My feeling is Jets have razor thin ability to be .500 this year

Alka

I understand the glass half full/half empty mentality, but the Jets were exposed last night and I believe will be an indication of what lies ahead this year.

We have no real depth at cornerback, and right now, I am not confident that our injured starters will slide right in and do the job when healthy.  Jets were summarily ripped open last night by the first team offense of the Saints, and wasn't even a contest.  

Next, our offensive line was nowhere in opening up holes for the running backs, and Darnold was pressured when throwing.  How can we expect our 34 year old center and injured left and right guards to step right in and make everything alright?

I think it is reasonable to expect that the health of these players will not be able to hold up all year, and our lack of depth will come back to bite us.

I believe we are a legitimate 7 win team this year, and any "experts" thinking we make the playoffs don't know what they are talking about. 

The only reason we may win 8 games is because the Phins and Bills are mediocre at best, and we should get 3 wins just from playing them.

McCagnon did some good things this past offseason, but he fell short big-time with offensive line and cornerback position, and he doomed us for a step up to mediocrity for this coming year.

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 9
  • WTF? 2

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’ve always felt/said that we need 1 more offseason and now that we have a solid GM and a good coach for Darnold, we have a chance to be good next year. I fully except 7-9 to 9-7 this year to show that we are primed for that next step. I’ve felt that we are more of a 7-9 team. We just have too many holes at the key positions that make teams great. That’s why premium positions matter (pass rusher, OL, CB, WR).

Progress and darnold taking the next step is most important. Then he can tear it up with a better roster next year. That’s when we should have high expectations and I really like what I’ve seen from Darnold so far. You can see the difference already and that’s all that we can ask for. It’s going to be an exciting year of JETS football. 

I'm with you completely!  Thank g-d we don't have to play the Saints this year.  I think they are for real!!

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

So because they had a bad quarter they are only going to win against the lesser teams in the NFL... Got it... Amazing analysis

Sorry for my lack of positivity, but I have been an avid Jets fan for 50 years now, and I have learned through the years that football is the ultimate "team" sport.  

Do you know what I have learned over those 50 years?  If 17 of our 22 starters are really good, but the other 5 are below average, then the team will suck!  

Forgive me, but that is what I'm seeing from my Jets this year.  I really want to be wrong. But I have been wrong more than I've been right, and when I'm wrong, it's more so when I'm predicting the Jets to be really, really good.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Jets fans expecting playoffs in 2019 are engaging in hopeful behavior

Jetnation posters downvoting the original poster are going to be in for a rude awakening when the games start

and guys like @warfish are straight up masochists who enjoy being in pain 

they have to face Brady 2x in the division with no cornerbacks. How TF is that going to work? Unless the DTs really do beast out this is a 7 or 8 win team on paper

and you know what? a four win improvement and .500 would be a step forward not a disappointment. This is how programs are built

if Coach smelling salts can get this team to .500 he did a good job 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3

Really? It was 10-7 when Sam left. Yes slow start. Corners are still having issues I get that. Some things you left out 

a) Sam is still playing well and will be in the game for 4 qtrs when the real stuff starts

b) there’s this guy named mr bell. Oh yea he will be on the field

c) do you think we are Gona show all our best blitz packages in pre season?

d) saw a huge improvement in our kicking game with a 49 and 56 yarder in

e) the saints went to the nfc chapionship and drew brees is one of the best. Yes he played one series but Josh Allen and the bills aren’t drew and the saints

i get jet fans wanting to damper expectations but I do believe we are Gona at least double our wins aka 8 wins 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

As long as they’re competitive this year, maybe just maybe, they’re playing meaningful games come December.

that’s all we can expect for 2019.

Exactly.  This is a 7-9 win team.  Play some meaningful games in December; maybe catch a break or two and sneak in as a wild card.  As long as the games mean something other than draft position in December, and Sam is the player we all think/hope he will be, it will be a solid season.

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

I understand the glass half full/half empty mentality, but the Jets were exposed last night and I believe will be an indication of what lies ahead this year.

We have no real depth at cornerback, and right now, I am not confident that our injured starters will slide right in and do the job when healthy.  Jets were summarily ripped open last night by the first team offense of the Saints, and wasn't even a contest.  

Next, our offensive line was nowhere in opening up holes for the running backs, and Darnold was pressured when throwing.  How can we expect our 34 year old center and injured left and right guards to step right in and make everything alright?

I think it is reasonable to expect that the health of these players will not be able to hold up all year, and our lack of depth will come back to bite us.

I believe we are a legitimate 7 win team this year, and any "experts" thinking we make the playoffs don't know what they are talking about. 

The only reason we may win 8 games is because the Phins and Bills are mediocre at best, and we should get 3 wins just from playing them.

McCagnon did some good things this past offseason, but he fell short big-time with offensive line and cornerback position, and he doomed us for a step up to mediocrity for this coming year.

McCoffee should be brought up on criminal charges for not addressing the O line during his run as GM. He left this team with too many holes and seemed like he was drafting without any kind of a plan. Now we did just face maybe the best team in football and it did take pin point passing from Brees to effectively move the ball on us. I don't think we play many teams on their level this season. Can we compete on the Saints level this season - No. Can we compete with most of the AFC - I think so. I definitely think Gase needs to go to Robbie A early to open up the field for our offense. Maybe Gase was just not wanting to show anything I don't know but as soon as we started to go to Robbie the offense became a lot better. Jets need all the help they can get and a smart offensive game plan is a must. If Gase can't do that then Jets will be in the sh*tter.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets have more than enough talent to be a playoff team. 

I'm so tired of all the fan excuses and low expectations, most of them veiled preemptive excuse-making/nervousness over Sam Darnold (same as all the endless Giant threads and Baker Mayfield threads....).

.500 should be the minimum expectation for 2019.  They fail to get there, thats a BAD season, a dissapointment, something we should be critical of, not a good season or some half-ass moral victory.   

This team, without question, has enough talent to get the playoffs.  Anything less than that should be a disappointment.

Teams turn around very quickly in the NFL and It looks as if Sam has made a very nice second year jump and with that alone the Jets should be a perennial playoff contender. 

• Upvote 1

The Saints are back-to-back champs imo.  I wouldn't read too much into things after that one. It was a great game actually in terms of smacking the Jets in the face though.  Just in case they were a little too happy with themselves.

It's going to take a while until this team can compete with the elite teams.  Luckily we open vs Buffalo.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This team, without question, has enough talent to get the playoffs.  Anything less than that should be a disappointment.

Teams turn around very quickly in the NFL and It looks as if Sam has made a very nice second year jump and with that alone the Jets should be a perennial playoff contender. 

Our secondary has zero talent therefore the roster overall lacks talent to make the playoffs 

13 minutes ago, Alka said:

Sorry for my lack of positivity, but I have been an avid Jets fan for 50 years now, and I have learned through the years that football is the ultimate "team" sport.  

Do you know what I have learned over those 50 years?  If 17 of our 22 starters are really good, but the other 5 are below average, then the team will suck!

As an old coach used to tell us...on defense, you’re only as strong as your weakest link.

I’m always too optimistic on the jets this time of year so it was good to have a splash of reality. I hope you are dead wrong but good to hear the other side to balance things out.

Still, look at how far we’ve come in 12 months...trend is good and they will be fun to watch.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Its preseason you can’t fully judge when scheme is half assed and so many starters are out.

I also thought our D did a decent job against one of the most potent offenses in the league. 

Your concerns are legit though, but I don’t think we need to panic yet.

If the most positive thing you can say about the defense is they didn’t give up 40 points in the first quarter this is a bad defense

Offensively we will be good but this pass defense is attrocius

TRADE 4 CLOWNEY 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Perfect example of what I'm talking about.  Now a 7-9 seasons is a "victory", so we can all jerk off in the next offseason over the new regime, instead of actually expecting anything from them.  Loser talk for losers.  The NFL equivalent of beaten wife syndrome.

so just to be clear you expect a 4 win team to win 9 or 10 games, get to the playoffs with Tom Brady in the division. 

look at the schedule - they'd basically have to sweep Buffalo and Miami to get there. 

unrealistic expectations, Fish

they are still like 15 mil under the cap by the way and the USWNT soccer team has better place kickers than the Jets 

I dont think preseason is a great evaluator of what the team will look like during the season. The offense's & defense's aren't gonna show there full playbook. Everything will be schemed differently in the regular season. With that said the Jets should be competing for atleast a playoff berth. The talent & coaching is there. As long as everything meshes together this team should have a successful season. 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans expecting playoffs in 2019 are engaging in hopeful behavior

Jetnation posters downvoting the original poster are going to be in for a rude awakening when the games start

and guys like @warfish are straight up masochists who enjoy being in pain 

they have to face Brady 2x in the division with no cornerbacks. How TF is that going to work? Unless the DTs really do beast out this is a 7 or 8 win team on paper

and you know what? a four win improvement and .500 would be a step forward not a disappointment. This is how programs are built

if Coach smelling salts can get this team to .500 he did a good job 

So youre saying if I whine and cry about how we'll suck because we always suck and our players always suck and the schedule is tough etc there will be less pain if we dont finish at a lofty .500 win %?

I'd rather watch more baseball that moan and groan and dream up losing scenarios for my football team.  But hey, thats me

1 minute ago, FlightBoyz said:

I dont think preseason is a great evaluator of what the team will look like during the season. The offense's & defense's aren't gonna show there full playbook. Everything will be schemed differently in the regular season. With that said the Jets should be competing for atleast a playoff berth. The talent & coaching is there. As long as everything meshes together this team should have a successful season. 

We already knew we had zero pass rush (again) and a bad secondary

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Perfect example of what I'm talking about.  Now a 7-9 seasons is a "victory", so we can all jerk off in the next offseason over the new regime, instead of actually expecting anything from them.  Loser talk for losers.  The NFL equivalent of beaten wife syndrome.

I'm sorry I don't know you Warfish, but are you a Motivational Speaker for a living?  

You are very inspirational.  It gives me hope that I am just a loser, and the Jets really will be a good team this year, as you predict.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

so just to be clear you expect a 4 win team to win 9 or 10 games, get to the playoffs with Tom Brady in the division. 

look at the schedule - they'd basically have to sweep Buffalo and Miami to get there. 

unrealistic expectations, Fish

they are still like 15 mil under the cap by the way and the USWNT soccer team has better place kickers than the Jets 

I think this fan base has been so QB starved that most don't realize how competitive a team is when they have a legitimate weapon at the QB position.  4 wins to 10 wins is without question possible and should be expected - when you take Sam's progress and then add in major upgrades at at least 6 of the 22 starting players.

2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Trumaine Johnson is our most important player. 3 subs were on the O Line last night

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The 3 subs last night on the O line might be something we can expect in the regular season.

Those 3 were subbing for the following players:

1. a 34 year old center who has not yet played 1 down this entire preseason.

2. a right guard in Winters who played hurt all last season, and is out hurt now

3. A very good left guard who has a history of being out hurt in recent years.

One of those so-called subs was Harrison at center, and from what I saw, didn't play very well.

8-8 has been my expectation since the draft, I do not think the Jets were exposed at all, they are what they are, a .500 team that has a shot to make the playoffs if they get lucky and/or Sam catches fire 

draft should have focused on Sam since his development is required to take this team to the next level - (Mac was fired for a reason)

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’ve always felt/said that we need 1 more offseason and now that we have a solid GM and a good coach for Darnold, we have a chance to be good next year. I fully except 7-9 to 9-7 this year to show that we are primed for that next step. I’ve felt that we are more of a 7-9 team. We just have too many holes at the key positions that make teams great. That’s why premium positions matter (pass rusher, OL, CB, WR).

Progress and darnold taking the next step is most important. Then he can tear it up with a better roster next year. That’s when we should have high expectations and I really like what I’ve seen from Darnold so far. You can see the difference already and that’s all that we can ask for. It’s going to be an exciting year of JETS football. 

As you are saying, I also remember how many preseasons all we scored were FGs and now we score TDs in every game. Hey, on a great note last night FGs/Extra points were all made and some deep FGs. Also, Cannon looked good at RBs would some good fast and even tough runs. Should be good enough for him to be 3rd RB along with him on STs. And, the Williams duo on Dline looked good.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So youre saying if I whine and cry about how we'll suck because we always suck and our players always suck and the schedule is tough etc there will be less pain if we dont finish at a lofty .500 win %?

I'd rather watch more baseball that moan and groan and dream up losing scenarios for my football team.  But hey, thats me

I'm never going to tell anyone how to root for (or against) this team. I will say this though your lucky shirt or your faith in them doesn't mean jack squat. They aren't Santa Claus in ELF. they don't need our wishes and faith to fly the sled

they do need to spend to the cap however. Teams like the Eagles and Saints do it every year. The Jets haven't done it since 2011.  

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this fan base has been so QB starved that most don't realize how competitive a team is when they have a legitimate weapon at the QB position.  4 wins to 10 wins is without question possible and should be expected - when you take Sam's progress and then add in major upgrades at at least 6 of the 22 starting players.

they are better... they are not 6 wins better

too many positions are staffed by non-starters 

including TE with Herndon suspended 4 games for being stupid  

expecting 10 wins is greedy, straight up 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Exposed ? Keep in mind one of the most dynamic players in the NFL was not on the field. Also Keep in mind all of what you are seeing is very vanilla crap designed to have the players execute and evaluate that execution. This team will be learning an offense probably through the first 4 + games during the season. This team will truly be evaluated during the second half of 2019. I would say if we can catch a few breaks early and get some wins watch out during the second half when this team is cranking on all cylinders thats when its time to judge not during the preseason