My feeling is Jets have razor thin ability to be .500 this year

Alka

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm never going to tell anyone how to root for (or against) this team. I will say this though your lucky shirt or your faith in them doesn't mean jack squat. They aren't Santa Claus in ELF. they don't need our wishes and faith to fly the sled

they do need to spend to the cap however. Teams like the Eagles and Saints do it every year. The Jets haven't done it since 2011.  

they are better... they are not 6 wins better

too many positions are staffed by non-starters 

including TE with Herndon suspended 4 games for being stupid  

expecting 10 wins is greedy, straight up 

You're right we do need to spend to the cap but this is also the time some solid vets will shake loose better to be patient and have the money to spend on those vets than to already have blown the load

I totally agree.  Horrible front office decisions in the past have crippled this team.  Doesn't matter who is coaching when the talent level is so poor.  We have a below average offensive line, an inconsistent pass rush at best, and the worst corners in the NFL., possible NFL history.  Elite QBs like Brees and Brady will carve up the Jets defense with ease.  This is the time of year when Jet fans have hope because they are not actually playing games.  Pre-season, however, can expose a team.  Last night, the Jets were exposed.  They can compete against the weaker teams but that's it.  Another year of losing and meaningless games after Halloween.  Would love to be wrong but I'm not.

You can't judge the entire team without the scheme! None of us really know what will transpire this year. Yes we all know we're weak at CB & have little depth on the Oline & guys are banged up but Le'veon Bell will be the best offensive player the Jets have had in years & he watched from the sideline. 

NFL players play 4 quarters when the season starts, which means we haven't even started picking on someone or blitzing the way we will come September. You think every team we play has pro bowlers at every position? You don't think we'll exploit bad rush defenses or Sam won't attack a weakness in our opponents secondary? 

How do we know that Sam doesn't pull a few rabbits out of his hat if the Jets are down 6 with 2 minutes left and does what he did at USC? He did that on the road in Buffalo last year. I personally think the league is watered down in general and anythings possible when you have a trigger man. Plus, don't forget to factor in the new PI rules & how those challenges could change our fortunes. I can't even tell you how many times I've watched my Jets lose games in the 4th quarter with either bogus PI calls vs Brady on 3rd & 16s, or non calls on Pats defenders in comeback tries. 

No one can tell me that this league & their officials havent been biased to underdogs like the Jets when he looks like there's an upset in the making. That new rule helps teams like the Jets now that we have a QB that can challenge a secondary deep, sideline to sideline & down the seams. 

Hell, I remember a game the Jets were winning in Gillette with Geno at QB & our DB was called for an interference on a 3rd & long desperation drive by Brady where the ref threw at flag & he was 25 yards from the play along the sidelines, I screamed WTF, as I was living in New England & watching with a roomful of Pats fans. They showed the replay & CLEARLY it was the Pats WR pushing off & all the Pats fans laughed & were like, better to be lucky, ha ha ha. Brady went on to score a TD & Jets lose again. That new rule in place keeps that from happening. Just might level the playing field a bit with these biased refs.

6 minutes ago, TMAC said:

I totally agree.  Horrible front office decisions in the past have crippled this team.  Doesn't matter who is coaching when the talent level is so poor.  We have a below average offensive line, an inconsistent pass rush at best, and the worst corners in the NFL., possible NFL history.  Elite QBs like Brees and Brady will carve up the Jets defense with ease.  This is the time of year when Jet fans have hope because they are not actually playing games.  Pre-season, however, can expose a team.  Last night, the Jets were exposed.  They can compete against the weaker teams but that's it.  Another year of losing and meaningless games after Halloween.  Would love to be wrong but I'm not.

Pretty definitive isn't it?

9 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Elite qbs carve most teams up with ease, that’s what makes them elite.

there’s a reason the jets keep drafting in the top 10, they’re bad.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Elite qbs carve most teams up with ease, that’s what makes them elite.

there’s a reason the jets keep drafting in the top 10, they’re bad.  

This is exactly why the Jets should be a playoff team.  Sam will be an Elite QB, if he's not already.

• Upvote 1

OP, I wouldn't say razor...or thin, but yeah there is always that chance with a sophomore QB, and a an team/org that never stays together long enough to gel and work hand in hand. Things will get better I promise you. Welcome to Eagles North, give it 2 more years to begin. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I'm with you completely!  Thank g-d we don't have to play the Saints this year.  I think they are for real!!

That’s the point honestly.  What  the Jets need to look like in a couple years. A seasoned team, built by a professional office, coached well and driven by a franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

so just to be clear you expect a 4 win team to win 9 or 10 games, get to the playoffs with Tom Brady in the division. 

look at the schedule - they'd basically have to sweep Buffalo and Miami to get there. 

unrealistic expectations, Fish

they are still like 15 mil under the cap by the way and the USWNT soccer team has better place kickers than the Jets 

Yes, I expect the Jets, with this talent, to compete every week, and win 8-9 games.  

Yes, I expect us to sweep Miami, absolutely, and at the least split with Buffalo, with a sweep a real possibility.  Buffalo isn't the Patriots.

And yes, I expect us to beat the Patriots at least once.  Stop sniffing Brady's jock, that team is absolutely beatable.

No more excuses.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Perfect example of what I'm talking about.  Now a 7-9 seasons is a "victory", so we can all jerk off in the next offseason over the new regime, instead of actually expecting anything from them.  Loser talk for losers.  The NFL equivalent of beaten wife syndrome.

all the positive thinking and winning attitude high expectations with a mediocre roster leads to winning talk alchemy.

no ones is calling it a victory. this team won 8 games in the last 32....  making a huge jump is a rarity.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I understand the glass half full/half empty mentality, but the Jets were exposed last night and I believe will be an indication of what lies ahead this year.

We have no real depth at cornerback, and right now, I am not confident that our injured starters will slide right in and do the job when healthy.  Jets were summarily ripped open last night by the first team offense of the Saints, and wasn't even a contest.  

Next, our offensive line was nowhere in opening up holes for the running backs, and Darnold was pressured when throwing.  How can we expect our 34 year old center and injured left and right guards to step right in and make everything alright?

I think it is reasonable to expect that the health of these players will not be able to hold up all year, and our lack of depth will come back to bite us.

I believe we are a legitimate 7 win team this year, and any "experts" thinking we make the playoffs don't know what they are talking about. 

The only reason we may win 8 games is because the Phins and Bills are mediocre at best, and we should get 3 wins just from playing them.

McCagnon did some good things this past offseason, but he fell short big-time with offensive line and cornerback position, and he doomed us for a step up to mediocrity for this coming year.

not for nothing but it's a preseason game and these guys are not the way they would during the season.  plus the guys in the game may not even start the season.  think chance to make 500?  the past 4 seasons were thin chances to make 500.  this team will be 500 and beyond.  don't be so surprised when they win 11.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

What's going on in this thread?  Making predictions on the season and beyond because of a preseason game?

Seems like a worthy conversation.

The Jets have won one more game over the last three years than the Saints won last year. The Saints are a Super Bowl contender, the Jets are in the fifth year of a rebuild and just fired their last contractor for lack of progress. The Saints should mop up the floor with the Jets. From what I saw (I was at work and not able to pay full attention), they weren't killed out there. They have the same holes we've been talking about for a long, long time; OL, CB, EDGE. Surprise? 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

You're right we do need to spend to the cap but this is also the time some solid vets will shake loose better to be patient and have the money to spend on those vets than to already have blown the load

The salary cap is broken into four year blocks where cap dollars carry from year to year. Next year is the last year of the current cycle. I have no problem with Joe Douglas leaving a little in the bank next year to help him land his free agents early in the next off season. But, yeah, no excuses not to spend to the brim next season. 

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, I expect the Jets, with this talent, to compete every week, and win 8-9 games.  

Yes, I expect us to sweep Miami, absolutely, and at the least split with Buffalo, with a sweep a real possibility.  Buffalo isn't the Patriots.

And yes, I expect us to beat the Patriots at least once.  Stop sniffing Brady's jock, that team is absolutely beatable.

No more excuses.  

On the one hand, you have no faith in Sam Darnold until he shows you something on the field (which you've said he hasn't yet), and on the other Jets fans should expect 8-9 wins this year or -what?- they impose their loser mentality onto the franchise?  

Here's the thing, the only way the Jets squeak past .500 this year is if Sam Darnold is Neo. He needs to pick up where he left off, improve over the course of the year, and tear up the second half of the schedule which, on paper, looks pretty beatable. And he has to do it behind an iffy line with a below average receiving corps. 

For the record, I think it's doable. I've been thinking .500 for a while. But that's faith in Adam Gase being better than Bowles (which seems safe), but, more importantly, on Darnold taking a second year leap along the lines of Wentz, Goff, Trubisky, etc. And it would be really helpful if the Joshes didn't have that second year leap, too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Something I found interesting that was posted today about Harrison and Khalil.

Apparently, Khalil said to Harrison, “I know this is awkward, but lets make the best of this and make a winning season.” Not “lets win a super bowl.”

You have to assume when Joe Douglas called Khalil they had candid talks about the team’s talent and expectations.

I think Douglas and Gase see the ceiling for this team as 9-7 / 10-6 with a chance at a Wild Card...which I agree with and think is more than reasonable is Darnold is who he seems to be this off season.

Not that far off from the OP’s take, I just don’t think we have a slim chance at .500. I think we should at least having a winning record.

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not for nothing but it's a preseason game and these guys are not the way they would during the season.  plus the guys in the game may not even start the season.  think chance to make 500?  the past 4 seasons were thin chances to make 500.  this team will be 500 and beyond.  don't be so surprised when they win 11.

I am a Jets fan like yourself.  Of course I want you to be right, but the Jets have no chance of winning 11 games this year.  4 wins to 11 wins in one year? With no improvement at Cornerback and no stud addition to our below average offensive line?  Not to mention our improvement at wide receiver is for a slot receiver, who will be very good, but not good enough to elevate us from 4 to 11 wins.  No legitimate tight end for the 1st 4 games?  Yes, great player in Bell, but he hasn't played in over a year. Without Avery Williamson, our Linebackers are okay with CJ Moseley, and we have Jordan Jenkins, but who else rocks your boat?  Wint? Luvu? Cashman? Copeland is suspended for 4 games.  Will Maye stay healthy this year? Do we really have a shot of beating New England (2 losses), Pittsburgh (1 loss), or Philadelphia (1 loss).  Do you really believe we will be 11-1 against everyone else?

11 games is not realistic, and if you were to be right, it would be a magical season.  And I mean magical!!  

Just don't understand how anyone can put any stock into anything they have seen in this PS. The offense will look 100% different once #26 gets into the games. Also, GW will (HAVE TO) scheme the living f**k out of this defense to its strengths and the opponents weaknesses, unlike the past CS who frankly, had no clue what they were doing.

Relax guys, its August the month to show NOTHING.

This board validates why the jets fanbase is seen nationally as one of the worst in sports.

”We dont have corners, we dont have pass rushers, we dont have 4th and 5th recievers.” Wah, wah, wah, wah.

What a bunch of whiney b!tches.

We are about to go 10-6 and have a kickass season.  Strap your balls back on and lets go!!

• Upvote 1

I think our offense is going to be really good when healthy, but I worry about the durability of our WRs. Darnold is a stud. Bell is a stud. The OL should be much improved. 

i think our defensive front 7 has a good amount of talent and will be good, but not great.

i think our corners are an abomination and could possibly be the weakest unit in the league. 

Hard for me to say what that makes us. 

6 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Just don't understand how anyone can put any stock into anything they have seen in this PS. The offense will look 100% different once #26 gets into the games. Also, GW will (HAVE TO) scheme the living f**k out of this defense to its strengths and the opponents weaknesses, unlike the past CS who frankly, had no clue what they were doing.

Relax guys, its August the month to show NOTHING.

What we have seen is real progress from Sam. He look's like he belongs out there. He has all the tools and seemingly the brains to go with them.

It's all about the QB and, finally...

This thread has all about conjecture. Here's some hard truth.

We're going to know very quickly what type of team this is. We open the season with two home games, against two teams we should be measured against. The Bills and the Browns. We all have QBs going into their second year. All 3 fan bases are hoping to see their QBs/teams take big steps forward, and if any one of them does, they could be good for a long time.

We are the home team in both those games, and good teams win home games. In my opinion 2-0 would obviously be optimal.  1-1 would be meh, 0-2 would be a disaster. Before week 3 we'll know what we have here though.

22 minutes ago, Alka said:

I am a Jets fan like yourself.  Of course I want you to be right, but the Jets have no chance of winning 11 games this year.  4 wins to 11 wins in one year? With no improvement at Cornerback and no stud addition to our below average offensive line?  Not to mention our improvement at wide receiver is for a slot receiver, who will be very good, but not good enough to elevate us from 4 to 11 wins.  No legitimate tight end for the 1st 4 games?  Yes, great player in Bell, but he hasn't played in over a year. Without Avery Williamson, our Linebackers are okay with CJ Moseley, and we have Jordan Jenkins, but who else rocks your boat?  Wint? Luvu? Cashman? Copeland is suspended for 4 games.  Will Maye stay healthy this year? Do we really have a shot of beating New England (2 losses), Pittsburgh (1 loss), or Philadelphia (1 loss).  Do you really believe we will be 11-1 against everyone else?

11 games is not realistic, and if you were to be right, it would be a magical season.  And I mean magical!!  

yes, i do see them beating new england, pitt and philly.  both new england and pitt are on the decline and philly had a magical season a couple of seasons back.  with the exception of new england and possibly pitt, most teams just aren't capable of staying at the top of the heap for more than a couple of seasons.  it does take a lot of magic in most cases.

so while people will look at the jets and maybe see lots of holes or a paucity of game changing talent, it all depends if the guys they have play the full 60 minutes and play smart.  a nice +10 turnover advantage will just about put them in the 10 win column.  the more the better.  and that not even considering the guys like bell who can be game changers and guys that scare the other teams.  those are good things.  keep the faith.

• Upvote 1

The 3 subs last night on the O line might be something we can expect in the regular season.
Those 3 were subbing for the following players:
1. a 34 year old center who has not yet played 1 down this entire preseason.
2. a right guard in Winters who played hurt all last season, and is out hurt now
3. A very good left guard who has a history of being out hurt in recent years.
One of those so-called subs was Harrison at center, and from what I saw, didn't play very well.

None of those guys are playing September 8. Best of all, they are nit playing together

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

Zzzz 

Exposed because the Saints scored a touchdown? Do you expect the team to be perfect all year? 

I thought our DBs has good coverage and Brees was fortunate not to have that ball in the left sideline picked.

Yes L Bell didn't play for the Jets.   Two exRaiders didn't play for the Saints last night.   Te Jared Cook would have opened up the Saints offense even more , as the Jets have no one that can cover him.   Rb l Murray didn't play either for the Saints.   Nice backup to Kamara .

Neither team game planned yesterday.    If this game was real , the Saints would have threw early and often on the Jets secondary.

You can say who needs CB, pass rushers , and an offense line.     When the games start for real you will quickly find out why those are very important positions in today's football. 

Jets have a chance for .500 more because of an easy schedule ( Afc East is a joke). 

42 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Yes L Bell didn't play for the Jets.   Two exRaiders didn't play for the Saints last night.   Te Jared Cook would have opened up the Saints offense even more , as the Jets have no one that can cover him.   Rb l Murray didn't play either for the Saints.   Nice backup to Kamara .

Neither team game planned yesterday.    If this game was real , the Saints would have threw early and often on the Jets secondary.

You can say who needs CB, pass rushers , and an offense line.     When the games start for real you will quickly find out why those are very important positions in today's football. 

Jets have a chance for .500 more because of an easy schedule ( Afc East is a joke). 

Just get the f*ck out here! Seriously, why do the mods let a Raider fan, (THE RAIDERS WHO HAVEN'T WON sh*t SINCE THE OWNER TURNED INTO THE CRYPT KEEPER & HIS SON LAST STARRED IN DUMB & DUMBER WITH THAT FACKING HAIRCUT) coming onto our Jets sight acting like he has insight we give a Sh*t about but spews the same sh*t every year about the Raiders & Hall of Famers at every f*cking position? 

Cut this guy off the sight. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alka said:

I understand the glass half full/half empty mentality, but the Jets were exposed last night and I believe will be an indication of what lies ahead this year.

We have no real depth at cornerback, and right now, I am not confident that our injured starters will slide right in and do the job when healthy.  Jets were summarily ripped open last night by the first team offense of the Saints, and wasn't even a contest.  

Next, our offensive line was nowhere in opening up holes for the running backs, and Darnold was pressured when throwing.  How can we expect our 34 year old center and injured left and right guards to step right in and make everything alright?

I think it is reasonable to expect that the health of these players will not be able to hold up all year, and our lack of depth will come back to bite us.

I believe we are a legitimate 7 win team this year, and any "experts" thinking we make the playoffs don't know what they are talking about. 

The only reason we may win 8 games is because the Phins and Bills are mediocre at best, and we should get 3 wins just from playing them.

McCagnon did some good things this past offseason, but he fell short big-time with offensive line and cornerback position, and he doomed us for a step up to mediocrity for this coming year.

The offense and defense is not dialed up in these games. Blitz schemes are not in place. Not worried at this point