How much of a leash does Kalil have?

nico002

Going to take him a while to get up to speed.  Harrison is probably still the starter as camp breaks. Darnold would have to say he was more comfortable with Kalil or that he has more confidence in him.  And I just don't see him doing that to another team mate.  Kalil will probably get a chance to start if the OL has severe lapses like they did under Long last season.  And that could be one game, and it could be four games... who knows?

7 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Agree 100%.

Chemistry is a large part of an o-line's performance and Harrison has shown that he deserves the starting job. Sam seems to trust him as well. I'd hate for us to disrupt that just because we signed a "name" player.

Let's not forget Kalil hasn't been the same player the last 2 years (injuries a factor).

I know they are giving Kalil 8 million, but I'd be ok if they brought him in because a) they wanted depth better than Toth and b) to be a locker room presence and a mentor to Harrison.

I'd be happy leaving Harrison as the starter (until his play proves he doesn't deserve it and having Kalil be a really good insurance policy

I get the point but it seems like a 34 year old Former All Pro and Probowl player should be better than Harrison any day. There's a reason he wasn't even drafted.

There's no comparison between Kalil's resume and Harrison's.  But everyone on here
would scream bloody murder if Kalil's "rust" got Darnold hurt because he went the
wrong way on a line call.  He shouldn't be the starter until he's fully up to speed.
His contract value shouldn't assure him of starting

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TNJet said:

I get the point but it seems like a 34 year old Former All Pro and Probowl player should be better than Harrison any day. There's a reason he wasn't even drafted.

Training camp isnt that important for veterans in general, Aaron Donald won DPOY and hasn't been to camp in 2 years. But in Kahil's case he actually needs to know the system, the QB, and the guys around him.

As for Harrison, saying he was undrafted is meaningless.  Hes proven to be a serviceable, obviously not elite, player.  But kahil should have to win the job or its going to hurt the "competition" that has finally started to be instilled in this team.

We have 2 above average centers - thats great depth, lets not expect either to be elite.

22 hours ago, nico002 said:

Harrison has played well and Darnold appears to be firing on all cylinders since he became the starter/ going back to last year through pre season.

If Kalil struggles early/ how long before we just pull the plug on this experiment?

u know Kalil is a HOF caliber player right? he isnt what he used to be but expecting him to play his way out of the game is asinine. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, KRL said:

There's no comparison between Kalil's resume and Harrison's.  But everyone on here
would scream bloody murder if Kalil's "rust" got Darnold hurt because he went the
wrong way on a line call.  He shouldn't be the starter until he's fully up to speed.
His contract value shouldn't assure him of starting

16 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They didn't play Kalil 8 million dollars to come out of retirement and sit on the bench. Unless he's chucking Spencer Long style snaps over Darnold's head he's gonna be out there.

$3.4M of his reported $8.4M comes from per game roster bonuses. If he sits on the bench all year, it's a $5M deal, only $3M of which is fully guaranteed (which he's already cashed). 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I saw him in the Alamo Dome in San Antonio. His brother's band (Thunderbirds) opened . Amazing evening that lasted close to 5 hours.

Nice. Saw him a few times. Central Park, twice at The Pier. Fan since discovering him via the Bowie tour. In that my brother said "you really need to check out this guy who plays like Albert King behind Bowie!"

On 8/20/2019 at 6:42 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Stevie Ray Vaughn was and still is my favorite musician. Texas Flood was a masterpiece!

Khalil is good depth signing... but not at that price. 

I missed that we were discussing SRV in this thread. I saw him a few times. He toured with Joe Cocker and played Jones Beach. He not only did his own set, but played guitar for Cocker, too, in the opening set (I think they switched off headlining on that tour, but SRV headlined that night). Brilliant guitarist. A tragic loss. 

• Upvote 1

How is he so badly out of shape?  It's not like he has to get his body back into playing shape after missing a year of Football.  He played 16 games last year and in one offseason, he's forgot how to the snap the ball and is completely out of playing shape?

Am I still supposed to be excited about this?  Because it sounds like a disaster in the making. 

More on Kalil's contract:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/22/jets-gamble-on-ryan-kalil-mitigated-by-centers-unique-roster-bonus/

Jets' gamble on Ryan Kalil mitigated by center’s unique roster bonus

Jets GM Joe Douglas took a risk when he coaxed Ryan Kalil out of retirement with a one-year, $8.4 million contract. The 34-year-old center left the Panthers this past season after his first healthy year since 2015, which coincidentally was the last year he made the Pro Bowl.

Given his age and injury history, there is no guarantee Kalil will stabilize the offensive line or even be on the field for all 16 games. But a closer look at Kalil’s contract reveals Douglas saved himself and the Jets from a potentially-bad investment.

A little less than a third of Kalil’s $8.4 million contract is tied directly to his ability to stay on the field and on the Jets roster, according to ESPN’s Rich Cimini. Kalil will earn $118,750 for every game he’s on the 53-man roster and $93,750 for every game he’s on the active 46-man roster. If he plays in every game – like he did for the Panthers in 2018 – it’ll account for $3.4 million of his one-year deal.

Considering Kalil has had some trouble staying healthy in the past, this contract looks great for the Jets.

Prior to 2018, Kalil missed 18 games between 2016-2017 with shoulder and neck injuries and missed all but five games in 2012 with a foot injury. The neck injury is part of the reason why Khalil decided to retire, and all of the wear and tear of 12 seasons and 148 games adds up, especially for a 34-year-old. 

Kalil still isn’t ready for the season after his eight-month retirement, and he only has a few weeks before his first roster bonus would kick in. By all indications, he’ll be the Jets’ starting center Week 1, especially since the alternative is Jonotthan Harrison. Kalil held up well in his final season in Carolina, so there’s no immediate cause for concern. 

The risk vs. reward for signing Kalil out of retirement was too much for Douglas and the Jets to pass up. The reward of having a Pro Bowl center to fortify the offensive line for Sam Darnold, Le’Veon Bell and the rest of the offense is invaluable for the Jets, but now that the roster bonus construction protects almost a third of his contract from injury, the Jets are in an even better financial spot with a much smaller risk.