Your personal best call and worst call

jgb

Darron Lee was garbage. Knew that about 5 minutes after he was drafted. That preseason game against the Redskins last year? That was when my prediction came full circle. He was such an embarrassment in that game.... Exposed as SOFT, a complete idiot on the field acting cocky after every play he got owned, that horse collar tackle that got him a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when he was playing SPECIAL TEAMS of all things? A former 20th overall pick playing ST should tell you all you need to know.

I never thought the Jets were going to draft Sammy Darnold. I figured it was a virtual certainty that the Brownies would take Sam Darnold 1st overall. I very much believed in Baker Mayfield's abilities. I thought he was every bit the franchise QB that Darnold was and quite frankly still do. But I was trying to justify the Jets selecting Baker Mayfield (I never believed in Josh Allen and still don't. I think he's going to be a bust.), so I said Sam Darnold had the HIGHEST bust factor.......

NOT one of my best days......

11 hours ago, jgb said:

My best call: Knew from day 1 Geno would fail mightily, due to character issues.

My worst call: Several. Favre would win a SB with us. Gholston would be a beast. Rex was a perfect fit and would be a lifetime HC here. 

Yeah. That was my sentiment after about 8 games with both Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

Best Call - 2002  2-5 Jets just lost a devastating game to the Browns - Go Outside Halloween night  all my neighbors giving me grief. I say I am not worried they are coming back. They all laughed and laughed. Well you know the rest.

Worst Call - Visioning Herm and Chad holding a Super Bowl trophy. Complete with Confetti and Slow Motion to boot.

Best Call :   Saw QB  Carson Palmer as a Soph at USC and right there knew he would be a very good NFL QB. ( a few years later saw Mark Sanchez as a Jr. and knew he wouldn't be one. Should have stayed at USC for his senior year) 

Worse Call : Thought Bruce Smith (DE Buffalo Bills) would be a bust. When the Bills drafted him the only tape they showed was him sacking the QB in a bowl game. Great sack except for the fact he was off sides (obvious from the tape) and the play was voided and VT got a 5 yd. penalty.

Best call: after Sam’s first career pass was a pick 6 I posted in the game thread, “the Jets are still winning this game.”

Worst call: halftime in Denver in ‘98 calling all my jets fans friends and talking about beating Atlanta in the super bowl. 

Best call was knowing right away Sanchez was a horrible QB I was furious when the Jets drafted him. 

So many worst calls it's hard to pick one, but I'll go with "Joe Walton will be a really good HC"

EDIT

I'm changing my best call to "PLEASE. PICK DAN MARINO HERE..."

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Best call: predicting that Gholston would bust, right after he was picked. The camera flashed to him in the Green Room after the pick was made, just as Jets fans started loudly booing outside. He looked absolutely terrified. Right then, I knew he didn't have the heart to make it. Ironically, the Jets fans weren't actually booing the Gholston pick - they were booing because the Pats had just gone on the clock.

Worst call: Loads of these. However, I really wanted Darron Lee and thought he was going to be an amazing moveable chess piece in the D. I saw him as a cover LB who could move outside on rush downs and pressure the QB. Didn't quite get that one right.

The Pats didn't pick till the 10th pick in 08 maybe they were booing the Saints who picked next?

Best Call: knew on draft day Hackenberg was a disaster.

Honorable Mention; even if Adams is solid player, taking 2 safeties on a team totally bereft of an offense or any pass rush was ghastly. 

Worst Call: Thought Johnny Manziel was going to be very good.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Pats didn't pick till the 10th pick in 08 maybe they were booing the Saints who picked next?

The Cheats had the #7 but traded down to #10 after they went on the clock.

The suggestion at the time was that they traded down because they wanted Gholston. No idea if that was true or not.

Best Call: Predicted Deandre Hopkins to be a much better pro WR than Sammy Watkins (Both came out of Clemson back to back years)

Also pushed for the jets to NOT re sign fitzpatrick in the 2016 offseason

Worst call: Thought CJ Spiller was going to be the next great thing

And thought Geno Smith was going to be the answer at QB.... 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Best Call: Halftime of Monday Night Miracle a Fins fan calls to taunt me. Told them the Jets were going to come back and win. Arnold Schwartenagger inspired me.

Worst Call: I thought Eric Ainge was going to be the best QB in his draft class. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were taken in the first round.

Our best is the same game... watching it the only chick i ever knew who really dug football..  I didnt say they would win, but i did say the game wasnt over and if the jets scored next ya never know, then they scored...

Worst: I thought Mike Augustiniak was the next Rocky Bleier

Best call:  I knew Geno was going to suck but that wasn't the best call by a long shot--as much as I disliked Geno, at least he could somewhat play.  Hackenberg was the worst pick ever--saw him live a bunch of times and saw him on the tube a lot and HE WAS AWFUL.

Worst Call: I really thought Jeb Putzier was going to be great and was VERY happy we made a play for him and was physically and mentally distraught that the Broncos matched and kept him.  Turned out he wasn't very good.

• Upvote 1

Shocking the number of believers that Hackenburg and Lee had from day one. 

Best?  To be determined I suppose but I wanted Darnold almost from the 1st game I saw him play and stuck with him as by far my number one choice when every one and their dog was dumping on him his last college year.

Worst?  Probably Mahommes who I thought was another red raider style QB with inflated stats.  Larz deserves credit on that one.

Best: I wanted Gase or Greg Williams as our new H.C. and we got them both. Double boner pants!                                                                                                     Worst: apparently I was watching Jon Gruden's QB camp with Christian Hackenberg at the same time as Woody Johnson and Mike Maccagnan. I really thought he had " it" .

48 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Best: I wanted Gase or Greg Williams as our new H.C. and we got them both. Double boner pants!                                                                                                     Worst: apparently I was watching Jon Gruden's QB camp with Christian Hackenberg at the same time as Woody Johnson and Mike Maccagnan. I really thought he had " it" .

Don’t worry, I think we have a QB now who has “it”.

• Upvote 1