Barkus Green and White Scrimmage Report

Barkus

Reactions to your reactions:

• QB:  If Webb is gonna be here, he shouldn't get any reps in practice.  Make him hold a clipboard or clean some toilets.  Something other than throwing a football.  
  • RB:  Despite Cannon not getting any carries, he has to have the leg up over McGuire due to ST's contributions.  McGuire must be toast, right?
  • TE:  Jeez, when will the Wesco hype train leave the station?  Has he done anything of note all summer?
  • LB:  Luvu is a must-keep.  We should keep Basham and Kaufusi too.  Just keep all the young, promising front 7 guys please.  
  • C :  Kalil has been having trouble with shotgun snaps since he started practicing.  He's chalked it up to rustiness, but we need him to get it together for the crucial Week 3 preseason game.  
  • No injuries:  Halellujah!  
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

So so pumped about this offense so nervous about our secondary and now recently special teams 

Don't worry.  We'll lose a bunch of shootouts and go 6-10 entering a deep draft.  That would be the perfect result for this season.  Just grin and bear it, it'll all get better very soon.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Getting quite intrigued by Campbell. I had written him off completely, but he did play well against Atlanta and now he's starting in the Green&White game...hmmmm.

He's got good size, excellent speed and he plays a physical style of football. His coverage has been fairly good that I have seen.

Very interesting...

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Getting quite intrigued by Campbell. I had written him off completely, but he did play well against Atlanta and now he's starting in the Green&White game...hmmmm.

He's got good size, excellent speed and he plays a physical style of football. His coverage has been fairly good that I have seen.

Very interesting...

He was the one that crushed Avery's knee.  :( 

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Can't blame him for that though.  He was diving to make play on the ball, and they collided. Very unfortunate, but just bad luck.

For sure.  I wonder how he's holding up after that.  If he's making plays in practice that's a good sign.  Me....I'd be kicking myself for weeks.  I guess that's why I'm not a professional athlete.  OK, that and many other reasons.....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• QB:  If Webb is gonna be here, he shouldn't get any reps in practice.  Make him hold a clipboard or clean some toilets.  Something other than throwing a football.  
  • RB:  Despite Cannon not getting any carries, he has to have the leg up over McGuire due to ST's contributions.  McGuire must be toast, right?
  • TE:  Jeez, when will the Wesco hype train leave the station?  Has he done anything of note all summer?
  • LB:  Luvu is a must-keep.  We should keep Basham and Kaufusi too.  Just keep all the young, promising front 7 guys please.  
  • C :  Kalil has been having trouble with shotgun snaps since he started practicing.  He's chalked it up to rustiness, but we need him to get it together for the crucial Week 3 preseason game.  

Wesco did have a TD catch nullified by penalty in the ATL game. It was a reasonably athletic play. He is apparently a good blocker.

Agree with your LB comments. Luvu is a hard hitter and pretty athletic. I think he is what Greg Williams wants on D. Bssham and Kaufusi looked good in the ATL game.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Wesco did have a TD catch nullified by penalty in the ATL game. It was a reasonably athletic play. He is apparently a good blocker.

Agree with your LB comments. Luvu is a hard hitter and pretty athletic. I think he is what Greg Williams wants on D. Bssham and Kaufusi looked good in the ATL game.

Yep.  We know we are lacking in the EDGE and LB departments.  We can't afford to get picky there.  Keep everybody that shows promise.  Roll with just 2 QB's and 3 TE's and we should be able to make that work.  

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

C :  Kalil has been having trouble with shotgun snaps since he started practicing.  He's chalked it up to rustiness, but we need him to get it together for the crucial Week 3 preseason game.  

Otherwise if he can’t, you at least keep Harrison in until he does. Botched snaps is something they need to avoid no matter what. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have been telling people that that small, fast, quick guys look better in practice and early camp with no/limited hitting.  It is the opposite with big bangers like Wesco.  That being said, he has been wildly overrated on this site since the day he was drafted.  He is not fast.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

This is like the 2nd year in a row where I’ve totally forgotten that Peake is even still on the team.

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You are not alone.

The strange thing about that is that we get all excited about guys like Burnett, Stewart and Hansen.   Peake looked like he was going to be better than any of them after his rookie year, and his size/speed numbers are great, but here we are.  FWIW, I think his agility number suck, so he might be less suited to the slot.  That actually might be an advantage with Crowder and Enunwa both excelling in the slot. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The strange thing about that is that we get all excited about guys like Burnett, Stewart and Hansen.   Peake looked like he was going to be better than any of them after his rookie year, and his size/speed numbers are great, but here we are.  FWIW, I think his agility number suck, so he might be less suited to the slot.  That actually might be an advantage with Crowder and Enunwa both excelling in the slot. 

People got excited by Stewart? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don't worry.  We'll lose a bunch of shootouts and go 6-10 entering a deep draft.  That would be the perfect result for this season.  Just grin and bear it, it'll all get better very soon.  

Not with this QB we won't

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Not with this QB we won't

I hope you're right.  I'm tired of looking to lose games to get a higher draft spot!  enough now!!  I was all in on the "Suck for Sam" thing, and last year after Sam got hurt, I wanted to see him play great, but have the team lose to get higher draft pick (i.e. Texans, Packers games).

But to be talking about that now?  before we have even played one snap?  no way.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I hope you're right.  I'm tired of looking to lose games to get a higher draft spot!  enough now!!  I was all in on the "Suck for Sam" thing, and last year after Sam got hurt, I wanted to see him play great, but have the team lose to get higher draft pick (i.e. Texans, Packers games).

But to be talking about that now?  before we have even played one snap?  no way.

This team has never tanked properly.  It's only the fans who talked about it.  Tanking properly in 2017 would have negated us from having to cough up three 2nd rounders for Darnold.  So, yeah, it's an effective strategy when needed.

I'd prefer not to tank now that we have a franchise QB, but there's so much cleanup needed by our new GM, who did NOT get to make the decisions this past offseason, so its kind of an unprecedented situation.  I don't see how we're a contender for anything more than a Wild Card and early playoff exit, so there's really no reason not to be cool with 6-10 this season (as long as Darnold plays well in the process)  It's a much better result than 8-8 or 9-7.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

This is like the 2nd year in a row where I’ve totally forgotten that Peake is even still on the team.

Except this year, I doin't see any way that he makes it past Aug 31, or whenever cut down day is.  Cannon may make the roster as a one dimensional ST player who contributes nothing on offense.  Can't afford to give up two roster spots for guys like that.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

People are still looking to lose games for draft position?  It amazes me why these types even follow the team.  They care more about the crapshoot of a draft than actual games.  It's mind boggling.

The pro-tank crowd has been correct at nearly every turn.  Just about every single time we've had a bad season, we've won meaningless games towards the end of the season that cost us a shot at a great or better player at our draft slot.  And the "learning to win" crowd, predictably, came out to defend those late season wins in a lost season.

There's nuance to what I posted that you missed (such as not WANTING to tank but accepting that 6-10 wouldn't be the worst result to 2019), but of course you ignore that to make a blanket statement and go the #FakeFan route.  Par for the course for you.  

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I am with you.  I think 2015 was probably the only season in the last 6 or 7 where we played a meaningful football game after Thanksgiving.  Sometimes we were done by Halloween.  I want to see meaningful football in December.  If we finish with 8 or 9 wins and out of the playoffs, so be it.  It is time to start winning games and worry about the draft in January (or February).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have been telling people that that small, fast, quick guys look better in practice and early camp with no/limited hitting.  It is the opposite with big bangers like Wesco.  That being said, he has been wildly overrated on this site since the day he was drafted.  He is not fast.  

Wesco is doing everything asked of him. He is 3rd or 4th on the depth chart behind a potentially exceptional Herndon and vets.  He's a young rookie coming out of a school that used the TE as a blocker primarily.  He's doing fine.  What we saw in the Atlanta game is exactly what he will be used for. Solid blocking followed by the peel off first down or TD. He has everything you want in a TE. Even if he doesn't get it together for a large impact this season, this kid has every skill you would want in a long term 2nd TE  outside of great speed. 

Wildly overrated is a stretch, but I think he will be the greatest TE in Jets history eventually.   hahaha 

Too much? 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Come on. One more time would be good no ?   Let's suck this year but show progress and then give Big Joe a wealth of upper tier ammo for the completion of the rebuild. 

If we suck to the tune of 3-13 but losing most games by 3 or less we bolster the OL by drafting OT Andrew Thomas and C Tyler Biadasz(bad ass) in the 2nd we can finally go for the gold next year.   No? 

I'll be rooting for draft position opening day at the JN tailgate party! 

:) 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Wesco is doing everything asked of him. He is 3rd or 4th on the depth chart behind a potentially exceptional Herndon and vets.  He's a young rookie coming out of a school that used the TE as a blocker primarily.  He's doing fine.  What we saw in the Atlanta game is exactly what he will be used for. Solid blocking followed by the peel off first down or TD. He has everything you want in a TE. Even if he doesn't get it together for a large impact this season, this kid has every skill you would want in a long term 2nd TE  outside of great speed. 

Wildly overrated is a stretch, but I think he will be the greatest TE in Jets history eventually.   hahaha 

Too much? 

TE's do take longer than a lot of other positions to develop.  That's definitely true.  Per this September 2018 article:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/280521/history-says-rookie-tight-ends-struggle-to-make-immediate-impact

Over the past 15 years, only two rookie tight ends have produced more than 600 yards receiving. The Giants’ Evan Engram totaled 722 yards receiving last season, and John Carlson recorded 627 with the Seahawks in 2008.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The pro-tank crowd has been correct at nearly every turn.  Just about every single time we've had a bad season, we've won meaningless games towards the end of the season that cost us a shot at a great or better player at our draft slot.  And the "learning to win" crowd, predictably, came out to defend those late season wins in a lost season.

There's nuance to what I posted that you missed (such as not WANTING to tank but accepting that 6-10 wouldn't be the worst result to 2019), but of course you ignore that to make a blanket statement and go the #FakeFan route.  Par for the course for you.  

If losing games is so great, then how come this year we were forced to select Quinnen Williams?  Our hands were tied!  Same in 2008.  Forced, I say!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This team has never tanked properly.  It's only the fans who talked about it.  Tanking properly in 2017 would have negated us from having to cough up three 2nd rounders for Darnold.  So, yeah, it's an effective strategy when needed.

NFL teams dont tank other than in some fans imagination.

Too much at stake

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What great players did it cost us?  The draft is a crapshoot.  I remember when jet fans wanted Reggie bush, wanted to tank for him and we beat Buffalo the final week of 05 to essentially cost us bush.  We got Leon Washington in the 4tg Rd and he was basically a copy of bush.

Remember "suck for Luck"?  And he was a generational talent.  Tanking does not work.

Damn Darnold's game winning drive as Buffalo was much more important than draft position.

Good players can be found anywhere, you just need the right people looking for those players and making those decisions.  Hopefully we finally found that GM and his staff.

I will never understand the wannabe GM fans that would rather lose games so they can have more fun with draft day in April.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Webb is going to split game 4 of pre-season with Falk... Falk is a gun slinger... I love it. 

Cannon may not make the team, nor is McGuire... Hopefully they find some depth trades for them

TE is known as the hardest position for College players to transition to NFL but, its scary that you never hear anything about him... Bust watch has started

Basham is a longshot. I think they should give him some reps against better competition since he looked good against ATL 3's

sh*t another Center that can't snap shotgun... Not good

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why do we have to lose them?