slats

What's Your Level of Faith in Sam Darnold?

Darnold Faith?   

179 members have voted

1. 1. Scale of 1-10, 1 is he hasn't done anything and I need convincing and 10 is I know in my heart that he's the one, where do you stand?

On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is Sam hasn't done anything yet and I'm waiting to see, and 10 is I'm convinced that he's the next great QB, one who'll bring multiple Super Bowls to One Jets Drive, where do you stand? 

Gave myself this idea from a response in @Villain The Foe's thread. 

• Upvote 3

What would an 8.37 mean?  I mean I really, really like him but I don't want my heart broken again.

black alonzo mourning GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I about an 8 for two main reasons. 

#1. We have an offensive minded coach. 

#2. Sam Darnold last year under defensive-minded Bowles looked more like a QB than prior QB's drafted by the Jets over the past decade. It started out rough, but when he came back from injury he looked much better. 

He just "looks" better. Providing him with an offensive minded coaching staff that knows how to develop players and put them in the best position to succeed...I would say that it's very hard not to be optimistic about that. 

• Upvote 2

Went with an 8. Love what I have seen and heard so far but being a life long Jets fan I still fear an 8 being irrational exuberance!

• Upvote 2

I'd say 10, but I got burned before with Pennington and his injuries after his breakout season in 02 so I guess failure is always possible

I’d say 8, which is my way of saying I’m confident he’s going to be good and will be our QB for the next 10 years but I’m not sure he’ll be a superstar or will win multiple rings for us.

• Upvote 1

I'd say 10, but I got burned before with Pennington and his injuries after his breakout season in 02 so I guess failure is always possible

Pennington wasn’t even remotely in the realm of Darnold’s ceiling. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

this is only his 2nd year. We can project what he COULD do all day but im a see it to believe it guy. He hasnt even performed in the most important moments yet like a AFCCG or anything. Thats when you really see what your QB is made of, not some preseason throw to enunwa. When everyone is watching and your needed to make plays to win important games, and he makes them, thats when my 6 turns into a 10. Plenty of time.

• Like 1

Love Sam as a person and a player but he gets a 3 from me.

IMO you have to win before you saying it is a sure thing...

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Sam passes the eye test for me, but I'm a bit of a pessimist.

• Upvote 2

10. He is the one that can get us to the Super Bowl. But it’s up to the other parts around him to step up. Including the HC. 

Theres no more excuses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

What would an 8.37 mean?  I mean I really, really like him but I don't want my heart broken again.

black alonzo mourning GIF

my wife does that decimal bit with the scale whenever I prfesent her with one...

funny schitt

• Haha 1

play my cards close to the vest, 8 (my giddy side says 10)

My faith is at least a 9 but I've seen such horrible qb play the last few years with Geno, Petty, Hack, Fitz, and Josh that when I see Darnold I almost can't believe my eyes! Is he really that good or have I just been fooled by comparing him to the suck?

• Upvote 1

I like him as a person and his parents really raised a wonderful young man. He gets a 1 from me till we get a winning season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Pennington wasn’t even remotely in the realm of Darnold’s ceiling. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No disagreement there.  As good as Chad looked after the 02 season, Darnold's ceiling is way, way higher.

I'm going with a 7. Until he wins something or gets us to the playoffs or a couple of 10-win seasons in a row, I still think he's going to have a few bad games here and there, a couple of ints at crucial times a few wobbly passes here and there. That said I'm very excited about his upside and I have hopes and expectations that he's going to give us some really thrilling moments the likes we haven't seen around here..

• Upvote 1

I answered 7. Honestly, I believe he's the one this team has been missing. I think he's the key to keeping this team competitive for at least the next 10 years. I'm guardedly optimistic we have a decent front office. So that means we should have a much better influx of talent, weapons for Sammy to work with. Barring injury, Sam Darnold is going to keep this team relevant year in and year out. I haven't felt this optimistic since Chad at the end of the 2002 season.

I still need to see him grow his game. I need to see legitimate franchise QB numbers, which he has not done yet. But I see the wheels turning with him. With each and every unique look an NFL defense gives him, I see him figuring out how to beat that particular look. This is something I never even once saw from Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith, and that, in a nutshell, is what makes me so optimistic when it comes to Sammy.

I chose an 8 but consider that a 10. Since that's as good as your going to get from a Ducks fan putting faith in a Trojan's player.

• Like 1