What's Your Level of Faith in Sam Darnold?

Darnold Faith?   

179 members have voted

1. 1. Scale of 1-10, 1 is he hasn't done anything and I need convincing and 10 is I know in my heart that he's the one, where do you stand?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to say a 10 but I voted 7 mainly because I'v been a Jets fan since their 1st days as titans and I've been broken and dissapointed before.

I wouldn’t trade him for any player in the NFL- what level is that?

10 The kid has only been playing QB for the last 6 years and he already routinely shows jaw dropping sh*t on film that you only see from the likes of Rodgers and Mahomes. I’ve said since tha

Posted Images

Go by what you see. Last year Buffalo, some of the things he did against that Houston defense, he even made some plays in Gillette when 75% of the team had already quit. Preseason this year he's on fire. Sams a 10, I've been telling you guys for a while now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

My heart wants to say 7, but my head tells me 4. I'm going with my head.

So many people are sure of this kid, I keep asking myself what am I not seeing? So many of you are already convinced he'll be great, and I only see potential. Sam seems like a nice kid, and he has it all there for the taking. He just has to step up and take it.

Offensive HC

Terrific RB

A solid WR corps

Improved OL. Granted, not the best, but a lot better the last year.

No excuses. It's year 2. This is the year the good ones show you they are good.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

1 or 2. He lit up a handful of games. Doesn't mean anything. Now, I think he can be a good QB, but not ready to slap on the franchise QB label just yet. Give me a couple of great seasons, and my confidence level will go up. 

So many people are sure of this kid, I keep asking myself what am I not seeing? So many of you are already convinced he'll be great, and I only see potential. Sam seems like a nice kid, and he has it all there for the taking. He just has to step up and take it.

Offensive HC

Terrific RB

A solid WR corps

Right there with you. I saw some flat out eye popping throws last year and there were some moments where we were behind but I was still confident that we could win. Those are the moments that give me hope but the ints and the many dropped ones give me pause. The kid DEFINITELY has the right demeanor to play on this city and he can ball.

But I cant give him a 10 until we win the AFC east regularly. You cant get a 10 with what I saw last year. Not from me

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

1 or 2. He lit up a handful of games. Doesn't mean anything. Now, I think he can be a good QB, but not ready to slap on the franchise QB label just yet. Give me a couple of great seasons, and my confidence level will go up. 

Lit up a few games is something and shouldn’t be a one per the scaling. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is Sam hasn't done anything yet and I'm waiting to see, and 10 is I'm convinced that he's the next great QB, one who'll bring multiple Super Bowls to One Jets Drive, where do you stand? 

Gave myself this idea from a response in @Villain The Foe's thread. 

I'm convinced that it takes more than the next great QB to get multiple SBs. It takes a ton of luck and consistently being able to put together good teams and coaching. I'm about a 10 that Darnold will be great QB the likes of Phillip Rivers but I have no idea whether or not he will end up being a great QB but run into injuries like Andrew Luck or if he will end up a great QB and win multiple SBs like Big Ben. 

• Like 1

I'm a ten every day of the week.  Even if Sam craps the bed this year I will be a 10 next year too. he's the youngest, bad a$$iest, accuratist Mo Fo we've ever had under center and I just love him to death. 

TO ALL THE NON BELIEVERS!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I answered 7. Honestly, I believe he's the one this team has been missing. I think he's the key to keeping this team competitive for at least the next 10 years. I'm guardedly optimistic we have a decent front office. So that means we should have a much better influx of talent, weapons for Sammy to work with. Barring injury, Sam Darnold is going to keep this team relevant year in and year out. I haven't felt this optimistic since Chad at the end of the 2002 season.

I still need to see him grow his game. I need to see legitimate franchise QB numbers, which he has not done yet. But I see the wheels turning with him. With each and every unique look an NFL defense gives him, I see him figuring out how to beat that particular look. This is something I never even once saw from Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith, and that, I'm a nutshell, is what makes me so optimistic when it comes to Sammy.

Fwiw, I never truly had faith in Chad but I do in Darnold.  Of course, we still have to wait and see with Sam.  I'm under no illusion that it will be a clean jump to greatness, considering the team around him.  I don't know if it will be the OL, the CS, the skill positions, or some unknown factor but I expect some things to go wrong.  But I think Sam has the tools to be great.  I've felt that way since the day we were fortunate enough where he fell to #3 so we could draft him.   One of my favorite things is his temperament.  He's just a nose-to-the-grindstone kind of a guy.  He could've easily been the "west coast hotshot" guy like Mark Sanchez tried to be.  Instead Sam is a humble, hard working guy. 

The Browns can have Baker Mayfield.  I'll take my chances with Sam any day of the week (though usually Sundays).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I about an 8 for two main reasons. 

#1. We have an offensive minded coach. 

#2. Sam Darnold last year under defensive-minded Bowles looked more like a QB than prior QB's drafted by the Jets over the past decade. It started out rough, but when he came back from injury he looked much better. 

He just "looks" better. Providing him with an offensive minded coaching staff that knows how to develop players and put them in the best position to succeed...I would say that it's very hard not to be optimistic about that. 

No we all underestimate the level of awful Bowles was. After he was "fired" in Buffalo Sam took control of the offense away from that dumbo underqualifed Jeremy Bates. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I’d pick a 3 but with every expert gushing, that bumps me up to a 5. I’ve learned to never trust “flashes.” Flashes may be OK for pass rushers and vertical-threat WRs but what I need to see from a QB is consistency. Sample size too small for anything higher than a 5, and that’s being wildly optimistic, but hey let’s live a little.

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Offensive HC

Terrific RB

A solid WR corps

Please make me understand. What are you looking to see? Other than the interceptions that you harp on all the time, what do you not like?

In my view, even at this point, he is objectively better than any QB we have had since Namath with maybe the exception of Vinny.  Four? 4? Seriously?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, I never truly had faith in Chad but I do in Darnold.  Of course, we still have to wait and see with Sam.  I'm under no illusion that it will be a clean jump to greatness, considering the team around him.  I don't know if it will be the OL, the CS, the skill positions, or some unknown factor but I expect some things to go wrong.  But I think Sam has the tools to be great.  I've felt that way since the day we were fortunate enough where he fell to #3 so we could draft him.   One of my favorite things is his temperament.  He's just a nose-to-the-grindstone kind of a guy.  He could've easily been the "west coast hotshot" guy like Mark Sanchez tried to be.  Instead Sam is a humble, hard working guy. 

The Browns can have Baker Mayfield.  I'll take my chances with Sam any day of the week (though usually Sundays).

I am with you on Chad. I always felt he was massively overrated.

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’d pick a 3 but with every expert gushing, that bumps me up to a 5. I’ve learned to never trust “flashes.” Flashes may be OK for pass rushers and vertical-threat WRs but what I need to see from a QB is consistency. Sample size too small for anything higher than a 5, and that’s being wildly optimistic, but hey let’s live a little.

One thing that Darnold has repeatedly shown (in both college and his rookie year in the NFL) is the ability to extend plays with his legs and make big throws down the field after plays break down. I can't think of a single guy who exhibited this trait and wasn't a very good QB. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

One thing that Darnold has repeatedly shown (in both college and his rookie year in the NFL) is the ability to extend plays with his legs and make big throws down the field after plays break down. I can't think of a single guy who exhibited this trait and wasn't a very good QB. 

Good point and a definite plus for Sam. Although, I will caution that the non-successful QBs who rely on their legs are simply called something else: QBs who are too quick to abandon the pocket.