Shopping for TV. Geek input requested.

So, my 65" Samsung that I bought a few years ago recently went to sh*t, and for reasons I don't want to get into  and which would cause a massive spike in my blood pressure, they have totally screwed me over, and now I am in the market to imminently buy a TV.

I am torn between sticking with 65" and getting the best technology that's in my price range (LG OLED), or taking a slight step down in the tech so I can go up to 75" (one that I've been looking at is the Vizio P Series Quantum.  As far as usage, I am more of a brightly lit room, watching sports kind of guy than a dark room movie watcher.  The wall that I'm putting this thing on screams for a very large TV, so that is not a concern.

Has anyone gone through this song and dance recently?  Any advice?  Am I more likely to regret not sizing up, or not getting the OLED?

Would appreciate any insight or recommendations.  No Samsung.

I did and I went with the quantum. Burn in risk scared me off the OLEDs and Rtings.com had the quantum rated very highly and best bang for buck at the end of 18 (when I bought mine). I have a bright room as well so the high brightness is perfect.

Any questions let me know, I learned a lot after a ton of research. 

11 hours ago, CTM said:

I did and I went with the quantum. Burn in risk scared me off the OLEDs and Rtings.com had the quantum rated very highly and best bang for buck at the end of 18 (when I bought mine). I have a bright room as well so the high brightness is perfect.

Appreciate that!  I think that's the route I'm going to go as well.  Did you get the Quantum, or Quantum X (and is there a discernible difference)?

53 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Appreciate that!  I think that's the route I'm going to go as well.  Did you get the Quantum, or Quantum X (and is there a discernible difference)?

THe new one wasn't released yet. I got the 65 inch Quantum, I was debating that vs a 55" oled. I was coming from a 55 inch Samsung, another common bit of feedback was get the biggest TV you can, I'm glad I went with the 65 inch but was originally worried it would be too big

On 8/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, CTM said:

I'm in a similar situation with a somewhat bright room.  Converting what was the kids "game room" into a bit of a man cave / theater room over the next 4-8 weeks.  It's not a huge room but I can get some home theater seats in there and I was struggling between getting a projector vs. a TV.  Long story short, I'm zeroing in on an 85" Samsung model after looking at both Sony and LG.  One of the keys for me is that the Samsung seems to deal better with bright rooms and has less glare.  I looked at Rtings.com but also did a subjective test myself in stores like Best Buy, essentially using their own bright ceiling lights as a barometer.  Just standing in front of a screen, bending down a bit so that I could see the large lights on their ceiling I could compare from TV to TV which did a better job reducing glare, blurring the reflection, etc.

I'm in the homestretch and looking at both 2018 and 2019 models.  Out of curiosity, what models did you guys go with?  I might pull the trigger around Labor Day assuming there will be some sales going on.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm in a similar situation with a somewhat bright room.  Converting what was the kids "game room" into a bit of a man cave / theater room over the next 4-8 weeks.  It's not a huge room but I can get some home theater seats in there and I was struggling between getting a projector vs. a TV.  Long story short, I'm zeroing in on an 85" Samsung model after looking at both Sony and LG.  One of the keys for me is that the Samsung seems to deal better with bright rooms and has less glare.  I looked at Rtings.com but also did a subjective test myself in stores like Best Buy, essentially using their own bright ceiling lights as a barometer.  Just standing in front of a screen, bending down a bit so that I could see the large lights on their ceiling I could compare from TV to TV which did a better job reducing glare, blurring the reflection, etc.

I'm in the homestretch and looking at both 2018 and 2019 models.  Out of curiosity, what models did you guys go with?  I might pull the trigger around Labor Day assuming there will be some sales going on.

I went with a 75" Vizio P Series Quantum X, which I felt like struck the best balance for my needs (75 inches, brighter room, watch a lot of sports) and budget (in the roughly 2k range).

While I'm not an expert, this seems to be one of most stunningly bright and vibrant TV's you can get today, which I think will play well in my brighter room.  I also think this particular model, with its 480 local dimming zones, will get as close to the dark blacks of OLED that you can reasonably desire.

• Upvote 2

I went with a 75" Vizio P Series Quantum X, which I felt like struck the best balance for my needs (75 inches, brighter room, watch a lot of sports) and budget (in the roughly 2k range).
While I'm not an expert, this seems to be one of most stunningly bright and vibrant TV's you can get today, which I think will play well in my brighter room.  I also think this particular model, with its 480 local dimming zones, will get as close to the dark blacks of OLED that you can reasonably desire.

Do not buy a Vizio!! Do not!!! You will regret the sh*t out of it when it goes bad, and it will go bad. They hang their hat on US based customer service, but trust me they hire the biggest idiots in the country and have the most painstaking warranty claim process I’ve ever dealt with.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Guess I was late. Sorry bro, hope it works out for you. I was without a tv for almost 4 months thanks to Vizio.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:10 PM, jetstream23 said:

Be careful with the tariff situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

A "Nano Cell" TV with a 3-star rating for $1,000? ....I'd be a little skeptical.

Care to elaborate?  There is another nano tv for 800 also

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PP4882Q/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07PP4882Q&pd_rd_w=iBsRi&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=NI9fe&pf_rd_r=65PS3Q71D8G5VW2NZ8RM&pd_rd_r=0e8efba3-889d-424d-9c49-65ba47e8ad8f&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRjdPRUwxMVpZWjU3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODYxNTUwSVVLRUJaTDMwNzhMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTg3MzEzUUhQQ1ZXQVlCN1kmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

My current tv is 8 years old.  I think we spent 2k at the time for it.  

I have a 9 year old who plays ball in the living room.  Don’t want to spend a lot of money. 

I have ave no idea what nano is or means.   I do think we will be getting an Xbox in a few months if that matters on tvs. 

Thanks

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Care to elaborate?  There is another nano tv for 800 also

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PP4882Q/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07PP4882Q&pd_rd_w=iBsRi&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=NI9fe&pf_rd_r=65PS3Q71D8G5VW2NZ8RM&pd_rd_r=0e8efba3-889d-424d-9c49-65ba47e8ad8f&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRjdPRUwxMVpZWjU3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODYxNTUwSVVLRUJaTDMwNzhMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTg3MzEzUUhQQ1ZXQVlCN1kmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

My current tv is 8 years old.  I think we spent 2k at the time for it.  

I have a 9 year old who plays ball in the living room.  Don’t want to spend a lot of money. 

I have ave no idea what nano is or means.   I do think we will be getting an Xbox in a few months if that matters on tvs. 

Thanks

I'm just saying to be careful of anything with 13 reviews and only 3 stars out of 5.  I understand nano technology in the broad sense (the Physics of it), but not sure what LG means when they say the TV is contstructed of "nano particles."  It still just seems like a 4K TV in terms of resolution.  It could be a really good 55" TV, but the "Nano" terminology just seems a little gimmicky to me.

I'd simply suggest comparing it to several other options.  55" is a very common size and there are models from Sony, Samsung, etc.  Also take a look at Rtings.com as a decent source of objective comparison information and ratings.

Another example of a 4K TV that's 55" from Samsung with many more reviews and better ratings on Amazon under $900....

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN55Q6F-Flat-QLED-Smart/dp/B07BKK4NTS/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=55"+4K&qid=1566669859&s=electronics&sr=1-13

• Upvote 1

We bought an lg for our weekend home for like 450 bucks. Think 46 inches.  It’s great so our needs are limited.  We just want to be able to watch Netflix with pressing one button and have a good picture.   Do we really need to spend 2k?

Absolutely not....no reason to spend 4K.  With 55" being a common size I'd just compare several manufacturers and models.  I have nothing against LG...it's a good South Korean company, similar to Samsung.  I do put some stock in the reviews that people provide and that's the one red flag I saw with the TV you provided the link for.

EDIT:  The second link you provided has much better reviews.  I'd say just go with what you think it best.

Apparently starts sept 1 so maybe get a tv sooner. 

I'm not an expert on tariffs or import processes but I do know that when tariffs go into effect it's on the items that SHIP from that date forward, not things that are already in transit or have arrived onshore and are in warehouses or stores.  Although, some companies like Whirlpool were being accused of raising prices on items that had arrived early and weren't subject to the tariffs and counting on market confusion to let them get away with it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm just saying to be careful of anything with 13 reviews and only 3 stars out of 5.  I understand nano technology in the broad sense (the Physics of it), but not sure what LG means when they say the TV is contstructed of "nano particles."  It still just seems like a 4K TV in terms of resolution.  It could be a really good 55" TV, but the "Nano" terminology just seems a little gimmicky to me.

I'd simply suggest comparing it to several other options.  55" is a very common size and there are models from Sony, Samsung, etc.  Also take a look at Rtings.com as a decent source of objective comparison information and ratings.

Another example of a 4K TV that's 55" from Samsung with many more reviews and better ratings on Amazon under $900....

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN55Q6F-Flat-QLED-Smart/dp/B07BKK4NTS/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=55"+4K&qid=1566669859&s=electronics&sr=1-13

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So is a 4K tv okay?  My last one was a Sony Bravia but it’s very old.  I saw this Samsung also   Seems good  

The only reason to get the lg is that we got it in the Hampton house and the remote is easy to access Netflix.  So kids can do it themselves without asking me.  I have very easy bar. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, Snell41 said:

Guess I was late. Sorry bro, hope it works out for you. I was without a tv for almost 4 months thanks to Vizio.

I've been without one for over 2 now because of Samsung.  I'm sure they're all the same level of sh*t customer service, but since it was Samsung who bit me, I'm completely out on them.  Won't buy so much as a wall cable from them ever again.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, nj meadowlands said:

This was originally the top TV on my list, but I went to a few different stores and it was kind of underwhelming each time I saw it.  Nothing close to the Vizio.

Amazon is the devil