If Giants take Darnold...

jgb

If Giants went Darnold...  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who does Macc take?

I honestly think Bowles talks him into taking Denzel Ward, or Chubb in this scenario which is why Macc, and Bowles should have been fired when they let a SURE THING (don’t @ me) at QB like Mahomes slip by for a average LB who is out of position at SS because he is a supposed leader of men because the old HC had zero interest in being said leader of men like the Jets new coach seems to be quite ok with, and has zero use for so called leader of men.  Yes Adams is a good player, and it is great to have him on the Jets, and it’s not his fault that Macc and Bowles are clueless morons, but you just can’t pass on Mahomes there as needy of a QB team the Jets were.

Thank goodness for Darnold, or I’d be setting up apple picking plans for Sunday’s this fall.

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I honestly think Bowles talks him into taking Denzel Ward, or Chubb in this scenario which is why Macc, and Bowles should have been fired when they let a SURE THING (don’t @ me) at QB like Mahomes slip by for a average LB who is out of position at SS because he is a supposed leader of men because the old HC had zero interest in being said leader of men like the Jets new coach seems to be quite ok with, and has zero use for so called leader of men.  Yes Adams is a good player, and it is great to have him on the Jets, and it’s not his fault that Macc and Bowles are clueless morons, but you just can’t pass on Mahomes there as needy of a QB team the Jets were.

Thank goodness for Darnold, or I’d be setting up apple picking plans for Sunday’s this fall.

:rolleyes:    Please spare me.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

I would have rathered saquon over all of them.  I know it’s a RB super early but he woulda been BPA

Yeah but the only problem for Maccagnan is that the moron had played his "super-safe" consensus, protect my job, player selection for 4 consecutive years until now his back was to the wall and he knew Ownership and Fan base had a "bring me a Franchise QB" mandate or turn in your key card immediately, which is why he desperately tried to sign Cousins (which of course would have been an unmitigated disaster, you'd get at best an 8-8 season over 3 years, a drained bank account, and a back to the drawing board QB search after 3 years), to of course AGAIN try to protect his job.....so even if Barkeley was a guaranteed Barry Sanders didn't matter Maccagnan had to go QB.....and if not for the Giants he ends up with Rosen, who can't feel a rush or get out of one when he does, or Josh Allen who had trouble reading Div III D's...would probably have been Rosen, was the "safest" QB if both Mayfield and Darnold were off the board.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mac’s board was:

1- mayfield

2- darnold

3- Rosen

This was Macs board on draft night! A few months prior to the Draft Mac had Darnold at 1 but then he started to realize that he might not be getting Darnold so the Jets dug deeper into Mayfield and fell in love with him so a few weeks before the draft the Jets board switched to the above. So we got our #2 guy who was originally our #1. As long as we didn't get our #3 the 1 or 2 worked for me.

I would have rathered saquon over all of them.  I know it’s a RB super early but he woulda been BPA
I'd of rather went Allen at that point.

I can't imagine trading up from 6 to 3 with all we gave up to then take a RB, even one as talented as Barkley.

By the time we'd get our QB and have a team ready to contend Barkley would be demanding more money and be just a couple years away from falling off a cliff like Gurley most likely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Definitely Rosen.

In my opinion, I believe Macc's draft board was:

1) Darnold

2) Rosen

3) Mayfield

I remember our boy @Mogglez kept telling us that Darnold and Rosen were Macc's Top 2 QBs, and that he actually was waffling on those 2 until the end when Darnold separated himself and was looked as QB1 by the Jets. I think the Mayfield being a lock at #3 talk was just a smokescreen that was thrown out so in the event that Darnold and Rosen went 1 & 2, it would give off the appearance that Mayfield was their guy all along and that they didn't trade up to #3 just to end up settling for the 3rd best QB available. I don't subscribe to the theory that Macc had intel on the Giants and just knew they were taking Saquon Barkley. I'm sure they knew it was a good chance they would, but I doubt they really felt it was set in stone.

In turn, that ended up spooking Dorsey. I believe that he had already identified Baker Mayfield as "his guy", but felt they'd still be able to snag him at 4 while getting Barkley at 1. Once the Jets/Baker report started dropping, he realized he couldn't get too cute and risk losing out on his QB (especially given the importance of the position and the history of how the Browns have botched that position in the draft). He had no choice but to take Mayfield at once.

Had Macc not dropped that Mayfield smokescreen, Dorsey would have taken Barkley #1 and the Giants would have either taken Darnold or traded out of the 2nd pick to a team that wanted Darnold, and we'd have Rosen right now. Not saying Macc outsmarted Dorsey by any means, but his agenda led to the "his QB" falling right into his lap at 3. Call it sheer luck

I'd guess Rosen though I think Allen is going to be a much better QB.  I see the Bills on almost the exact same trajectory as the Jets.  Young QB and a young team on the rise. 

It's probably too early to really judge Josh Rosen but I always thought he seemed too frail for the NFL and his arm strength seems questionable to me.  I could see him getting hurt and then turning into Pennington (and not the Pennington who won the division with the Dolphins).

In any case, I'm very happy we ended up with Darnold.  I think we got the best of the bunch.  Baker is talented but I think Darnold will be better.  (And that's leaving out the personality issues Baker has).  I do think Josh Allen is going to be interesting though.  I have a feeling we're going to see a Darnold/Allen rivalry for a good number of years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Jordan Palmer was right, Josh Allen’s upside is tremendous.  

We heard about this guy a full year before the draft....”Josh who, out of what school?”

I’m yet to be convinced. Allen is a big physical, one read QB, who’s first thought is to run for a first down.

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m yet to be convinced. Allen is a big physical, one read QB’s, who’s first thought is to run for a first down.

I can understand that, but I’ll take Jordan and Sam’s word for Josh’s potential.  At this level, I support all the California guys in the league.

• Haha 1

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

I can understand that, but I’ll take Jordan and Sam’s word for Josh’s potential.  At this level, I support all the California guys in the league.

Jets West strikes again..

I take it you was in Tupac’s corner also, and not Biggie Smalls ?

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

East Coast V West coast thing.

Both Tupac and Biggie, where shot dead over East coast V West coast rivalries.

I’m not one to champion territorial rivalries with violence or murder.  Sad and distasteful tragedy for both “sides”.

I just cheer for California kids because I’m sick of the southern and east coast shrills constant chirping that WC athletes are soft or lacking in talent compared to their regions.  Bullsh*t. 

32 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

No doubt about Allen's potential, where the doubt creeps in is about him fulfilling it. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Francesa said unequivocally that he knew the Jets wanted Rosen over everyone except Sam

I’m not one of these people who believes everything Fatcessa says but I don’t think he’s making this one up

The problem is that Francesca often has a bad combo of being full of sh*t and in the dark regarding league gossip. This was especially the case leading up to that draft.

For instance, leading up to that draft, Francesca stated several times that, If Cleveland somehow passed on him, the Giants would “never” pass on Darnold. Of course, it turned out that Pantherman didn’t even like any of the QBs in that draft and was infatuated with Barkley. 

Francesa knows dick about dick.

14 hours ago, jgb said:

I'd actually love to read any reports about this. I haven't seen anything about Macc's thoughts about Rosen and Allen.

He flew out to the west coast to watch Rosen's Pro Day.

But this is Macc we're talking about.  He might have secretly fallen in love with Allen for all the wrong reasons.  He was thinking we'd get Baker Mayfield, and once Mayfield went at 1, he probably was panicking.  If Darnold had gone at 2, who knows which one we take.  

• Upvote 1