- NO first offensive series was a clinic by Brees, Kamara and Thomas
as they marched down the field for a TD.  But for a crew who threw 
30 flags, they missed an obvious offensive pass interference.  Neville
Hewitt came up to cover Kamara on a wheel route and was blocked for an
obvious penalty.  Nothing was called which led to a key 30+ yard gain
on the drive

- In Hewitt's first start since replacing Avery Williamson, he showed
good coverage as he stayed with Kamara on the previously mentioned
play.  And then later broke up a TD on a Brees pass to their TE (Griffin?)

- Brian Poole had a good game in coverage and showed his physicality as
he put a couple of big hits on NO receivers.  But he should've had an INT
on the Brees to Thomas (20+ yard) throw on their TD drive

- Still waiting on Quinnen Williams to get his first sack, but again he
drew multiple holding penalties and had a couple of QB hits

- Jordan Jenkins was very active off the edge and in NO backfield a number
of times.  In the final year of his rookie deal can he build off of 2018
(7 sacks) and break out?

- Alex Brown built off his performance in the ATL game.  He was picked on
multiple times but held up well in coverage.  He had multiple PBU's, drew
an offensive pass interference penalty and displayed his solid tackling
skills.  Can he keep this up and increase the depth at the CB spot?

- For the first time the OLine struggled particularly up the middle, as
there was way too many hits on Sam Darnold

- Ty Montgomery's fumble disrupted the flow of the offense as it prevented
them from getting enough reps.  It took until the #1's final drive of the
night before they looked like they did in the NYG and ATL games

- Good to see Darnold struggle early and recover before leaving the game.
Think about how far the team has come at the position when the QB can be
8/13 for 97 yards and 1 TD yet he "struggled"

- Good "building block" game for Robby Anderson.  As he continued to show
diversity in his routes, beating Lattimore on an out.  And adjusting to a
slight underthrow on a vertical from Darnold (40+ yards)

- Greg Dortch won the punt return job with that 30+ yarder.  Showing excellent
balance and wiggle

- Taylor Bertolet keeps himself in the kicker discussion with a bounce back
game.  Two FG's from long distance (49 + 56) opened my eyes

- Trenton Cannon probably had his best game from the line of scrimmage.  As he
finally found holes and utilized his speed to break off a couple of nice runs

- Finally Luke Falk has taken the #3 QB spot, what took so long??? 

Why can't Simien complete a simple azz out pattern that's wide open? That sh*t drives me crazy. Oh, but Sams throws to the RBs out of the backfield are just awesome & will get better. He missed a couple by inches last night because the Oline sucked balls & allowed way to much quick pressure. 

• Sympathy 1

Falk is better than simien

jordan Jenkins looks like he could actually be a decent edge guy

gase seemed like he didn’t want to reveal too much of the offense last night

with the crappy cbs expect lots of blitzing and big plays, and the offense is going to be a statistical juggernaut with bell.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I was most concerned with how covered our starting wideouts were against Saints first team. No one for open and it was almost exclusively dunks to Montgomery.

Agreed.

enunwa=jag

herndon out for 4 games, probably trying to adjust to this

no bell, so defenses are not challenged on how to cover him and Monty out of backfield

also think there will be 4 wr sets with Burnett and perhaps even dortch at some point

draw on 3rd and 12 told me they’re holding back the offense in preseason

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Agreed.

enunwa=jag

herndon out for 4 games, probably trying to adjust to this

no bell, so defenses are not challenged on how to cover him and Monty out of backfield

also think there will be 4 wr sets with Burnett and perhaps even dortch at some point

Yep, Enunwa is a bit concerning. I do feel like they toned back the Crowder plays during this game and that it’ll be more important once the season starts.

Enunwa needs to do more tho. Anderson was able to beat Lattimore and get open occasionally and Enunwa has to do the same.

Sam left some plays on the field and needs to improve in the pocket but he’s clearly much better than last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Luke Falk was a guy I wanted us to draft even after Sam.  Again, the whole idea of drafting Griffin and Cousins.  Falk put up great numbers in college as a walk-on, and seems to have an 'it' factor.  Is he Tom Brady sixth round good?  Odds are, no.  But if you can draft a QB in the 6th round and he could be a career back-up/spot starter, I would say that is good use of your later round picks.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Luke Falk was a guy I wanted us to draft even after Sam.  Again, the whole idea of drafting Griffin and Cousins.  Falk put up great numbers in college as a walk-on, and seems to have an 'it' factor.  Is he Tom Brady sixth round good?  Odds are, no.  But if you can draft a QB in the 6th round and he could be a career back-up/spot starter, I would say that is good use of your later round picks.

Against backups he looks as good as could be hoped for.  If he were on the Giants they would be asking when he would take over for Eli, has looked as good as Jones just without the hype 

• Upvote 2

I saw the game a little differently 

The saints offense benefited from a blown PI (which by the way, how do we get our staff to challenge that?)

And a long completion from Brees they went through the defenses hands. That was a terrible throw that should have been picked.

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

This was the perfect pre-season matchup for us.  Secondary is banged up and what better opportunity to see what some of these kids can do than to play a NO team that threw the ball 45 times last night.  Put as much stress on these guys as we can in August to see who can play (Brown/Poole) and who can't (Nickerson/Bryant).  Still think we add a couple of CBs after cut down day, but a game like yesterday, win or lose, is exactly what the CS needed to see.  Saints are a bad matchup for a team with weaknesses in the ssecondary, but that is exactly what makes them a good preseason matchup.

I love your analysis.  You couldn't be more right!!  Unfortunately, the game stuck a pin in our bloated feelings about our Jets.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

This was the perfect pre-season matchup for us.  Secondary is banged up and what better opportunity to see what some of these kids can do than to play a NO team that threw the ball 45 times last night.  Put as much stress on these guys as we can in August to see who can play (Brown/Poole) and who can't (Nickerson/Bryant).  Still think we add a couple of CBs after cut down day, but a game like yesterday, win or lose, is exactly what the CS needed to see.  Saints are a bad matchup for a team with weaknesses in the ssecondary, but that is exactly what makes them a good preseason matchup.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I love that we got to see Drew Brees with his compliment of weapons against our secondary.  I was never a fan of watching our preseason create false hope with big wins.  i just want  to see work and guys get challenged. Atlanta and NO are good teams for that.  

The big take for me, and I didn't watch the whole game, was seeing how effective QW is at getting quick penetration and having savvy guys like Brees slip away with ease. He needs that work right now. These aren't bewildered college QBs who crap their pants at the sight of penetration. QW needs to learn that and fast. The good news is I think he will. He's a hard working, good kid who wants to be the best. I would much rather he have a hard time in preseason than going the way of Dorian Boose and lead the league in sacks during the preseason only to stop dead in his tracks in the real games. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

I love your analysis.  You couldn't be more right!!  Unfortunately, the game stuck a pin in our bloated feelings about our Jets.

I think that's actually fortunate. It's good to see teams like the Saints show us that these visions of Super Bowl this year are far fetched. Throwing draft capital away for older guys who can have an impact this year is foolish. We are not in the same league as the Saints yet. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I saw the game a little differently 

The saints offense benefited from a blown PI (which by the way, how do we get our staff to challenge that?)

And a long completion from Brees they went through the defenses hands. That was a terrible throw that should have been picked.

This is good point. That was blatant offensive pass interference on Hewitt wheel route to Kamara. 

Then you had the get your heads out of your azzes moment when 3 guys had a chance to pick off that duck thrown up by Brees.

Then you had what I thought was great coverage by the DB, he was glued to Thomas & Brees puts that ball right on him & of course we all saw why Michael Thomas is now the highest paid WR in the NFL. 

Both starting guards out, no Bell, Gase running the same route with Crowder he's run all preseason (definitely more to come from Crowder). Saints are a legitimate Super Bowl contender, 13-3, 14-2 this year in that division with the Falcons Oline issues, Cam constantly hurt & Bowles trying to defend Kamara (has Bowles ever stopped swing passes, see McCoy 2015), or been able to defend a star WR? See AG Green, Deandre Hopkins, ect. 

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think that's actually fortunate. It's good to see teams like the Saints show us that these visions of Super Bowl this year are far fetched. Throwing draft capital away for older guys who can have an impact this year is foolish. We are not in the same league as the Saints yet. 

Thank you!  You are a very smart man!!

• Sympathy 1

first things first, there are no CBs coming on cut down day. Put that delusion out of your mind. Every contending team needs 3 or 4 starting quality CBs. The Jets have 1 starter Trumaine Johnson and he's hurt. No one good is getting cut to help out. Marcus Cooper is on Kickoff coverage right now. 

#45 LB Neville Hewitt was targeted - Kamara out of the backfield is his responsibility. He held up once but the Saints picked on him and  when that didn't work they went at the rookie #35 Tevaughn Campbell (who?) - this Williamson injury does hurt and so does the lack of CBs. There's no easy fix for either.   

ty montgomery's fumble is the reason that dude is 26 years old and on like his 3rd team in 4 years. He's a WR playing RB of course people can strip him. 

even without KO in the lineup the line is much better than last year and those who still say the line is a problem aren't really watching closely. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

doesn't gase have like a really high play calling trend toward 3rd and long draws? I thought I read that somewhere or perhaps it was a hallucination

• Sympathy 3

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  I love that we got to see Drew Brees with his compliment of weapons against our secondary.  I was never a fan of watching our preseason create false hope with big wins.  i just want  to see work and guys get challenged. Atlanta and NO are good teams for that.  

The big take for me, and I didn't watch the whole game, was seeing how effective QW is at getting quick penetration and having savvy guys like Brees slip away with ease. He needs that work right now. These aren't bewildered college QBs who crap their pants at the sight of penetration. QW needs to learn that and fast. The good news is I think he will. He's a hard working, good kid who wants to be the best. I would much rather he have a hard time in preseason than going the way of Dorian Boose and lead the league in sacks during the preseason only to stop dead in his tracks in the real games. 

agree QW needs showed promise, he's really a one year guy at Bama so the work is needed and its looks like it will take time, from the Lee performance in the preseason with the Chiefs, it's clear the defensive coaching was non-existent under kacy - maybe Leo steps up as well

• Upvote 1

first things first, there are no CBs coming on cut down day. Put that delusion out of your mind. Every contending team needs 3 or 4 starting quality CBs. The Jets have 1 starter Trumaine Johnson and he's hurt. No one good is getting cut to help out. Marcus Cooper is on Kickoff coverage right now. 
#45 LB Neville Hewitt was targeted - Kamara out of the backfield is his responsibility. He held up once but the Saints picked on him and  when that didn't work they went at the rookie #35 Tevaughn Campbell (who?) - this Williamson injury does hurt and so does the lack of CBs. There's no easy fix for either.   
ty montgomery's fumble is the reason that dude is 26 years old and on like his 3rd team in 4 years. He's a WR playing RB of course people can strip him. 
even without KO in the lineup the line is much better than last year and those who still say the line is a problem aren't really watching closely. 
doesn't gase have like a really high play calling trend toward 3rd and long draws? I thought I read that somewhere or perhaps it was a hallucination

We have a lot of work to do. The good news is we’ve also done a lot of work. As you said, our OL is not as bad as last year. Douglas obviously places a premium on the unit and having pollack around is a positive.

The CB thing is what it is. We are not going to the SB this year whatever the reason is whatever it is. That said, we will start the season with the intended group of trumaine, Roberts and Poole. That’s about as good as it’s gonna get and it’s fine. Injuries aside. The next guy up is the question mark.

This year is all about our transition from a Defensive focus to an offensive focus. It’s all about Sam and his weapons and protection. This year will be to progress and learn what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That said, we will start the season with the intended group of trumaine, Roberts and Poole. That’s about as good as it’s gonna get and it’s fine. 

it might be as good as it's going to get but it's not fine. 

it's 1 good starter and 2 dime backs maybe? it's not hard for a QB like Brees or Brady to find the weak link all game  

they are going to get shredded and expecting Sam Darnold to outscore everyone as a 22 year old with like 3 weapons (robby, crowder and Bell) is probably too much to ask

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it might be as good as it's going to get but it's not fine. 

it's 1 good starter and 2 dime backs maybe? it's not hard for a QB like Brees or Brady to find the weak link all game  

they are going to get shredded and expecting Sam Darnold to outscore everyone as a 22 year old with like 3 weapons (robby, crowder and Bell) is probably too much to ask

Doesn’t sound like a very optimistic view.   What’s your prediction for this seasons record?   Over .500?   Make the playoffs? Top 10 draft pick?

3 minutes ago, faba said:

THE CB situation is very troubling. Brees picked us apart in his one series.  Johnson a question mark even if healthy based on last year anbd he is the best we have

To be fair Brees does this to everyone, and they could well have won the super bowl last year if the refs didn’t blow the call.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

Doesn’t sound like a very optimistic view.   What’s your prediction for this seasons record?   Over .500?   Make the playoffs? Top 10 draft pick?

7-9 maybe 6 if things go bad and 8 if things go well

they don't have this huge 10 or 11 win upside 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I didn't see anybody mention the Polite sighting!? Saints 3rd string QB has a set of wheels and I would say any other quarterback in this league would have been crushed for a safety. Obviously our offense was out of sync. However I still saw plenty of players on both sides of the ball show up and Flash which is a good thing. I think the offensive plays were kept pretty vanilla. I think Williams defense is very complicated for the secondary if theyre substituting guys who don't always play together and we saw a lot of that last night. And yes there was lots of ridiculous Flags and many of them favored the Saints. I really liked Darnolds post game interview. Gase however came off as frustrated and brooding which is the first I've seen of this. So basically the offensive line was timid, Cannon finally showed up, and Greg Williams third-string secondary was very confused. I still have faith this is going to be a kick-ass season.

• Upvote 1

Nothing really changed for me this game. Offense will be fine. We’ve never seen the starting OL out together, which sucks since that will take time to mesh. But once healthy, the OL will have good depth. 

Being able to put Montgomery and Bell on the field together will help a ton as well. 

Defense just continues to be the problem. We drafted Q to cause chaos in the middle. Not just draw flags. Hope we see a lot more as the season starts. 

• Upvote 1

I watched the game twice and I think Williams is still just putting people on islands and seeing what happens, I think game day defenses will work more to play to the teams strengths and minimize the weaknesses. Keep in mind we are not seeing any game planning or in game adjustments. I dont expect us to be an elite defense but I think the tools are there to be at least a competent one. 

Bad quarters will happen and that is really what I think we saw in that game last night.

The lightbulb seemed to finally go on for Cannon last night. He probably cemented a spot for himself.

Same with Dortch. He has looked excellent on every punt. It seems completely natural to him and has put together several excellent returns.

Polite played noticeably better.

The DL had good penetration, but looked like a Bowles defense with soft coverage behind. That needs to change.

Falk should be number 2. I would see if we can pick up a later round pick for Siemian. Falk fits our offense better and Siemian just seems so conservative and and really looks  like a JAG out there

The touch on the TD pass was impressive.

All the penalties was ridiculous.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

MR. BUZZKILL, welcome. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

never a fan of Cannon ... but that's because I've never seen last nights guy before ... against scrubs, but still a very strong showing

good to see Dortsh look like he cemented PR

did see Polite near enough to the QB to notice him 

if we go with only 2 qb & not able to stash falk safe somewhere then i would like to keep him as #2

I honestly thought they looked timid, and maybe even a little spooked last night considering the Williamson injury and other league wide PS injuries. I take absolutely nothing out of anything I have seen this PS TBH, in fact I will say overall, this PS has been the most tough to watch of any I can ever remember. The quality of play is dreadful. We all know once the real games start, the NFL is a totally different game than it is in the PS. Like flipping on a light switch to a more intense, faster, and much more competitive game then the absolute crap we see in August.

Some observations:

This new PI replay crap will now make these games go on forever and allow for more revenue with more idiotic ad's. This 10 second ad crap, 30 second ad crap will drive us all nuts too. Love to be sitting out in the rain / snow freeaing my a$$ off in November having to endure all of these game delays.

Kicker had a good night and eased my mind a bit. Still not 100% sure about Bertolet though as most of his kick offs are short, but he kicked a lot better last night. That 56 yarder was nice, was not expecting him to make that one. Hopefully one less thing to worry about.

Secondary and defense have the chance to be historically bad. GW will definitely have to earn his paycheck to keep us competitive this season. While they did cover NO receivers, Brees cut them to shreds. Someone has to tell our DB's that they need to turn around and find the football once in a while. Having a lot of Donald Dykes flashbacks watching the backs of these guys run around chasing opponent WR's.

Sam took an inordinate amount of hits last night due to our OL not being intact. A small worry, but now that its over and we came out reasonably healthy its all systems go for opening day. Was #81 dressed last night?

Cannon looked great yesterday against 2nd and 3rd's, but still did enough to make the team for KR's I believe. Dortch will be our PR.

LW still gets manhandled at the point of attack. QW reminds me of #73 in that he finds a way to wiggle through the OL into the offensive backfield. No I am not saying he is #73. Hoping between the 2 and Anderson we can generate some semblance of a pass rush.

What is so disappointing is this organization has spent the last 10 years drafting defensive players and we still have a poor defense. We will be spending a lot more picks and FA money on defense over the next few years as well I am afraid, and I just hope JD holds true to form and does not ignore the offense as past regimes did.

Having watched this team and the NFL for close to half of a century, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea what we are going to be lol. Could be really good and win 10-11 games, could be really bad and lose 10-11 games although I doubt it will ever get as bad as it has been over the past few seasons. Hoping that once we get #26 into the fold, and get Kalil and Osemele back, it will definitely change things drastically on offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

from the Lee performance in the preseason with the Chiefs, it's clear the defensive coaching was non-existent under kacy 

Thought I read that Lee has graded out as one of the worst LBs this preseason and has been horrible in KC?

54 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

To be fair Brees does this to everyone, and they could well have won the super bowl last year if the refs didn’t blow the call.

I think the Pats D would have had a little more trouble against a WR like Thomas, a healthy Kamara & Ingram instead of an injured Gurley & Brees instead of an overwhelmed Goff, but that's just me.