Sign in to follow this  
Stark

Gase Press Conference 8/21

Near the end of the presser he gets asked about RB's and his opinion on having versatile RB's vs just runners. Obviously for Gase he likes his system built around the players, says some teams and schemes value just Runners and then He makes a point to say (an I am not directly quoting) but:

Having Bell, Ty, and Powell, all 3 guys can do everything and you don't have to change the way you call plays because they can do the same stuff..... Yesterdays presser (maybe day before) he was complimenting Canon and how he is catching the ball more easily and sees potential there.

See you later McGuire.... 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/adam-gase-preseason-press-conference-8-21

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Anybody with at least one mediocre eye can see McGuire is not even a JAG. Take away that one 80 yard run and his career amounts to running into the line and picking up 2.5 years a pop.  No way he makes this roster.

You just described me perfectly. 

• Haha 3

I was not a  big fan of picking up montgomery when we did due to his issues in Green Bay but he is looking like a potentially very useful player.  Also agreed that McGuire is a total jag powell is a much  more useful player.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Anybody with at least one mediocre eye can see McGuire is not even a JAG. Take away that one 80 yard run and his career amounts to running into the line and picking up 2.5 years a pop.  No way he makes this roster.

agree 1000000%

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I was not a  big fan of picking up montgomery when we did due to his issues in Green Bay but he is looking like a potentially very useful player.  Also agreed that McGuire is a total jag powell is a much  more useful player.

Other than 1 dumb decision to return a kick he was told not to what other issues were there in GB?

If powell is truely healthy he is the second best back on this team.  Great veteran presence too.  Well its all said and done I think powell is going to have a role this year spelling bell.

17 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Other than 1 dumb decision to return a kick he was told not to what other issues were there in GB?

"The league-owned site reported that six Packers coaches and players had said Montgomery was frustrated when he came off the field for a second-down play with about six minutes left in the game, categorizing his actions as a “tantrum” when he slammed his helmet on the sideline.

One anonymous player then made the correlation that Montgomery’s display coming off the field meant he willfully went against McCarthy’s order to take a knee in order to serve his own interest."

And he fumbled that kick return.  That is the big sin more than not following instructions.

someone said trade mcguire? sheesh. no ones trading anything for that guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If powell is truely healthy he is the second best back on this team.  Great veteran presence too.  Well its all said and done I think powell is going to have a role this year spelling bell.

Lol.   Green glasses or trolling.  Montgomery is twice the player and will be getting twice as much playing time. 

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"The league-owned site reported that six Packers coaches and players had said Montgomery was frustrated when he came off the field for a second-down play with about six minutes left in the game, categorizing his actions as a “tantrum” when he slammed his helmet on the sideline.

One anonymous player then made the correlation that Montgomery’s display coming off the field meant he willfully went against McCarthy’s order to take a knee in order to serve his own interest."

And he fumbled that kick return.  That is the big sin more than not following instructions.

He tried to make a play. It was a bad decision. But from what I have seen so far we are very lucky to have him. 2 back sets with Bell and Montgomery could be a complete nightmare

28 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Maybe Powell, Cannon or McGuire can be trade bait to get a corner here

Would have to be a one-legged corner!

13 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Would have to be a one-legged corner!

tenorHYJT2ZF1.gif.a7d57210a4b21b63b4f0b9de52a72e41.gif

17 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Lol.   Green glasses or trolling.  Montgomery is twice the player and will be getting twice as much playing time. 

Hahahahaha.  This is too funny.  Bilal powell is asuperior football player in every aspect of the game.   Now if hes not healthy, then i see your point.  But yku cannot compare them as football players. Its not even close.

I was thinking it would be bad to keep an older beat up player like Powell over Cannon and/or McGuire, but the younger guys are really so useless that I would rather take my chance with Powell and someone on the PS who steps in if and when Powell gets injured

Powell doesn't have that much mileage on his body. He never got tons of carries, either he was hurt, or they were playing other rb's ahead of him (like Ivory). So he's fresh. I also think it's good having some long tenured Jets around, . It feels less like you are rooting for laundry.

Gase comes across really well in pressers lately. The beat writers are so in love with Darnold (and Bell) that are not just trying to be confrontational or sensational and asking real questions and getting surprisingly candid and detailed responses from Gase. Now who knows what happens after our first lose, but his press conferences are very informational.

Sounds like we are headed to getting most of the injured players back too