ONE DORTCH DRIVE

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I have the same feeling. The only real issue with this guy is that he’s 5’7”
Even ray mickens looks down on dortch

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

and Darren Sproles looks up to him... I get the weight difference but if they can play they can play... Dortch will not be asked to carry even a decent load... return punts/kickoffs & maybe 3rd down on occasion... if he proves himself capable & able maybe some more but I doubt Anything significant.... Robbie is listed as 6'3 but he's a bean pole who has proven so far to take a hit & keep on going.

• Upvote 1

I am optimistic about the kid, but the one thing that scares me is he put the ball on the ground against the Giants.  May just be an isolated thing, as I have not heard that it has been an issue in camp.  As long asthe CS is confident he can take care of the ball, then there should be a place for him as PR and 6th/7th WR on the depth chart.  Right now, I have Robby, QE, Crowder, Bellamy, Burnett and Dortch making the team.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I am optimistic about the kid, but the one thing that scares me is he put the ball on the ground against the Giants.  May just be an isolated thing, as I have not heard that it has been an issue in camp. 

You must be out-of-your-mind terrified of Cannon then...  :-)  I think that one fumble was more of a great play by the defender (perfect blindside punch while he was airborne), maybe mentally he needs to be more aware that that can happen.  But I don't think it's a physical issue / habit, like it is with Cannon. 

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

You must be out-of-your-mind terrified of Cannon then...  :-)  I think that one fumble was more of a great play by the defender (perfect blindside punch while he was airborne), maybe mentally he needs to be more aware that that can happen.  But I don't think it's a physical issue / habit, like it is with Cannon. 

I am terrified of anyone who has a propensity to put the ball on the ground.  Nothing loses games mroe quickly than a turnover, especially on STs where you are usually giving up field position as well as the ball.  

That said, from what I recall, Cannon fumbled twice last preseason.  I believe one of those was returning a punt, something he had never done in college.  He never fumbled in the regular season, and I do not believe he has fumbled at all this pre-season.  He got a label as a fumbler at this time last year.  I don't think he is a very good running back, but he has not put the ball on the ground that I can recall in about a full year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

The deal with the Devil that he is making and the Jets would also be making is that we will use him until the NFL manages to break him.  At that point we find someone else.

See Wayne Chrebet

Saw Wayne Chrebet from his first walk on practice through his 10th season.  

He outlasted the much bigger Al Toon

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am terrified of anyone who has a propensity to put the ball on the ground.  Nothing loses games mroe quickly than a turnover, especially on STs where you are usually giving up field position as well as the ball.  

That said, from what I recall, Cannon fumbled twice last preseason.  I believe one of those was returning a punt, something he had never done in college.  He never fumbled in the regular season, and I do not believe he has fumbled at all this pre-season.  He got a label as a fumbler at this time last year.  I don't think he is a very good running back, but he has not put the ball on the ground that I can recall in about a full year. 

you cannot derive propensity from a single incident

also, dropping punts is not exactly fumbling...  cannon cant field punts. i make no excuses for him. thats fact.

cannon didnt fumble all last regular season

dortch has good hands

and he got jukes

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

you cannot derive propensity from a single incident

also, dropping punts is not exactly fumbling...  cannon cant field punts. i make no excuses for him. thats fact.

cannon didnt fumble all last regular season

dortch has good hands

and he got jukes

I never said Dortch has a propensity to fumble.  In my original post, I said that it may be an isolated incident as I have not seen practice reports indicating that he has had an issue.  But the fact remains that he has had 8 touches in two games, with 1 fumble.  It bears watching.

I was responding to a question about Cannon and pointing out that, as you mentioned, he has never fumbled in a regular season game.  Yet he seems to have the rep as a fumbler based on two fumbles during pre-season last year. 

"I am terrified of anyone who has a propensity to put the ball on the ground."

you said it. you were talking about dortch. or maybe you are wondering aloud IF HE HAS THE PROPENSITY?

not a fumbler in college. no reports that i recall of him fumbling in practice threads....

as i said  and you said re: Cannon ------people are equating him being unable to field punts with fumbling...  i mean, technically its a fumble...   but in his case its being unable to ESTABLISH possession when fielding a punt, not the same as having possession via handoff or catch and then losing it...   in which case he had zero fumbles.

I didn't know that Dortch played QB up until high school. QBs often have the best hands on the team, touching the football on every play (spare me the wildcat). Could be a real reason he appears to have such good hands. It would seem that he has the punt returner job all locked up and I'm psyched for the kid. That alone is enough for him to dress on Sundays, IMHO, but if he demonstrates an ability to play the slot at the NFL level, he's gonna put pressure on Burnett's roster spot (better hands than Enunwa or Anderson, but not the same ability once the ball is in his hands as them or Dortch). 

Marcus Maye was featured this week as well, and I'm definitely pulling for him to quickly get up to speed and have a healthy season. It's no coincidence that he's healthy and all of a sudden the Jets are playing with three safety sets. Given the team's CB situation, that's something we could certainly see. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

pressure on Burnett's roster spot (better hands than Enunwa or Anderson, but not the same ability once the ball is in his hands as them or Dortch). 

this confused me...  you think Deontay has better hands than Anderson? hmm. dunno.

I'd rather have Burnett catch all the ones Q doesnt than his occasional YAC.

Anyway...  am happy to have both Dortch and Burnett. 

I think one of the new DB signings will be groomed as gunner and pressure Peake

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

this confused me...  you think Deontay has better hands than Anderson? hmm. dunno.

I'd rather have Burnett catch all the ones Q doesnt than his occasional YAC.

Anyway...  am happy to have both Dortch and Burnett. 

I think one of the new DB signings will be groomed as gunner and pressure Peake

Burnett has demonstrated himself to have very good hands and, yes, better than Anderson's, IMHO. Dortch and Burnett may both make the team, but Dortch appears to have a defined job as the punt returner and Burnett will be battling other teams' cuts at virtually any position of need should Dortch also demonstrate that he can handle slot duties in relief of Crowder.