NFL Trade Rumors: Why Jets could be sneaky bidder for Texan's Jadeveon Clowney

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not sure this is true.  The NFL is funny like that - teams get good very fast.

1. if Darnold takes as big as a leap as it seems he has -
  2. Robby looks like he can be a real #1,
  3. Bell is in his old form,
  4. Montgomery is as good as he's looked....
  5. our new Center and Guard play are major upgrades
  6. with Adams continuing to get better
  7. Mosley playing like he did in Balt
  8. Q. Williams making an impact.

Now, I'm not saying all of those things will happen but this is a very different team and one that, if the pieces fall together, can absolutely compete for a championship. 

Adding a legitimate pass rusher can be the thing that puts them over the top.

The ceiling on this current Jets team is the highest I can ever remember it.  Stop and think about that for a second....I'm not saying everyone of the things you enumerated is going to happen, but they all COULD happen.  And, you didn't even mention that Herndon could develop into a serious threat at TE, maybe even a Top 10 TE in the NFL.....or that Crowder can be uniquely dangerous in the slot, like an Edelman-light.

There are SOOO many possibilities for this team that they don't even need 10 things to go their way.  If Darnold continues to ascend and then maybe a handful of those other things happen (QW is an instant beast, Bell simply plays like he did in 2017, etc.) this team could win 9 or 10 games in the blink of an eye.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 of the top 4 guys who led the league in sacks last year were not 1st round picks.

And the 2 that were 1st round picks were not top 10 picks.

Pass rushers can be found anywhere in the draft.

Extremely deceptive statistic. For every first round draft pick, there are more than 10 guys in the league that were not drafted in the first round (or at all). The fact that half of last year’s sack leaders came from the <10% of players taken in the first round says all you need to know about a team’s odds of finding such a guy in rounds 2-7 or as an UDFA.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't trade a first rounder. But If he could be had for a 2nd or 3rd I wouldn't be upset at all. If we got clowney we would definitely have a sick front 7.

Worst case scenario is that he leaves via free agency and jets probably get a 3rd Rd comp pick back. They could also trade him next off-season and try to recoup a better draft pick. If he plays lights out we get first crack at re-signing him, and good OLB's don't hit free agency often. I dont see a lot of downside to a move like this. 

If you had to sign 1 to a long-term deal would you rather give it to clowney or Leo? 

1 hour ago, naturalscience said:

Jadeveon Clowney has averaged about 40 tackles a season and just under 6 sacks a season.

Jordan Jenkins has averaged about 40 tackles a season and just over 4 sacks a season.

This.

It’s not that Clowney isn’t better than Jenkins, because clearly he is, but he’s not the edge rush messiah. 

Short-termism ruins most sports franchises. I’d rather play the long game and bet on Darnold’s future than gamble draft picks and a massive contract on Clowney. 

Save those dollars, and especially those draft picks, and let our GM build around Sam properly. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Or...ya know...actually you might not know...not giving up assets to give a guy a record setting contract...and..this one is going to cause you to sh*t yourself...if you continually draft good players, you don't have to give out record setting contracts every year.

Well, I dont know if you know I only know what I know and I don't know if you know about what I know, you know? You can't build a team purely from "good drafting". Even when - now youre gonna have lactose intolerant japanese jew at the wisconsin dairy fair diarrhea here- even when you resign your own players to new contracts, you are signing free agents. So now that we're both covered in our own sh*t let's be clear that you're not suggesting that you NEVER spend money on free agents and that you dont think teams that win super bowls were built purely from the draft. And about that continually drafting good players...

Now let's both enjoy the seasons that non-Jet draftees Jamison Crowder and CJ Mosely and Kelechi Osemele and Ryan Kalil and Ty Montgomery and Leveon Bell are going to have and hopefully you won't sh*t yourself too hard.

While we're on it, perhaps you can tell me since you seem to be an expert in this area...does a Chicago Bear sh*t in the woods? I don't know. Perhaps Kalil Mack and his record setting deal that transformed them into the league's best defense and propelled them into the playoffs can tell us.

The idea that ANYONE is suggesting you give record setting contracts every year is a strawman - so please - and I'm going to put this in terms you'll understand....cut the crap. Capisce?

What Rich Cimini fails to understand is it sounds great that you can tag and trade J Clowney .   Can you?  Why didn't any team trade with Houston to acquire Clowney when they could possible have signed him to a longterm deal. ( guys been on the trade market awhile now).  Time has passed , where  

you can't sign him longterm, and can only pay him on the franchise tag,

Teams are scaried giving up a lot draft capital to acquire, and than having to pay him a large salary also. ( player had microfracture surgery on his knee already- makes it more risky.

Jets can't move him next year than they are stuck paying him on the franchise tag, and have lost all that draft capital to acquire him.

If the Jets trade for Clowney, they better have longterm plans for the player.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The ceiling on this current Jets team is the highest I can ever remember it.  Stop and think about that for a second....I'm not saying everyone of the things you enumerated is going to happen, but they all COULD happen.  And, you didn't even mention that Herndon could develop into a serious threat at TE, maybe even a Top 10 TE in the NFL.....or that Crowder can be uniquely dangerous in the slot, like an Edelman-light.

There are SOOO many possibilities for this team that they don't even need 10 things to go their way.  If Darnold continues to ascend and then maybe a handful of those other things happen (QW is an instant beast, Bell simply plays like he did in 2017, etc.) this team could win 9 or 10 games in the blink of an eye.

Agreed.  For me,  It's mostly because we have a legitimate, modern, NFL offense for the first time in probably 20 years.  This isn't going to be a scared offense looking to kill the clock and hope.  

We're going to take it to teams, push the ball down field and be a threat to score on almost every play.  We have weapons everywhere. 

At worst we're going to be a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.  For me,  It's mostly because we have a legitimate, modern, NFL offense for the first time in probably 20 years.  This isn't going to be a scared offense looking to kill the clock and hope.  

We're going to take it to teams, push the ball down field and be a threat to score on almost every play.  We have weapons everywhere. 

At worst we're going to be a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

No more calls, we have a winner! This, in a nutshell.

• Sympathy 1

After drafting QW, Leo is not getting top 5 DT money in NY, also we'll cut ties with Tru too after this season. If you can trade a #2 for Clowney, the money saved with Leo & Tru gone after this season equals that out & now we go into 2020 draft looking for Oline, CBs & WRs. 

You get leads with this offense & Clowney, Leo, QW, Anderson, Mosely, Adams getting after QBs in must pass mode, we could win a lot of games. I want to win a lot of games, adding Clowney helps with that. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The ceiling on this current Jets team is the highest I can ever remember it. 

This team’s ceiling is wildcard, and that is a distant ceiling. This is a 7-8 win team. 

You must be young. We went into 1999 at +700 to win the SB. What a heartbreaker.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

This teams ceiling is wildcard, and that is a distant ceiling. This is a 7-8 win team.

You must be young. We went into 1999 at +700 to win the SB. What a heartbreaker.

The ceiling is much higher, long term, because of Darnold. 

The overall roster is not as good as 98, 99, 2002, 2004, 2009, or 2010. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

The ceiling is much higher, long term, because of Darnold. 

The overall roster is not as good as 98, 99, 2002, 2004, 2009, or 2010. 

Longterm I will grant. I am not on the Darnold hype train yet (burned too many times before), but I’m in line for tickets.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

See how you feel about that when you don't have a 1st again next year. 

I wish Macc traded all his picks every year for proven players, he was that bad at drafting. But agree we need ammo to see if Douglas can shoot straight. Easy to take strong positions with conviction when someone else has the final say. Once you become “the man,” some tend to get super risk adverse (Macc) some embrace it (Dorsey).

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, fusionCA said:

Mike Maccagnan would have traded for Clowney.

thats all you need to know ...

Trading for him is not the issue; it is what you have to give up.  A shrewd GM would get him for his asking price or not deal at all.   Mac on the other hand... 

Clowney is a good player, but I'm not sure he's a guy I want to invest draft capital and a long term contract on right now. I'd prefer doing the opposite, both now and after this season. By that I mean not resigning Leo, letting other FA's go, and acquiring as many picks for next April as possible. We have a new GM, and although I think people here have been a bit over the top in their praise of him, I think he will look to build a team that is strong in the trenches on offense, and look to upgrade at CB next year. I want to give him the ammo he needs to do this.

I could see this move if we could acquire Clowney in a trade for Leo, or Avery Williamson (oops, scratch that), but I'm not giving up picks.

One more thing here. Someone mentioned letting Tru go next year... sorry, I'm not on board with that. I know he wasn't great last year, but he was better then anything else we had, or have been able to get. My point is, getting great or even good CBs is hard to do. We see that, don't we? If we already have one, I'm not letting him go.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

After drafting QW, Leo is not getting top 5 DT money in NY, also we'll cut ties with Tru too after this season. If you can trade a #2 for Clowney, the money saved with Leo & Tru gone after this season equals that out & now we go into 2020 draft looking for Oline, CBs & WRs. 

You get leads with this offense & Clowney, Leo, QW, Anderson, Mosely, Adams getting after QBs in must pass mode, we could win a lot of games. I want to win a lot of games, adding Clowney helps with that. 

Leo and next year’s first for Clowney

Let’s go Joe

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Leo and next year’s first for Clowney

Let’s go Joe

I want Clowney too but that’s way too much. Most I would give is a 2nd and a 5th and that’s the max. That way if we don’t like the fit we can get a 3rd comp pick if we decide to not resigned him.

17 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

pantera GIF

I saw them on the The Great Southern Trendkill Tour.  Most insane pit I have ever seen.  It's like half the general prison population within 100 miles showed up.  Some huge biker took a beer keg and threw it into the back of a somebody's camper.  Great show though.  They brought out strippers to dance before they played.  Phil was so f----ed up on heroin though.  I can see why they eventually broke up the band because of it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

I wish Macc traded all his picks every year for proven players, he was that bad at drafting. But agree we need ammo to see if Douglas can shoot straight. Easy to take strong positions with conviction when someone else has the final say. Once you become “the man,” some tend to get super risk adverse (Macc) some embrace it (Dorsey).

That's actually a great point. The truth is our job as fans is pretty easy even if it's been painful as hell over the past 50 years.  Yelling directions from the rafters like on The Price is Right is easy. When you're on the stage and the decision/choice is in your hands it becomes significantly more difficult. For all of Macc's warts he broke a trend that this franchise was very consistent in with his risk averse tactic of picking the "sure thing" in the first.  We have had only one first rd bust in his 5 drafts with Lee (and the jury is still out on him. KC seems to like him). 

Leo, Adams, Sam and Q  are most likely not busts. Some may even end up being perennial all pros. 

With a recent history of Coples, Milliner, Sheldon, Wilson, Wilkerson, and The Ghost in the first, we should certainly be aware of just how bad a draft can be.  The BPA philosophy at the top of the draft at least ebbed that for us. 

That's why I'm hoping Douglas' pedigree really shaped him into being a hybrid of both mindsets. There's nothing wrong with BPA as a basic guideline to a draft philosophy, but need simply HAS to be included in the thinking unless it's a major reach to get there.  Douglas having so much time with the very strong and consistent Ravens player selection process and then 3 yrs with Roseman's new way of over stacking the trenches on both sides of the ball could really be the perfect match for what we need in a GM. 

An intelligent and knowledgable player evaluator with a set of brass balls is what the doctor ordered. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's actually a great point. The truth is our job as fans is pretty easy even if it's been painful as hell over the past 50 years.  Yelling directions from the rafters like on The Price is Right is easy. When you're on the stage and the decision/choice is in your hands it becomes significantly more difficult. For all of Macc's warts he broke a trend that this franchise was very consistent in with his risk averse tactic of picking the "sure thing" in the first.  We have had only one first rd bust in his 5 drafts with Lee (and the jury is still out on him. KC seems to like him). 

Leo, Adams, Sam and Q  are most likely not busts. Some may even end up being perennial all pros. 

With a recent history of Coples, Milliner, Sheldon, Wilson, Wilkerson, and The Ghost in the first, we should certainly be aware of just how bad a draft can be.  The BPA philosophy at the top of the draft at least ebbed that for us. 

That's why I'm hoping Douglas' pedigree really shaped him into being a hybrid of both mindsets. There's nothing wrong with BPA as a basic guideline to a draft philosophy, but need simply HAS to be included in the thinking unless it's a major reach to get there.  Douglas having so much time with the very strong and consistent Ravens player selection process and then 3 yrs with Roseman's new way of over stacking the trenches on both sides of the ball could really be the perfect match for what we need in a GM. 

An intelligent and knowledgable player evaluator with a set of brass balls is what the doctor ordered. 

And to have so much confidence in his process to be able to go against consensus when appropriate.

• Upvote 1

No matter who our GM was the bottom line was every draft has been a failure because we haven't had a young competent QB since the 80s in Obrien. Unfortunately we also had Dan Marino & Jim Kelly in this division & then morphed into Drew Bledsoe who though streaky was still better than what we had & of course the last 18 years since when Mo Lewis ushered in the Tom Brady decades. 

Every possible asset should have been used to obtain a QB. Remember when we heard the rumors Jets were interested in Wentz? Should have just pulled a Ditka & gave up the whole draft for him. There isn't 1 transcendent player on this Jets team EXCEPT SAM DARNOLD. 

While everyone except a few Jet fans here were saying 6 was too early for Mahomes, that thinking was positively ridiculous for a team that hasn't had a franchise QB since Joe Namath. The guy had SICK abilities. I still can't believe the Giants passed on Darnold. Have you watched Eli over the last 2 years? Everything changed for the NY Jets when Goodell announced the NY football Giants select Sequan Barkley. It's ushered in a new decade, a new offensive coach with head coaching experience a defensive coach with head coaching experience, a GM highly respected in NFL circles, a 5 time pro bowler decided to give it another go with the Jets, and I guarantee you guys on the bubble of other organizations are hoping they get a chance to come to this Jet team. There's a great vibe in Florham Park & its resonated throughout the league & the sports media. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetster said:

No matter who our GM was the bottom line was every draft has been a failure because we haven't had a young competent QB since the 80s in Obrien or a young healthy Chad Pennington. Unfortunately we also had Dan Marino & Jim Kelly in this division & then morphed into Drew Bledsoe who though streaky was still better than what we had & of course the last 18 years since when Mo Lewis ushered in the Tom Brady decades. 

Every possible asset should have been used to obtain a QB. Remember when we heard the rumors Jets were interested in Wentz? Should have just pulled a Ditka & gave up the whole draft for him. There isn't 1 transcendent player on this Jets team EXCEPT SAM DARNOLD. 

While everyone except a few Jet fans here were saying 6 was too early for Mahomes, that thinking was positively ridiculous for a team that hasn't had a franchise QB since Joe Namath. The guy had SICK abilities. I still can't believe the Giants passed on Darnold. Have you watched Eli over the last 2 years? Everything changed for the NY Jets when Goodell announced the NY football Giants select Sequan Barkley. It's ushered in a new decade, a new offensive coach with head coaching experience a defensive coach with head coaching experience, a GM highly respected in NFL circles, a 5 time pro bowler decided to give it another go with the Jets, and I guarantee you guys on the bubble of other organizations are hoping they get a chance to come to this Jet team. There's a great vibe in Florham Park & its resonated throughout the league & the sports media.