Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Last night in an entire half of football, Baker completed less than half of his passes, over threw receivers that were open (some were wide open), no TD's, and was picked off once and should have been picked on one or two other occasions. Basically¬† he played like ūüí© in a game that was supposed to be a tune up for the regular season. What if that was Sam out there playing this poorly? Would there be concern or would you just blow it off that our trash talking QB just played a meaningless preseason game and there is nothing to worry about.¬†

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerned either way but more concerned if it was Sam. Fact is that Baker has a longer track record of playing well, making a bad game more likely to be just a bad game.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have been INTs are my favorite Jetnation stat.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a Jet fan.  For 50 years, I have seen things fall apart, usually just when you start to feel good about this team or the future.  Damn right I will be worried if Sam plays like sh*t tonight.  I know its just one game, everyone has bad games, but still, yes, I would be worried.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CTM said:

Concerned either way but more concerned if it was Sam. Fact is that Baker has a longer track record of playing well, making a bad game more likely to be just a bad game.

See, this is what I don't get. Baker has a losing record  in the NFL. How is that in any way a measure of playing well?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CTM said:

Concerned either way but more concerned if it was Sam. Fact is that Baker has a longer track record of playing well, making a bad game more likely to be just a bad game.

Longer track record, haha... That may be the dumbest statement yet defending baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

See, this is what I don't get. Baker has a losing record  in the NFL. How is that in any way a measure of playing well?

He went 6-7 with the browns who haven't won 6 games in the past 4 seasons combined. I'd say he is playing pretty well

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

He went 6-7 with the browns who haven't won 6 games in the past 4 seasons combined. I'd say he is playing pretty well

1-6 against teams above 500 record

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

See, this is what I don't get. Baker has a losing record  in the NFL. How is that in any way a measure of playing well?

Baker was a rookie playing for a historically inept team and posted the 12th best DVOA in the league last year. Sam was 30th.

At college Baker put up 3 seasons significantly better than Sam's best year (his first) while Sam regressed and had a very underwhelming second year. 

So yeah, Baker has a much longer track record of completing passes, not turning the ball over, running an offense on schedule  and generally  playing the position at high level.

These are hard facts and you guys who cant accept them are a bit cartoonish.

Sam may one day be a better QB, he certainly flashes elite ability and I can get down with the argument that his ceiling is higher than Bakers. But as of now his floor is much lower and that's why a bad game would be more concerning.

  • Upvote 3
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Longer track record, haha... That may be the dumbest statement yet defending baker

As you are a well established  expert in this area, I'll defer to your judgement 

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CTM said:

As you are a well established  expert in this area, I'll defer to your judgement 

What established track record are you talking about... Delusional

So many baker fan boys sucking his jock

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Last night in an entire half of football, Baker completed less than half of his passes, over threw receivers that were open (some were wide open), no TD's, and was picked off once and should have been picked on one or two other occasions. Basically¬† he played like ūüí© in a game that was supposed to be a tune up for the regular season. What if that was Sam out there playing this poorly? Would there be concern or would you just blow it off that our trash talking QB just played a meaningless preseason game and there is nothing to worry about.¬†

Did you happen to watch that game? No Beckham, no Landry. Mayfield made some absolutely awesome throws that his receivers dropped. I hate his guts and think he a doosh-nozzle, but the fact is he can play football and is going to be a top 5 QB in the NFL, period so get used to is.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

He went 6-7 with the browns who haven't won 6 games in the past 4 seasons combined. I'd say he is playing pretty well

That team was loaded.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CTM said:

Baker was a rookie playing for a historically inept team and posted the 12th best DVOA in the league last year. Sam was 30th.

At college Baker put up 3 seasons significantly better than Sam's best year (his first) while Sam regressed and had a very underwhelming second year. 

So yeah, Baker has a much longer track record of completing passes, not turning the ball over, running an offense on schedule  and generally  playing the position at high level.

These are hard facts and you guys who cant accept them are a bit cartoonish.

Sam may one day be a better QB, he certainly flashes elite ability and I can get down with the arguement that his cieling is higher than Bakers. But as of now his floor is much lower and that's why a bad game would be more concerning.

Anyone who looked at the roster turnover at USC Sam's second season should be able to understand the issues he had to deal with. If Baker dealt with the same thing then yeah, I agree with you but I don't  think Baker went from throwing to Ju Ju Smith to a bunch of new recruits in his sophomore year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Did you happen to watch that game? No Beckham, no Landry. Mayfield made some absolutely awesome throws that his receivers dropped. I hate his guts and think he a doosh-nozzle, but the fact is he can play football and is going to be a top 5 QB in the NFL, period so get used to is.

There was one drop in the end zone and it would have been a great out stretching grab had the WR held on. I didn't  see a bunch of balls bouncing off receivers really. What I did see was Baker over throw the ball and stare down the receiver after the play. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Anyone who looked at the roster turnover at USC Sam's second season should be able to understand the issues he had to deal with. If Baker dealt with the same thing then yeah, I agree with you but I don't  think Baker went from throwing to Ju Ju Smith to a bunch of new recruits in his sophomore year. 

None of that is the point.

Sam had 1 good season at USC, 1 meh season and an overall bad rookie season. He played QB for 1 year in high school

Baker was great for 3 years in college and had a good pro rookie season. He has had as many productive seasons of QB'ing as Darnold has had playing the position.

All I said was Baker has a longer track record of playing the position well, this shouldn't be a controversial statement

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

What established track record are you talking about... Delusional

So many baker fan boys sucking his jock

Very surprised you've distilled your argument down to homophobia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

The grandson of Dick Hammer doesn’t have bad games.

Any word otherwise is blasphemy and will be dealt with accordingly: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CTM said:

Very surprised you've distilled your argument down to homophobia

Has nothing to do with being gay... It has everything to do with the fact that no matter what, everything baker does it is correct... He can do no wrong... Slobbering over him like dog on steak... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Has nothing to do with being gay... It has everything to do with the fact that no matter what, everything baker does it is correct... He can do no wrong... Slobbering over him like dog on steak... 

He’s been a better QB than Sam Darnold(and more than half the league last year) so there is less need to feel concerned over a bad game as opposed to if Sam was the one with the bad game.

thats all the guy was saying.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Last night in an entire half of football, Baker completed less than half of his passes, over threw receivers that were open (some were wide open), no TD's, and was picked off once and should have been picked on one or two other occasions. Basically¬† he played like ūüí© in a game that was supposed to be a tune up for the regular season. What if that was Sam out there playing this poorly? Would there be concern or would you just blow it off that our trash talking QB just played a meaningless preseason game and there is nothing to worry about.¬†

Come on? Did you really need to ask what our reaction would be if it were Sam? You already know the answer to that question. However, even within all the responses of the sky is falling, there would be a few of those level headed responses that go something like, "this is what preseason is for. Have to work out the kinks." Something like that.

Complain about Jet nation responses all you'd like, it isn't about to change. You seem to forget about 50 + years of negative conditioning.

But it's also a silly thread to make. The fact is, Sammy has played marvelously given his very young fledgling career. Who would have thought we would be saying this now just after he threw that pick 6 in last year's opener against the Lions? 

Every REASONABLE Jet fan (and yes that includes Jet nation posters) knows that Sammy will undoubtedly have some more poor performances. It's probably going to get a little worse before it gets better. They'll probably be some rather "over the top" posts that make you think Jet nation will collectively slit their own throats. But make no mistake there isn't a single poster on this site that won't be supportive of Sammy through thick and thin. That support is 100% based on a 20 year old's performance in his rookie season. We liked what we saw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta be honest, it was fun when the Jets were good early under Rex and they were trash talking non stop. But it's nice to be the team that isn't putting the target on their back.

I gotta believe everyone wants to shut Cleveland up this year.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CTM said:

Baker was a rookie playing for a historically inept team and posted the 12th best DVOA in the league last year. Sam was 30th.

At college Baker put up 3 seasons significantly better than Sam's best year (his first) while Sam regressed and had a very underwhelming second year. 

So yeah, Baker has a much longer track record of completing passes, not turning the ball over, running an offense on schedule  and generally  playing the position at high level.

These are hard facts and you guys who cant accept them are a bit cartoonish.

Sam may one day be a better QB, he certainly flashes elite ability and I can get down with the argument that his ceiling is higher than Bakers. But as of now his floor is much lower and that's why a bad game would be more concerning.

Yeah and Sam is better!  :) 

 

Seriously though, I also subscribe to the idea that Baker would not be the right fit here in NY/NJ.  Baker is a very good QB and I think he has the potential to be the first long term solution for the Browns in forever, but Sam is taylor made for the ridiculous NY media and fans.   Everything just rolls off of him and he doesn't give sound bytes for media to grab on to and blow out of proportion. 

Baker has a similar thing to what Rex did. The Brazen act only goes so far and only works when winning. People either love or hate him (I hate him lol), but most will pile on if/when things take a down turn.  The sports media at large will relish in the opportunity to assist and "report" on his down fall if it should happen. I hope it doesn't for his sake, I hope it does for mine. 

No matter the intricate details of who is better from one day to the next, I believe Baker would ultimately fail here and Sam has a much better chance of succeeding here. So as long as Sam doesn't pull a Sanchez we are fortunate that he is the guy we got. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CTM said:

None of that is the point.

Sam had 1 good season at USC, 1 meh season and an overall bad rookie season. He played QB for 1 year in high school

Baker was great for 3 years in college and had a good pro rookie season. He has had as many productive seasons of QB'ing as Darnold has had playing the position.

All I said was Baker has a longer track record of playing the position well, this shouldn't be a controversial statement

I still don't get the notion that Darnold had a bad rookie season. I've been a huge fan of his since college, and he played exactly how I expected him to.

If you compare the numbers to other rookie QB's that have come along, their solid and on par with guys like Luck, and Wentz. I don't remember anyone trashing their rookie seasons. They also had more to work with than Sam, and were significantly older as well. Darnold also had more good outings than bad ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Did you happen to watch that game? No Beckham, no Landry. Mayfield made some absolutely awesome throws that his receivers dropped. I hate his guts and think he a doosh-nozzle, but the fact is he can play football and is going to be a top 5 QB in the NFL, period so get used to is.

What does this mean? 

LRLL RLRR
LRLRLL RLRLRR
LRLRLRLL RLRLRLRR

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's play what if the whole world farted at once?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posting in another "Baker Mayfield Sucks - Sam Darnold Inferiority Complex" Thread.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I gotta be honest, it was fun when the Jets were good early under Rex and they were trash talking non stop. But it's nice to be the team that isn't putting the target on their back.

I gotta believe everyone wants to shut Cleveland up this year.

Agreed. If Rex would have just gotten past the Colts or Steelers he would have been immortalized as the best Jets coach ever.  What he did worked until they consciously destroyed the team.  That's the problem with Rex's overconfidence and brazen act. I loved him when he came here and I loved the first two seasons. Some of the most fun I've ever had as a Jets fan, but the 2010 offseason for the 2011 season was just the worst and It all ended then sadly. 

I'm rooting for Kitchens to fail miserably and watch that team implode. Outside of Jets success and the Pats demise, very little would make me happier.  I'm just that kinda dicky football fan. I've become almost more of a fan to root against teams than I have to root for them. Sad.  lol 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I still don't get the notion that Darnold had a bad rookie season. I've been a huge fan of his since college, and he played exactly how I expected him to.

If you compare the numbers to other rookie QB's that have come along, their solid and on par with guys like Luck, and Wentz. I don't remember anyone trashing their rookie seasons. They also had more to work with than Sam, and were significantly older as well. Darnold also had more good outings than bad ones. 

Bad phrasing. He was fine for a rookie and probably better than I expected.

He was bad compared to his peers, including non rookies.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Has nothing to do with being gay... It has everything to do with the fact that no matter what, everything baker does it is correct... He can do no wrong... Slobbering over him like dog on steak... 

Baker is a douche that I hope goes down in flames, Sam is actually likable and easy to root for. 

Unfortunately who I like better doesn't change the fact that one has played the position better for longer than the other

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s been a better QB than Sam Darnold(and more than half the league last year) so there is less need to feel concerned over a bad game as opposed to if Sam was the one with the bad game.

thats all the guy was saying.

He said long resume... 13 games in the NFL of which he lost more then half of them is not a long resume. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...