Game Observations (NO)

KRL

5 hours ago, KRL said:

- Still waiting on Quinnen Williams to get his first sack, but again he
drew multiple holding penalties and had a couple of QB hits

He's the real deal. Should only get better.  The DLine is clearly the strength of the defense.  I think we'll see more 4-3 than expected, and that's a good thing.  Keeping all of McClendon, Leo, QW and Anderson on the field over somebody like Hewitt or Wint could be a good idea.

- Jordan Jenkins was very active off the edge and in NO backfield a number
of times.  In the final year of his rookie deal can he build off of 2018
(7 sacks) and break out?

Would be interesting to see if the Jets get an extension done with him prior to the season.  Might be good for both the Jets and for Jenkins as there's always injury risk and his price could go up if he has another good year.  If preseason is any indiction he looks like a building block on D, very good but not spectacular....the kind of guy you really need to keep following his rookie deal into his mid/late 20's.

- For the first time the OLine struggled particularly up the middle, as
there was way too many hits on Sam Darnold

It was ugly and worrisome but I have to remind myself that those guys SHOULDN'T be our starters.  Really need KO and Winters back, and the Kalil situation will be interesting if the Jets actually feel that Harrison could be as good or better than him right now, even if only because of the playbook knowledge and being in better shape.

- Taylor Bertolet keeps himself in the kicker discussion with a bounce back
game.  Two FG's from long distance (49 + 56) opened my eyes

Who else is in the discussion?  I thought he was only talking to himself right now.

- Trenton Cannon probably had his best game from the line of scrimmage.  As he
finally found holes and utilized his speed to break off a couple of nice runs

Nice to see Cannon step up rather than simply have Eli McGuire lose the job by doing nothing.  I didn't want to see RB4 decided as who is the best of these terrible guys.  With Cannon I think there's at least some hope and of course some ST ability. 

The real question with the roster on O will be the WR spot IMO, and how the Jets view Montgomery.  Is he 100% RB only or do the Jets keep 5 WRs and 4 RBs with the idea that Montgomery could be viewed as WR6 if necessary?  It's like having a backup Center who can also be your long snapper...it saves you a roster spot.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's not hard for a QB like Brees or Brady to find the weak link all game

Let me rephrase that. 'Its not hard for one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL to find the weak link. 

Point is, Tru is hurt and that sucks. However, its not a long term injury (lets hope) and he will be back. With Tru, Roberts and Poole (who has looked surprisingly good), the Jets are decent with the top 3 CBs. They have very good safeties and yes the remaining depth is pretty bad. It is what it is. That's easily the weakest position for on the whole Jets team and I'll take that. Nobody is expecting this to be a contender. So yes, Douglas should keep looking for CB help but theres no need to panic and no need to sacrifice talent at other positions or give up future draft picks to trade for a starting CB if a good deal does not come around. It may just make the most sense to wait until next year to address the CB position via FA and the draft and as fans we just gotta deal with that. 

All teams have weaknesses, even good teams. Just look at the Saints. They area one of the best teams in the NFL. CB is actually one of their weaknesses. After Lattimore they have E.Apple, PJ Williams, P.Robinson. Not saying its worse than the Jets, just saying if you look around the league teams don't exactly have 4 stud CBs. Usually they are lucky to have one or two.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The real question with the roster on O will be the WR spot IMO, and how the Jets view Montgomery.  Is he 100% RB only or do the Jets keep 5 WRs and 4 RBs with the idea that Montgomery could be viewed as WR6 if necessary?  It's like having a backup Center who can also be your long snapper...it saves you a roster spot.

I think the Jets will keep Montgomery as a RB and I think McGuire is pretty much a goner. Just the fact that Cannon is on the field regularly on special teams while McGuire is on the sideline doing nothing really hurts McGuire. Then Cannon showed that if he got some decent blocking he can gash the defense. That may have solidified his spot. So IMO its going to be Bell, Mont., Powell, Cannon. With 6 WRs- Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Bellamy, Burnett, Dortch  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

agree QW needs showed promise, he's really a one year guy at Bama so the work is needed and its looks like it will take time, from the Lee performance in the preseason with the Chiefs, it's clear the defensive coaching was non-existent under kacy - maybe Leo steps up as well

I've been pleased with QW so far, and he wasn't the pick I wanted at 3, Josh Allen was.

I'm not looking to argue here, but hat said, let's nip this "he's really a one year guy, it's gonna take time" stuff in the bud. I was ok with that reasoning last year with a QB taken with the 3rd pick. Picking a DL at #3 though, that same sh*t ain't gonna fly again this year. The draft was loaded where we needed help on D, and we had better get immediate production from the guy we took that high. Enough with the "he's gotta develop" stuff please.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Against backups he looks as good as could be hoped for.  If he were on the Giants they would be asking when he would take over for Eli, has looked as good as Jones just without the hype 

YEEEEEAHHH....

I wonder if Giants fans will look back and say, "We could have went Darnold and then (insert top 6 pick here), but instead we went with a running back and a 5th round talent QB with our 6th pick......FACK

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

YEEEEEAHHH....

I wonder if Giants fans will look back and say, "We could have went Darnold and then (insert top 6 pick here), but instead we went with a running back and a 5th round talent QB with our 6th pick......FACK

Yeah, you're quite an astute QB talent appraiser aren't you?

I think Gettleman, the Giants, and their fans are pretty happy this morning with their last two drafts.

I'm not sure why Jet fans feel so good making Daniel Jones, Barkley put downs. Jones has looked as good as any QB in preseason, and that Barkley guy is pretty good also.

We root for a team that's won 19 games in 3 years. So yeah, let's make fun of the Giants and their picks. Especially when their 7th round pick, Ballentine, got shot in the butt after the draft, and has shown more this preseason then any of the Jets picks have.

More FACKS.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

first things first, there are no CBs coming on cut down day. Put that delusion out of your mind. Every contending team needs 3 or 4 starting quality CBs. The Jets have 1 starter Trumaine Johnson and he's hurt. No one good is getting cut to help out. Marcus Cooper is on Kickoff coverage right now. 

#45 LB Neville Hewitt was targeted - Kamara out of the backfield is his responsibility. He held up once but the Saints picked on him and  when that didn't work they went at the rookie #35 Tevaughn Campbell (who?) - this Williamson injury does hurt and so does the lack of CBs. There's no easy fix for either.   

ty montgomery's fumble is the reason that dude is 26 years old and on like his 3rd team in 4 years. He's a WR playing RB of course people can strip him. 

even without KO in the lineup the line is much better than last year and those who still say the line is a problem aren't really watching closely. 

doesn't gase have like a really high play calling trend toward 3rd and long draws? I thought I read that somewhere or perhaps it was a hallucination

Montgomery had 4 fumbles in 4 seasons as a rb/wr. Averaged 1 per year. That's probably less than average but certainly not egregious.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, you're quite an astute QB talent appraiser aren't you?

I think Gettleman, the Giants, and their fans are pretty happy this morning with their last two drafts.

I'm not sure why Jet fans feel so good making Daniel Jones, Barkley put downs. Jones has looked as good as any QB in preseason, and that Barkley guy is pretty good also.

We root for a team that's won 19 games in 3 years. So yeah, let's make fun of the Giants and their picks. Especially when their 7th round pick, Ballentine, got shot in the butt after the draft, and has shown more this preseason then any of the Jets picks have.

More FACKS.

I still dont see Jones as a top QB prospect, I dont care what he showed Giants fans playing against nothing but backups.  Dont think thats a put down, its theres still a huge question that those trying to be so "fair".  Funny part the same fairness gives us "Darnolds seems good but he hasnt proven anything yet" quotes all day long.  But Jones, who as I said, who hasnt played one single down of real football against teams that game planned or against starters yet is impressive.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I still dont see Jones as a top QB prospect, I dont care what he showed Giants fans playing against nothing but backups.  Dont think thats a put down, its theres still a huge question that those trying to be so "fair".  Funny part the same fairness gives us "Darnolds seems good but he hasnt proven anything yet" quotes all day long.  But Jones, who as I said, who hasnt played one single down of real football against teams that game planned or against starters yet is impressive.  

Let's look at this either of two ways, both of which I think are fair. In order to do that, let's take the words "Giants", and "Jets" out of this.

1. Like most people, I thought player X was over drafted. I thought "team A" could have got him at #17. That said, he was a QB, and they liked him, so there was that. He does really well in his first 3 preseason games. What more could any reasonable football fan want to see from X this preseason before they say, "Hmmm, this kid has a chance, maybe I was wrong about him."

2. "Team B" drafts a kid at #3. Any reasonable NFL fan can see the talent the kid has. He's got size, mobility, a good arm, and a great demeanor. The kid starts from Day 1, but struggles, albeit without much help around him. He gets hurt/benched for three games, then to his credit comes back and has 3 excellent games before ending the season on a down note the final week. Is it really unfair to say about him "He seems good but he hasn't proven anything yet"?

I look at both examples as an honest asessment of both players thus far.

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Let's look at this either of two ways, both of which I think are fair. In order to do that, let's take the words "Giants", and "Jets" out of this.

1. Like most people, I thought player X was over drafted. I thought "team A" could have got him at #17. That said, he was a QB, and they liked him, so there was that. He does really well in his first 3 preseason games. What more could any reasonable football fan want to see from X this preseason before they say, "Hmmm, this kid has a chance, maybe I was wrong about him."

2. "Team B" drafts a kid at #3. Any reasonable NFL fan can see the talent the kid has. He's got size, mobility, a good arm, and a great demeanor. The kid starts from Day 1, but struggles, albeit without much help around him. He gets hurt/benched for three games, then to his credit comes back and has 3 excellent games before ending the season on a down note the final week. Is it really unfair to say about him "He seems good but he hasn't proven anything yet"?

Sounds fair but the thought process of why I would be angry as a Giants fan runs deeper. 

I dont think Jones is anywhere near the prospect that Darnold was coming out of school.  Darnold was the top QB of an historically deep class.  Jones was the third of a ridiculously weak draft.  Darnold has the stronger, more accurate arm coming out of school.  You call it 3 excellent games but the fact is over the last 4 games he was the best QB in the league. 

But my main issue isnt that Gettleman fell in love when he had to fall in love with someone give his miss on what Eli had left, its his extreme fail in believing anyone was going to steal him away from the Giants lower first or second round pick.  He could have drafted Allen and Jones but he out thought himself.  Yes the Giants have Barkley but the Jets have Darnold and Bell.  The difference between the two RBs?  I dont know which I pick over the other off of talent.  Obviously Bells older.  

I'll take the better QB and a RB who is more productive over the last 5 seasons than any other back in football and Darnold with his talent 

And leaves me extremely happy how it worked out.  Of course the other issue?  I dont care if Giants fans are happy or not, I and all Jets fans should be extremely happy.  I could care that they got Jones anymore than I care that Baker fangirls are happy for Cleveland 

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sounds fair but the thought process of why I would be angry as a Giants fan runs deeper. 

I dont think Jones is anywhere near the prospect that Darnold was coming out of school.  Darnold was the top QB of an historically deep class.  Jones was the third of a ridiculously weak draft.  Darnold has the stronger, more accurate arm coming out of school.  You call it 3 excellent games but the fact is over the last 4 games he was the best QB in the league. 

But my main issue isnt that Gettleman fell in love when he had to fall in love with someone give his miss on what Eli had left, its his extreme fail in believing anyone was going to steal him away from the Giants lower first or second round pick.  He could have drafted Allen and Jones but he out thought himself.  Yes the Giants have Barkley but the Jets have Darnold and Bell.  The difference between the two RBs?  I dont know which I pick over the other off of talent.  Obviously Bells older.  

I'll take the better QB and a RB who is more productive over the last 5 seasons than any other back in football and Darnold with his talent 

And leaves me extremely happy how it worked out.  Of course the other issue?  I dont care if Giants fans are happy or not, I and all Jets fans should be extremely happy.  I could care that they got Jones anymore than I care that Baker fangirls are happy for Cleveland 

I agree with everything you said here. There's no doubt Darnold was/is the better prospect and we have him. I love your final paragraph, it's exactly how Jets fans should feel. Some people get upset with me here and call me a "Giants fan" when I question them for taking shots at Gettleman or Jones. It's not that I care about either of them, I just don't get how belittling either of them helps make a Jet fan feel better about the Jets.

I love Mayfield, but come week 2 I'll hate him, because he's playing the Jets. They're the team I root for, and they're the team I worry about. It really doesn't matter to me if the Giants go 16-0, or 0-16 unless we're playing them. In my opinion, when we talk crap about the Giants, we're feeding into that "little brother" stuff, and I hate that sh*t. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I think the Jets will keep Montgomery as a RB and I think McGuire is pretty much a goner. Just the fact that Cannon is on the field regularly on special teams while McGuire is on the sideline doing nothing really hurts McGuire. Then Cannon showed that if he got some decent blocking he can gash the defense. That may have solidified his spot. So IMO its going to be Bell, Mont., Powell, Cannon. With 6 WRs- Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Bellamy, Burnett, Dortch  

How many total players would you see them keeping on offense?

You've got 10 guys there with any TE's, OLine or QB.  I think we'll max out at about 26.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

it might be as good as it's going to get but it's not fine. 

it's 1 good starter and 2 dime backs maybe? it's not hard for a QB like Brees or Brady to find the weak link all game  

they are going to get shredded and expecting Sam Darnold to outscore everyone as a 22 year old with like 3 weapons (robby, crowder and Bell) is probably too much to ask

Its fine.  Its not championship level but its not what we have been seeing in the preseason. The truth is we are not going anywhere this year.  The CB's are going to have a rough go. That's all fine.  This year is about the install of an entirely new philosophy, system and players. I'm much more concerned with Sam staying healthy and progressing than stressing over the corners. I'm hoping we can win more than lose this year but I don't have inflated ideas on who we are just yet. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

first things first, there are no CBs coming on cut down day. Put that delusion out of your mind. Every contending team needs 3 or 4 starting quality CBs. The Jets have 1 starter Trumaine Johnson and he's hurt. No one good is getting cut to help out. Marcus Cooper is on Kickoff coverage right now. 

#45 LB Neville Hewitt was targeted - Kamara out of the backfield is his responsibility. He held up once but the Saints picked on him and  when that didn't work they went at the rookie #35 Tevaughn Campbell (who?) - this Williamson injury does hurt and so does the lack of CBs. There's no easy fix for either.   

ty montgomery's fumble is the reason that dude is 26 years old and on like his 3rd team in 4 years. He's a WR playing RB of course people can strip him. 

even without KO in the lineup the line is much better than last year and those who still say the line is a problem aren't really watching closely. 

doesn't gase have like a really high play calling trend toward 3rd and long draws? I thought I read that somewhere or perhaps it was a hallucination

No team targets a player on an opposing team in the pre-season, that is just ridiculous.  There are no injury reports, teams don't game plan for opponents, and if they do, it's extremely basic, to think the Saints targeted a player with Williamson getting hurt is bonkers.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, KRL said:

The Jets are not on the Saints level as a team and on initial 
watch this game "felt" like a mismatch.  But on review it wasn't
as bad as I thought, even though there's still a ton to work on:

- An awful slopfest of a game which wasn't helped by an officiating
crew who must've been paid by the flag

- NO first offensive series was a clinic by Brees, Kamara and Thomas
as they marched down the field for a TD.  But for a crew who threw 
30 flags, they missed an obvious offensive pass interference.  Neville
Hewitt came up to cover Kamara on a wheel route and was blocked for an
obvious penalty.  Nothing was called which led to a key 30+ yard gain
on the drive

- In Hewitt's first start since replacing Avery Williamson, he showed
good coverage as he stayed with Kamara on the previously mentioned
play.  And then later broke up a TD on a Brees pass to their TE (Griffin?)

- Brian Poole had a good game in coverage and showed his physicality as
he put a couple of big hits on NO receivers.  But he should've had an INT
on the Brees to Thomas (20+ yard) throw on their TD drive

- Still waiting on Quinnen Williams to get his first sack, but again he
drew multiple holding penalties and had a couple of QB hits

- Jordan Jenkins was very active off the edge and in NO backfield a number
of times.  In the final year of his rookie deal can he build off of 2018
(7 sacks) and break out?

- Alex Brown built off his performance in the ATL game.  He was picked on
multiple times but held up well in coverage.  He had multiple PBU's, drew
an offensive pass interference penalty and displayed his solid tackling
skills.  Can he keep this up and increase the depth at the CB spot?

- For the first time the OLine struggled particularly up the middle, as
there was way too many hits on Sam Darnold

- Ty Montgomery's fumble disrupted the flow of the offense as it prevented
them from getting enough reps.  It took until the #1's final drive of the
night before they looked like they did in the NYG and ATL games

- Good to see Darnold struggle early and recover before leaving the game.
Think about how far the team has come at the position when the QB can be
8/13 for 97 yards and 1 TD yet he "struggled"

- Good "building block" game for Robby Anderson.  As he continued to show
diversity in his routes, beating Lattimore on an out.  And adjusting to a
slight underthrow on a vertical from Darnold (40+ yards)

- Greg Dortch won the punt return job with that 30+ yarder.  Showing excellent
balance and wiggle

- Taylor Bertolet keeps himself in the kicker discussion with a bounce back
game.  Two FG's from long distance (49 + 56) opened my eyes

- Trenton Cannon probably had his best game from the line of scrimmage.  As he
finally found holes and utilized his speed to break off a couple of nice runs

- Finally Luke Falk has taken the #3 QB spot, what took so long??? 

Nice summary. I didn’t see the game. Blacked out. Preseason is all about picking the final roster. I’m not concerned about W vs L. I’m not concerned about the Offensive and Defensive schemes. They are not gonna show their hand in any way, shape or form. With Bell in the offense the opposing defense will have a totally different look. No need to panic....... yet.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lith said:

This was the perfect pre-season matchup for us.  Secondary is banged up and what better opportunity to see what some of these kids can do than to play a NO team that threw the ball 45 times last night.  Put as much stress on these guys as we can in August to see who can play (Brown/Poole) and who can't (Nickerson/Bryant).  Still think we add a couple of CBs after cut down day, but a game like yesterday, win or lose, is exactly what the CS needed to see.  Saints are a bad matchup for a team with weaknesses in the ssecondary, but that is exactly what makes them a good preseason matchup.

I love KRL, but his observations this time are too targeted.  This game was a great test for the team, with multiple key players out.  I even like the fumble and the team getting down early 10-0 early to see how they would respond.  For, they responded in a big way and tied the game in the 3rd quarter when by that time all depth players were on the field.  The Jets played the Saints tough, and hung with them.  Sure, Brees didn't play that much, but they have had success all pre-season long and I though the Jets showed some grit both offensively and defensively.

We can debate on individual player performance, but taking this game and forshadowing for the season is nuts, it's completely irrelevant.  The real evaluation should be done in the first 4 weeks, and there will be growing pains because it's a young team new coaching staff, and we will have key players coming back from injury (i.e. Winters, Osemele, Williams), players working themselves back (Bell, Kalil).  

For me, I was excited about the team coming back to tie the game, then I look at individual player performances and their performance trend in the pre-season.

Seeing Bertolet have the game he had was huge.

Seeing Robbie Anderson improve his route running was nice to see...

Seeing the potential Montgomery has in this offense continues to be encouraging.

I thought the young DB's played well.  I thought Campbell, Brown #25, both showed up.

The LB's that stood out last night were Hewitt, Jenkins, Langi, Burgess, and McClellan (ST's).

It was interesting to see the players that got on the field with the starters and with the 2nd team.  Langi was one of them, he got on the field early.  McClellan immediately showed up when he was out there. Burgess came in after Langi but was on the field with Cashman.  I thought Cashman looked timid at first, but once he had confidence with his leg, I thought he stood out.

DL play for me was fun to watch.  Continued development of Q.  I think there is a real roster battle for 2 spots been played about by Fatukasi, Kaufusi, and Shepherd.  I think it's close, but Shepherd looks to be the guy that's behind.  #98 K Phillips for me shows up, didi t last night, and against the Falcons last week.

I thought Shell being back solidified line play.  Our OL is drastically improved and deeper.

The punter battle is interesting, it's a real battle that none of the beats are even talking about.  Edwards is my choice, but both appear to be really competing...

I think Gase wants Webb to get the #3, has better physical tools, but is simply not executing.  Falk is meh for me, he manages the game, but doesn't really see the field well for me.  Good chance #3 QB is not on the roster, or that only 2 make the active roster to start with a QB being put on the PS.

This last week should be crazy, and I don't rule anything out, a major trade, a ton of moves, etc.

Overall, I think the team is where it needs to be, and the potential of a playoff season is still very much plausible.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He's the real deal. Should only get better.  The DLine is clearly the strength of the defense.  I think we'll see more 4-3 than expected, and that's a good thing.  Keeping all of McClendon, Leo, QW and Anderson on the field over somebody like Hewitt or Wint could be a good idea.

Would be interesting to see if the Jets get an extension done with him prior to the season.  Might be good for both the Jets and for Jenkins as there's always injury risk and his price could go up if he has another good year.  If preseason is any indiction he looks like a building block on D, very good but not spectacular....the kind of guy you really need to keep following his rookie deal into his mid/late 20's.

It was ugly and worrisome but I have to remind myself that those guys SHOULDN'T be our starters.  Really need KO and Winters back, and the Kalil situation will be interesting if the Jets actually feel that Harrison could be as good or better than him right now, even if only because of the playbook knowledge and being in better shape.

Who else is in the discussion?  I thought he was only talking to himself right now.

Nice to see Cannon step up rather than simply have Eli McGuire lose the job by doing nothing.  I didn't want to see RB4 decided as who is the best of these terrible guys.  With Cannon I think there's at least some hope and of course some ST ability. 

McGuire is the better RB over Cannon, but Cannon has more tools and plays ST's, McGuire does not playing ST's.

Cannon is making the team, he looked good last night and I see a player whose confidence is growing.  He still runs like a 15 year old on a growth spurt who hasn't figured out his maturing body yet, but looked more poised last night.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

How many total players would you see them keeping on offense?

You've got 10 guys there with any TE's, OLine or QB.  I think we'll max out at about 26.

6WR+ 4RB + 9 O-line + 2QB + 3 TEs= 24

26 on D

3 specials (K, P, snapper) 

• Upvote 1

My biggest takeaway was that the new Gotham green jersey is hideous when paired with the Christmas ball green helmet. The green jersey doesn't match at all, in fact it looks washed out and faded when paired with the new helmet. 

We should go Dallas-style, and wear the white jersey at home with the green pants, and the white ones on the road. Use the all blacks for night games, and put the green ones in mothballs. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Not fair at all.

He didn’t blanket struggle before the injury. He had three great games: Det, Den, Ind. Two good games: Mia 1, chi. Two mediocre games: Min, Cle. And two bad games: Jax, Mia 2. 

While being the youngest day 1 starter in NFL history. With a center that couldn’t snap him the ball. With his top 3 receivers injured at times. Terrell Pryor was his go to guy. The WORST group of staring RBs in the league. And to call playing a turnover free game vs the super bowl champs on the road a “down note”? Please, he was the highest rated QB the last for weeks- even if you include the NE game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I've been pleased with QW so far, and he wasn't the pick I wanted at 3, Josh Allen was.

I'm not looking to argue here, but hat said, let's nip this "he's really a one year guy, it's gonna take time" stuff in the bud. I was ok with that reasoning last year with a QB taken with the 3rd pick. Picking a DL at #3 though, that same sh*t ain't gonna fly again this year. The draft was loaded where we needed help on D, and we had better get immediate production from the guy we took that high. Enough with the "he's gotta develop" stuff please.

I agree completely .....except the part where you are pleased with him so far. It's VERY early of course but I haven't seen didly. In fact I had some concerns about picking a 1 year starter that early in the draft. I LOVE his personality but I haven't seen anything from his play that has me thinking he was a good pick at 3....not yet.

oh and I wanted Josh Allen too

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I agree completely .....except the part where you are pleased with him so far. It's VERY early of course but I haven't seen didly. In fact I had some concerns about picking a 1 year starter that early in the draft. I LOVE his personality but I haven't seen anything from his play that has me thinking he was a good pick at 3....not yet.

oh and I wanted Josh Allen too

I’ve got to be honest, I’m with you in that he hasn’t been impressive so far to me either. The truth is, I started a thread questioning whether Polite was a bust a few days ago, and I’ve also mentioned that Wesco hasn’t done a thing either.

I was taking the high road (or cowardly way out,lol) with QW, just to avoid the grief of dealing with any more pushback.

• Thumb Down 1

47 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Not fair at all.

He didn’t blanket struggle before the injury. He had three great games: Det, Den, Ind. Two good games: Mia 1, chi. Two mediocre games: Min, Cle. And two bad games: Jax, Mia 2. 

While being the youngest day 1 starter in NFL history. With a center that couldn’t snap him the ball. With his top 3 receivers injured at times. Terrell Pryor was his go to guy. The WORST group of staring RBs in the league. And to call playing a turnover free game vs the super bowl champs on the road a “down note”? Please, he was the highest rated QB the last for weeks- even if you include the NE game.

I have to plead the 5th here, I don’t know what you’re talking about here. ? The player on team B was a hypothetical one, no name was ever mentioned.

Im not sure, but you seem to be talking about Sam Darnold. I don’t think he’s relevant to this conversation.

@Jet Nut Maybe you can help. Do you have any idea why nico is confusing the two?

The QW slander is funny dude has shown the ability to penetrate in multiple ways from different spots on the line in his limited playing time...

I see the 90% of the people that wanted Ed Oliver have gone quiet around here . Must be due to fact dude didn’t have one stat outside of 1 pass deflection in preseason. But he is still very well taking on double teams head first with Limited hand technique to disengage . 

Josh Allen plays decent vs one of the worst teams in the league backups and now he is a god around here. 

So far from what I seen all these players are playing up to there scouting reports . 

This fan base is so odd at times . 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Agreed.

enunwa=jag

herndon out for 4 games, probably trying to adjust to this

no bell, so defenses are not challenged on how to cover him and Monty out of backfield

also think there will be 4 wr sets with Burnett and perhaps even dortch at some point

draw on 3rd and 12 told me they’re holding back the offense in preseason

I think Gase shut the first team offense down play selection wise

• Upvote 1

Plenty of examples of teams cutting players they should not have. Poor evaluation happens all the time. They should be looking for a player to develop

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

16 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

What play did Williams get fined for? 

Watch this video they show it twice once at the 1 second mark Matt Schaub #8 getting buried

and again at like the 1:40 mark - from that angle you can see how the crown of #95 may have/probably did contact the facemask of #8 

Baldy calls it the chest the world may never know 

On 8/25/2019 at 3:21 PM, CanadaSteve said:

YEEEEEAHHH....

So, the guy who gave this a butt fumble....You think Daniel Jones is going to be a star in the league?  He is looking right now worse then our sixth rounder in Luke Falk. 

On 8/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, ASH1962 said:

I honestly thought they looked timid, and maybe even a little spooked last night considering the Williamson injury and other league wide PS injuries. I take absolutely nothing out of anything I have seen this PS TBH, in fact I will say overall, this PS has been the most tough to watch of any I can ever remember. The quality of play is dreadful. We all know once the real games start, the NFL is a totally different game than it is in the PS. Like flipping on a light switch to a more intense, faster, and much more competitive game then the absolute crap we see in August.

Some observations:

This new PI replay crap will now make these games go on forever and allow for more revenue with more idiotic ad's. This 10 second ad crap, 30 second ad crap will drive us all nuts too. Love to be sitting out in the rain / snow freeaing my a$$ off in November having to endure all of these game delays.

Kicker had a good night and eased my mind a bit. Still not 100% sure about Bertolet though as most of his kick offs are short, but he kicked a lot better last night. That 56 yarder was nice, was not expecting him to make that one. Hopefully one less thing to worry about.

Secondary and defense have the chance to be historically bad. GW will definitely have to earn his paycheck to keep us competitive this season. While they did cover NO receivers, Brees cut them to shreds. Someone has to tell our DB's that they need to turn around and find the football once in a while. Having a lot of Donald Dykes flashbacks watching the backs of these guys run around chasing opponent WR's.

Sam took an inordinate amount of hits last night due to our OL not being intact. A small worry, but now that its over and we came out reasonably healthy its all systems go for opening day. Was #81 dressed last night?

Cannon looked great yesterday against 2nd and 3rd's, but still did enough to make the team for KR's I believe. Dortch will be our PR.

LW still gets manhandled at the point of attack. QW reminds me of #73 in that he finds a way to wiggle through the OL into the offensive backfield. No I am not saying he is #73. Hoping between the 2 and Anderson we can generate some semblance of a pass rush.

What is so disappointing is this organization has spent the last 10 years drafting defensive players and we still have a poor defense. We will be spending a lot more picks and FA money on defense over the next few years as well I am afraid, and I just hope JD holds true to form and does not ignore the offense as past regimes did.

Having watched this team and the NFL for close to half of a century, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea what we are going to be lol. Could be really good and win 10-11 games, could be really bad and lose 10-11 games although I doubt it will ever get as bad as it has been over the past few seasons. Hoping that once we get #26 into the fold, and get Kalil and Osemele back, it will definitely change things drastically on offense.

While we are very thin at DB right now , I don't think what we've seen in PS is indicative of how the defense will play and how Williams will scheme for the opponent. Williams unlike Bowles will try different tactics and personnel. 

• Upvote 1