Andrew luck retires

NYallDay

https://nypost.com/2019/08/26/wesley-walker-is-painful-proof-andrew-luck-made-the-right-decision/

SPORTS

Wesley Walker is painful proof Andrew Luck made the right decision

Wesley Walker cried when he watched Andrew Luck talk about giving up the game he loved so much — the game they all love so much until the game stops loving their bodies and minds later in life, sometimes with a vengeance.

“I was crying myself, because I know what that feels like when you can’t play at your level that you once were, and not enjoying yourself,” the former Jets receiver told The Post.

“Heaven forbid if he kept going and he’s gonna feel a lot worse down the road, maybe he’s circumventing that right now.

“Knowing what I know, the way I feel, I don’t want to feel like this, but it’s too late.

“Most players would tell you they’ll do it over again. I’m not one of them.”

Walker used to fly past defensive backs like few could and today he is hunched over with no feeling in his feet, unable to jog or run or sleep without Vicodin and/or Ambien. His is one of the many cautionary tales of the NFL player who couldn’t or wouldn’t pay heed to the consequences down the road, the way Luck did when he walked away from football in a manner that Walker no longer can.

“I just don’t know what’s happened to my body. I’m a shell of myself,” Walker said.

It all began with a training camp blow from cornerback Jerry Holmes in 1986 that left Walker with a serious neck injury.

“They said I would probably have to retire if it ever happened again,” Walker said. “I went like paralyzed, where I couldn’t even move, and I had this residual tingling in my hands on my arms, knees, legs. It was just weird, I never felt anything like that.”

Walker eventually signed an injury waiver to continue playing.

“I had a [neck] fusion of C4 through 7, a cage and a plate put in there, 14 screws there,” Walker said.

Sleeping was a major problem.

“I would only get three hours sleep with an Ambien,” Walker said.

Three years later, Walker was the one who delivered the hit.

“And I had the same thing happen, I’m walking off the field in slow motion, everybody’s high-fiving me on this block,” Walker said. “Meanwhile, I couldn’t even feel myself and it’s like I’m in a dream, and like this is weird.”

He was placed on injured reserve. Browns head coach Bud Carson called Walker expressing interest in him playing.

“I wasn’t sure if I wanted to retire,” he said, “and that’s how STUPID I am.”

Except the game was an addiction for him.

“I don’t think I even looked at the fact that I was really messing my body up, I just tried to get back on the field and do what I do,” Walker said.

He had back fusion surgery in 2014.

“With two big rods and 10 screws put in there,” Walker said.

He has had right shoulder reconstruction and rotator cuff surgery on his other shoulder. He tore his Achilles after simply jumping up in the air. His knees ache every day and has difficulty negotiating the stairs up and down in his Dix Hills home. He can’t feel the temperature on his right hand.

“My body physically just hurts every day,” Walker said.

Walker, 64, is asked if he regrets not retiring after suffering his neck injury.

“I regret the way I feel right now because it’s not just the Jerry Holmes hit,” Walker said. “It’s probably that you don’t know when you should retire. That’s the regret.

“I didn’t know what was going to happen. … I have a regret not knowing that, but I don’t know how anybody can know that.”

Virtually all of them will acknowledge that they knew the risks and signed up anyway.

Former Giants great Justin Tuck considered retirement on several occasions.

“I thought about retiring every year from Year 6 until the day I did retire,” Tuck, who spent 11 seasons in the NFL, told The Post.

There is more to an NFL career than fame and fortune. Tuck, an All-Pro family man and businessman, understands why Luck retired.

“He’s just doing what’s best for his life,” he said.

Tuck, 36, does not regret not retiring earlier only because he felt he had more to give. But massage and acupuncture every week is mandatory.

“I can’t throw the football as far as I’d like to throw,” Tuck said.

Giants Hall of Famer Harry Carson, 65, endured 15 concussions during his 13-year career and post-concussion syndrome that led him to pondering suicide in 1990.

“I didn’t know I had that until I was out of it for two years,” Carson told The Post.

Regrets not retiring earlier?

“If I had known what I was putting myself through at that time, if I had full knowledge of it, yeah, I probably would have left earlier,” Carson said, “but I didn’t know. None of us knew.”

Everyone is concerned now about the horrors of CTE and Carson would discourage his grandson from playing football. He understands fully Luck not wanting to push his luck.

“I was shocked when I heard that [Luck] was retiring, but then I could totally understand where he was coming from, and I empathize with him because he doesn’t want to leave football, he loves football. … But you can’t keep pushing yourself when you’re hurt, you’re in a lot of pain. You’re either dealing with the pain now or dealing with the pain later, either way you’re gonna have a whole bunch of pain that you’re gonna be sort of dealing with,” Carson said.

21 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

They get paid well to be disposable meat.  Who cares what condition they are in when the career is through?  They lucky they don't get shipped to the Amish, like broke down race horses.

This is straight up evil.  You should be ashamed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

They get paid well to be disposable meat.  Who cares what condition they are in when the career is through?  They lucky they don't get shipped to the Amish, like broke down race horses.

Really? Yikes. I’m gonna give you some time to think that one through a bit. Pretty horrible thing to say, even if you are kidding, but I get the feeling you are not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Really? Yikes. I’m gonna give you some time to think that one through a bit. Pretty horrible thing to say, even if you are kidding, but I get the feeling you are not. 

This is a previously banned poster, I can feel it. 

He’s bopping from thread to thread dropping little troll bombs. 

Oh yeah, we’re not allowed to get excited about Sam just yet, it’s been only 1 year. 

But Sanchez, he had POTENTIAL!

I think it’s the dude from yesterday trying a different tact to get a rise. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CTM said:

So the fact that his first regular season game was a loss vs the Bears and his last game was a preseason loss to the Bears is proof of conspiracy because it cant happen naturally?

First off, to get to this coincidence you used different criteria. His first 5 was a preseason win against STL, yet you ignored preseason here to focus on regular season. When picking his last game, you include

But more interestingly, let's say you are right. Why? Why would the league  bother engineering this coincidence. To what end?

If it happened vs the Rams, your excuse would have been it's  not the same  team, stl/LA.  Fine ignore the Chicago  reference. You'll still also make excuses  for being given 24.8 million ,retiring on 8.24? Chicago/824, That's  two things lining up at the same time. No ones' life is that perfect. No one's  life is that coincidental, that often. There is no such  thing as coincidence. 

Why are they?  You need all the ramifications/possibilities controlling the future explained to you?  This has nothing to do with football.

• Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Will say Lucks snowboarding injury got completely swept under the rug. Surprised the Colts are letting him walk with the 25 million. 

I was wondering if anyone else thought it was very strange that they are letting him walk with owing $25M.  Something going on and I doubt it is Irsay falling on the sword for the beatings luck took.

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I was wondering if anyone else thought it was very strange that they are letting him walk with owing $25M.  Something going on and I doubt it is Irsay falling on the sword for the beatings luck took.

Maybe not falling on his sword but hoping he changes his mind?

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Maybe not falling on his sword but hoping he changes his mind?

I don't know... That is a ton of money and it will be talked about more once the shock of him retiring wears off.  They retain his rights either way.  Totally unprecedented. 

1 hour ago, Hackenberg said:

If it happened vs the Rams, your excuse would have been it's  not the same  team, stl/LA.  Fine ignore the Chicago  reference. You'll still also make excuses  for being given 24.8 million ,retiring on 8.24? Chicago/824, That's  two things lining up at the same time. No ones' life is that perfect. No one's  life is that coincidental, that often. There is no such  thing as coincidence. 

Why are they?  You need all the ramifications/possibilities controlling the future explained to you?  This has nothing to do with football.

Oh well I didnt know about the 24.8 and 8/24 thing. That changes everything.

3 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

4235B1E2-7092-4050-94D7-06AA0AB08ED7.gif.c75e07c7b154acdef384489793d427a0.gif

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I typed it tomorrow but sent it back through a wormhole. 

True story. 

You see, this is exactly  why I'm a better researcher , with superior  comprehensive ability. I look into things and ask questions. While you assume, take what youre fed and f around.  :)

On the bright side,   Jets equals 54 in gematria. That might at least  mean a wildcard spot

30 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

You see, this is exactly  why I'm a better researcher , with superior  comprehensive ability. I look into things and ask questions. While you assume, take what youre fed and f around.  :)

On the bright side,   Jets equals 54 in gematria. That might at least  mean a wildcard spot

dasani GIF

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, MCGAHEE2121 said:

What else is the fo gonna say... The organization was already shunned by elway and failed with two other golden child qbs.

If you dont think they have foresight with lawrence coming ....

Again youre a two dimensional thinking child

Im gunna bump this real quick. You see the new report that Luck wanted to retire earlier in the offseason but Irsay wouldn't let him? Kinda ruins your whole argument.