Baker is a bust

docdhc

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Compared to Kirk Cousins he was all world.

Although admittedly, if Darnold plays like that tonight, this place might crash.

Exactly what I was thinking. Polite was called a bust after position drills in camp. Darnold going 10-26 would trigger a suicide watch!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I watched the game!

Baker Mayfield had a subpar game but overall he is simply outstanding!

First he gets rid of the ball as fast as anyone in the NFL!

Second he is EXTREMELY accurate!

Third Baker makes OUTSTANDING decisions on top of his accuracy.

Fourth he is mobile and extremely elusive!

And finally he has made the Browns a better team across the Board!

A BUST!!!!! :( 

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I watched the game!

CB, you know I respect you but wow.

Of course it's just idiotic to bring out the bust label, but just to plant a little seed here...RGIII had a better rookie season than Baker.  Quite a bit better actually.  Not just including the rushing but even just the passing.  He played 13 games in season 2 before he got injured and was nowhere near the same passer.  

Not saying it will happen to Baker, but it's entirely possible he is anywhere from great to average this season.  Nothing is really certain in this league.  Not even Baker Mayfield.  The guy I'm really curious about this year is Mahomes.  I'm actually excited to watch him play and see if he can repeat even most of what he did last year.  

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Mayfield is going to be a really good NFL QB for a while and that's OK. I don't get why Jets fans have such a hard-on for him.

Most likely, and I'm good with it too.  Certainly if any team deserves a little taste of success, it's the Browns.  But Baker, by being the cartoon figure that he seems to enjoy being, is creating a situation where many people will take delight in his downfall.  Not judging, but people are gonna be who they are and seeing karma smack down arrogant people is one of life's great joys.

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

CB, you know I respect you but wow.

Of course it's just idiotic to bring out the bust label, but just to plant a little seed here...RGIII had a better rookie season than Baker.  Quite a bit better actually.  Not just including the rushing but even just the passing.  He played 13 games in season 2 before he got injured and was nowhere near the same passer.  

Not saying it will happen to Baker, but it's entirely possible he is anywhere from great to average this season.  Nothing is really certain in this league.  Not even Baker Mayfield.  The guy I'm really curious about this year is Mahomes.  I'm actually excited to watch him play and see if he can repeat even most of what he did last year.  

Hmmmmm post was only addressing a preseason game and then calling Baker Mayfield a bust.

Let's face it no one knows if Mayfield is going to be GREAT going forward, but if we are honest we can say that he has excellent skills from which to begin.

Also I was a Mahomes guy, wanted him drafted and was SHOCKED when we not only didn't draft him but got no QB in that draft (think Watson).

IMO Utter Insanity...

But even with my wish to draft Mahomes and his break out season, even I am not willing to put Mahomes in Canton just yet!

That is why I love the Game, you just never know

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm post was only addressing a preseason game and then calling Baker Mayfield a bust.

Let's face it no one knows if Mayfield is going to be GREAT going forward, but if we are honest we can say that he has excellent skills from which to begin.

Also I was a Mahomes guy, wanted him drafted and was SHOCKED when we not only didn't draft him but got no QB in that draft (think Watson).

IMO Utter Insanity...

But even with my wish to draft Mahomes and his break out season, even I am not willing to put Mahomes in Canton just yet!

That is why I love the Game, you just never know

Mahomes got better every year in college and then, remarkably, got better again last season.  I wasn't sure about him in the 2017 draft but wouldn't have been upset if we took a stab.  Unbelievably, I think Macc was still hopeful that Hack would develop and that may have been part of why we passed.  Talk about making your head explode...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Mahomes got better every year in college and then, remarkably, got better again last season.  I wasn't sure about him in the 2017 draft but wouldn't have been upset if we took a stab.  Unbelievably, I think Macc was still hopeful that Hack would develop and that may have been part of why we passed.  Talk about making your head explode...

Reid is a big reason Mahomes had such a monster year.  I don’t think he pans out here

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mayfield is going to be a really good NFL QB for a while and that's OK. I don't get why Jets fans have such a hard-on for him.

The way I understand it, the legend goes something like this....There's a small but ravenous group of fans who, over a period of months, had convinced themselves that Sam Darnold was going to be taken 1st and started to view Baker Mayfield as a consolation prize.  As they watched endless hours of Baker game film, looked the other way when he grabbed his crotch or was tackled by police, and took on anyone who suggested that Baker might be either too short or too much of a hothead to succeed as a New York quarterback....they whipped themselves into a frenzy.  It was like Stockholm Syndrome....they began to actually WANT to lose out on the best QB in order to get the consolation prize.  They had fallen for the bridesmaid instead of the bride and had hitched themselves so tightly to the Baker Wagon that when the Draft didn't go that way they couldn't get themselves off the wagon.  They have now sadly come to resent Sam Darnold.  To them, Baker is the one that got away....even if he wasn't the one they originally wanted in the first place.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I watched the game!

I miss the Charlie Brown and Snoopy association with the  MetLife company.