is one you didn't mention.  Unnamed Kicker A vs. Unnamed Kicker B.  After the next game and another 2 blown XPs we are going to finally bring 2 kickers into camp and watch them slug it out.  This coaching staff seems to have a weird blind spot about having a kicker competition but holy crap, the one-at-a-time thing is NOT working.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I think Dortsch is going to make the team and I'm not sure how that affects the WR position? I would like to see Dortsch get reps at WR. If he proves to be an OK WR, he's going to steal a roster spot. Now, obviously our top 4 is set. Enunwa, Anderson, Crowder, Bellamy... they are all givens. I liked Burnett the other night. I thought he played well.

But what about Valentine Holmes? The coaching staff has to get him more reps. I like what I see, but admittedly nobody has seen enough. Where does he fit on the roster assuming he makes the team?

I think the WR position has pretty much ironed itself out barring injuries.

Assuming the Jets carry 6: Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Bellamy, Burnett, Dortsch. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Holmes doesn't fit on the 53, but definitely the practice squad.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Neither - Falk to the PS

Powell

Burnett - Thompson a very tough cut.

Both - Fatukasi has played really well.

Both - Love Luvu, and Basham has consistently pressured the QB in preseason.

So who would be on your D-line. Just curious b/c I think B.Kaufusi has been a beast so far and there's no way he deserves to be cut.

Last year I believe they carried 6 D-linemen. Maybe this year they will carry 7. But if they carry 6, one guy has to be odd man out. I think that guy would be Shepherd. 

Leo, McLendon, Anderson, QW, Fatukasi, B.Kaufusi, Shepherd.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The biggest camp battle is one you didn't mention.  Unnamed Kicker A vs. Unnamed Kicker B.  After the next game and another 2 blown XPs we are going to finally bring 2 kickers into camp and watch them slug it out.  This coaching staff seems to have a weird blind spot about having a kicker competition but holy crap, the one-at-a-time thing is NOT working.

Unnamed kicker B. 

Obviously. 

21 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think the WR position has pretty much ironed itself out barring injuries.

Assuming the Jets carry 6: Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Bellamy, Burnett, Dortsch. 

So you think Holmes only shot at making the roster is as a RB at this point? The reason why I ask is because when I watch Holmes play I see a guy that's just as much of a WR as he is RB. That with his special teams abilities aside. He kind of reminds me a little of Danny Woodhead. I don't think it's a very good idea to put him on the practice squad? He'll probably get stolen rather quickly. Once again, I haven't seen enough. He needs/should get a lot more reps over the last two games to make his case at a roster spot. But I see that has the versatility factor. Which I don't see that as much with Burnett.

13 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

So you think Holmes only shot at making the roster is as a RB at this point? The reason why I ask is because when I watch Holmes play I see a guy that's just as much of a WR as he is RB. That with his special teams abilities aside. He kind of reminds me a little of Danny Woodhead. I don't think it's a very good idea to put him on the practice squad? He'll probably get stolen rather quickly. Once again, I haven't seen enough. He needs/should get a lot more reps over the last two games to make his case at a roster spot. But I see that has the versatility factor. Which I don't see that as much with Burnett.

I honestly think Holmes needs a lot more polish to play in the NFL. To me, he is a receiving back who is not a very good blocker or a WR who cannot run very many routes....right now. So he is limited in what he can do. I'm not sure what the rules are, I think there is a roster exception, so he won't count against the 53 (I THINK), but otherwise, he is PS bound. I do like him as a receiving back, Danny Woodhead type. He's tough and has great hands, seems like a natural receiver.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

If Luvu doesn’t make this team I am writing a strongly worded letter. 

I voted that both Luvu and Basham will make it b/c of the way they played but really it will be a tough call and will be determined upon how comfortable the coaching staff is with their ILB group vs their OLB group and how many LBs they want to carry. We may see the Jets carry more LBs than last year.

Mosley, Jenkins, Copeland, Polite and Cashman are locks IMO. Polite and Cashman b/c they were draft investments that the team will not bail on yet. And Cashman, a 5th rounder has flashed already. The question will be- is he ready to step in and play significant minutes next to Mosley. 

Basham and Luvu played really well and deserve to make the team based off merit. I really liked what I've seen from Basham. 

Hewitt, Burgess, and now McLellan become more important b/c of Williamsons injury.  

Will the Jets carry 7 or even 8 LBs? Probably not. We may see Hewitt or McLellan make the team over Basham or Luvu primarily because they play ILB. That would be a shame b/c both guys have been playing so well. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

So who would be on your D-line. Just curious b/c I think B.Kaufusi has been a beast so far and there's no way he deserves to be cut.

Last year I believe they carried 6 D-linemen. Maybe this year they will carry 7. But if they carry 6, one guy has to be odd man out. I think that guy would be Shepherd. 

Leo, McLendon, Anderson, QW, Fatukasi, B.Kaufusi, Shepherd.  

I'm carrying all 7. More than we carried last year, but they all deserve to make the team. I don't want to let a quality player go just to carry an extra crappy CB or something.

If I had to cut one, it would probably be Shepherd. But I hope all 7 guys make the 53.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I voted that both Luvu and Basham will make it b/c of the way they played but really it will be a tough call and will be determined upon how comfortable the coaching staff is with their ILB group vs their OLB group and how many LBs they want to carry. We may see the Jets carry more LBs than last year.

Mosley, Jenkins, Copeland, Polite and Cashman are locks IMO. Polite and Cashman b/c they were draft investments that the team will not bail on yet. And Cashman, a 5th rounder has flashed already. The question will be- is he ready to step in and play significant minutes next to Mosley. 

Basham and Luvu played really well and deserve to make the team based off merit. I really liked what I've seen from Basham. 

Hewitt, Burgess, and now McLellan become more important b/c of Williamsons injury.  

Will the Jets carry 7 or even 8 LBs? Probably not. We may see Hewitt or McLellan make the team over Basham or Luvu primarily because they play ILB. That would be a shame b/c both guys have been playing so well. 

I think we carry at least 8 LBs, quite possibly 9.

Inside, Mosley, Hewitt, Cashman and one other guy.

Outside, Jenkins, Copeland, Luvu, Basham and Polite. I wouldn't be shocked to see Polite IRed with a mystery ailment either.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'm carrying all 7. More than we carried last year, but they all deserve to make the team. I don't want to let a quality player go just to carry and extra crappy CB or something.

If I had to cut one, it would probably be Shepherd. But I hope all 7 guys make the 53.

Me too. But I am also looking at the LB corps and the Williamson injury and I think the Jets will need to carry and extra LB. 

It's going to be a real juggling act. Could see them carrying less TEs, only 2 QB and less Safeties to make up for those deficiencies and put the best 53 together. Time for @Sarge4Tide to put together another 53 man roster prediction. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Me too. But I am also looking at the LB corps and the Williamson injury and I think the Jets will need to carry and extra LB. 

It's going to be a real juggling act. Could see them carrying less TEs, only 2 QB and less Safeties to make up for those deficiencies and put the best 53 together. Time for @Sarge4Tide to put together another 53 man roster prediction. 

I'm going 7 DL, 9 LB and 9 DBs - 5 CB and 4 S. Not sure we currently have 5 CBs worth keeping though.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Who will win these 5 Roster Spot battles and open the season on the Jets 53 man roster?

QB: Davis Webb vs Luke Falk

RB: Bilal Powell vs Elijah McGuire 

WR: Deontay Burnett vs Deonte Thompson

DL: Nathan Shepherd vs Folorunso Fatukasi

OLB: Tarell Basham vs Frankie Luvu

I think Luvu and Basham both make it.  they are interchangeable.  Luvu as an ILB/OLB and Basham as an OLB/DE

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, PepPep said:

Basham also lines up as an edge

18 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

If the Jets opt to put Valentine Holmes on the practice squad, he cannot be stolen off of it or activated at all. Next year, he'll be in Jets' camp again. Not sure what happens after that, but I don't believe the team gets the practice squad exemption for a second year. 

23 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I don’t think we carry 3 QBs

Yep, there's really zero reason to EVER burn a roster spot on the 3rd QB.  Either you have 2 in competition or an entrenched starter.  If you have a 3rd QB you're afraid of losing while putting him on the PS, keep him instead of, say, a Josh McCown type.