All Things Sam Darnold

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You're right, should have been a catch

Arguably the best play by Darnold this preseason in terms of making things happen to get points. 

These WR's need to get their sh_t right come week 1. 

These plays need to be 6 points every time if we expect to make a serious run. 

It's been a long time. I'd like to see a Jets game in January. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I love everything about this play, but I don't think that's a pass that can be caught without extraordinary skill.  It doesn't look like much from this angle, but there was another angle that showed he really had to stretch to even get a finger on it.  

However, I love Sam's ability to move around in the pocket.  Not quite to the extent, but it reminds me of Russel Wilson.  That guy always seems to escape the first rusher by moving around.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Arguably the best play by Darnold this preseason in terms of making things happen to get points. 

These WR's need to get their sh_t right come week 1. 

These plays need to be 6 points every time if we expect to make a serious run. 

It's been a long time. I'd like to see a Jets game in January. 

Yeah, I thought that move and throw, the Herdon 31 harder when he scramble to his right and hit him and the first throw to Enunwa with Trufant draped over him are contenders.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

We have a single Baker Mayfield and his Mouth thread because he's a Cleveland Brown. 

Sam's a New York Jet, he can have as many damn threads as the people here want. 

Facts. It's close to the start of the season and Summer is about done. We got to get our minds right. I honestly think this is Brady's last year and all I would like to see is a Patriots sweep on our way to a division title. 

If we can begin the "Sam Darnold Jets era" on such a note, that would be one helluva way to do it. 

"Tears of Joy" for me wouldnt be a punk move if that happened. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Facts. It's close to the start of the season and Summer is about done. We got to get our minds right. I honestly think this is Brady's last year and all I would like to see is a Patriots sweep on our way to a division title. 

If we can begin the "Sam Darnold Jets era" on such a note, that would be one helluva way to do it. 

On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is Darnold hasn't done anything yet and 10 is I'm completely convinced he's the savior, I'm about a 7. I wanna see it, amd think I will. I don't have the utmost faith in the team's receivers as constructed, however, and I'm more hope than convinced on Gase. 

But, that said, of course this would be a very happy scenario in Jetland.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, I thought that move and throw, the Herdon 31 harder when he scramble to his right and hit him and the first throw to Enunwa with Trufant draped over him are contenders.

Gase mentioned this one in his presser today.  Talk about a great, tight window throw.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

How awesome would it be to be the ones to knock the Pats of their throne.  For most of the last 8 years (ok, 18 years), we have been watching other teams and rooting against the Pats; but when they do get beat, it always seems little bit hollow to me because it wasn't us.  

Not saying we are gonna do it this year, but how great would it be if we could.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, slats said:

On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is Darnold hasn't done anything yet and 10 is I'm completely convinced he's the savior, I'm about a 7. I wanna see it, amd think I will. I don't have the utmost faith in the team's receivers as constructed, however, and I'm more hope than convinced on Gase. 

But, that said, of course this would be a very happy scenario in Jetland.  

Im about in the same range, and I really started out at around a 2 given that I really (REALLY) didnt like Sam's last season at USC and I've always felt like USC QB's never met their expectations when coming into the league. So I admit some of my concern was also out of Darnold's hands. 

I liked what I seen last preseason given that he did show some talent, but I wasnt at all convinced. What made me feel like this dude may actually be "that guy" was the month of December. The Houston then Green Bay games showed that this kid is a player in the league. Though we lost both those games, it wasnt because of Sam Darnold not being able to lead the offense. He's essentially a child, and held his own against one of the hottest teams at the time (Houston) and went toe to toe with a GOAT. 

I punched my Sam Darnold train ticket then. 

This preseason IMO has shown that this offense wont be the offenses of the past where we score 17 points and pray that the defense can hold the opponent under that. Sam is making some really impressive throws, but most importantly, he looks like he's been there before. That's scary to think about. 

90% of this board (including myself) may have to eat crow regarding Gase, but if so that will be a dish I will enjoy if so.

I really hope our secondary can hold up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

90% of this board (including myself) may have to eat crow regarding Gase, but if so that will be a dish I will enjoy if so.

I ate my Gase crow very early on--he was the LAST guy I wanted because of all the noise that his players hated him, his front office hated him, his owner hated him and the fan base hated him.

After it turned out to be just that--noise--and now that I've actually seen the guy in action, here him talk on interviews on the radio or pressers (other than his first disaster--although 30 mins later on Michael Kay he was awesome), seen him in practice and with the guys--I am 1000% on the Gase train.

I think he's going to be an incredible coach and the fact that he brought in Douglas who then brought in a real FO, I'm sold.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I figured our QB should have such a thread on a Jets forum. 

Falcons3.gif

If plays like this are to be expected from our QB, this Jets are pointing in the right direction. 

This is a great example of pocket awareness & discipline by Darnold, helping out Chuma Edoga (#75) who got completely smoked on the play by quickly climbing back up into the pocket and flowing to the right side of the pocket that is now vacant and flicking his wrist on this beautiful pass that Q dropped. 

Q has to catch that ball. 

For a while, I just thought you were a Darnold/Jets troll, but I did see that post you made last week about how you were following Baker all through his college career, and he was the QB you wanted, etc.  and I get it.  you love the Jets, but you really wanted Baker (and God knows I thought Darnold was going #1 last year and we would probably get Baker, so maybe that was your thinking too?) so it must be hard for you.  who knows?  maybe it's Jets-Browns for the AFC title for many years to come!

At any rate, thanks for the vid!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I ate my Gase crow very early on--he was the LAST guy I wanted because of all the noise that his players hated him, his front office hated him, his owner hated him and the fan base hated him.

After it turned out to be just that--noise--and now that I've actually seen the guy in action, here him talk on interviews on the radio or pressers (other than his first disaster--although 30 mins later on Michael Kay he was awesome), seen him in practice and with the guys--I am 1000% on the Gase train.

I think he's going to be an incredible coach and the fact that he brought in Douglas who then brought in a real FO, I'm sold.

while I agree with you, and hope this continues, everything has been unicorns and rainbows for him so far.  I want to see how he handles a three game losing streak (not that I want the Jets to lose three games...)

his first "adversity" was this Williamson thing, and I must say I think he handled it brilliantly!  not many coaches admit to that being a mstake and that they regret their decision.

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

That was my concern as well, along with the Miami roster overall. I was never really impressed with what was going on over there. I think the issue with his players was a bit more than just noise, Folks like Landry literally applauded (as a Brown) when he left Miami. Something was going on down in MIA. 

However, dude kinda put that to rest when it seems like he just wants a winning culture. So to see guys like Tanny and the rest of that front office in Miami and to see how Gase had issue there, going as far as aruging with the owner of the team, to then see him come here, not even sit next to Macc during the draft and then playing his cards right to get him the heck out outta here lets me know that maybe Im listening to a one-sided viewpoint of Adam Gase. 

Putting the Miami stuff behind him and just judging him as a coach of the Jets the only thing that I can say was wrong was leaving Avery Williamson on the field during his injury. Other than that, as a coach of the Jets, I cant find anything to be upset or concerned about. Matter of fact, this is the first time that I've been optimistic about our offense since that trade for Brandon Marshall back in '15. 

Im not going to enjoy my dish just yet, but I will say that im excited to see what this offense can do, especially once Bell hits the field. 

29 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

For a while, I just thought you were a Darnold/Jets troll, but I did see that post you made last week about how you were following Baker all through his college career, and he was the QB you wanted, etc.  and I get it.  you love the Jets, but you really wanted Baker (and God knows I thought Darnold was going #1 last year and we would probably get Baker, so maybe that was your thinking too?) so it must be hard for you.  who knows?  maybe it's Jets-Browns for the AFC title for many years to come!

At any rate, thanks for the vid!

Precisely.

I really did want us to draft Baker. I was legit pissed for about 10 minutes when the Browns made that pick, I cant even lie. Meh, It wasnt meant to be.

Folks generally think that im just trolling, and alot of times I do play into it just for kicks, but folks who've followed me for the past 4+ years know that I've been all in on Mayfield for a long time. 

Im just glad I didnt curse him. It seems like every QB I vouched for ended up either terrible, not making the cut coming from college or with an unusually long neck (Glennon). lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Precisely.

I really did want us to draft Baker. I was legit pissed for about 10 minutes when the Browns made that pick, I cant even lie. Meh, It wasnt meant to be.

Folks generally think that im just trolling, and alot of times I do play into it just for kicks, but folks who followed me for the past 4+ years know that I've been all in on Mayfield for a long time. 

Im just glad I didnt curse him. It seems like every QB I vouched for ended up either terrible, not making the cut coming from college or with an unusually long neck (Glennon). lol. 

well at least the giants didn't take Sam.  that would have been awful.  I did not want either Josh!

but when they took Barkley, of course the Jets fan in me was STILL thinking "watch them not take Darnold!"  hey- they finally got it right!!

15 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

well at least the giants didn't take Sam.  that would have been awful.  I did not want either Josh!

but when they took Barkley, of course the Jets fan in me was STILL thinking "watch them not take Darnold!"  hey- they finally got it right!!

Could you imagine if the Giants took Sam, after we traded up to #3. 

We'd be stuck with Rosen right now, and it's clear that he's not on the level of Sam or Baker. 

The good part of this though, I've always been a sucker for the underdog. If the Jets and Browns end up dominating the league, I can accept that. 

As a side note. I like Daniel Jones. The day after the draft I said that I wouldnt have drafted him 6th overall, but taking him with the 17th pick I wouldnt have had a problem with. I thought Jones was a top 30-40 player talent coming out of college. I think it's wise to sit him for a year, but I think that though they passed on Sam, ending up with Barkley and Jones may end up being a nice tandem. You generally dont pass on QB's for a RB, but with that said. Saquon Barkley is a freak. 

They just need to find a receiving threat. Maybe their TE develops. 

Could you imagine if the Giants took Sam, after we traded up to #3. 

We'd be stuck with Rosen right now, and it's clear that he's not on the level of Sam or Baker. 
The good part of this though, I've always been a sucker for the underdog. If the Jets and Browns end up dominating the league, I can accept that. 

As a side note. I like Daniel Jones. The day after the draft I said that I wouldnt have drafted him 6th overall, but taking him with the 17th pick I wouldnt have had a problem with. I thought Jones was a top 30-40 player talent coming out of college. I think it's wise to sit him for a year, but I think that though they passed on Sam, ending up with Barkly and Jones may end up being a nice tandem. 
They just need to find a receiving threat. Maybe their TE develops. 

Meh. I just hope midgets win 6-7 games this year. Worst thing that could happen is they get the #1 pick next year and get Tua....
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah. I think im going to submit an application. Im automatic from as far as 20 yards out which means that I can atleast make PAT's. :-) 

I dont have a clue whats going on with those guys and why they cant even hit an extra point. 

Unfortunately PAT's are 33 yards now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

The Golden Era of Jets football is upon us.

15 years of consistently competitive football with a few SB championships mixed in.

The most important player in Jet franchise football when all is said and done and Namath is my favorite football player of all time.  

Thank you Dave Gettlemen. 

on a differnt forum in a different sport there is one thread for each player and the posters make a point of using that thread to talk about that player..    its how i prefer it, and its been a part of me posting here... but..

when in ROme, I guess...

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I figured our QB should have such a thread on a Jets forum. 

Falcons3.gif

If plays like this are to be expected from our QB, this Jets are pointing in the right direction. 

This is a great example of pocket awareness & discipline by Darnold, helping out Chuma Edoga (#75) who got completely smoked on the play by quickly climbing back up into the pocket and flowing to the right side of the pocket that is now vacant and flicking his wrist on this beautiful pass that Q dropped. 

Q has to catch that ball. 

This is the difference between being a conservative optimist and a flat out hater, btw @14 in Green

Villain is a ball breaker, but we still know hes actually a Jets fan. You seem to have popped up the minute Faker got drafted just to sh*t on Darnold at every opportunity and scream witticisms like "BALLWASHER!!" at people with the audacity to root for the Quarterback of the New York Jets. 

Not that I expected you in this thread of your own volition, there's Baker Mayfield ballwashing to be done in other threads, after all.

• Post of the Week 2

WHY WOULD YOU ROOT FOR A THREE GAME LOSING STREAK?!?!?

LOL you didn’t include my full quote though! I did say I don’t want them to lose three games. But IF it happens, I want to see how Gase handles things. “I’m so sick of answering questions about THAT guy” when asked about Tannehill last year, etc.