Mobile ticketing

So anyone have any interesting experiences with mobile ticketing?

My brother walked into the team store, grabbed a jersey, and went to the register. Told the cashier he was a season ticketholder for his 25% discount. She gave this dumbfounded look, said there was no way to verify that, to which my brother said here's my ticket and waved his phone. She just gave him the 25% discount. Did the same thing with another customer. So looks like they don't have a way to tell if someone is a season ticket holder at the point of sale now that it's mobile. I assume at some point they will sort it out, but for now it's a little crazy.

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets sales dept screwed this up. Why on earth you couldn’t still issue the jets rewards cards to season ticket holders baffles my mind. 

Why wouldnt they add something to the mobile ticket that indicates youre a STH.  All that is needed is a acct # for the tix that has something indicating the tix went to a STH.  

Dont agree with issuing cards when the whole idea is to eliminate mailing out hard copies of tickets, why then mail out reward cards?

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why wouldnt they add something to the mobile ticket that indicates youre a STH.  All that is needed is a acct # for the tix that has something indicating the tix went to a STH.  

Dont agree with issuing cards when the whole idea is to eliminate mailing out hard copies of tickets, why then mail out reward cards?

Not sure of the point tho. Last year I mainly used my phone but we had the card with the cool jets lanyard that if you Noticed a lot of season ticket holders would wear around their neck as a pride type of thing too. Towards the end we also used the card to get in and found it easier then the phone. We also flashed it for certain discounts and what not. Now we gotta like open the app and all. Kinda annoying especially  when your phone is dying which actually happened to me yesterday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone have any idea on the type of numbers involved? How much does it cost to print and mail tickets? How much would they pay for an app and backend like this? I am guessing there is a big re-use situation here and they're not the first to build an app like this. Probably buying from ticketmaster or the like.

Someone said this in another thread - I think the big idea is less about saving from printing and mailing costs and more about tracking our gameday habits so they may better market to us. Fan x likes to buy a couple beers per game - let's send him some ads and a coupon. Fan y picks up a football to toss with his kid - let's send him some ads and a coupon. Etc.

Digital marketing.

6 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Anyone have any idea on the type of numbers involved? How much does it cost to print and mail tickets? How much would they pay for an app and backend like this? I am guessing there is a big re-use situation here and they're not the first to build an app like this. Probably buying from ticketmaster or the like.

Someone said this in another thread - I think the big idea is less about saving from printing and mailing costs and more about tracking our gameday habits so they may better market to us. Fan x likes to buy a couple beers per game - let's send him some ads and a coupon. Fan y picks up a football to toss with his kid - let's send him some ads and a coupon. Etc.

Digital marketing.

The whole world is moving towards digital, paperless environment.  

I go to games and use my phone to get in.  I go to concerts and use my phone to get in.  I go to the friggen movies and use my phone to get in.  No need for another app.  Can add something to their existing app or just put a notation on the ticket, include the info in the bar code, whatever, isnt hard to do.

Tickets are another thing to carry to an event, the phone is coming with you regardless.  Why pay the associated costs of printing, mailing and whatever costs associated with the people who lose their tickets?  Throw in the simplicity when you sell a ticket and just have to email the ticket to someone else.  Too many positives vs a handful, maybe with hard copies

Why should I be surprised that the NFL is following suit? 

Just now, Lot K Tailgaters said:

My sister couldn’t get her seat to load for about five minutes.  She has an android.  This is with only 20k fans.  Wait until week 1.  

I also had from 4:00 pm until midnight a constant alert “Jets at 8:30 pm”.  Very annoying.  

This whole thing is an FU to the fans.  

Call the NY Jets ticket office first thing in the morning and let them know and demand paper tickets. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The whole world is moving towards digital, paperless environment.  

I go to games and use my phone to get in.  I go to concerts and use my phone to get in.  I go to the friggen movies and use my phone to get in.  No need for another app.  Can add something to their existing app or just put a notation on the ticket, include the info in the bar code, whatever, isnt hard to do.

Tickets are another thing to carry to an event, the phone is coming with you regardless.  Why pay the associated costs of printing, mailing and whatever costs associated with the people who lose their tickets?  Throw in the simplicity when you sell a ticket and just have to email the ticket to someone else.  Too many positives vs a handful, maybe with hard copies

Why should I be surprised that the NFL is following suit? 

Yeah, I hear ya. Modern mobile computers with voice apps (phones) are really the transition from human to robot. They are basically computerized extensions of us with really slow I/O (we can only read, see, and hear so fast). Eventually you won't have to take one with you. Or, you will, but it will have a much smaller form factor (watch + earpiece?). After that, if companies like Neurolink succeed, there'll be even tighter integration with our minds and really fast and seamless I/O.

I'm not anti-progress, and I get a new mobile computer with a voice app each year (ping ponging between iPhones and Google Pixels). Just saying the Jets probably also love this since now they'll know more precisely what we do in the stadiums, and they'll use that data to better market to us. Like everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Image-1.jpg

There are 4 different apps and 2 different technologies that can be confusing.

1.  Jets Rewards in the Jets App:  This is how a STH is identified and the way to pay with discounts and/or using your rewards dollars.  Nothing to do with tickets, it's a Tab in the app, requires userid and password, brings up a special barcode which needs scanning at a register.  Has nothing to do with ticketing.

2.  Jets Tickets in the Jets App:  This doesn't have anything to do with buying merchandise, just a way to get into the stadium at the gate.

3.  Ticketmaster Ticket App:  This doesn't have anything to do with buying merchandise, just a way to get into the stadium at the gate.

4.  iPhone Wallet App:  This doesn't have anything to do with buying merchandise, just an alternate way to get into the stadium at the gate.

So, I'm fairly confident that your brother walked up with a ticket on his phone, not the QR code as shown above and wasn't using the Jets app with the Rewards tab opened and your userid/password credentials signed in.

SAR I

17 hours ago, joebabyny said:

Image-1-1.jpg

Yes, I had an interesting experience with mobile ticketing yesterday at MetLife for the Saints game.

By using the iPhone Wallet app, when we got to the gate I didn't need to expose any barcodes.  It used NFC technology (like Apple Pay for those that use it at retail registers) so all I had to do was swipe 4 times at the Wallet screen and we were done.  Faster and more efficient than the around-the-neck rewards cards.  Apple Wallet also put the Jets tickets right on the home screen once we entered the parking lot, so I didn't need to even unlock my phone.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:02 AM, joebabyny said:

My brother walked into the team store, grabbed a jersey, and went to the register. Told the cashier he was a season ticketholder for his 25% discount. She gave this dumbfounded look, said there was no way to verify that, to which my brother said here's my ticket and waved his phone. She just gave him the 25% discount. Did the same thing with another customer. So looks like they don't have a way to tell if someone is a season ticket holder at the point of sale now that it's mobile. I assume at some point they will sort it out, but for now it's a little crazy.

That is insane but they pretty much used to do the same thing before. I was in there and saw people saw I am a season ticket holder; discount applied.

These mobile tickets suck though.

13 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

It’s a joke. Transferred tix to a friend who cancelled and could not get them transferred back. 

Oh damn, that isn't good. I transferred my tickets and was able to get them back. I don't think that part of the site changed because that is ticketmaster. Still not good though.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, kevinc855 said:

Jets sales dept screwed this up. Why on earth you couldn’t still issue the jets rewards cards to season ticket holders baffles my mind. 

Totally agree. Would have made it easier for a VIP entrance too.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:52 AM, kevinc855 said:

Not sure of the point tho. Last year I mainly used my phone but we had the card with the cool jets lanyard that if you Noticed a lot of season ticket holders would wear around their neck as a pride type of thing too. Towards the end we also used the card to get in and found it easier then the phone. We also flashed it for certain discounts and what not. Now we gotta like open the app and all. Kinda annoying especially  when your phone is dying which actually happened to me yesterday.

My phone is always dying. I hope this is short lived.

My phone dies by the end of the game. God have mercy on the soul of the usher that won't let me back to my seat if my phone dies.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Cornfed said:

Digital marketing.

Yes, this has NOTHING to do with saving on mailing costs. Absolutely nothing. Think about it most season ticket holders were already using those cards and you use them year after year.

The Jets sent out a box that was pretty much empty to all season ticket holders. Paper tickets could have gone in there with no additional cost. So it isn't about mobile costs. It is about forcing you to use an app and all the additional data they get from it.

It is terrible honestly, just terrible. I hope people continue to push back hard on this.

We have a bunch of social media followers and the most active forums in the NFL. When I go to the games a lot of times I leave my phone in the car. It lights up non stop with notifications. Yes I can turn them off. But I go to the games to watch the game, not my phone.

This is a big step backwards.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

My sister couldn’t get her seat to load for about five minutes.  She has an android.  This is with only 20k fans.  Wait until week 1.  

I also had from 4:00 pm until midnight a constant alert “Jets at 8:30 pm”.  Very annoying.  

This whole thing is an FU to the fans.  

I hope it's a complete sh*t show . FU to the NFL and their digital bullcrap .

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes, this has NOTHING to do with saving on mailing costs. Absolutely nothing. Think about it most season ticket holders were already using those cards and you use them year after year.

The Jets sent out a box that was pretty much empty to all season ticket holders. Paper tickets could have gone in there with no additional cost. So it isn't about mobile costs. It is about forcing you to use an app and all the additional data they get from it.

It is terrible honestly, just terrible. I hope people continue to push back hard on this.

We have a bunch of social media followers and the most active forums in the NFL. When I go to the games a lot of times I leave my phone in the car. It lights up non stop with notifications. Yes I can turn them off. But I go to the games to watch the game, not my phone.

This is a big step backwards.

They should let you opt out of data collection on the app. Most probably wouldn’t. Win/win

• Upvote 1

So did anyone use the bar code scan on the Jets app on their android and got in without problems?  Having thousands of people at the gates trying to bring up their bar code on their phones all at the same time could be a challenge on the cell phone towers (least I'd think so..that's some serious Wifi/cell network usage going on!) .. I'd be a little worried about that.. can you imagine an internet outage or power outage with thousands standing by the gate? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matthew007b said:

So did anyone use the bar code scan on the Jets app on their android and got in without problems?  Having thousands of people at the gates trying to bring up their bar code on their phones all at the same time could be a challenge on the cell phone towers (least I'd think so..that's some serious Wifi/cell network usage going on!) .. I'd be a little worried about that.. can you imagine an internet outage or power outage with thousands standing by the gate? 

Can they correct the hourly damn reminder of the game too

• Sympathy 1

On 8/25/2019 at 8:41 PM, SAR I said:

Image-1.jpg

There are 4 different apps and 2 different technologies that can be confusing.

1.  Jets Rewards in the Jets App:  This is how a STH is identified and the way to pay with discounts and/or using your rewards dollars.  Nothing to do with tickets, it's a Tab in the app, requires userid and password, brings up a special barcode which needs scanning at a register.  Has nothing to do with ticketing.

2.  Jets Tickets in the Jets App:  This doesn't have anything to do with buying merchandise, just a way to get into the stadium at the gate.

3.  Ticketmaster Ticket App:  This doesn't have anything to do with buying merchandise, just a way to get into the stadium at the gate.

4.  iPhone Wallet App:  This doesn't have anything to do with buying merchandise, just an alternate way to get into the stadium at the gate.

So, I'm fairly confident that your brother walked up with a ticket on his phone, not the QR code as shown above and wasn't using the Jets app with the Rewards tab opened and your userid/password credentials signed in.

SAR I

Actually, he walked up to the register and stated "I am a season ticket holder and I'd like to apply the discount," to which the cashier said she didn't know how to verify that. It isn't on the customer to know how to jump through the hoops.

• Upvote 1

My phone did in fact die in the stadium, how will they account for that happening to people?

I have 2 season ticket accounts with 4 seats each. I am wondering how the app handles juggling 2 accounts?

Now that the tix will live on my phone, how do my guests have verification to ushers?

Am I going to have to pull out my phone and swipe around when going to my seats? That will be fun with 2 arm fulls of mediocre food and over priced beer.

This isn't about saving printing costs, and it is partly about data, but what it is REALLY about is the team and nfl controlling the secondary ticket market. They control and see where every ticket goes for the life of the ticket. They can make it difficult to sell in marketplaces where they don't want it sold, and can find ways to participate in profiting on the secondary market. 

• Upvote 2

I went to a Jags preseason game for a networking event.  The mobile ticketing idea is the stupidest thing ever created.  The amount of connectivity issues, cant get my tickets download, the scanner wont scan on my phone, cant get them to transfer, myphone died issues were out of ******* control.  What typically takes 5 minutes to enter, took 30...for a preseason game.  It was utter chaos at the gates.  Cant imagine when they actually have a full stadium trying to get in at the same time.  It's going to be an absolute disaster. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Everyone needs to keep calling to complain.  Only way they will make a change.  

I just called to thank the Jets for making mobile ticketing so easy.  They could have blocked it for use in the iPhone Wallet and I'm very glad they didn't.  Once through the metal detector, getting through the ticket gate has never been faster.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

20 hours ago, jgb said:

What if your phone dies? Are there charging stations near the gates?

What do I do if I run out of gas?  Are there gas stations in the parking lots?

Everyone needs to keep calling to complain.  Only way they will make a change.  

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1