NYallDay

Andrew luck retires

Hey I think this is just sad for everyone involved. I actually think Luck is being honest and he's tired of coming to work every day injured and just rehabbing. It's got to be frustrating having all that weight on your shoulders and your not 100% and he has been hurt pretty much for the last 4 years right? It's also got to suck for the fans as we went through it with Pennington although not as bad. Sadly I do think he will try to make some kind of come back in a few years....sadly.

Pennington and Luck should never be mentioned in the same breath.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh look,[mention=31992]Hackenberg[/mention] trying his best to derail another thread with his “nothing is real” shtick.

Just stop. You do this every single thread.

Prove a real injury or stop  complaining. 

• Downvote 5
  • Butt Fumble 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

They will suck their way into Trevor Lawrence in two years.

Theres already a trevor lawrence clone in the division. Its not darnold btw....

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

The colts never took care of him and he suffered the injuries for it. He is probably injured still and not feeling like he should put up with it. 

Sucks for the fans and other players but it's not like if the team wanted to cut him they would give him months of notice. 

Except the colts did stick by luck after his shoulder blew up before the best qb class ( 18) since 83/ 04...

Its a total hozing by luck and irresponsible. 

This isnt McDonald's

• Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 3

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fully agreed.  He owes them nothing.  If their GM prioritized protecting him then maybe he would've been around a lot longer. 

As others have said, let that be a lesson to GMs around the league.  From what I've read about Joe Douglas, he doesn't need that lesson.  Macc, on the other hand, ignored OL for pretty much his entire tenure (at least it felt that way to me).

Yep. If Mac stayed on another yr or 2 same exact thing likely happens to darnold. It can take years to reBuild an Oline. Mac did not cement one piece for long term.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

The price of neglecting the OL. So happy Macc is gone.

• Like 3

What Andrew Luck does owe is a detailed explanation. The fans have committed to him financially and emotionally. Some of the things Id want to know:

- how bad is the ankle pain. Could you play in a game tomorrow?

- when did you hurt the ankle?

- is your love of the game as high as it’s ever been?

- why not go on IR and see how your body/mind feels in a year? 

- what percent chance is there that you come back? 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 2

Sad day for the NFL.  He was a generational talent that just couldn't quite get there due to rank mismanagement and injuries. 

The NFL *does* have an injury problem.  It's been pushed under the table for decades, but the world is changing and social media is exposing the pretty seedy underbelly of the league.  When you watch Hard knocks and you have players happily casting up their broken limbs to play in a meaningless preseason game, you are instantly aware of what type of unspoken pressure must be on all of these players and what the long term effects of that sort of daily neglect can have.

Yea, we were all told to be tough and unbreakable but there's something pretty insane about watching broken down ex football players who can barely get out of bed at the young age of 40.  It's all just covered up and paid off with money, and a flashy corporate media but football is probably the worst of all sports in terms of long term injuries and people are beginning to keep their kids away.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

had news conference on NFLN - looked real - said it was too much of a toll on his life to be on constant rehab - could not live that way

played 86 of 112 possible games - made $97m so over a million per game played but lifetime of injuries 

https://overthecap.com/player/andrew-luck/538/

Switches right over to a college analyst & boom, great life, more money, healthier body, he's WINNING.

Too bad the news broke during the game. 

Who could have done that?

1B62DF30-F662-421D-8C11-137BC5E4AA0E.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Grandy said:

I have nothing but respect for Luck.

Class act who carried teams that had no business picking out of the top 10. HOF talent that sadly was cut short due to ineptitude by the FO.

He was my favorite QB in the NFL and wish him the absolute best in retirement.

Why the FO?  The kid is injury prone, was a warrior no doubt and I get that Irsay is a bit , well, shall we say, Johnson like, but did they do something to the kid wrong?  I see it it as it simply sucks for the guy.

5 hours ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

The colts stood by him thru rehab....  I would never want to shake hands with u on business

Imbecilic response.  That franchise was negligent in the first place, failing to build a somewhat competent offensive line in front of him.  He had enough.

You saw Sam get knocked around last night, but at least the Jets, from ownership, to the coaching staff, are trying to build around the kid.  The Colts failed Luck, and continued to do so his entire time with that organization,

He owes them nothing, that’s the business these players are in, not our business world.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Wasn’t the shoulder injury on a motorcycle?

The kidney injury was a scramble downfield 

this is basically the fear with Rosen, he’s too smart for football and once he has $50 million he’s out 

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The AFC is loaded with great young QBs.  Life was going to be tough for Darnold and the Jets just getting out of the AFC in the next 5 years with Watson, Luck, Mahomes, Mayfield, etc.  Sad to see Luck go out this way....super talented.

Sam Darnold ends his career 1-0 vs. Andrew Luck.

I figured it would take 2-3 years for the younger bucks to catch up while Luck dominated 

Now it’s a tossup between them all  rather than a surer pick. (LOL like picking a SB winner in Week -1 even means anything. I usually pick the Chargers and they ALWAYS disappoint) 

• Upvote 1

When did Jacoby Brissett become a starting QB? The comments from the sports press trying to soften the blow of Luck's retirement is laughable. The Colts just went from contenders to vulnerable. The difference between Luck and Brissett, to borrow from Twain, is like the difference between a lightning bolt and a firefly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I strongly disagree.  I don’t think he owes that organization one damn thing.  

He’s walking out battered and injured, with aches and pains for life.  He had a stud offensive line at Stanford, he was barely touched, and he was not soft.  He had several plays in his college career where he laid out defenders, including one of our safeties.

The Colts fans boo’d him tonight.  

Ingrates.  

He has a degree in Architectural Design.  From Stanford, who are the losers?

Incidentally “architectural design” is a totally bogus meaningless degree, whoever grants it 

47 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Dearest Mother,

I have informed the General of my resignation.  I will be returning back to our plantation to help with the chores.  My battle wounds have taken their toll, but I know that the best place for me now is with the ones I love.  My passion for the battlefield has waned. 

Deepest Regards,

Colonel Andrew Luck

Indiana Brigade

Sneak peek at Luck's press release

🤣

He inspired the best internet meme of all time 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Larz said:

Wasn’t the shoulder injury on a motorcycle?

Not unless he was riding a motorcycle downfield. I believe it was behind a porous Oline. 

Just now, Xtina said:

Not unless he was riding a motorcycle downfield. I believe it was behind a porous Oline. 

Turns out he was snowboarding behind that line 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I’ve quit jobs for less. Just because people like to watch NFL players do their jobs doesn’t make them slaves.

They forget theyre people.  With lives.  Some even care about their physical and mental wellness moving forward.  I think Luck addressed that in his presser.  He's been in pain and rehabbing for over 4 years, I can see it.  Fans see the them as being on the field for their amusement, how dare he leave.  Because we all know that its just a game, there is no downside, who would quit when fans arent done with them?  They have to leave the game like so many, broken down 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Xtina said:

He inspired the best internet meme of all time 

Inspired by many of Lucks tweets and the Civil War character he plays

Hes tweeted as this character for years 

• Upvote 1

Except the colts did stick by luck after his shoulder blew up before the best qb class ( 18) since 83/ 04...

This isnt McDonald's

1.  Why wouldnt they stand by him?  He was injured playing for their team because of their neglect.

2.  They have no choice, its part of the CBA, they have to pay for his rehab and "stick by him"

3.  Pain, health and life after football, what a selfish POS.

4.  Worry about Josh Allen, he looks like shlt, still making rookie mistakes 

Theres already a trevor lawrence clone in the division. Its not darnold btw....

You mean a Geno Smith clone.   Someone whos has a strong arm and a 10 cent head.  

Ugh, whats his name....Josh something....Allen, thats it.  

6 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Prove a real injury or stop  complaining. 

Prove that he isnt injured fool.  Instead of flapping you lips like a nitwit 

Youre the one making accusations, calling Luck and everyone around him liars. 

8 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Your small market reference. 

ND and Nike make up for that in their respective areas. 

Blazers Luck will be a Bill Walton type story. He'll be back.

I'e only been in Oregon  since 2015. 8m from So. Cal.. Salem is full of fat white people lol

Nobody cares about ND outside of South Bend.  There are more ND fans in Jersey than in Indiana.

45 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

When did Jacoby Brissett become a starting QB? The comments from the sports press trying to soften the blow of Luck's retirement is laughable. The Colts just went from contenders to vulnerable. The difference between Luck and Brissett, to borrow from Twain, is like the difference between a lightning rod and a firefly. 

Vegas knows....they went from -135 to win the division to +210

From 15-1 to win the SuperBowl to 30-1.

I wouldn't touch either of those numbers.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

This isnt McDonald's

The way I see it, the NFL is ultimately just a job.  Luck is allowed to walk away at any time (and obviously not collect the rest of his contract).  It stinks for the fans but these same fans aren't going to give a crap about him later in life when he's a physical wreck.  Even the NFL tried to turn their back on players from the past who had CTE until it was too much of a PR nightmare to ignore.  Read some of the 2 stories below and then tell me that Andrew Luck "owes" NFL fans to the point where he should be living the kind of lives Mike Webster and Jim McMahon did and do, respectively.

Mike Webster (great 5 part series but this is part 4):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1972288

Jim McMahon:

https://www.espn.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/11098983/ex-chicago-bears-qb-jim-mcmahon-talks-struggles-depression-early-dementia

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m still in shock over this. Imagine how Colts fans feel this morning. As much as I hate to see him retire, this does help the Jets when it comes to the wildcard spots in the AFC. Colts were definitely going to either win the division or have a shot at one of the wildcard spots.