How much of a leash does Kalil have?

nico002

I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't on the opening day roster. I have a feeling he'll decide to go back into retirement, unless he just wants the money. I watch the Panther games almost every week, I live in the Carolinas. He is nowhere near the player he was, do to age, and injury. I said the same thing back in April, and again when everyone was going overboard with him signing here. 

I have no idea how his contract is structured, but if a lot of that 8 million is guaranteed, he'll obviously make the team if he wants to be here. I just don't think he's much better then Harrison at this point, maybe not at all. This move never excited me.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

just don't think he's much better then Harrison at this point, maybe not at all. This move never excited me.

Meh, maybe not a huge upgrade and certainly not a physical upgrade but he does have the IQ and ability to help Sam call protections at the LOS so mentally it is definitely an upgrade...whether or not his body can hold up for 16 more games is an entirely different conversation but in ways, yes, it is an encouraging signing, albeit, an older player.

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't on the opening day roster. I have a feeling he'll decide to go back into retirement, unless he just wants the money. I watch the Panther games almost every week, I live in the Carolinas. He is nowhere near the player he was, do to age, and injury. I said the same thing back in April, and again when everyone was going overboard with him signing here. 

I have no idea how his contract is structured, but if a lot of that 8 million is guaranteed, he'll obviously make the team if he wants to be here. I just don't think he's much better then Harrison at this point, maybe not at all. This move never excited me.

He already cashed $3M, and has an additional $3.4M tied up in per game bonuses. I suspect he'd like to play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, SteamyRayVaughn said:

Been a lurker for a long time, but this forced me to create an account. 

We are writing off Kalil based on what exactly?

Stevie Ray Vaughn was and still is my favorite musician. Texas Flood was a masterpiece!

Khalil is good depth signing... but not at that price. 

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Once Ryan Kalil plays in week one his salary fully becomes guaranteed.    So unless they cut him ,( Last cut period) he going to be with the Jets for at least the whole year.

Doesn't mean he plays all year, which is the question. How long is his leash.

My guess is if he gets beat a bunch he fakes an injury to save face.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Meh, maybe not a huge upgrade and certainly not a physical upgrade but he does have the IQ and ability to help Sam call protections at the LOS so mentally it is definitely an upgrade...whether or not his body can hold up for 16 more games is an entirely different conversation but in ways, yes, it is an encouraging signing, albeit, an older player.

I always looked at it as a huge upgrade to the depth at center. He's probably a little better than Harrison at his age, so not a huge upgrade to starter, but a huge upgrade to 2nd string.

26 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Stevie Ray Vaughn was and still is my favorite musician. Texas Flood was a masterpiece!

Khalil is good depth signing... but not at that price. 

It's a 1 year deal & we had the money, no biggie. I think JD was thinking Harrison now becomes great depth at Center & Guard. Kalil won't have to hold blocks nearly as long for Sam as they did for Newton. Cam is notorious for holding onto the ball too long & his release is much slower + he's been playing hurt A LOT which slowed him down even more. 

Kalil will be a good test for the Gase/Douglas combo.  Because
Harrison hasn't had a hiccup all summer, he's performed well and
seems to have good chemistry with Darnold.  In my book Kalil has 
to at least match Harrison's performance before he can start.  His
contract value shouldn't dictate that he starts his performance
should 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, KRL said:

should 

Agree 100%.

Chemistry is a large part of an o-line's performance and Harrison has shown that he deserves the starting job. Sam seems to trust him as well. I'd hate for us to disrupt that just because we signed a "name" player.

Let's not forget Kalil hasn't been the same player the last 2 years (injuries a factor).

I know they are giving Kalil 8 million, but I'd be ok if they brought him in because a) they wanted depth better than Toth and b) to be a locker room presence and a mentor to Harrison.

I'd be happy leaving Harrison as the starter (until his play proves he doesn't deserve it and having Kalil be a really good insurance policy

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Agree 100%.

Chemistry is a large part of an o-line's performance and Harrison has shown that he deserves the starting job. Sam seems to trust him as well. I'd hate for us to disrupt that just because we signed a "name" player.

Let's not forget Kalil hasn't been the same player the last 2 years (injuries a factor).

I know they are giving Kalil 8 million, but I'd be ok if they brought him in because a) they wanted depth better than Toth and b) to be a locker room presence and as a mentor to Harrison.

I'd be happy leaving Harrison as the starter (until his play proves he doesn't deserve it) and having Kalil be a really good insurance policy

there was always some danger in pulling a guy who retired even if only for the summer.  kahlil needs to get his mind fully back in the game.  simply missing it isn't enough of a reason.  for now, i think we just need to trust douglas' judgement on bringing this guy in.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Are you serious? How about the fact that he was RETIRED? 

The man has essentially had one practice.  I realize he snapped the ball over your beloved Sammy’s head but I think he deserves some time to learn the offense and knock off some rust.  While he announced his retirement, he did play last year so it’s not like he’s been away from the game for more than a year like Bell has.  Bell sat out a year and hasn’t played in any pre season games but I missed your how long of a leash do we give Bell thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

The man has essentially had one practice.  I realize he snapped the ball over your beloved Sammy’s head but I think he deserves some time to learn the offense and knock off some rust.  While he announced his retirement, he did play last year so it’s not like he’s been away from the game for more than a year like Bell has.  Bell sat out a year and hasn’t played in any pre season games but I missed your how long of a leash do we give Bell thread.

Fair point on Bell & Kalil. I'm sure we are all ok with the Kalil signing, but may differ on what his role should be (at this point). We'll have to trust the coaching staff to make the right decision when it comes to Kalil or Harrison starting at C.

I would say the only differences between the 2 is Bell is younger and was at the top of his game when he chose to sit out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Fair point on Bell & Kalil. I'm sure we are all ok with the Kalil signing, but may differ on what his role should be (at this point). We'll have to trust the coaching staff to make the right decision when it comes to Kalil or Harrison starting at C.

I would say the only differences between the 2 is Bell is younger and was at the top of his game when he chose to sit out.

To be quite honest I am comfortable with both of them and I agree we have to trust that the coaching staff will put the best players out there.  I have a feeling that Bell is going to have a great year.  There is reason to believe that Kalil’s experience with reading the defense and calling out line assignments is going to really help Sam this season and in the long run.  I was more making a point that we can’t go overboard reacting to a players skillset after one practice.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

should 

And apparently he was gassed today at practice with a botched snap. Not good.