2016 and 2017 1st rounds revisited (NFL.com): Darron Lee gets a D+, Jamal Adams gets A+

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041302/article/2016-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-three-years-in

2016 NFL Draft revisited: Grades for first-rounders three years in

Print
  • 0ap3000000454479.jpg
  • By Lance Zierlein
  • NFL Media draft analyst
  • Published: Aug. 14, 2019 at 02:58 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 21, 2019 at 09:06 a.m.
  •  

NYJ.png

Darron Lee - OLB

Grade: D+ | School: Ohio State 

After a disappointing rookie season and mediocre second season to begin his career with theJets, Lee was putting together a fairly solid campaign in Year 3, but he missed the last four games of the season while serving a suspension for violating the NFL's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. This offseason, Adam Gase's first move as interim general manager was to ship Lee out to the Chiefs in exchange for just a sixth-round pick. This pick was a miss.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043069/article/2017-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-two-years-in

2017 NFL Draft revisited: Grades for first-rounders two years in

• 0ap3000001031800.jpg
  • By Ali Bhanpuri
  • Deputy Editor
  • Published: Aug. 21, 2019 at 08:56 a.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 21, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.

NYJ.png

Jamal Adams - S

Grade: A+ | School: LSU 

The Jets drafted a stud when Adams fell to them at No. 6. He not only became an instant leader for the franchise -- infusing a level of toughness, accountability and superstar talent the team needed -- but he also earned the respect of his peers, as his place (No. 37) on the " Top 100 Players of 2019" demonstrates. The Pro Bowler ranked first among all safeties in snaps (1,119), defensive stops (44), pressures (22), sacks (4), hurries (13) and forced fumbles (3) last season, according to PFF. He's not only an incredible player, but a great ambassador for the organization. What more could you ask for?

I would give Lee a C or C+ if you compare to how the rest of the league did.  Most GMs were completely outsmarted.

That draft was terrible.   The right answer there was basically one of the much better players picked in the second round (where Mac picked Hack).

I think if Douglas was backed a corner and drafted Lee for a team coached by Gase and Williams, Lee would have done better starting out than he did molded by Bowles and Kacy.  

But I am glad Lee is not a Jet.  I am just trying to be slightly more forgiving given how bad that draft was.  

• Upvote 1

When we actually have a good defense after a decade of putting almost all resources into it I'll start giving people A pluses.  For all the Adams love he still does not play a premium position on defense and he will be a good vocal player but not a great one unless he starts generating turnovers.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041302/article/2016-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-three-years-in

2016 NFL Draft revisited: Grades for first-rounders three years in

Print
  • 0ap3000000454479.jpg
  • By Lance Zierlein
  • NFL Media draft analyst
  • Published: Aug. 14, 2019 at 02:58 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 21, 2019 at 09:06 a.m.
  •  

NYJ.png

Darron Lee - OLB

Grade: D+ | School: Ohio State 

After a disappointing rookie season and mediocre second season to begin his career with theJets, Lee was putting together a fairly solid campaign in Year 3, but he missed the last four games of the season while serving a suspension for violating the NFL's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. This offseason, Adam Gase's first move as interim general manager was to ship Lee out to the Chiefs in exchange for just a sixth-round pick. This pick was a miss.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043069/article/2017-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-two-years-in

2017 NFL Draft revisited: Grades for first-rounders two years in

• 0ap3000001031800.jpg
  • By Ali Bhanpuri
  • Deputy Editor
  • Published: Aug. 21, 2019 at 08:56 a.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 21, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.

NYJ.png

Jamal Adams - S

Grade: A+ | School: LSU 

The Pro Bowler ranked first among all safeties in snaps (1,119), defensive stops (44), pressures (22), sacks (4), hurries (13) and forced fumbles (3) last season, according to PFF. 

That's impressive stuff.  

It's getting harder for the Adam's haters to say he's not a top, if not the top safety in the game.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That's impressive stuff.  

It's getting harder for the Adam's haters to say he's not a top, if not the top safety in the game.

I guess I am an Adams "hater."  I am not sure why a pro bowl safety that has the most snaps and gets zero interceptions should not be at or near the top in the other categories.  That being said, he certainly seemed to be flying around in the Falcons game.  It was great to see. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I guess I am an Adams "hater."  I am not sure why a pro bowl safety that has the most snaps and gets zero interceptions should not be at or near the top in the other categories.  That being said, he certainly seemed to be flying around in the Falcons game.  It was great to see. 

So, your theory is that leading the league in defensive stops (44), pressures (22), sacks (4), hurries (13) and forced fumbles (3)  is not impressive because he's also on the field the most?

You really do have to dislike the guy to come to a conclusion like that.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, your theory is that leading the league in defensive stops (44), pressures (22), sacks (4), hurries (13) and forced fumbles (3)  is not impressive because he's also on the field the most?

Adams is a great player.  We will want him to be a game changer-like Berry, Earl Thomas, Sean Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders to justify where he was picked and how much he will be paid.  Adams may justify it. 

But when you don't have a QB you take a high potential franchise QB at 6.   The Jets drafting Adams looks now fine because Gettleman gagged and they have Darnold.  But if they ended up with Rosen and perhaps even Josh Allen if he ends up like I think he will, drafting Adams would have been a grave error.

But now, smart thinking Mac!

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Adams is a great player.  We will want him to be a game changer-like Berry, Earl Thomas, Sean Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders to justify where he was picked and how much he will be paid.  Adams may justify it. 

But when you don't have a QB you take a high potential franchise QB at 6.   The Jets drafting Adams looks now fine because Gettleman gagged and they have Darnold.  But if they ended up with Rosen and perhaps even Josh Allen if he ends up like I think he will, drafting Adams would have been a grave error.

But now, smart thinking Mac!

I hear you, but at this point we need to get over the fact that we passed on Mahomes.  It's not really the point anymore.  It's, is Adams a top level, impact player?.  The answer to that question is clearly yes - only the most jaded Jet fans see it otherwise.

I didn't love the pick - but it's time to get over and recognize what we have and be happy about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You have to dislike someone to realize that if one of the best players has the most opportunities he should have more stats.  Especially considering his lack of time in centerfield, as evidenced by his interception numbers.  I don't actually dislike him.  I did not like the pick, but I think he has been as good as I expected and looks like he might be even better than that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets drafted a stud when Adams fell to them at No. 6. He not only became an instant leader for the franchise -- infusing a level of toughness, accountability and superstar talent the team needed -- but he also earned the respect of his peers, as his place (No. 37) on the " Top 100 Players of 2019" demonstrates. The Pro Bowler ranked first among all safeties in snaps (1,119), defensive stops (44), pressures (22), sacks (4), hurries (13) and forced fumbles (3) last season, according to PFF. He's not only an incredible player, but a great ambassador for the organization. What more could you ask for?

Bro, she has a great personality. Face is kinda jacked up, but she’s really cool. Trust me

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I hear you, but at this point we need to get over the fact that we passed on Mahomes.  It's not really the point anymore.  It's, is Adams a top level, impact player?.  The answer to that question is clearly yes - only the most jaded Jet fans see it otherwise.

I didn't love the pick - but it's time to get over and recognize what we have and be happy about it.

I am over it.  It came out fine, by accident, but you take your luck when it comes.  Mac was fired and is not coming back.  It’s all good with respect to Adams and Darnold.  Douglas just has to figure out how to get to the Super Bowl in the next 2 years before Darnold takes all the cap space.  

• Upvote 1

i'm not so sure about given lee such a low grade.  he started and he did some good things.  he was overdrafted by at least a round given his performance and he had those off field issues to deal with.  maybe c+ is closer to where he should be and we'll see pretty quickly if anthony turns out to be a better player.

That's impressive stuff.  

Never disputed him being a top safety. Problem is that being a top safety who doesn’t create turnovers has minimal positive impact on the game. Hence our 9-23 record since Adams was drafted.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You mean like the one who started the thread?  lol.  

I've never considered you a Adams hating Dbag 80. You know football too well unlike the hatred of irrational others. Adams may not have been your first choice at #6 that year but you realize how good Adams is.

And to think, Macc tried to trade up in the 2016 draft to draft Laremy Tunsil.

He actually had an agreement in place, but didn't want to give up his 2nd rounder in the deal.

So, instead of a franchise cornerstone LT, we ended up with Darron Lee and Christian Hackenberg.

Awesome.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

And to think, Macc tried to trade up in the 2016 draft to draft Laremy Tunsil.

He actually had an agreement in place, but didn't want to give up his 2nd rounder in the deal.

So, instead of a franchise cornerstone LT, we ended up with Darron Lee and Christian Hackenberg.

Awesome.

and he saved that 3rd rounder in the almost trade up for Wentz - sometimes price does not matter, both the Lee and Adams picks should have been QB's - that matters

• Upvote 1

When we actually have a good defense after a decade of putting almost all resources into it I'll start giving people A pluses.  For all the Adams love he still does not play a premium position on defense and he will be a good vocal player but not a great one unless he starts generating turnovers.

I’m a huge Adams fan (on and off the field and his passion for green and white) and he has I believe 15 FF in my madden franchise. The turnovers are coming this year! (Tongue and cheek about the FFs but I believe Adams will be polamolu (bad speller) esque starting this year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

I’m a huge Adams fan (on and off the field and his passion for green and white) and he has I believe 15 FF in my madden franchise. The turnovers are coming this year! (Tongue and cheek about the FFs but I believe Adams will be polamolu (bad speller) esque starting this year)

Yeah this is the thing he is being treated as palamolou/reed/Sean Taylor etc etc before he every becomes that much of an impact player.

Yeah this is the thing he is being treated as palamolou/reed/Sean Taylor etc etc before he every becomes that much of an impact player.

Well he surely flashes the potential to be one of them. His play, attitude towards the game and the fans and the team really show something special. Not saying you, but it amazes me that people can’t be happy and proud that this guy is on our team