Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Villain The Foe

All Things Sam Darnold

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

 

 

It’s amazing how Sam was deadly accurate at USC but inaccurate last year and now deadly accurate again.

That’s a thing, right? Lol. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:


LOL you didn’t include my full quote though! I did say I don’t want them to lose three games. But IF it happens, I want to see how Gase handles things. “I’m so sick of answering questions about THAT guy” when asked about Tannehill last year, etc.

Dude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Thanks CB !!! (drooling)

I am trying to remain cautious about Darnold I really really am ....... BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This kind of stuff is driving me CRAZY!!

I have never in my lifetime seen a Jets QB get this kind of praise, Tony Romo that was one thing and now this!!

And I for one just don't know what to do with myself........

I AM GIDDY AS THIS!!!!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This is the difference between being a conservative optimist and a flat out hater, btw @14 in Green

 

Villain is a ball breaker, but we still know hes actually a Jets fan. You seem to have popped up the minute Faker got drafted just to sh*t on Darnold at every opportunity and scream witticisms like "BALLWASHER!!" at people with the audacity to root for the Quarterback of the New York Jets. 

 

Not that I expected you in this thread of your own volition, there's Baker Mayfield ballwashing to be done in other threads, after all.

A grown man decided to sit down and write this to someone he doesn't know. In a thread he’s upset that person didn’t post in.

You can’t make this s**t up.

:rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I figured our QB should have such a thread on a Jets forum. 

Falcons3.gif

If plays like this are to be expected from our QB, this Jets are pointing in the right direction. 

This is a great example of pocket awareness & discipline by Darnold, helping out Chuma Edoga (#75) who got completely smoked on the play by quickly climbing back up into the pocket and flowing to the right side of the pocket that is now vacant and flicking his wrist on this beautiful pass that Q dropped. 

Q has to catch that ball. 

 

 

Unfortunately, Quincy is probably the most overrated player on the team. 

Catch the ball, please

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I can’t honestly debate any of your points, all valid.  

I do want to share a little of what we saw during Sam’s time at USC.  His RS freshman year, word coming out of camp was that this kid QB on the scout team was tearing up the first string defense - players were talking about Sam, coaches were impressed, as well as the local media (Cowherd) with VIP access.  The HC chose the older 5* QB who waited his turn.  The Alabama debacle happened with three consecutive losses, the coaches were very close to being fired, they threw Sam in as the starter and let him go, left him to play his game. Everyone here knows how the season ended, and Sams’ part in the success.  

Beginning of the 2017 season the HC and OC announced that they would be changing the offense to “help Sam along in his development”, calling it a “gumbo offense”.  Anyone that watched those games noticed the delay in calling in the plays from the OC and saw Sam constantly looking at the sideline waiting for the play call, usually as the clock was winding down.  They took away Sam’s greatest strength, handcuffing him.  Sam’s a gunslinger, tried too hard to make plays, never giving up.  Sam plays better fast and on the move.

We cringed when we found out Jeremy Bates was the OC.  It was 2017 all over again.

I wonder if this is why Gase is so hellbent on the offense playing with a fast tempo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't do a breakdown after the season, mainly because I just didn't have the time.  But I did do some research on films, and the thing that stands out about last year the lack of frequency with which they are players schemed open.  

For every one of those fake screen TD passes he threw last year (I believe Colts + Packers) there were a ton that didn't seem to have hot routes built in.  I remember looking at Miami's offense and seeing options that show up if Tannehill needed to bail, but it was rarely there for Darnold.  

The second thing to notice is how Sam is making reads while on the move.  Look at the pass to Enunwa here, because it's a 2 level read, but also notice the built in protections.  If the linebacker blitzes, the swing pass to the RB will be open.  Once the linebacker doesn't blitz and follows the RB, then it's reading the outside CB.  If the corner back drifts back in zone, then the quick curl to I think Herndon.  If the CB sits down with Herndon, then the crosser to Enunwa.  He made that read perfectly while dodging the defender.  That's high level skill.  That's a play where you will see someone like Geno, move up and away from the defender first, and THEN look at the situation again.  It's those little things that really make me hopeful about Sam, because he seems natural at the processing part.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, docdhc said:

Unfortunately PAT's are 33 yards now.

Welp, there goes my application. 

mad work GIF

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I can’t honestly debate any of your points, all valid.  

I do want to share a little of what we saw during Sam’s time at USC.  His RS freshman year, word coming out of camp was that this kid QB on the scout team was tearing up the first string defense - players were talking about Sam, coaches were impressed, as well as the local media (Cowherd) with VIP access.  The HC chose the older 5* QB who waited his turn.  The Alabama debacle happened with three consecutive losses, the coaches were very close to being fired, they threw Sam in as the starter and let him go, left him to play his game. Everyone here knows how the season ended, and Sams’ part in the success.  

Beginning of the 2017 season the HC and OC announced that they would be changing the offense to “help Sam along in his development”, calling it a “gumbo offense”.  Anyone that watched those games noticed the delay in calling in the plays from the OC and saw Sam constantly looking at the sideline waiting for the play call, usually as the clock was winding down.  They took away Sam’s greatest strength, handcuffing him.  Sam’s a gunslinger, tried too hard to make plays, never giving up.  Sam plays better fast and on the move.

We cringed when we found out Jeremy Bates was the OC.  It was 2017 all over again.

I never knew this. 

He went from the gumbo offense his last year in college to the dumbo offense his 1st year in the pro's. 

This year we should really display what Sam is made of. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Unfortunately, Quincy is probably the most overrated player on the team. 

Catch the ball, please

These are facts. 

Q gets alot of love, but he has 5 TD's since being drafted in 2014. Granted, his first year I think he was on the practice squad, and 2017 he had that neck injury. 

But even outside of those two seasons, Q has never started 16 games, is always injured or unavailable for parts of the season and has recorded just one 100 yard game back in 2016. 

I like his versatility and I do know most of his limited stats is due to the fact that he's never played with a good QB in a good offensive scheme, but neither has Robbie and Robbie has 3x the TD's yet was drafted 2 years after Q. 

Q is a nice player, but he's a bit overrated at this point for sure. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

These are facts. 

Q gets alot of love, but he has 5 TD's since being drafted in 2014. Granted, his first year I think he was on the practice squad, and 2017 he had that neck injury. 

But even outside of those two seasons, Q has never started 16 games, is always injured or unavailable for parts of the season and has recorded just one 100 yard game back in 2016. 

I like his versatility and I do know most of his limited stats is due to the fact that he's never played with a good QB in a good offensive scheme, but neither has Robbie and Robbie has 3x the TD's yet was drafted 2 years after Q. 

Q is a nice player, but he's a bit overrated at this point for sure. 

Q needs to be a complimentary pc to the puzzle this year. Darnold zoned into him too much early last year based on lack of weapons but with Bell, Crowder here now & him learning progressions, Q should be option 3 at the earliest. Once these other guys start burning teams, Q should be wide open for some big games himself. For a guy as big & fast as he is he gets very little separation & his catches are mostly contested & he gets hit a lot. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I ate my Gase crow very early on--he was the LAST guy I wanted because of all the noise that his players hated him, his front office hated him, his owner hated him and the fan base hated him.

After it turned out to be just that--noise--and now that I've actually seen the guy in action, here him talk on interviews on the radio or pressers (other than his first disaster--although 30 mins later on Michael Kay he was awesome), seen him in practice and with the guys--I am 1000% on the Gase train.

I think he's going to be an incredible coach and the fact that he brought in Douglas who then brought in a real FO, I'm sold.

I hated the Gase hire and disliked the Quinnen Williams pick. A few months later and I've pretty much done a 180 on both. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You seem to have popped up the minute Faker got drafted just to sh*t on Darnold at every opportunity and scream witticisms like "BALLWASHER!!" at people with the audacity to root for the Quarterback of the New York Jets. 

 

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I love Mayfield, he's my favorite player in the league

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Arguably the best play by Darnold this preseason in terms of making things happen to get points. 

These WR's need to get their sh_t right come week 1. 

These plays need to be 6 points every time if we expect to make a serious run. 

It's been a long time. I'd like to see a Jets game in January. 

Q's hands are a concern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Q needs to be a complimentary pc to the puzzle this year. Darnold zoned into him too much early last year based on lack of weapons but with Bell, Crowder here now & him learning progressions, Q should be option 3 at the earliest. Once these other guys start burning teams, Q should be wide open for some big games himself. For a guy as big & fast as he is he gets very little separation & his catches are mostly contested & he gets hit a lot. 

he does not separate smoothly.  he needs better hands to be a red zone factor.  let's see if he stays healthy. He is a good YAC man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I never knew this. 

He went from the gumbo offense his last year in college to the dumbo offense his 1st year in the pro's. 

This year we should really display what Sam is made of. 

I waited to share this till now, largely because I knew it would be perceived as making excuses for Sam....almost shared with you via pm last season.  The predictable play calling, delays in calling in the plays, took away Sam’s greatest strengths and highlighted his weakness - the gunslinger that just had to make a play to give his team a chance, regardless of how reckless.

Once Sam was gone, USC had our worst season in 20 years with the same staff, and top ranked recruiting classes. 

Sam even voiced his frustration.

Sam.

Sam Darnold apologized to coaches for "critcism" of playcalling

BySHOTGUN SPRATLING Oct 12, 2017 

6_7712160.jpg (Photo: Shotgun Spratling | USCfootball.com)

When USC redshirt sophomore quarterback Sam Darnold got a phone call from the coaching staff asking for context of post-game comments, Darnold apologized.

What he apologized for was hardly anything demeaning or insubordinate. He said opposing teams seem to be identifying the Trojans' offensive playcalling tendencies:

"I can sense defenses are focusing on some tendencies of ours,” Darnold said. “So we just got to run different plays, have different formations and motion some guys...get away from our tendencies a little bit."........

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/Sam-Darnold-apologized-to-USC-coaches-for-critcism-of-playcalling-108786437/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Beginning of the 2017 season the HC and OC announced that they would be changing the offense to “help Sam along in his development”, calling it a “gumbo offense”.  Anyone that watched those games noticed the delay in calling in the plays from the OC and saw Sam constantly looking at the sideline waiting for the play call, usually as the clock was winding down.  They took away Sam’s greatest strength, handcuffing him.  Sam’s a gunslinger, tried too hard to make plays, never giving up.  Sam plays better fast and on the move.

I didn't know this, either, and it makes me more excited for the offense Gase seems to be installing here. Not only the hurry-up, but getting to the line with 15-20 seconds on the play clock looks to be a priority. It gives Sam extra time to scan the defense and and snap the ball quickly or audible and still have time to look the defense over after changing the play. It just feels like Gase has incredible confidence in Darnold, and is designing his offense very specifically. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Q needs to be a complimentary pc to the puzzle this year. Darnold zoned into him too much early last year based on lack of weapons but with Bell, Crowder here now & him learning progressions, Q should be option 3 at the earliest. Once these other guys start burning teams, Q should be wide open for some big games himself. For a guy as big & fast as he is he gets very little separation & his catches are mostly contested & he gets hit a lot. 

I was about to post that I'd like Enunwa a lot better as the team's fourth WR, and in calling him the team's third option, I'm guessing you'd agree. When the Jets look at WRs in next year's draft, Q is the guy they should be looking to replace, IMHO. 

That said, he and Anderson both have suspect hands, but Anderson has that speed. Herndon's a better receiver than either of them, and losing him for four weeks is going to hurt. I really hope his appeal's a success. Need Crowder, Bell, and Montgomery to all be there to pick up Herdon's slack, a guy who figures to be a big part of the offense once he dresses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

A grown man decided to sit down and write this to someone he doesn't know. In a thread he’s upset that person didn’t post in.

You can’t make this s**t up.

:rolleyes:

 

And yet here you are, doing the same. If you think talking to people you don't know is dumb, why are you on a ******* message board? LOL.

 

You seem to have no problem telling people you dont know how much you LOVE Baker Mayfield (creepy), and then sh*t on anyone that likes OUR Quarterback. A grown man, taking the time to sit down and call people he doesn't know "ballwasher". Wow. Your life must be amazing.....

 

Troll keeps trolling. 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am trying to remain cautious about Darnold I really really am ....... BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This kind of stuff is driving me CRAZY!!

I have never in my lifetime seen a Jets QB get this kind of praise, Tony Romo that was one thing and now this!!

And I for one just don't know what to do with myself........

I AM GIDDY AS THIS!!!!

 

LOL. I'm with you 100%. Feel exactly the same way. CAN'T WAIT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This is the difference between being a conservative optimist and a flat out hater, btw @14 in Green

 

Villain is a ball breaker, but we still know hes actually a Jets fan. You seem to have popped up the minute Faker got drafted just to sh*t on Darnold at every opportunity and scream witticisms like "BALLWASHER!!" at people with the audacity to root for the Quarterback of the New York Jets. 

 

Not that I expected you in this thread of your own volition, there's Baker Mayfield ballwashing to be done in other threads, after all.

Read what you wrote. You're upset I DID NOT post in this thread, so you go on a rant because I DID NOT POST. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

And yet here you are, doing the same. If you think talking to people you don't know is dumb, why are you on a ******* message board? LOL.

 

You seem to have no problem telling people you dont know how much you LOVE Baker Mayfield (creepy), and then sh*t on anyone that likes OUR Quarterback. A grown man, taking the time to sit down and call people he doesn't know "ballwasher". Wow. Your life must be amazing.....

 

Troll keeps trolling. 

I replied to your first post, saying it's strange that a grown man would get upset at someone he doesn't know, because that person DID NOT comment in a thread.

This is you're reply to me.... "Troll keeps trolling"

There's nothing else for me to say about this after this post. If you can look at this exchange, (and the other thread yesterday where you do the same thing) and think I'm the troll in this conversation, then good for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I waited to share this till now, largely because I knew it would be perceived as making excuses for Sam....almost shared with you via pm last season.  The predictable play calling, delays in calling in the plays, took away Sam’s greatest strengths and highlighted his weakness - the gunslinger that just had to make a play to give his team a chance, regardless of how reckless.

Once Sam was gone, USC had our worst season in 20 years with the same staff, and top ranked recruiting classes. 

Sam even voiced his frustration.

Sam.

Sam Darnold apologized to coaches for "critcism" of playcalling

BySHOTGUN SPRATLING Oct 12, 2017 

6_7712160.jpg (Photo: Shotgun Spratling | USCfootball.com)

When USC redshirt sophomore quarterback Sam Darnold got a phone call from the coaching staff asking for context of post-game comments, Darnold apologized.

What he apologized for was hardly anything demeaning or insubordinate. He said opposing teams seem to be identifying the Trojans' offensive playcalling tendencies:

"I can sense defenses are focusing on some tendencies of ours,” Darnold said. “So we just got to run different plays, have different formations and motion some guys...get away from our tendencies a little bit."........

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/Sam-Darnold-apologized-to-USC-coaches-for-critcism-of-playcalling-108786437/

And the coaching staff got offended for Darnold stating the facts, and not even in a disrespectful manner. It's good to see the other side of this, and I may or may not have taken this into consideration, early last year especially because all I had on my mind was "You see, USC QB's and the typical hype" especially by the time we got to that Jacksonville game. 

The young one has surprised me though with his December performance. He's showing that it wasnt a fluke so far with his preseason work. 

 

I hope he's the one. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Villain The Foe this thread, and the idea behind it, is a good one. I'm sorry that it took less then a page for it to get "hijacked." This is a perfect spot for people to come and post about plays and comments made by Sam Darnold.

I'm not proud that I bothered to reply to @Jet_Engine1's comments about me here, I should have just left it alone. I'd be very happy if @slats or one of the other mods took this post, and the rest of our quotes in this thread down. You started a thread about Sam, it should be about him, not us.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

These are facts. 

Q gets alot of love, but he has 5 TD's since being drafted in 2014. Granted, his first year I think he was on the practice squad, and 2017 he had that neck injury. 

But even outside of those two seasons, Q has never started 16 games, is always injured or unavailable for parts of the season and has recorded just one 100 yard game back in 2016. 

I like his versatility and I do know most of his limited stats is due to the fact that he's never played with a good QB in a good offensive scheme, but neither has Robbie and Robbie has 3x the TD's yet was drafted 2 years after Q. 

Q is a nice player, but he's a bit overrated at this point for sure. 

Agree. 

IMO the money they gave Q should have gone to Robby. RA would have had 1000yd+ season had McCown not gotten hurt. After week 12 in 2017 with McCown he had 825 yds and 7 TDs.... ended season with 941 and that was with Bryce Petty etc..... If Robby has a 2017 season with 16 weeks we are going to have to pay him more than Q's deal. Robby has that type of year and he's probably going to be wanting Thielen + money 64 mil, just a guess. UDFA is going to cash in and I wouldn't blame him.

I like Q and hope he stays healthy and we have a new version of the "Flight Boys", but to me he should be the 3rd or 4th option, unless we move him to a TE. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

@Villain The Foe this thread, and the idea behind it, is a good one. I'm sorry that it took less then a page for it to get "hijacked." This is a perfect spot for people to come and post about plays and comments made by Sam Darnold.

I'm not proud that I bothered to reply to @Jet_Engine1's comments about me here, I should have just left it alone. I'd be very happy if @slats or one of the other mods took this post, and the rest of our quotes in this thread down. You started a thread about Sam, it should be about him, not us.

I'm not removing any posts, but I like the sentiment of posting about the team rather than each other. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else noticed that Sam has not worn any wristband playsheet during the preseason? Not saying it will extend into the regular season, but its neat that he's doing all the playcalling and verbiage in his head. 

Cant remember the last time we had a QB that could function like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

And the coaching staff got offended for Darnold stating the facts, and not even in a disrespectful manner. It's good to see the other side of this, and I may or may not have taken this into consideration, early last year especially because all I had on my mind was "You see, USC QB's and the typical hype" especially by the time we got to that Jacksonville game. 

The young one has surprised me though with his December performance. He's showing that it wasnt a fluke so far with his preseason work. 

 

I hope he's the one. 

Glad you’ve come around.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Glad you’ve come around.

it's a multi-step process...he was angry, but now he's in the "acceptance" stage!  LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slats said:

When the Jets look at WRs in next year's draft, Q is the guy they should be looking to replace, IMHO. 

 

And we literally just threw money at him... smh

Wrong guy to extent. Offense wouldn't skip a beat without him, he's never been a statue of health... add on a SUPER quiet TC and i'm already rolling my eyes.

Robbie's going to be looking $$ next offseason and he's got a lot prove this year. We can't strap Darnolds career to WR2s and WR3s... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maury77 said:

I hated the Gase hire and disliked the Quinnen Williams pick. A few months later and I've pretty much done a 180 on both. 

+ 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

These are facts. 

Q gets alot of love, but he has 5 TD's since being drafted in 2014. Granted, his first year I think he was on the practice squad, and 2017 he had that neck injury. 

But even outside of those two seasons, Q has never started 16 games, is always injured or unavailable for parts of the season and has recorded just one 100 yard game back in 2016. 

I like his versatility and I do know most of his limited stats is due to the fact that he's never played with a good QB in a good offensive scheme, but neither has Robbie and Robbie has 3x the TD's yet was drafted 2 years after Q. 

Q is a nice player, but he's a bit overrated at this point for sure. 

Totally agree. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Unfortunately, Quincy is probably the most overrated player on the team. 

Catch the ball, please

Due to be a $7.8M cap hit in 2020, $9.6M in 2021 and $11.4M in 2022.  Thanks Macc.

Luckily, like all bad Macc contracts, he provided an escape:  We can cut him with only $1.8M dead money at any time after June 1, 2020.  So we've got that going for us!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...