• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah at first I think he wanted to attract the MAGA crowd, who were at the time boycotting the NFL over the player protests. But in the end football is too popular and ingrained in the culture of this

And still not profitable 

They ripped off the old Houston Oilers logo.  The NY logo - is that a gargoyle?

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the AAF couldn’t even last a full season, no way this revival is going to work.

I wouldn't bet against McMahon... Yes XFL failed the first time. AAFL would have succeeded if they weren't paying for airtime. XFL already has broadcast sponsors... The reason why XFL failed the first time is that it was rushed and had terrible football.... AAFL had decent football.

• Upvote 2

Well they certainly look like football teams. Each of the logos would go well on a helmet. I like the color variety. Nothing is embarrassingly weird. But oddly that's kind of the problem. It's all a bit too generic. Other than the Texas ones there's nothing particularly in tune with the city they want to represent. 

Like unless they're low key alluding to Daniel Bryan (WWE wrestler from Washington nicknamed the "American Dragon") I don't know what a Dragon has to do with Seattle. Or a wild cat for LA. And I barely know what that Guardian logo is supposed to be of, I guess a Lion.

Somebody on twitter said they look like randomly generated teams from Madden. I think that sums them up perfectly. 

• Upvote 1

Also it's gonna be really expensive to provide travel to these teams, damn. One thing to note about smaller leagues like this is that they tend to cluster in short proximity because that tends to be one of the bigger costs. Better to bus a team over to a game some 3-5 hours away than fly them cross country 4 times. 

And I just realized the "Guardians" will be playing at Metlife. Gonna make the Red Bulls playing at Giants Stadium look cozy I think. 

15 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

They ripped off the old Houston Oilers logo. 

The NY logo - is that a gargoyle?

Actually pretty cool for an NYC team. 

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Checking their website, my hunch was correct. It is supposed to be a gargoyle. I actually think that's pretty cool.

Wow. Okay I take it back. That is appropriate for New York. A unique angle I wouldn't have thought of at first. Still a little abstract, I couldn't tell that this is what it is at first glance but I like the idea.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This league is already toast. McMahon wants to market it to the NASCAR crowd and even nascar is in the death spiral 

I think that was the original intent, but not so much anymore. Andrew Luck's father is running the league, and he supposedly approached Colin Kaepernick about playing for them at one point. 

I'll check it out because, why the hell not?  But there's also a very good chance that I'll naturally phase out of caring along the way, just as was the case with the AAF.  In truth, it is the amount of downtime during the NFL offseason that actually helps get fans really into it once it's finally returning.  Rolling something out there after 6 months of everyone watching football, with an undoubtedly much lower talent level, is a very tough hill to climb, regardless of how well done it is.

You obviously can't blame any of them for not wanting to go head-to-head with NFL, but a new league kickoff one week after the Super Bowl is not an easy sell.

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I think that was the original intent, but not so much anymore. Andrew Luck's father is running the league, and he supposedly approached Colin Kaepernick about playing for them at one point. 

Interesting. I seem to recall that McMahon’s first statement was that nobody was gonna kneel in his XFL and sh*t like that. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'll check it out because, why the hell not?  But there's also a very good chance that I'll naturally phase out of caring along the way, just as was the case with the AAF.  In truth, it is the amount of downtime during the NFL offseason that actually helps get fans really into it once it's finally returning.  Rolling something out there after 6 months of everyone watching football, with an undoubtedly much lower talent level, is a very tough hill to climb, regardless of how well done it is.

You obviously can't blame any of them for not wanting to go head-to-head with NFL, but a new league kickoff one week after the Super Bowl is not an easy sell.

The shame of the AAF was that in the final few weeks before they folded, there were some close and entertaining games. Just as the quality of play was getting to be good they ran out of money. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting. I seem to recall that McMahon’s first statement was that nobody was gonna kneel in his XFL and sh*t like that. 

Yeah at first I think he wanted to attract the MAGA crowd, who were at the time boycotting the NFL over the player protests. But in the end football is too popular and ingrained in the culture of this country. People were eventually going to go back to watching and attending the games, regardless of what some cable news blowhards had to say about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

The only surprise to me is the team in Tampa ... my recollection was Bucs always having problems with attendance ... i haven't checked that in a number of years though

Would have figured Miami or Atlanta to be better choices ... anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out

59 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I wouldn't bet against McMahon... Yes XFL failed the first time. AAFL would have succeeded if they weren't paying for airtime. XFL already has broadcast sponsors... The reason why XFL failed the first time is that it was rushed and had terrible football.... AAFL had decent football.

Why, because he succeeded with the last version of the XFL? 

It failed because of McMahon.  He wouldn't listen to all that wanted it to be real football while he wanted it to be closer to wrestling.  And on top of that he pushed for the stripper like cheerleaders, the rest of the offensive presentation for most people

The New York team's name is the Guardians. Is that a play on Guardians of the Galaxy. Gilbride is HC and Janet Duch who was a Senior VP at MSG for the Rangers and the Knicks team Pres.  Vince McMahon reportedly plans on putting a lot of money into this enterprise. The Guards play at Met Life but it will be cold. 

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Vince Mcmahon is worth nearly 3 billion dollars. It will last a season. Whether it lasts beyond that, who knows. 

He can have all the money in the world but he has to have a TV contract to survive. Last time NBC told them they were pulling the plug and it was gone.  Plus I really bounty he'll float the XFL on his dime if they're losing money.  

I hope they're successful. I think there is a window of opportunity for success if they have the cash flow. Maybe they'll allow hitting like the NFL used to. Maybe they'll be able to outbid the NFL on some big rookies to make a splash since the rookie cap limits NFL teams now. That didn't exist the last time the XFL tried.