Big Snell

Bronson Kaufusi

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Teams generally keep between 7-9 DL on their rosters (depending on if they play more 4-3 or 3-4).  Kaufasi is listed as the 2nd team behind Anderson so unless that changes, he's pretty much locked in.  The guy who I'm curious about is Fatukasi.  He looked good in his start last week.  I think he could end up pushing Nathan Shepherd for a spot.

I don't think Shepard is a natural football player. I think his career heads back to the bar as a stiff muscled bouncer. Foley Fat takes his spot.

• Upvote 2

I don't think him being cut is at all a consideration right now.  He's looked damn good, so the only thing to consider would be, if he's buried on the depth chart at the team's strongest position, they might shop him around a bit, as there might be some offers out there that could help them strengthen at a different position in return.

On the flip side, I'm not going to lie, if it were up to me, the depth of the line would have me seriously considering shopping Leo around right now.  Quinnen, Anderson, McLendon can hold down the starting line without him, and guys like Kaufusi keep the depth strong.  No idea how much teams would be willing to offer for Leo, given he's in a contract year, but I'd certainly listen.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

On the flip side, I'm not going to lie, if it were up to me, the depth of the line would have me seriously considering shopping Leo around right now.  

I'd wait until a few weeks into the season to try to trade Leo.  If he shows something positive, combined with contending teams having injuries along their D-Lines, that would be the best time to trade him.  Right now would be the worst time to try to move him in terms of value we could get back.  

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't think him being cut is at all a consideration right now.  He's looked damn good, so the only thing to consider would be, if he's buried on the depth chart at the team's strongest position, they might shop him around a bit, as there might be some offers out there that could help them strengthen at a different position in return.

On the flip side, I'm not going to lie, if it were up to me, the depth of the line would have me seriously considering shopping Leo around right now.  Quinnen, Anderson, McLendon can hold down the starting line without him, and guys like Kaufusi keep the depth strong.  No idea how much teams would be willing to offer for Leo, given he's in a contract year, but I'd certainly listen.

I doubt any team is interested in Leo. No doubt because he was a 1st round 6th overall, the Jets will not accept some lame deal, plus the trading team has to pay him a fortune. I think we see Leo + QW this year.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd wait until a few weeks into the season to try to trade Leo.  If he shows something positive, combined with contending teams having injuries along their D-Lines, that would be the best time to trade him.  Right now would be the worst time to try to move him in terms of value we could get back.  

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I would be in no rush to ship him out or anything, but simply letting teams know that they were welcome to make offers.

If it's nothing but low-end crap offers than screw it, he's certainly worth more than that.  However, it only takes one team to be convinced at the right moment in order for the deal to happen, just like with Richardson, so there's no reason not to at least listen.  If they were to similarly get an offer of a second, I'd take it in a moment and certainly not take the gamble for more to come (although I doubt they'd get that offer now).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I doubt any team is interested in Leo. No doubt because he was a 1st round 6th overall, the Jets will not accept some lame deal, plus the trading team has to pay him a fortune. I think we see Leo + QW this year.

I think there'd be some interest, but I agree that the need for contract would likely keep the trade offers lower, but you just never know until you try.  While Richardson had proven more when his deal was made, he also had more baggage that came with him, so you just need a similar circumstance of that one team being convinced enough.

With that said, I do think the idea of a Kaufusi trade for a player at another team's position of strength would be a more likely circumstance, even if less ideal.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think there'd be some interest, but I agree that the need for contract would likely keep the trade offers lower, but you just never know until you try.  While Richardson had proven more when his deal was made, he also had more baggage that came with him, so you just need a similar circumstance of that one team being convinced enough.

With that said, I do think the idea of a Kaufusi trade for a player at another team's position of strength would be a more likely circumstance, even if less ideal.

We got to keep the cheap guys on D & get rid of the overpaid & underperforming ie. Leo & Tru next offseason. Add a stud WR & build the SH*T out of this Oline so Sam can work! Patriots might try to get Damien Harris (whos had a GREAT CAMP & looks very quick & can catch out of the backfield) through waivers. Jets are 3rd in line & I hope we steal his azz & get them back for Woodhead. Harris would be great behind Bell & TY.

32 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

where did we get him from? I get him mixed up with Fatukasi.

Ravens 2016 3rd rounder out of BYU, we picked him up in Sep 2018 after the Ravens waived him, then stashed him on the Practice Squad.

With the Ravens he only played in 3 games, with 1 start and made 4 tackles.  He's already 28 years old (due, I assume, to traditional Mormon missionary work).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we can't keep all 3, we should cut Shepherd in a heartbeat if it means keeping Kaufusi and Fatukasi.  

If we could cut Shepherd and get in a lineman named Taufaksi and could run out Kaufusi, Fatukasi and Taufaksi at once, that would be awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Big Snell said:

All through mini-camps and training camp I keep hearing this guys name. Greg Williams had a point system in early camps for turnovers,knockdowns and pressures, and in an interview with Leonard Williams he stated that Kaufusi was way ahead of anyone in points. He's looked fantastic in preseason and has been getting pressure on quite a bit of the plays that he's in. Do you guys feel that he makes the team or is he gonna be a victim of the numbers game.

He is just an extremely large human. Physical freak... So if they can corral him into a player it may be interesting to see. Not sure he is nothing more then a situational player ATM.

8 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

If we could cut Shepherd and get in a lineman named Taufaksi and could run out Kaufusi, Fatukasi and Taufaksi at once, that would be awesome. 

I don't see a Taufaski but there's another Kaufusi on the Saints.  Our Bronson Kaufusi's younger brother.  He's went undrafted and is a 26-year old rookie:

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/players-roster/corbin-kaufusi/

o1oeivavtv06ezaxcolb.jpg

• Upvote 1

One thing to keep in mind about Kaufusi is that he went to BYU and did a Mormon mission.  That made him an older rookie.  He is already 28.  Fatukasi is only 24.  Shepherd was an older rookie and is 25.  Fatukasi and Shepherd are under team control through 2021, Kaufusi is on a one year deal.  I think they will all make it, with Stout, Sanders and Phillips looking to make the practice squad.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

2nd team DE back-up to Henry Anderson, the dude is 6'7" he's a small forward and the kind of guy you hate having to try and get a pass over or through

Kony Ealy 2.0 

We got to keep the cheap guys on D & get rid of the overpaid & underperforming ie. Leo & Tru next offseason. Add a stud WR & build the SH*T out of this Oline so Sam can work! Patriots might try to get Damien Harris (whos had a GREAT CAMP & looks very quick & can catch out of the backfield) through waivers. Jets are 3rd in line & I hope we steal his azz & get them back for Woodhead. Harris would be great behind Bell & TY.

With all of the hard decisions coming for the guys to keep in the DL rotation every idea should be explored. As you said keeping the less expensive and younger guys is a really good idea. Retaining players because of the old thought process of having guys we are “supposed to keep” should be gone.
Sure there are contracts and guaranteed money as well as cap hits, but having the cycle of young and hungry guys replacing the expensive vets would be optimal. I hope we get to that sooner than later.

That said, if we have to make a choice between Fartulasi, kaufusi, Shepherd, and McClendon I would seriously consider moving McClendon.
They guaranteed him _$2.5 mil this season. That should not be enough alone to warrant allowing younger guys showing more on the field in preseason.

As much as I like McClendon and his leadership he is old and his stats are not that difficult to replicate with a young DL rotation. I’d hate to see young, inexpensive potential walk out the door to keep a vet near the end of his career.
Especially this season when we are most likely not on a championship ru.

The only guy he may push out is shepherd. As much as I like him too, I think Fatukasi has been showing a bit more recently.

Any thoughts on the potential of McClendon being the odd man out?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I think you still need some older vets on the team.  This is a VERY young defense.  The only other starter-quality player I can think of on our defense with 5 years of experience is Mosley and it's his first year with the team.  Well Trumaine Johnson too, but I don't know if he has demonstrated any sense of leadership.  I think keeping McLendon makes sense this year.  It's not like he can't play.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

With all of the hard decisions coming for the guys to keep in the DL rotation every idea should be explored. As you said keeping the less expensive and younger guys is a really good idea. Retaining players because of the old thought process of having guys we are “supposed to keep” should be gone.
Sure there are contracts and guaranteed money as well as cap hits, but having the cycle of young and hungry guys replacing the expensive vets would be optimal. I hope we get to that sooner than later.

That said, if we have to make a choice between Fartulasi, kaufusi, Shepherd, and McClendon I would seriously consider moving McClendon.
They guaranteed him _$2.5 mil this season. That should not be enough alone to warrant allowing younger guys showing more on the field in preseason.

As much as I like McClendon and his leadership he is old and his stats are not that difficult to replicate with a young DL rotation. I’d hate to see young, inexpensive potential walk out the door to keep a vet near the end of his career.

The only guy he may push out is shepherd. As much as I like him too, I think Fatukasi has been showing a bit more recently.

Kaufusi is 285.  I don't think he can replace McClendon.  He is more DE than NT.  McClendon, Fatukasi and Sanders the UDFA out of Troy fit the NT profile.  Shepherd is also listed at 315, though they played him more at 3-4 DE than inside last year.  I am not sure exactly what Gregg Williams plans to do with this group.  Kaufusi can play all over the front, but I don't think he is as viable to swing inside as some of the others.  He played LB one year in college.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I think you still need some older vets on the team.  This is a VERY young defense.  The only other starter-quality player I can think of on our defense with 5 years of experience is Mosley and it's his first year with the team.  Well Trumaine Johnson too, but I don't know if he has demonstrated any sense of leadership.  I think keeping McLendon makes sense this year.  It's not like he can't play.

5 years is ancient.  I get that McClendon is a quality player and a team leader.  That adds value no matter what, but I don't accept the everybody else is so young argument. Jamal Adams is in his 3rd  year.  He is enough of a vet to lead.  Any defense relying on multiple guys with over 5 years of experience is OLD.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KRL said:

It would be horrible roster management if Kaufusi didn't make the team.  He seems to

have a knack for compressing the pocket and/or knocking passes down

Yeah, if he doesn't make it that would be very Kaufusing to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kaufusi is 285.  I don't think he can replace McClendon.  He is more DE than NT.  McClendon, Fatukasi and Sanders the UDFA out of Troy fit the NT profile.  Shepherd is also listed at 315, though they played him more at 3-4 DE than inside last year.  I am not sure exactly what Gregg Williams plans to do with this group.  Kaufusi can play all over the front, but I don't think he is as viable to swing inside as some of the others.  He played LB one year in college.

5 years is ancient.  I get that McClendon is a quality player and a team leader.  That adds value no matter what, but I don't accept the everybody else is so young argument. Jamal Adams is in his 3rd  year.  He is enough of a vet to lead.  Any defense relying on multiple guys with over 5 years of experience is OLD.

No...5 years is not ancient.  It's pretty much average and close to peak in the NFL with regard to defenses.  Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack are going into their 6th years.  Von Miller and JJ Watt are going into their 9th years.  Those are the top 4 defensive players in the league (NFL top-100).  Bobby Wagner and Stephon Gilmore are the next two and they are going into their 8th years.  Adams is a young leader but I think teams need (and coaches want) older vets in the mix who can steady things when they aren't going well, corral in the young guys when they get hot-headed, and generally keep things running more smoothly.    Read this:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/30/new-york-jets-defensive-tackle-steve-mclendon-leadership-speech/

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

While I think, in theory, it would seem to make most sense for McLendon to be the odd man out first, for the concept of present vs future talent, the difference is that the overwhelming majority of their DL depth is among the DE/DT folks.  McLendon on the other hand, is one of the only very few true NTs on the team, along with Fatukasi.  While I don't think the position carries the same weight as it once did in today's pass-first NFL, it's still a necessity for at least some downs of the 3-4 base D.  If you send McLendon packing, then assuming your starting lineup is Leo/Quinnen/Anderson, at least one of your players would be horribly misused in the process, as any one of them would ultimately be an inferior player to McLendon (strictly at the NT position, of course) at a far higher price.

21 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I think, in theory, it would seem to make most sense for McLendon to be the odd man out first, for the concept of present vs future talent, the difference is that the overwhelming majority of their DL depth is among the DE/DT folks.  McLendon on the other hand, is one of the only very few true NTs on the team, along with Fatukasi.  While I don't think the position carries the same weight as it once did in today's pass-first NFL, it's still a necessity for at least some downs of the 3-4 base D.  If you send McLendon packing, then assuming your starting lineup is Leo/Quinnen/Anderson, at least one of your players would be horribly misused in the process, as any one of them would ultimately be an inferior player to McLendon (strictly at the NT position, of course) at a far higher price.

They'll keep McClendon 1 more year for Attitude, GW is teaching these guys what it takes & McClendon is like a coach out there & on the bench. He'll be gone next year for sure. 

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Teams generally keep between 7-9 DL on their rosters (depending on if they play more 4-3 or 3-4).  Kaufasi is listed as the 2nd team behind Anderson so unless that changes, he's pretty much locked in.  The guy who I'm curious about is Fatukasi.  He looked good in his start last week.  I think he could end up pushing Nathan Shepherd for a spot.

Teams that play a 3-4 like the Jets of the past, have normally kept 6 on their roster.  I could see the Jets keeping 7, if they continue as a 3-4 defense, but that would be the maximum.

Apparently he's a pretty big fan of analytics. The Athletic article so I'll only post a snippet

https://theathletic.com/1147227/2019/08/19/professional-mathlete-how-bronson-kaufusi-utilizes-real-time-analytics-while-on-the-field-for-the-jets/

Advanced stats, thanks in part to the Oakland Athletics and their famous “Moneyball,” have become most prominent in baseball. In football, there’s still a bit of gap in trying to understand where they can be impactful. Kaufusi sees two primary avenues. The first: Predicting what’s to come. By analyzing the down, distance, personnel and coach’s tendency, you can narrow it down to a high probability that said team runs a specific set of plays, putting you a “step ahead,” he said. The second is by determining which players impact the game the most.

“So say you start grading the film and you grade the players using a specific scale,” Kaufusi said. “You take that, then mix it in with field position, down and distance and how many yards the offense gains. You can then boil it down to which players positively impact the field position most during games. Field position, a lot of people don’t realize, is the main factor in winning games. So, effectively, you can say that X player on average affected the outcome of the game X most.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm not sold on Shepherd but have thought of jettisoning McClendon to make room for youth and he probably would return a higher pick/considerations.

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's funny. As I wrote that post very quickly as I tried to squeeze it into the 5 min I had available, I thought to myself... I hope people understand that I know Kaufusi is more of  DE than DT and I'm more speaking about the rotation as a whole.  Oh well... they'll get it.  lol 

In the instance you are referencing, I would still rather have Fatukasi or Shepherd than Mclendon if have to lose one. I'm certainly not lobbying for creating of the cut Mclendon thread, but I'm just more into keeping young guys with actual potential that seem to want to play than guys who's leadership is considered a factor to outweigh youth and potential.  It's always nice to have solid vet leadership especially when the guy isn't a compete turd, but if we are gonna cut one I hope it's Mclendon. For the long game. Who is most likely to be a part of next year's push for the AFC east title?  Mclendon with another year on his body or Fatukasi?   That's all I'm saying really. 

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I hear that, but like you said it's really taking a look at the overall value of the position. We have Q and Fatukasi that can play the NT. I'm thinking Shepherd could play it as well.  It's a look that is not as relied upon as it once was and with that being considered I would think it paramount to look to the youth of the squad for long term contributions. 

I don't see Mclendon on the team next year. I'd hate to lose one of these young guys (assuming the CS likes them as much as I think they do) for a short term benefit.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out. DL, WR, RB and TE are positional groups I'm really anxious about seeing who is retained. 

As an aside I saw that Tre Mcbride was doing decently somewhere this preseason. I can't believe I'm too burnt to remember where and I'm typing fast right now and I'm not stopping to look it up lol   I liked him last year and wanted to keep him. Hanson is playing too. :o  

The cuts are always bitter sweet for me and I'm always bent out of shape about it. I';m sure this season will be no different for me.  As long as Powell makes the team I think I'll be ok. hahaha 

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Teams that play a 3-4 like the Jets of the past, have normally kept 6 on their roster.  I could see the Jets keeping 7, if they continue as a 3-4 defense, but that would be the maximum.

Usually, they keep 2-deep plus one developmental player.  So a pure 3-4 team would probably keep 7, possibly 6.  But any team that plays even partial 4-3 needs more than that.