Jets have signed WR Quincy Adeboyejo......... Who???

Adeboyejo went undrafted out of Ole Miss in 2017 before being signed by the Ravens. He made the Ravens practice squad in 2017 and made it onto the active roster at the end of the season. However, in 2018 Adeboyejo went down with a leg injury and missed the entire season. The Ravens waived Adeboyejo at the end of July.

The Jets have a strong starting receiving core, but there isn’t a whole lot of depth behind them. Adding Adeboyejo would give them another body just in case someone were to go down with an injury.

38 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I know a lot of people love Burnett (I like him too), but I don’t think Gase is nearly as sold on him. 

Yeah, I really like what I see from Burnett but I get that feeling too. However, Jets have started marketing "Tay" so maybe he is locked in at #4 and these moves are for #5 and #6. I think Dortch makes it as PR and will swell WRs to 7

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah, I really like what I see from Burnett but I get that feeling too. However, Jets have started marketing "Tay" so maybe he is locked in at #4 and these moves are for #5 and #6. I think Dortch makes it as PR and will swell WRs to 7

This is kind of my feeling as well.

Montgomery is going to be in the slot and even split out wide a helluva lot more than most people think IMO.

That was the big advantage of signing him over a guy like Spencer Ware who the Jet also brought in for a a workout (and who I personally preferred at the time as more of a between the tackles, downhill runner). 

Was with BAL so Chad Alexander knows him:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/quincy-adeboyejo?id=2557843

OVERVIEW

Adeboyejo (add-ah-BOY-joe) was one of the top 50 recruits from Texas coming to Oxford for 2013. He got on the field pretty quickly as a freshman, playing in every game and starting twice (7-81, one touchdown on the year). His role grew as a sophomore, catching 26 passes for 313 yards and two scores in 13 games (five starts). Adeboyejo accumulated comparable numbers in his junior (38-604, seven TD) and senior (35-456, one TD) years, starting 20 games between the two seasons but never really being the primary target.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Height and speed are appealing. Operated outside and from the slot at Ole Miss. Has access to another gear. On go routes, uses basic head nods and jab steps to create hesitation in defensive backs before racing past them. Has been able to get over the top of most defenders he's faced. Coaches compliment his on-field intelligence. Three-time honor roll student off the field. Combination of quick feet and long strides provide opportunities for big catch-and-run plays on the next level.

WEAKNESSES

Hands are inconsistent. Will try to cradle contested jump balls rather than snatching. Play strength is below par. Doesn't take much of a jam to redirect him in his routes. Has to learn to stack defensive backs and maintain position once he's on top of them vertically. Routes were mostly basic and lacking in technique. Ball tracking a work in progress. Lacks suddenness to operate as typical NFL slot receiver. Will need time to develop skill-set on next level.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 6-7

BOTTOM LINE

With a frame that should be able to add more muscle, Adeboyejo could be considered a Day 3 height-weight-speed flyer based on his ability to attack down the field. He is raw and is currently lacking the skill level needed to compete for NFL playing time, but has intriguing potential as a field stretcher or big vertical slot receiver.

43 minutes ago, Larz said:

Seems like JD is getting a jump on churning the bottom of the roster, not waiting until cut down day

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

I think he's scouring for guys that would be good practice squad candidates. The chance too improve our roster will be when the big cut down comes.   

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I know a lot of people love Burnett (I like him too), but I don’t think Gase is nearly as sold on him. 

It's one thing to not be fully 'sold' on a guy. It's another to cut bait on a guy who clearly has chemistry with your young franchise QB and who has been catching EVERYTHING. Say what you will about his ability after the catch or on deep routes, Burnett has been able to get open and has shown great hands. In regular season games towards the end of last year. In training camp. And in pre-season. If Gase cuts him for some injury prone chump he picked up off the waiver wire he'd be cutting off his own nose to spite his face. I don;t think he would do that. Looks to me like a depth move in case of injury. Looks to me like he is not sold on some of the 7, 8, 9 guys like White, Thompson, Peake, Smith.   

• Upvote 1