Andrew luck retires

NYallDay

47 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Good for Luck, hes under 30, has a pretty wife. And wont have to worry about anything for the rest of his life with all that money hes made. 

Screw the Colts. Many NFL execs and players have said this is a cut throat business. And it is. It also works both ways. He owes them nothing. 

His teammates. Its a bummer for them. But they'll still get paid.

The fans. Life sucks. Its just a game. Its entertainment. Luck chose not to get beat up for anyones entertainment anymore.  I can understand that.

I wouldn't be shocked if this starts happening more. When players leave the game with good health and money on their own terms instead of the game throwing them out. 

Megatron too. Maximize and leverage everything you have and retire at 30. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't Barry Sanders retire early?  And Megatron?  And a defensive player from the 49ers?  I think this has been a trend for a while now.  I do agree that it will start happening more though.  It's interesting how the rules have changed to make things a little better for the players (at least the QB) yet Luck still got hurt badly enough to retire so young.  Probably players are just bigger and more athletic than they were a couple of decades ago.

Or players make so much money now they are rich enough to retire early..:cheers:

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Between his to the Rams rant and the doom and gloomers who predicted he'll sign with the Pats, dont know which is worse given the Colts have to be compensated and they're letting him walk for free.  This isnt Favre at the end and a better, younger version already in place

Rodgers aint better than Farve lets start with that

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't Barry Sanders retire early?  And Megatron?  And a defensive player from the 49ers?  I think this has been a trend for a while now.  I do agree that it will start happening more though.  It's interesting how the rules have changed to make things a little better for the players (at least the QB) yet Luck still got hurt badly enough to retire so young.  Probably players are just bigger and more athletic than they were a couple of decades ago.

Gronk also

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Because the fans who have purchased season tickets under the assumption that Luck was going to be the QB for the next decade have been absolutely duped. Yes, football is like any other business- and the fans are the customers. Andrew Luck is an employee of the Colts and right now he is absolutely ******* the fans. Would you be cool if you bought non refundable concert tickets for $5,000 and the headliner decided to not do the tour because it was too hard? 

I don't agree with you, 100%, but there is a part of me that does get the point you're trying to make.  Outside of a "Colt fan's world" It's very easy to look at this story differently then from a fan of the team. It's very easy to look at it as Luck "not owing anyone" from afar, since it doesn't affect "our world".

When something like this affects your team, you're going to look at it differently. Just think back to the Belichek HC of the NYJ episode. Jet fans were furious with him for what he did. Fans around the league probably looked at it as a guy looking out for his career. He didn't feel right about a situation he was about to enter into, had second thoughts, and left. Most fans probably felt he was within his rights to do that, and owed the Jets nothing.

I think the problem isn't with your opinion, but the analogy you used. Sports are different then main stream entertainment. Fans know their is a risk of injury/retirement when buying tickets to a sporting event. The ticket has the two teams names on it. It doesn't say Brady vs Luck, for example, it says Patriots vs Colts.

Think of baseball. I love going to day games, but most of them are scheduled the day before a travel day, and managers will usually rest as many starters as they can in trying to give them a day off. I'm buying a ticket to see the Mets vs Atlanta per se, not their starters, so I have no complaint about who is on the field. To me, there is no comparison to say, buying a ticket to the Rolling Stones before Mick Jagger decides to retire, and having no recourse about my ticket purchase once he does. 

This is whats wrong with society, this generation .... 

Ppl dont have principles and think its ok to **** everyone and everything just because its hard or things arent quite how u imagined. Talk to any employer or somone dealing with ppl lucks age. I wonder why divorce is so common now.

Nobody is ever accountable
Nobody gives a sh*t.

If luck was a true man he wouldve been self aware enough to kno he didnt give the colts time to adjust back in Feb. Possibly draft a qb or get foles who is perfect with reich. Now ballard is left holding the bag. I wonder if his job security is in lucks mind ???

He should be a man and at the least play this season then retire. 

Again at a certain point u cant turn back. Unless youre a pos and care nothing for other ppls jobs money or team success

Again this isnt McDonald's
Ppl who are responsible adults kno theres a time and place for decisions

Clown show

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Ppl dont have principles and think its ok to **** everyone and everything just because its hard or things arent quite how u imagined. Talk to any employer or somone dealing with ppl lucks age. I wonder why divorce is so common now.

Nobody gives a sh*t.

If luck was a true man he wouldve been self aware enough to kno he didnt give the colts time to adjust back in Feb. Possibly draft a qb or get foles who is perfect with reich. Now ballard is left holding the bag. I wonder if his job security is in lucks mind ???

Again at a certain point u cant turn back. Unless youre a pos and care nothing for other ppls jobs money or team success

Clown show

This isn’t McDonalds? Damn it! Took a wrong turn someplace. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

He doesn't owe anybody anything.  He's lose his heart for the game, doesn't want to play in pain anymore.  He's going to go and have a good life and  spend his money before his body and brain is to broken down.

Good for him

Thats how children act/ think. It feels hard or isnt fun so i quit. 

Again not an adult response.

There are obligations in life we must fulfill all the time. Our feelings have no bearing on principal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Luck goes to camp and realizes the hurt won't end until he quits. At a loss why he should continue to take a beating that will impact his quality of life for the rest of his days because of some mythical manliness thing. Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders all made roughly the same decision, retiring in their primes. Can understand Colts fans being angry, but how much a beating does a guy have to take? If he goes out there with doubts in his mind, even more likely to get seriously hurt. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

I think he owes his team mates and front office a explanation and he gave one. If the fans are not happy with it ...will they ever be?

I mean fwiw apparently there was going to be a formal press conference to do just that and then the news was leaked during the game 

I doubt luck or his people leaked it 

17 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Nobody gives a sh*t.

Clown show

Generally, I see your point. But Luck is retiring not because "he got paid so he's good". The dude's body is basically betraying him. That problem is based directly on the owner and the past regime that didnt care to make sure that he had a line that could protect him or a rushing game that could help add to the offense. 

You want to know just an incredibly sad stat? Luck was drafted in 2012. Since then the Colts never had a rushing offense higher than 20th in the league. During Lucks time the Colts had a rushing offense as high as 20th and as low as 29th. 

Bro, no one was thinking of Andrew Luck then because they were too busy thinking "All you need is a franchise QB and you're good", and time & time again it's proven not to be true. This isnt basketball where you can win rings by bringing in a superstar or two. You need a team for the most part. 

Look, Luck put the Colts in bad position with his retirement, but the Colts put Luck in a bad position his entire f'ing career. 

Lets not forget that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

There are obligations in life we must fulfill all the time. Our feelings have no bearing on principal. 

It feels hard? The guy has put his body on the line for years. Injury after injury. He had enough. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I Personally think he may be setting the stage to join the XFL for insane money and help build that league

That's more than likely prohibited by his contract. He still is committed to the colts should he ever play football again. He's not a free agent 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, freestater said:

That's more than likely prohibited by his contract. He still is committed to the colts should he ever play football again. He's not a free agent 

You may be right, he obviously isn’t a free agent in he nfl, but outsid the nfl? Can they even legally stop him? XFL is a completely different league and franchise

He played a child’s game for a living. You’re acting like he’s letting his children starve.
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Hard for me to feel bad for Colts fans.  For the past 20 seasons, they have had either Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck as primary starter in 18 of them.  They have had 15 playoff appearances, won 10 Division Titles, 2 SB appearances and 1 W.  It sucks to lose Luck right now, but they have had a great run.  Good luck to Andrew in his retirement; hopefully he doesn't regret it someday.

By contrast, in the last 20 years, our primary starters have been Testaverde, Lucas, Bollinger, Pennington, Favre, Sanchez, Geno, Fitz, McCown and now Darnold. 7 playoff appearances, 2 Division titles and 0 SBs (duh). 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

ndianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck tells Sports Illustrated that his lost season due to his shoulder injury saved his relationship with his now-wife, Nicole Pechanec, and changed his mentality toward football.

"I don’t think I’m married if that had not happened," Luck said in the article. "I think I eff that up. I truly do. I truly do.

“I mean, now, it’s all good. But yeah.”

Luck said he focuses on being "present" when he's at home. In the past, he said he'd bring work home with him mentally. In the past year, Luck has married Pechanec and the couple is expecting a child.

"Get your work done at the building, and when you go home, go home, be present,” Luck said to Sports Illustrated. “And if I wasn’t, I addressed it with my wife — ‘I need to call on this right now, because this is on my mind, and it can’t wait ’til morning.’ And in an odd way, that helped football.

"And then I wasn’t on the football field and I felt quite empty. It was very unhealthy, first for me, second for the relationship with my now-wife, and my other relationships. The result (of the shoulder injury) has been the best thing that ever could’ve happened."

This is all odd. Wife not happy with the pressure of the job?

5 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

It feels hard? The guy has put his body on the line for years. Injury after injury. He had enough. 

Luck has been a pro for 7 seasons, 4-5 college seasons before that. Since his dad was an NFL  QB, he probably played Pop Warner for 4-5 years before that. Basically he's been gearing up every summer for getting himself beat up for 3-4 months every fall for almost 20 years. If his head isn't in it, it's time. The worst thing he could do is half ass it. He's not required to gobble percocet for breakfast  the rest of his days because of some macho nonsense. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

You may be right, he obviously isn’t a free agent in he nfl, but outsid the nfl? Can they even legally stop him? XFL is a completely different league and franchise

I cant say for sure, but I dont think NFL team lawyers would let something like that go unsaid. Not with the history of the AFL then the USFL etc. Cant imagine players' agents could make that clause an issue. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Luck said its mentally draining. The med staff said hed be ok week 1. Hes quitting. Hes not retiring because of diminished play or injury. Stop shifting the narrative

Its disingenuous

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Luck said its mentally draining. The med staff said hed be ok week 1. Hes quitting. Hes not retiring because of diminished play or injury. Stop shifting the narrative

Its disingenuous

Haha ya mentslly draining from constantly being injured an rehabbing or your just going to leave that part out.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Generally, I see your point. But Luck is retiring not because "he got paid so he's good". The dude's body is basically betraying him. That problem is based directly on the owner and the past regime that didnt care to make sure that he had a line that could protect him or a rushing game that could help add to the offense. 

You want to know just an incredibly sad stat? Luck was drafted in 2012. Since then the Colts never had a rushing offense higher than 20th in the league. During Lucks time the Colts had a rushing offense as high as 20th and as low as 29th. 

Bro, no one was thinking of Andrew Luck then because they were too busy thinking "All you need is a franchise QB and you're good", and time & time again it's proven not to be true. This isnt basketball where you can win rings by bringing in a superstar or two. You need a team for the most part. 

Look, Luck put the Colts in bad position with his retirement, but the Colts put Luck in a bad position his entire f'ing career. 

Lets not forget that. 

Incompetence is not unethical. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Ghost420 said:

Haha ya mentslly draining from constantly being injured an rehabbing or your just going to leave that part out.

Everyone who ever played football has multiple injuries aches pain management etc.

Again stop being intellectually dishonest on an obvious character flaw here with luck

• Thumb Down 2

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He played a child’s game for a living. You’re acting like he’s letting his children starve.

Its not a child's game. Millions of dollars , massive ads, incredible medical technology is invested in this. Ppl lives and jobs depend on luck.

If you cant understand this, i seriously question your maturity. 

• Thumb Down 2

If you’ve never dealt with chronic pain before it’s hard to really imagine what living every day of your life that way could be like. To say he owes anything to anybody else in a sport where people get crippled or brain damaged on the regular at any moment is just failing to look at it with any kind of perspective. 

Obviously the timing could be better, but at the end of the day it sounds like he tried to push through this one and just didn’t feel like doing it anymore. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1