Sign in to follow this  
Dcronin

Hey Jets - find a new cornerback or three

We won't a game with this leaky secondary unless Sam Darnold is Tom Brady this year.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Butt Fumble 2

On 8/24/2019 at 8:30 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

I think it's the scheme

lol.  Already blaming our new DC I see.  

On 8/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Dcronin said:

We won't a game with this leaky secondary unless Sam Darnold is Tom Brady this year.

I remember when I had my first beer.

• Upvote 1

Just a reminder they traded 3 second round picks for Darnold. which is great and all but that's where the starting CBs come from. 

meanwhile this franchise passes Christian Hackenberg off as a 2nd round pick and this bum Polite who went 3 rounds early... thats why the roster still stinks. Other teams actually hit on more than one draft pick per year 

People need to realize that by Gase's and Williams own words that what they are doing in preseason is putting their CBs on islands intentionally to gage what they can do. The DL is being asked to beat their man or men without stunting and twisting. It is below vanilla. The regular season defense, especially the secondary will not be as bad as it looks now. Not saying it will be elite but should be good enough to win games.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Just a reminder they traded 3 second round picks for Darnold. which is great and all but that's where the starting CBs come from. 

meanwhile this franchise passes Christian Hackenberg off as a 2nd round pick and this bum Polite who went 3 rounds early... thats why the roster still stinks. Other teams actually hit on more than one draft pick per year 

Teams usually give up way more when trading up for a franchise quarterback. I think both teams at the time won in that deal. I am sure if the colts would go back they would considering the Andrew Luck news but that was just bad timing. 

All of that happened under Mac’s watch. Will be different under JD

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

a lot of cbs were drafted in the first half of round 2 this year.  but there's a reason the jets keep picking top 6, bad drafting and no qb.

On 8/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Dcronin said:

I don't think it will be as bad when Tru comes back and the starters will be able to stay on the field for a full game. Clearly CB is the weakest position for the Jets right now. Clearly the depth is bad and some of the younger guys that some expected to take the next step forward have not done so (Nickerson, Jones- who was cut, come to mind). But you look around the league and Tru, Roberts and Poole are not the absolute worst trio to have as your top 3. Just look at the starting CBs for teams like the Raiders, Niners, Panthers, Saints, Lions. All of these teams have no depth and are probably worse off that the Jets when it comes to their top 3.  

So I think we need to chill out with the 'we won't win a game with this secondary' talk, step back and take a look at the bigger picture. The secondary will be considerably better when Tru comes back and we settle in on a set roster. CB will be the weakness of the team but the team has other strengths. All teams, even some of the best have weaknesses. The Jets have great safeties, which always helps. And I'm much more confident in Gregg Williams than I ever was in Todd Bowles to mask some of the deficiencies in the secondary.      

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

st trio to have as your top 3. Just look at the starting CBs for teams like the Raiders, Niners, Panthers, Saints, Lions. All of these teams have no depth and are probably worse off that the Jets when it comes to their top 3. 

Really hoping for this threads sake that raiderholic doesn’t see this 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rsherman28 said:

Teams usually give up way more when trading up for a franchise quarterback. I think both teams at the time won in that deal.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

a lot of cbs were drafted in the first half of round 2 this year.  but there's a reason the jets keep picking top 6, bad drafting and no qb.

agree with both of these comments not saying they should regret the Darnold trade just there are reasons why the roster is barren and it's not just because they are generally cheap. They haven't hit on draft picks in a while 

Luckily Mac acquired a couple good pass rushing OLBs to help our crappy secondary oh wait

• Haha 1

NFL rumors: Here are the veterans most likely to be cut this weekend | Who will be biggest name released?

Today 6:02 AM

Washington CB Josh Norman

Salary cap space created with cut: $11.3 million

Dead money implications: $3 million

Analysis: His lucrative contract runs through 2020, but Washington might be ready to part ways with him now. Washington would have to take on a $3 million dead money cap hit in 2019 and 2020, but would also save a significant amount against the cap both years. Norman would have a $14.3 million cap hit if he sticks in 2019. Remember, teams can roll over cap space from 2019 to 2020. That might be a good move for Washington, as it rebuilds.

Jaguars CB A.J. Bouye

Salary cap space created with cut: $13.406 million

Dead money implications: $2 million

Analysis: His contract runs through 2021, and cutting him now would result in the Jaguars taking on a $2 million dead money hit in each of the next three years. But that might be preferable for them to his massive cap hit in 2019 — $15.406 million.

• Like 1

Jets Sign S Santos Ramirez, Waive CB Dee Delaney

IMG_6717-greenberg-head

Ethan Greenberg

TEAM REPORTER

E_sz4_0564-ramirez-thumb_edited-1

The Jets have signed S Santos Ramirez and waived cornerback Dee Delaney.

Ramirez originally signed with the Jets in May as a rookie undrafted free agent before he was waived Aug. 20. The 6’2”, 204-pounder played in 45 games in four seasons for Arkansas and recorded 214 tackles, three interceptions and four forced fumbles. He was one of only three FBS players in 2017 to record at least 60 tackles, one interception, eight pass defenses and three forced fumbles. In two preseason contests, Ramirez totaled six tackles.

Delaney joined the Jets in July after he signed a reserve/future deal with the Dolphins in January. The 5’11”, 200-pounder played two games with the Jaguars in 2018 before he was waived and subsequently claimed by the ‘Fins.

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

I don't think it will be as bad when Tru comes back and the starters will be able to stay on the field for a full game. Clearly CB is the weakest position for the Jets right now. Clearly the depth is bad and some of the younger guys that some expected to take the next step forward have not done so (Nickerson, Jones- who was cut, come to mind). But you look around the league and Tru, Roberts and Poole are not the absolute worst trio to have as your top 3. Just look at the starting CBs for teams like the Raiders, Niners, Panthers, Saints, Lions. All of these teams have no depth and are probably worse off that the Jets when it comes to their top 3.  

So I think we need to chill out with the 'we won't win a game with this secondary' talk, step back and take a look at the bigger picture. The secondary will be considerably better when Tru comes back and we settle in on a set roster. CB will be the weakness of the team but the team has other strengths. All teams, even some of the best have weaknesses. The Jets have great safeties, which always helps. And I'm much more confident in Gregg Williams than I ever was in Todd Bowles to mask some of the deficiencies in the secondary.      

Raiders have no cb depth but the Jets jumped on the first cb they cut.    Raiders have their cb’s and are deep. 1. gConley 2.a  Worley 2b Trayvon Mullen ( pushing for starting cb job 4. NCb - Lamarcus Joyner- might one of the best Fa signing . 5. I Johnson ( going to Ir with facial injury- very talented cb who they are hiding on Ir for a year. 5. K Nixon - UDFA from South Carolina  has been very impressive . ( he won  job)  Nick Nelson - struggled in preseason but his strength not man to man yet.  He excels in

various other coverages Paul Guenther employs. ( no guarantee he’s making the roster).  Nelson very reliable tackler, and has very good instincts- Jmo probably should be a safety.  N Lawson was Detroit lions number 2 cb last year . he’s suspended for the first four weeks.   Will make determination after his suspension up.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders have no cb depth but the Jets jumped on the first cb they cut.    Raiders have their cb’s and are deep. 1. gConley 2.a  Worley 2b Trayvon Mullen ( pushing for starting cb job 4. NCb - Lamarcus Joyner- might one of the best Fa signing . 5. I Johnson ( going to Ir with facial injury- very talented cb who they are hiding on Ir for a year. 5. K Nixon - UDFA from South Carolina  has been very impressive . ( he won  job)  Nick Nelson - struggled in preseason but his strength not man to man yet.  He excels in

various other coverages Paul Guenther employs. ( no guarantee he’s making the roster).  Nelson very reliable tackler, and has very good instincts- Jmo probably should be a safety.  N Lawson was Detroit lions number 2 cb last year . he’s suspended for the first four weeks.   Will make determination after his suspension up.  

YOu rock 50201!

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders have their cb’s and are deep.

Nelson very reliable tackler, and has very good instincts- Jmo probably should be a safety.

Swing a trade, Macc!