Jump to content
johnnysd

Gase haad maybe the best interview answer by HC in very long time yesterday

Recommended Posts

This should be table stakes. Since past coaches never did it though, it’s nice to hear.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Gase is turning out to be the 100% polar opposite of what *media proclaimed* about him. Anytime I see him talk he is funny, personable, a pleasure to listen to, and man does he love football.

I do think his strong personalty rubs some players the wrong way, especially when he is losing like we saw with a few players in Miami. But man you are right, his interviews are great and his prospective on the team and football in general really is fun to watch or listen too. 

Too soon to tell but it's almost like when you leave a bad girlfriend, the next few girls seem so great until things get real. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miami situation is / was toxic from their sick looking spooge uniforms to their lazy underachieving players. I have not heard nor have seen 1 player say anything negative here about Gase, in fact, if you watch TC highlights, there is real good interaction and comradery going on. Hope it continues, even if we lose a few games.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I do think his strong personalty rubs some players the wrong way, especially when he is losing like we saw with a few players in Miami. But man you are right, his interviews are great and his prospective on the team and football in general really is fun to watch or listen too. 

Too soon to tell but it's almost like when you leave a bad girlfriend, the next few girls seem so great until things get real. 

The key is going to be winning. As long as we are winning, his competitive personality won’t rub players the wrong way. We have a lot players like him though. I don’t see a Mo Wilk on our team.  Gase cut the one guy with a bad reputation the second he had a chance. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

Translation: My QBs sucked last year, but now I have a hoss

You don't put Wolfgang Puck in a McDonald's kitchen and expect a 5-star meal to come out.  Gase has much more to work with here.  And, he's made just about every QB he's worked with, both the good and the bad, better!  Jay Cutler, Peyton Manning, Ryan Tannehill ALL had some of their best success under Gase.  To me, that means a lot.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a big fan of Adam Gase press conferences ever since the first one he had here.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All too many of our coaches of said or done the right out of the gates with a fresh start with this team only to crater badly year two and beyond.

He sounds good now but his 'that was how we needed to play' in miami does not wash since their offense sucked.

Anyway in the vast amount of cases the QB makes the coach not the other way around and we have a winner as a QB.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

100% polar opposite of what we all thought about him

speak for yourself. i didnt know wtf to think of hi m.

but i sure as hell was NOT eating that second hand slop about him being toxic and a guy players disliked.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He sounds good now but his 'that was how we needed to play' in miami does not wash since their offense sucked.

Basically he's saying he got the most he could out of a terrible offense.  And that's hard to argue with.  Ryan Tannehill was garbage.

Then again, Tannehill had his best season under Joe Philbin, not Gase.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

'that was how we needed to play' in miami does not wash since their offense sucked.

thus, you play slower so the other team doesnt get the ball back sooner...

see Bills SB loss #1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Gase is turning out to be the 100% polar opposite of what we all thought about him. Anytime I see him talk he is funny, personable, a pleasure to listen to, and man does he love football.

Hammer hits nail.

I thought he was going to be a serious droll intellectual hard ass douche but he's actually sounding like a really good dude, self-deprecating humor and is a great listen talking about football (or just everyday stuff) and it sounds like the players really like him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great coaches realize it should always be about scheme to personnel rather than personnel to scheme. Unfortunately we were saddled with some stone aged, emotionless idiot for the last 4 years. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Basically he's saying he got the most he could out of a terrible offense.  And that's hard to argue with.  Ryan Tannehill was garbage.

Then again, Tannehill had his best season under Joe Philbin, not Gase.  

Gase was brought in specifically to take tannehill to the next level and failed.

As i said in my  other post, the QB makes the coach not the other way around.  Thus all the love of gase being an coaching guru means little to me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Gase is the first smart coach we’ve had since Mangini. What we’ll see over time is whether the guys buy into his system and follow his lead.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Gase is turning out to be the 100% polar opposite of what we all thought about him. Anytime I see him talk he is funny, personable, a pleasure to listen to, and man does he love football.

Not all of us.  Some of us were happy Miami let him go out of left field

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's revisit this midway through the regular season, shall we?

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it sounds good but at the end of the day talk is cheap.  as has been said, just about every new head coach of the jets has done in year one only to falter as their schtick gets old or players get comfy etc.  but at the same time the jets probably have an upper management that truly does want to win as opposed to just putting fannies in the seats.  can't wait for game 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

(cough) not all of us (cough) :P 

But seriously, the noise around Gase was that some players didn't like him and he had friction with ownership about rebuilding.  He was running a slow offense and was in over his head as a HC.

I've always thought this guy had the chops to be a really, really good offensive head coach.  He's confident, not cocky....he's dialed in to quarterbacks like few other guys (those guys probably being Bruce Arians, Andy Reid, maybe Frank Reich and Doug Peterson).  Gase came here because he knew he was essentially trading in a 2007 Honda Accord of an offense for a potential Ferrari with Sam Darnold.  He has a vision, he's an alpha and I think he gets along with Gregg Williams because they're similar in wanting to press the accelerator and dictate the game and its pace to our opponents.

I give a ton of credit to Christopher Johnson.  It would have been very easy to just hire a "resume" guy like Mike McCarthy and check the box with fans and the media.  That was the safe choice.  Instead, CJ withstood the criticism and accepted that many people would laugh at the Jets for hiring "Miami's reject."  Many fans judged the book by its cover, but CJ actually read the book and realized that Adam Gase is a great story.  He was the last coach fired at the end of the season, and there's a reason for that.  Miami didn't want to fire him.  But he and ownership had different visions about rebuilding the team and what the roster should look like.  I think Gase felt stuck and knew that a rebuild and more losing would likely mean him losing his job.  He stood his ground, wouldn't relent and then got fired.  We're the beneficiaries....even if some of us didn't see it that way at the time.

Great post. Absolute spot on. Not surprised. My sentiments exactly 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like most coaches say they build their offense or defense around the players they have but most don’t actually do that. I hope Gase can and does it. We have the potential to put the best offense the Jets have had in my lifetime on the field this year. 

I also believe Gase hasn’t even shown much with his offense this preseason and we are going to see something like that first Rex game vs the Texans when we play the Bills. 

And I am not worried about our CBs week one because Josh Allen is not accurate. Week 2 is a different story. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Gase is turning out to be the 100% polar opposite of what we all thought about him. Anytime I see him talk he is funny, personable, a pleasure to listen to, and man does he love football.

Not to mention the exact polar opposite of our former HC (the statue) .  Very refreshing thus far. Optimistic that we are finally on the right track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Gase is successful just like everyone else and I know this is a message board and we predict and speculate here.  I would advise to be a little cautious in our optimism.  Every coach we've hired most of us were euphoric over.  There were definitely threads just like this one the off season after Bowles took over.  Let's just get some games played and see how it goes.  Hoping for the best.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This should be table stakes. Since past coaches never did it though, it’s nice to hear.

I’m convince Bowles only knew his QBs by the car they drove. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroadwayBen said:

Great coaches realize it should always be about scheme to personnel rather than personnel to scheme. Unfortunately we were saddled with some stone aged, emotionless idiot for the last TEN years. 

Fixed..... but REX did have emotion. BUT both were set in their ways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Gase was brought in specifically to take tannehill to the next level and failed.

As i said in my  other post, the QB makes the coach not the other way around.  Thus all the love of gase being an coaching guru means little to me.

Tannehill wasn't good, his numbers were decent under Philbin but he wasn't good.  In year 1 he started out slow in Gase's O then was playing the best football of his career before he got hurt.  He then missed all of the next season.  Gase did the best job possible under the circumstances.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

(cough) not all of us (cough) :P 

But seriously, the noise around Gase was that some players didn't like him and he had friction with ownership about rebuilding.  He was running a slow offense and was in over his head as a HC.

I've always thought this guy had the chops to be a really, really good offensive head coach.  He's confident, not cocky....he's dialed in to quarterbacks like few other guys (those guys probably being Bruce Arians, Andy Reid, maybe Frank Reich and Doug Peterson).  Gase came here because he knew he was essentially trading in a 2007 Honda Accord of an offense for a potential Ferrari with Sam Darnold.  He has a vision, he's an alpha and I think he gets along with Gregg Williams because they're similar in wanting to press the accelerator and dictate the game and its pace to our opponents.

I give a ton of credit to Christopher Johnson.  It would have been very easy to just hire a "resume" guy like Mike McCarthy and check the box with fans and the media.  That was the safe choice.  Instead, CJ withstood the criticism and accepted that many people would laugh at the Jets for hiring "Miami's reject."  Many fans judged the book by its cover, but CJ actually read the book and realized that Adam Gase is a great story.  He was the last coach fired at the end of the season, and there's a reason for that.  Miami didn't want to fire him.  But he and ownership had different visions about rebuilding the team and what the roster should look like.  I think Gase felt stuck and knew that a rebuild and more losing would likely mean him losing his job.  He stood his ground, wouldn't relent and then got fired.  We're the beneficiaries....even if some of us didn't see it that way at the time.

I have bashed Chris a lot and he deserved it but starting with finally firing Bowles he's done a really good job with the Gase hire then getting Douglas.  It's been a good calendar year for Chris, let's hope it continues.

I was happy with the Gase hire, watching Miami under him it was clear they overachieved his 3 seasons there (and we underachieved the 4 years with Bowles).  I was Disturbed watching his initial press conference but outside of that he's done everything right but the real test begins in 2 weeks.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

All too many of our coaches of said or done the right out of the gates with a fresh start with this team only to crater badly year two and beyond.

He sounds good now but his 'that was how we needed to play' in miami does not wash since their offense sucked.

Anyway in the vast amount of cases the QB makes the coach not the other way around and we have a winner as a QB.

Thanks for the totally negative outlook.

Thank God youre here to point out to all that a HC might not work out.  I never would have guessed on my own, bet others also are in that dark about these things and warn people to not act like fans.

And BTW, when a HC loses his starting QB for 2 of 3 seasons, the offense probably wont set the world on fire, especially with a middle to bottom of the league roster.  At least he managed to make the playoffs.  My contribution.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gase was brought in specifically to take tannehill to the next level and failed.

As i said in my  other post, the QB makes the coach not the other way around.  Thus all the love of gase being an coaching guru means little to me.

ANd when hes out most of two seasons with a knee injury?

And wheres the memo that says he was brought in specifically to take Tannehill to the next level?  I'd bet he was brought in to win and make the playoffs.  

Lighten up, enjoy the team and the season like its meant to be by fans.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Gase is turning out to be the 100% polar opposite of what we all thought about him. Anytime I see him talk he is funny, personable, a pleasure to listen to, and man does he love football.

That is the biggest difference with what we were told. It seemed like everyone said he was a grumpy guy that the players would hate. He seems like he will hold players accountable (hopefully) but the way he engages with the players they seem to love him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's get past two preseason games with the guy. 

Let's see how he handles some adversity. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...