Dontrelle Inman coming in for a workout/tryout

I feel like you can't read too much into moves this late into preseason, particularly at any position that seems to have multiple strong candidates already there.  It's a distinct possibility that the Jets have a growing list of guys they've already penciled in at WR to make the final roster, and will simply need more bodies to take snaps at the position next week when they have a long list of guys sitting on the bench.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Gase and Douglass again proving their worth. A breath of fresh air.

Even if the Jets have little expectation of signing Inman it can't be a bad thing to keep the level of competition high and make sure the WRs at the bottom of the depth chart have their eyes open to the fact that nothing is a given.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Even if the Jets have little expectation of signing Inman it can't be a bad thing to keep the level of competition high and make sure the WRs at the bottom of the depth chart have their eyes open to the fact that nothing is a given.

Also a workout could be just that, a way to update the Front Office list of guys just in case we need to sign someone for an unforeseen reason (injury, suspension, etc)'

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How many WRs do you think we're keeping?  Robby, Enunwa, Crowder and Bellamy are locks IMO.

Peake is probably close to a lock too...especially if Boyer gets his way.

It would be good to have Inman in here for the next few weeks....if for nothing else, to get some intel on a division rival.

The Pats and Belicheat do it all the time.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I feel like you can't read too much into moves this late into preseason, particularly at any position that seems to have multiple strong candidates already there.  It's a distinct possibility that the Jets have a growing list of guys they've already penciled in at WR to make the final roster, and will simply need more bodies to take snaps at the position next week when they have a long list of guys sitting on the bench.

Also, it's due diligence if they have someone go down in season and need to sign a replacement

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Just being a wise guy. Would like to see them pursue a starting caliber corner. That's not too much too ask..

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Deontay  Burnett doesn't approve of this message

I dont get the feeling that Gase loves Burnett. I get this uncomfortable feeling he will be cut and become a very successful possession type receiver some where. The argument against this is that the official Jets site has started using Burnett as a media focus which hopefully means he is locked in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I dont get the feeling that Gase loves Burnett. I get this uncomfortable feeling he will be cut and become a very successful possession type receiver some where. The argument against this is that the official Jets site has started using Burnett as a media focus which hopefully means he is locked in.

Man I hope you're wrong but was getting the same vibe until I read Burnett replaced Dortch with the 2s in practice (Sunday?)

Just now, ljr said:

hope they both lose

I would only agree with this if there's a player who can step up and be at least comparable on special teams, while contributing elsewhere.  In the end, you can't blame the team if they give Boyer roster spot #53 for a guy that is just his, especially after how little they have done for him so far this year.  One of his guys can have a lot more meaning on game day than a different #4 RB or #7 WR who will never see the field anyway.

54 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Odds are, regardless of the position of play, Peake's roster battle is really with Cannon.  I'm guessing he loses that one (or they both lose to someone else).

This is the way I see it too.  With the Bellamy signing and Cannon emerging on specials last year, I think Peake is odd man out.  Bellamy can do what Peake does on STs and at least he gives them a little bit in the passing game. and Cannon seemed to have more impact on Specials down the stretch last year -- finished the season with 9 ST tackles to Peake's 4 on 90 fewer snaps.