All Things Sam Darnold

15 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s amazing how Sam was deadly accurate at USC but inaccurate last year and now deadly accurate again.

That’s a thing, right? Lol. 

I don't know if he's accuracy was ever "poor"... his decision making and reading defenses was poor at times more so... which, let's be fair, he's barely through puberty. Rosen on the other hand seems to have regressed in the NFL, however he's played being atrocious Olines and that was always the caveat with him Rosen, give him time. 

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

These are facts. 

Q gets alot of love, but he has 5 TD's since being drafted in 2014. Granted, his first year I think he was on the practice squad, and 2017 he had that neck injury. 

But even outside of those two seasons, Q has never started 16 games, is always injured or unavailable for parts of the season and has recorded just one 100 yard game back in 2016. 

I like his versatility and I do know most of his limited stats is due to the fact that he's never played with a good QB in a good offensive scheme, but neither has Robbie and Robbie has 3x the TD's yet was drafted 2 years after Q. 

Q is a nice player, but he's a bit overrated at this point for sure. 

Really didnt think he was someone to extend, personally.  A young developing QB, needs a reliable target.  Not only is Q not reliable from an injury perspective, he also has suspect hands.  This is why I was so adamant on signing a guy like Golden Tate; always available (sans this suspension), always open, always where he's supposed to be and catches everything.  Crowder was my consolation prize but a pro like Tate can be crucial to a young Qb's development.  Anywho, if Q can stay healthy, he's an intriguing player in this system because of his run after catch ability.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Due to be a $7.8M cap hit in 2020, $9.6M in 2021 and $11.4M in 2022.  Thanks Macc.

Luckily, like all bad Macc contracts, we can cut him with only $1.8M dead money at any time after June 1, 2020.  So we've got that going for us!

Those aren't big numbers in today's salary cap, but yea that contract was totally unwarranted. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Those aren't big numbers in today's salary cap, but yea that contract was totally unwarranted. 

Should have forced Q and Robby to "prove it" for us before signing either.  Signing Q makes it tougher to justify a big contract for Robby.  

Not to mention we're entering a WR-heavy draft in 2020.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't know if he's accuracy was ever "poor"... his decision making and reading defenses was poor at times more so... which, let's be fair, he's barely through puberty. Rosen on the other hand seems to have regressed in the NFL, however he's played being atrocious Olines and that was always the caveat with him Rosen, give him time. 

I was tweaking another poster who said because Sam was under 60% comp rate last year, he was “inaccurate”. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I was tweaking another poster who said because Sam was under 60% comp rate last year, he was “inaccurate”. 

That’s a jets rookie record. The rookie comp percentage record holder before Sam? Geno. Man we have had a garbage run of QBs. ? 

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

@Villain The Foe this thread, and the idea behind it, is a good one. I'm sorry that it took less then a page for it to get "hijacked." This is a perfect spot for people to come and post about plays and comments made by Sam Darnold.

I'm not proud that I bothered to reply to @Jet_Engine1's comments about me here, I should have just left it alone. I'd be very happy if @slats or one of the other mods took this post, and the rest of our quotes in this thread down. You started a thread about Sam, it should be about him, not us.

No apology needed brother. I find it as my duty to hijack atleast one thread a month. :-) 

Both you and @Jet_Engine1 are my internet friends. 

All is good! 

Slats made a good point, Sam gets as many threads as Jets fans wish, but for those of us who are also Mayfield fans, we have a place for that as well. I can deal with that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Oof idk. I’ve seen him make some great catches , especially as of late. I’ve always looked at him like a nice possession receiver.

He has a career, 53% catch rate and I'm almost positive, he's led the team in drops every year he's beein action.  It's his #1 weakness.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

FD73CA4E-00F0-47F1-9BBE-E874946BA530.jpeg

Perfect example of why many Jets fans are being a bit of a homer when it comes to this receiving group. It's really not that good. Anderson is a solid guy, but everything else from there is suspect. This preseason is clearly showing that Enunwa is an inconsistent guy.

Yet another reason why you dont draft a DT with the 3rd pick in the draft when you know that you also dont have a 2nd round pick. It's the same "wash and repeat" mentality. Draft defense forever until your offense is so anemic that you think the only problem is the QB position, trade a bunch of picks to get that QB, then the very next year go back to drafting a bunch of defensive guys. 

Draft Sam some ******* help, please. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Perfect example of why many Jets fans are being a bit of a homer when it comes to this receiving group. It's really not that good. Anderson is a solid guy, but everything else from there is suspect. 

Yet another reason why you draft a DT with the 3rd pick in the draft when you know that you also dont have a 2nd round pick. It's the same "wash and repeat" mentality. Draft defense forever until your offense is so anemic that you think the only problem is the QB position, trade a bunch of picks to get that QB, then the very next year go back to drafting a bunch of defensive guys. 

Draft Sam some ******* help, please. 

I agree with everything here but I do think Crowder is also a name to add in there as a solid guy. The rest aren’t reliable enough. Q is always hurt and Burnett is a good depth guy. Nothing there after that. Jets need to trade for Ashlon Jeffery or AJ Green (not just throwing names out there, they’ve been tossed around in legit trade rumors.)

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree with everything here but I do think Crowder is also a name to add in there as a solid guy. The rest aren’t reliable enough. Q is always hurt and Burnett is a good depth guy. Nothing there after that. Jets need to trade for Ashlon Jeffery or AJ Green (not just throwing names out there, they’ve been tossed around in legit trade rumors.)

Even with Crowder, the Jets have a below average receiving group. They're relying on Herndon, Bell, and Montgomery to pick up the slack. Losing Herndon for four games is a huge blow, as he's better at everything receiving than Enunwa. Burnett is a fan favorite around here, but he doesn't make most rosters around the league. I'm hearing that next year's draft is strong at WR. I know the Church of the OL will be banging the table for the best OL again, but I hope they find themselves a new best WR on the team next year. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You can make that argument. My point overall is that we dont have 1 receiver with a 1,000 yard season on this team. The only receiver on this team to record a 900+ yard season is Anderson...and that was with Josh McCown. 

Crowder never broke 900 yards in a season and he had Cousins, a guy who consistently threw for 4,000 plus yards a season. 

Not to beat up on Crowder though, again you can definitely make the argument that he's another solid receiver. We dont have 1 above average receiver on this team. We have average guys who may have an above average skillset (Robby and his straight line speed for example) but in terms of the entire body of what makes a WR a WR...the Jets have a team full of JAG's and 2 average guys 

Hopefully the combination of Bell and Montgomery could stress the middle of defenses in the passing game and create mismatches. But man, we could have done better for this offense. 

Luckily we pulled a Center out of retirement because Jonatthan Harrison had a bad game against the Saints. 

This could go bad, Im hoping that Sam doesnt get hurt. We need to do something about this offense because its below average collectively, which isnt what you want to give to a 2nd year QB. 

On 8/21/2019 at 11:57 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Should have forced Q and Robby to "prove it" for us before signing either.  Signing Q makes it tougher to justify a big contract for Robby.  

Not to mention we're entering a WR-heavy draft in 2020.  

Screw that they better sign Robby and put a legit #1 next to him .. Quincy was a bad contract but it has out after 2 years .. 

I didn’t know where to post this so i’ll drop it here.

i was just watching a compressed video of every Sam Darnold completion from this preseason and there’s one obvious thing that keeps popping up in front of me and that’s how calm his feet are in the pocket now. Very, very calm feet. He’s not jumping around and wasting any movement now. It’s really impressive even thought it’s just footwork. He looks at home in the pocket. Even when he side arm throws completions like that really tight window throw to Q against ATL. He repositioned his body perfectly and stayed within the pocket to make the throw.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I didn’t know where to post this so i’ll drop it here.

i was just watching a compressed video of every Sam Darnold completion from this preseason and there’s one obvious thing that keeps popping up in front of me and that’s how calm his feet are in the pocket now. Very, very calm feet. He’s not jumping around and wasting any movement now. It’s really impressive even thought it’s just footwork. He looks at home in the pocket. Even when he side arm throws completions like that really tight window throw to Q against ATL. He repositioned his body perfectly and stayed within the pocket to make the throw.

Nice observation. Thanks. I've noticed that he hasn't had a playcall wristband on during the preseason. That's pretty impressive for a 2nd year guy in a brand new system. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

Nice observation. Thanks. I've noticed that he hasn't had a playcall wristband on during the preseason. That's pretty impressive for a 2nd year guy in a brand new system. 

believe me, I am all in on Sam, so this is not a negative at all, but I believe he did not wear one during last preseason either, and then did during the year.

I know it was at least one PS game where he did not wear it last year because I remember making a big deal about it that he doesn't need red light-green light like the Sanchize!  I just think they really are not opening up the playbook at this time, so not much need for the wrist band.

again, I'm not being all "negative Nancy", just pointing out an observation.

• Upvote 1

Our running game was NON EXISTENT most of last year. I think we were bottom 3 in 3rd & longs, Quincy got hurt, Kearse was a waste of a roster spot & literally looked like he retired on the field last year. Losing Herndon to suspension SUCKS because with the addition of Bell, Ty & Crowder with Quincy back, that's a very good group, not individually but as a whole. So last years stats can be thrown right in the trash because we played from behind often, we were in OBVIOUS Passing downs too much, and it was easy to match up nickel & dime defenses to our offense making Darnold have to thread too many needles. 

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Sometime this offseason, he was doing an interview and said he understands this playbook way more at this point in the offseason than Jeremy Bate’s playbook last season. He pointed out that he almost completely has Gase’s down. Definitely a big reason that this offense played at a high pace in the first two preseason games and then two drives in the NOLA game. They are especially going to need to come out of the gates hot if they want to position themselves well heading into the second half of the season. They get a bye in week 4 so they have to play well against Buffalo, Cleveland, Patriots well and then rest up for a hard match up against the Eagles. If we can go 2-2, that would be great. Then there’s the Cowboys, Patriots again and the Jags.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2019 at 8:54 AM, JiF said:

Really didnt think he was someone to extend, personally.  A young developing QB, needs a reliable target.  Not only is Q not reliable from an injury perspective, he also has suspect hands.  This is why I was so adamant on signing a guy like Golden Tate; always available (sans this suspension), always open, always where he's supposed to be and catches everything.  Crowder was my consolation prize but a pro like Tate can be crucial to a young Qb's development.  Anywho, if Q can stay healthy, he's an intriguing player in this system because of his run after catch ability.

Like almost all Mac moves, I thought extending Q at the money he got was frankly idiotic. I like Q. I hope he plays well, but there is really nothing except paying tor potential to suggest it was a good move.