Jump to content

What's Your Level of Faith in Sam Darnold?


Darnold Faith?   

179 members have voted

  1. 1. Scale of 1-10, 1 is he hasn't done anything and I need convincing and 10 is I know in my heart that he's the one, where do you stand?



Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, I never truly had faith in Chad but I do in Darnold.  Of course, we still have to wait and see with Sam.  I'm under no illusion that it will be a clean jump to greatness, considering the team around him.  I don't know if it will be the OL, the CS, the skill positions, or some unknown factor but I expect some things to go wrong.  But I think Sam has the tools to be great.  I've felt that way since the day we were fortunate enough where he fell to #3 so we could draft him.   One of my favorite things is his temperament.  He's just a nose-to-the-grindstone kind of a guy.  He could've easily been the "west coast hotshot" guy like Mark Sanchez tried to be.  Instead Sam is a humble, hard working guy. 

The Browns can have Baker Mayfield.  I'll take my chances with Sam any day of the week (though usually Sundays).

I'm still convinced today, if Chad could have stayed healthy he would have win the SB

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to say a 10 but I voted 7 mainly because I'v been a Jets fan since their 1st days as titans and I've been broken and dissapointed before.

I wouldn’t trade him for any player in the NFL- what level is that?

10 The kid has only been playing QB for the last 6 years and he already routinely shows jaw dropping sh*t on film that you only see from the likes of Rodgers and Mahomes. I’ve said since tha

Posted Images

He's definitely our QB going forward.  I think he's shown up to now he's going to be here awhile.  How good he ultimately becomes?  Who knows but he's going to play into a second contract IMO

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10. The guy is going to change the O for this franchise. The key is Sam can escape the pocket if he is being pressured  and can throw very accurately on the run and has great vision. The last part is the best thing about Sam. Geno could also escape pressure  but he sucked at seeing the feild

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jgb said:

Good point and a definite plus for Sam. Although, I will caution that the non-successful QBs who rely on their legs are simply called something else: QBs who are too quick to abandon the pocket.

The phrase "relying on his legs," in regards to QBs usually refers to QBs who run the ball when their first read is covered; not QBs who buy themselves extra time, keep their eyes downfield, and then make accurate throws. I don't think Darnold is ever gonna become Dan Marino, whipping the ball out before a defender can ever hope get to him. Or a Joe Montana, running a precision machine of an offense. But he's not gonna be (the Eagles version) of Randall Cunningham, either. Ben Roethlisberger might be the closest comp. Although Sam isn't quite the tree Big Ben is, he does have the sandlot mentality (and Ben has had quite a nice career without ever really settling down in the pocket). 

Be interesting to see Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson running around this year, too. Harbaugh and Kingsbury seem to think they're about to revolutionize the sport. I feel like I've heard that before about running QBs. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slats said:

The phrase "relying on his legs," in regards to QBs usually refers to QBs who run the ball when their first read is covered; not QBs who buy themselves extra time, keep their eyes downfield, and then make accurate throws. I don't think Darnold is ever gonna become Dan Marino, whipping the ball out before a defender can ever hope get to him. Or a Joe Montana, running a precision machine of an offense. But he's not gonna be (the Eagles version) of Randall Cunningham, either. Ben Roethlisberger might be the closest comp. Although Sam isn't quite the tree Big Ben is, he does have the sandlot mentality (and Ben has had quite a nice career without ever really settling down in the pocket). 

Be interesting to see Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson running around this year, too. Harbaugh and Kingsbury seem to think they're about to revolutionize the sport. I feel like I've heard that before about running QBs. 

Agree although if pressed on a comp I'd be more inclined to say a more mobile Romo.

Your last sentence brings back a bad memory of trading for Kaepernick in my dynasty league and thinking "at least I have the QB position solved for the next ten years."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe what’s most important is that he continues to develop and improve which he most definitely will do this season. Bell and Crowder will take a lot of pressure off him with short over the middle routes by Crowder and Bell going to the flats. I think if the Jets put a stout O-line in front of him the sky’s the limit. Love is movement in the pocket, his ability to throw   (with accuracy) on the run, arm strength in awkward positions with bad feet and his ability to put the ball on the money. He doesn’t rattle and comes back strong after bad throws and decisions. He has shown a lot considering the offense he worked with last year. He’s the real deal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went 3. I've seen this too many times before. Sam's rookie year was nothing spectacular and even when he was "hot" those last 3 games we still lost. 

I think he will turn out to be mid level QB, not a star, not bust but somewhere in that 25-15 range of QBs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

He doesn’t rattle and comes back strong after bad throws and decisions.

I think this might be his greatest strength. One practice this year, he had a bad throw early and then crushed it the rest of the day. Gase, in his post-practice presser, said that he thought the offense was gonna have a good day after that bad throw. That when Sam makes a mistake, he comes back locked in. We saw that with his first throw as a pro. That's a major item in the indefinable "it factor" for me. It's a reason I do think Sam can get this team into the playoffs and finish the season with a win in the process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Please make me understand. What are you looking to see?

I can't speak for others, but here is what I'd like to see:

-- 4,000 Yards Passing or more. (12 QB's reached or exceeded this mark in 2018.)

-- 25 Passing TD's or more. (13 QB's reached or exceeding this mark in 2018.)

-- A 2:1 Passing TD/Interception Ratio or better. (17 QB's were 2:1 or better in 2018, more than half of Starting #1 QB's.)

-- A 60% Completion Rate or better. (Only 3 QB's failed to make this mark in 2018, including Darnold).

I think this is a VERY reasonable expectation of an elite QB in the NFL in a Gase system with the talent we have in 2019. 

If Darnold is in fact an elite QB, the best we've has since Namath as you say, matching the production of a 12th ranked QB is pretty reasonable to expect.

Would you agree?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can't speak for others, but here is what I'd like to see:

-- 4,000 Yards Passing or more. (12 QB's reached or exceeded this mark in 2018.)

-- 25 Passing TD's or more. (13 QB's reached or exceeding this mark in 2018.)

-- A 2:1 Passing TD/Interception Ratio or better. (17 QB's were 2:1 or better in 2018, more than half of Starting #1 QB's.)

-- A 60% Completion Rate or better. (Only 3 QB's failed to make this mark in 2018, including Darnold).

I think this is a VERY reasonable expectation of an elite QB in the NFL in a Gase system with the talent we have in 2019. 

If Darnold is in fact an elite QB, the best we've has since Namath as you say, matching the production of a 12th ranked QB is pretty reasonable to expect.

Would you agree?

yes, I would.  but isn't it sad to look at those expectations, and realize we really have never had a QB to reach them?  I mean maybe Chad with the comp %, Sanchez had 1 year with the TD passes, Fitz as well, but what else?

I think that's why a lot of us are so excited about this kid.  it's not like we've had Brady or Peyton the last 20 years and this kid has big shoes to fill, you know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

yes, I would.  but isn't it sad to look at those expectations, and realize we really have never had a QB to reach them?  I mean maybe Chad with the comp %, Sanchez had 1 year with the TD passes, Fitz as well, but what else?

I think that's why a lot of us are so excited about this kid.  it's not like we've had Brady or Peyton the last 20 years and this kid has big shoes to fill, you know?

I should be clear, I absolutely think Sam Darnold has the potential to be the type of QB who can meet and exceed those metrics of production.

I just want to see him do it BEFORE I start using words like "best ever", "faith" or "best since Namath".

I'm very optimistic about Sam.  But I expect him to show us this year.

I'll set the bar even lower if we like, how about we expect Sam to put up AVERAGE production this year for a starting NFL QB?

Average is 65.5%, 3,516 Passing Yards, 23 TD's to 10 INT's.

If Sam produces this, he was would literally be the arithmetic mean of 2018 NFL QB's.  Surely that's not too high an expectation is it?  I would say no.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Warfish said:

I should be clear, I absolutely think Sam Darnold has the potential to be the type of QB who can meet and exceed those metrics of production.

I just want to see him do it BEFORE I start using words like "best ever", "faith" or "best since Namath".

I'm very optimistic about Sam.  But I expect him to show us this year.

"best ever"?  yes, I agree, no one should be saying that (yet?  hopefully?)

but "best since Namath"? - again, it's not like he has huge shoes to fill!  I mean after Joe, who's next?  Chad?  Vinny?  The Jets even  sent around an email recently asking us fans to pick the "all time team" and their choices for QB were:  Namath, Chad, Vinny, Kenny and Richard friggin' Todd! (in that order)

he really does not have to do much to be the "best since Namath" to be quite honest!!

now be better than Namath?  THAT is what we are all hoping for!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

9.  Basically I'm all in.  The only reason I'm not a 10 on him is I'm still slightly scared the Jets will ruin him despite what I believe to be positive changes in coaching and the front office.  

For reference, I think the highest I ever would have said I had gotten on Sanchez was a 6.  Geno Smith got up to a 7.  Chad Pennington, 8 after that 2002 regular season.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can't speak for others, but here is what I'd like to see:

-- 4,000 Yards Passing or more. (12 QB's reached or exceeded this mark in 2018.)

-- 25 Passing TD's or more. (13 QB's reached or exceeding this mark in 2018.)

-- A 2:1 Passing TD/Interception Ratio or better. (17 QB's were 2:1 or better in 2018, more than half of Starting #1 QB's.)

-- A 60% Completion Rate or better. (Only 3 QB's failed to make this mark in 2018, including Darnold).

I think this is a VERY reasonable expectation of an elite QB in the NFL in a Gase system with the talent we have in 2019. 

If Darnold is in fact an elite QB, the best we've has since Namath as you say, matching the production of a 12th ranked QB is pretty reasonable to expect.

Would you agree?

I think the toughest one for Sam this year might be the 2:1 TD:int ratio, but I agree that these are very reasonable goals for his second season. 

I'm surprised that my vote of 7 puts me on the pessimistic end of this poll so far, with more than half of the respondents giving him a 9 or 10. Wow! I'm excited about Sam, and do feel like we saw more than just a glimpse of what he can become at the end of last year, but it's still mostly the potential that I'm excited about, not the actual production. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jgb said:

Although, I will caution that the non-successful QBs who rely on their legs are simply called something else: QBs who are too quick to abandon the pocket.

Sam doesn't rely on his legs, that's a phrase for a running QB like Vick and to a lesser degree Wilson.  

With Sam it's more pocket awareness and the ability to slide in the pocket.  Like Brady who can slide around also but has feet of lead.  I get that Sam can run when there are no other options but it's not the plan

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sam doesn't rely on his legs, that's a phrase for a running QB like Vick and to a lesser degree Wilson.  

With Sam it's more pocket awareness and the ability to slide in the pocket.  Like Brady who can slide around also but has feet of lead.  I get that Sam can run when there are no other options but it's not the plan

My point is labels can be used in a lot of ways and often fit an agenda. The poster said s/he has never known a QB who can keep plays alive that wasn’t successful. Mike Vick was the most elusive player in the pocket I have ever seen. Was he not successful? Probably not at the level s/he meant. So then he becomes a “running QB” to keep the point alive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

9.  Basically I'm all in.  The only reason I'm not a 10 on him is I'm still slightly scared the Jets will ruin him despite what I believe to be positive changes in coaching and the front office.  

For reference, I think the highest I ever would have said I had gotten on Sanchez was a 6.  Geno Smith got up to a 7.  Chad Pennington, 8 after that 2002 regular season.    

If Geno Smith was a 7, Sam should be a 48. I never had one moment when I even hoped Geno would be a starter-level player in the league. He has actually exceeded my expectations by sticking around as a backup for so long, despite his best efforts to get booted (e.g., losing his Giants playbook for the entire season and not reporting it or getting a replacement).

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

My point is labels can be used in a lot of ways and often fit an agenda. You say you’ve never known a QB who can keep plays alive that wasn’t successful. Mike Vick was the most elusive player in the pocket I have ever seen. Was he not successful? Probably not at the level you mean. So then he becomes a “running QB” to keep the point alive.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I said he's really good sliding around in the pocket and if forced out he can move.  Like in Bufallo whe he found Anderson in the EZ.

Pease reread and show me where I even hinted that I've never known a QB who can keep plays alive.  Try Fran Tarkington, Staughback, Vick etc.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I said he's really good sliding around in the pocket and if forced out he can move.  Like in Bufallo whe he found Anderson in the EZ.

Pease reread and show me where I even hinted that I've never known a QB who can keep plays alive.  Try Fran Tarkington, Staughback, Vick etc.  

Relax I thought you were the person I was responding to since you responded to my response. I looked back and corrected my post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Geno Smith was a 7, Sam should be a 48.

Nope.  Geno had an 8-8 season his rookie year with a dogsh*t team.  Sanchez went 9-7 with the best roster we've ever had, and in his rookie season had a 5-INT game and lost despite 300+ rushing yards.

Geno also had a much better profile coming out of college than Sanchez did.  And since we took him in the 2nd rounder, there were much lower expectations on him.

Both terrible QB's but I felt better about Geno after his rookie season than I did Sanchez.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope.  Geno had an 8-8 season his rookie year with a dogsh*t team.  Sanchez went 9-7 with the best roster we've ever had, and in his rookie season had a 5-INT game and lost despite 300+ rushing yards.

Geno also had a much better profile coming out of college than Sanchez did.  And since we took him in the 2nd rounder, there were much lower expectations on him.

Geno Smith is dumber than a JUGS machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope.  Geno had an 8-8 season his rookie year with a dogsh*t team.  Sanchez went 9-7 with the best roster we've ever had, and in his rookie season had a 5-INT game and lost despite 300+ rushing yards.

Geno also had a much better profile coming out of college than Sanchez did.  And since we took him in the 2nd rounder, there were much lower expectations on him.

Both terrible QB's but I felt better about Geno after his rookie season than I did Sanchez.  

I think with Geno, he had the tools, but man, he could not make the right decisions!  If his first read was open, he looked great.  but when that first read was not open, that's when the s#$t hit the fan with him!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Geno Smith doesn’t have the brains to be a JUGS machine.

Sanchez was so dumb we needed red-yellow-green signs.  He was one of the slowest processors I've ever seen. 

Geno was more "real life" dumb, I'll give you that.  But as QB's its a dead heat for low football IQ.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sanchez was so dumb we needed red-yellow-green signs.  He was one of the slowest processors I've ever seen. 

Geno was more "real life" dumb, I'll give you that.  But as QB's its a dead heat for low football IQ.

It’s comparing the computing power of yeast and E. coli. What’s it matter, they were both an infection.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, funaz said:

I went 3. I've seen this too many times before. Sam's rookie year was nothing spectacular and even when he was "hot" those last 3 games we still lost. 

I think he will turn out to be mid level QB, not a star, not bust but somewhere in that 25-15 range of QBs. 

You've never seen this before. Sams skill set is on another galaxy from any QB the jets have ever had- including namath. Now, it needs to translate to production and wins, but at 21 years old this guy is extremely special.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slats said:

The phrase "relying on his legs," in regards to QBs usually refers to QBs who run the ball when their first read is covered; not QBs who buy themselves extra time, keep their eyes downfield, and then make accurate throws. I don't think Darnold is ever gonna become Dan Marino, whipping the ball out before a defender can ever hope get to him. Or a Joe Montana, running a precision machine of an offense. But he's not gonna be (the Eagles version) of Randall Cunningham, either. Ben Roethlisberger might be the closest comp. Although Sam isn't quite the tree Big Ben is, he does have the sandlot mentality (and Ben has had quite a nice career without ever really settling down in the pocket). 

Be interesting to see Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson running around this year, too. Harbaugh and Kingsbury seem to think they're about to revolutionize the sport. I feel like I've heard that before about running QBs. 

The QB comparison I made last year for Darnold was Mark Brunell in his prime with the Jaguars. 

He had good size, was mobile, and had a very good arm. I'm curious if those who are old enough to remember Brunell back then see any of his style in Darnold's game also.... I'd be very happy if Darnold turned into a QB like he was back then.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Warfish said:

1

I am not in the faith business.  Faith is for preachers.

Show me.  

I thought 1 because you have a history regarding QBs where you should just stay away from any QB discussion.

Like when you somehow saw and stated that Darnold is a weak, noodle arm, QB ala Chad who you didn't like.

But of course you loved Patrick Ramsey and Campbell at QB.  

Gems like that sat, stay away.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I can't speak for others, but here is what I'd like to see:

-- 4,000 Yards Passing or more. (12 QB's reached or exceeded this mark in 2018.)

-- 25 Passing TD's or more. (13 QB's reached or exceeding this mark in 2018.)

-- A 2:1 Passing TD/Interception Ratio or better. (17 QB's were 2:1 or better in 2018, more than half of Starting #1 QB's.)

-- A 60% Completion Rate or better. (Only 3 QB's failed to make this mark in 2018, including Darnold).

I think this is a VERY reasonable expectation of an elite QB in the NFL in a Gase system with the talent we have in 2019. 

If Darnold is in fact an elite QB, the best we've has since Namath as you say, matching the production of a 12th ranked QB is pretty reasonable to expect.

Would you agree?

I would think as a baseline, those are sort of realistic if not easy goals for Darnold in Year 2. I just go by my eyes and just from a sheer ability standpoint what I see in Darnold is a skillset only a couple QBs in the NFL have. I also think that looking at the totality of last year does Darnolda disservice and paints a skewed picture because he had 3 bad games which really dragged all of the stats down. I have never felt confidence in a QB like I do for Darnold about any other Jets QB. Ever. Just think about what he has shown us already skill wise:

- He moves in the pocket as well as almost anyone  in the NFL

- He has upper tier arm strength..yeah I know he tested middle of the pack in the combine test, but he clearly has more arm strength than last year and has a LOT on the ball

- He can throw on the run with the very best in the NFL including Rodgers and Mahomes

- He learns incredibly quickly. Example he went from being awful at ball security in the pocket to one of the best in the NFL in one seeason

- He has an elite release

- Despite his completion percentage, which was affected mostly by 3 "rookie" games where Gailey hung him out to dry, he is one of the most accurate QBs I have ever seen in terms of ball placement

Maybe I will be disappointed in the end. But barring injury I just don't see it. I think he is going to have a monster year.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The QB comparison I made last year for Darnold was Mark Brunell in his prime with the Jaguars. 

He had good size, was mobile, and had a very good arm. I'm curious if those who are old enough to remember Brunell back then see any of his style in Darnold's game also.... I'd be very happy if Darnold turned into a QB like he was back then.

Yeah, lol, you're not a fan. 

Brunell was mediocre. Sam's rookie year was comparable to almost every season where Brunell was a primary starter, and no one is satisfied with Sam's rookie season. Brunell would be my idea of Darnold's floor and, IMHO, that would be a low floor. One that probably wouldn't see a second contract. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...