Dolphins had the 3rd highest % of snaps with 3+ WRs

5 OLine + Darnold makes the equation simple... What other 5 positions does Gase want on the field?

I think Gase likes the TE so I'd see, in order of his preference....

• 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE
  • 2 WR, 1 RB, 2 TE (more so after Herndon returns, but putting a weak TE2 on the field over Crowder is tough to stomach)
  • 4 WR, 1 RB (blitz pickups)

Montgomery is just as interesting in this offense as Bell will be.....I could see the first play from scrimmage motioning either of these guys out wide and putting him into space, 1 on 1 with either a Safety or cover LB.

I have no idea if this offense will be good, bad, average or great.....but I'll tell you this, I think it will be really fun to watch!

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting, but keep in mind that a coach like Gase is going to tweak his offense to get the most out of his personnel. 

It's hard to predict what he's going to want to do with this particular group of players. 

Granted, but did he have a lot of awesome receivers in Miami that he just HAD to get on the field?  

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

5 OLine + Darnold makes the equation simple... What other 5 positions does Gase want on the field?

I think Gase likes the TE so I'd see, in order of his preference....

• 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE
  • 2 WR, 1 RB, 2 TE (more so after Herndon returns, but putting a weak TE2 on the field over Crowder is tough to stomach)
  • 4 WR, 1 RB (blitz pickups)

Montgomery is just as interesting in this offense as Bell will be.....I could see the first play from scrimmage motioning either of these guys out wide and putting him into space, 1 on 1 with either a Safety or cover LB.

I have no idea if this offense will be good, bad, average or great.....but I'll tell you this, I think it will be really fun to watch!

I've read he might employ some 21 sets (2 RBs, 1 TE).  Which, given our depth at RB and TE might make more sense.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Granted, but did he have a lot of awesome receivers in Miami that he just HAD to get on the field?  

definitely not. But he also didn't have Bell. 

Then again, Bell is probably a great back to have with multiple receiving options on the field. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I've read he might employ some 21 sets (2 RBs, 1 TE).  Which, given our depth at RB and TE might make more sense.

That does make sense except that you'd be keeping one of Robby, Enunwa or Crowder off the field.  But Montgomery is on par with those guys....and he's a great pass catcher.

I was (and still am) hoping that a guy like Wesco can surprise us.  I'd love to see a pure running setup like Bell, Montgomery (2 RB) with Wesco, Herndon (TE) + 1 WR.  The defense would have to anticipate run but you could honestly split ALL of those guys out, maybe going 4 wide with Wesco staying in.  Tough to defend that.

It's all about flexibility with limited personnel.  

Let's take the Rams, running 11 personnel.  

Defenses have big trouble stacking the box (8 defenders) against 11 personnel because it leaves 1 on 1 match ups outside.  This makes the running back's lives much easier.  

Last year, here is the list of guys facing the least amount of stacked boxes:

1. Cohen (He's more a pass catcher rather than a runner)

2.  Smallwood (See above)

3.  Gurley (a heavy use RB that doesn't see stacked boxes? See the list at the start of thread)

4.  Drake (See list)

5.  Penny (More elusive type guy)

6.  Williams (GB)

7.  Hines

8.  Gore

So you can see a fairly good correlation between high 11 personnel and the lack of stacked boxes.  

Now you want field separation.   

I already made the comparison of Crowder to Robert Woods in one article so we have the horizontal separation.  This is key for short routes and intermediate area.  

When McVay first got to the Rams, the first thing he did was get speed to keep the safeties honest.  He got Watkins first, and then after he was mediocre, he got Cooks.  Why? Because teams can't bring both safeties near the line, if there is a deep threat inherent in the formation.  Look at what Shanahan did when he got to Atlanta? Taylor Gabriel.  What did he do in SF? Godwin.  Same thing Philly is going to do now.  Jackson to keep the safeties back, and then betting on Ertz/Jeffery/Whitside to win intermediate areas.  

Second, inline TE that can catch.  

This was basically one of the keys to the Pats offense in past years because Gronk could block as well as be a monster on the outside.  I don't think anyone can expect to replicate it, but having someone be able to block against not stacked boxes increases your chances of positive yards.  If the defense counters with a bigger linebacker (say David Harris type) then you motion him outside and instant mismatch.  Gase tried this with Gesecki, but turns out he can't block much at all.  The Rams have Everett and I think Higsbee, who were decent two way guys.  

X factor:  The one on one nightmare.  This is where the Jets lack, IMO.  For the Rams, Kupp is a one on one nightmare because he's a great route runner.  Packers have Adam, Steelers had Brown, and Bucs have Evans.  The Jets have Enunwa.  While I believe in Enunwa, I don't think he's near those guys at all, but he needs to be a monster this season.  

The whole idea being that it's not a specialized role.   If the call is run, the TE and Enunwa can be extra blockers against what most likely won't be a stacked box.  If the call is pass, then Bell can act as an outlet option, while the TE is a legit receiving threat as well.  You don't have to get say Eric Tomlinson in to block (he can't block, but Lord knows he can't catch either) which gives away your intentions.  

If you look at the Rams, their offense took a downturn when Kupp went down, because they don't have that intermediate A level threat.  I think aside from having A star level WR as No. 1, Gase pretty much walked into a perfect set up to run 11 personnel as much as he wants, barring injuries.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Some might be surprised not to see the Pats on this list. I for one am not. They are the kings of passing out of running formations and running out of passing formations. More teams should mirror this. They completely keep defenses on their heels and make it real hard to read plays.