My feeling is Jets have razor thin ability to be .500 this year

Alka

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, I expect the Jets, with this talent, to compete every week, and win 8-9 games.  

Yes, I expect us to sweep Miami, absolutely, and at the least split with Buffalo, with a sweep a real possibility.  Buffalo isn't the Patriots.

And yes, I expect us to beat the Patriots at least once.  Stop sniffing Brady's jock, that team is absolutely beatable.

No more excuses.  

With enough wins, would your jacking off then be a positive or negative thing? 

15 years ago, I witnessed the Jets make the playoffs with a busted up Chad Pennington, Kevan Barlow and Cedric Houston in the backfield, guys like Adrian Clarke and Anthony Clement starting along the OL, and Andre Dyson as their #1 CB...

Yet it’s nuts to believe that they could make a run at the postseason with guys like Darnold, Bell, Adams, Mosley, Osemele, R. Anderson, Crowder, etc?

Why? Because of one pre-season drive against a team that should’ve been in the Superbowl 6 months ago?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

15 years ago, I witnessed the Jets make the playoffs with a busted up Chad Pennington, Kevan Barlow and Cedric Houston in the backfield, guys like Adrian Clarke and Anthony Clement starting along the OL, and Andre Dyson as their #1 CB...

Yet it’s nuts to believe that they could make a run at the postseason with guys like Darnold, Bell, Adams, Mosley, Osemele, R. Anderson, Crowder, etc?

Why? Because of one pre-season drive against a team that should’ve been in the Superbowl 6 months ago?

+1

Look at the schedule.  The Jets only play 3 games against elite quarterbacks this season (Brady, Wentz, Brady). 

This is who we face the last 8 weeks of the season:  Manning, Keenum, Carr, Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Roethlisberger, Allen.  It's likely that 3 of those teams will start rookies or sketchy second year guys instead.

SAR I

• WTF? 2

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

The Jets have more than enough talent to be a playoff team. 

I'm so tired of all the fan excuses and low expectations, most of them veiled preemptive excuse-making/nervousness over Sam Darnold (same as all the endless Giant threads and Baker Mayfield threads....).

.500 should be the minimum expectation for 2019.  They fail to get there, thats a BAD season, a dissapointment, something we should be critical of, not a good season or some half-ass moral victory.   

I agree we have enough talent to be a playoff team, but we dont have enough talent at too many key positions.  I think the offense will be very good - perhaps even top 10 as I see Darnold eclipsing 4,000 yards and Bell and Montgomery combining for over 1,500 yards.  My biggest fear is the defense will be very up and down, one series they will dominate and force a 3 and out, the next series they will give up a 60 yard TD pass.  I fear we will give up a lot of big plays and be involved in a lot of high scoring games which will be losses against the better teams.  Picking up Clowney and a solid CB would significantly change that tho neither is very likely..so an exciting and competitive team we will have whether that translates into an 8 win season or a 10 win season is to be determined.

37 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What does razor thin ability mean?  

What I meant when I wrote that is if everything goes in our favor, (no big injuries, players play to their potential, field goal kicker makes the kicks he is supposed to make, no more suspensions, players come back from their injuries in a timely manner) then I believe we can win 8 games.

• Upvote 2

On 8/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, slats said:

Here's the thing, the only way the Jets squeak past .500 this year is if Sam Darnold is Neo.  

he's 22 years old, from southern california and the final game of the year is going to be at buffalo, probably negative -3 degrees Jan 2020 

yeah let's keep piling expectations on the guy, calling him savior... there's no way that will go wrong /s 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's 22 years old, from southern california and the final game of the year is going to be at buffalo, probably negative -3 degrees Jan 2020 

yeah let's keep piling expectations on the guy, calling him savior... there's no way that will go wrong /s 

Another reason last year's win in Buffalo so was huge for Sam and the franchise.  To be able to lead that come from behind win on the road in the cold was so much bigger than meaningless draft position.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Never called him the savior, just stating the rather obvious: he's gonna have to be special this year if this team is going to make the playoffs. 

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's not always gonna be 22, and plenty of QBs have gone from warm weather to cold to have success. If he's gonna be a franchise QB in the AFCe, he's gonna have to become one of those guys. He had a nice last month of the season last year @ Buff, two home games, then @ NE. Really don't know what the cold has to do with anything other than giving him a potential excuse to not succeed. What? Tom Brady's successful because he comes from an area in California where they sometimes put jackets on? What about Brett Favre? Bunch of nonsense. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/25/2019 at 9:28 AM, Alka said:

Sorry for my lack of positivity, but I have been an avid Jets fan for 50 years now, and I have learned through the years that football is the ultimate "team" sport.  

Do you know what I have learned over those 50 years?  If 17 of our 22 starters are really good, but the other 5 are below average, then the team will suck!  

Well what you just said is not even accurate in the age of free agency if you get 17 players you have a dynasty because no team can afford 17 really good players most teams are lucky to get 12 especially if your paying a franchise QB. Maybe that's true 30 years ago when free agency didn't exist not now.  I think the Jets have a real chance to make the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he didn’t seem bothered by weather in buffalo last year in December 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If the Jets go .500 and Darnold looks like a FQB. I'll be ******* ecstatic.  

We haven't even had a full offseason to recover from Bowles lackadaisical culture and MacCagnans malfeasance.  

^^^ This is the correct answer.  All other answers fall well short.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If Darnold plays well but the team goes 6-10, I'm going to be happy with our QB.  It's not about piling expectations on Darnold.  It's about recognizing that this is not a playoff roster, and that all we should care about is Darnold doing the best he can with what he's got.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Jets for sure battle for a playoff spot this season assuming they stay healthy.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Darnold seemed to throw the ball well in the cold weather last year.

Also, Favre is from Mississippi and was an awesome cold weather QB in his prime 

• Upvote 1

One thing I agree with -- the Saints shredding us is an indication of what will happen when we play elite passing offenses. We don't have the corners or the pass rush yet, and when we face top notch QBs we're going to get killed.

Not as worried about the o-line -- when fully healthy and game-planning I think they'll be better.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

One thing I agree with -- the Saints shredding us is an indication of what will happen when we play elite passing offenses. We don't have the corners or the pass rush yet, and when we face top notch QBs we're going to get killed.

Not as worried about the o-line -- when fully healthy and game-planning I think they'll be better.

saints should have been in the super bowl last year, and could have beaten the pats.  it's as good as it gets.  

regardless the jets will give up their share of big plays and the offense will be tasked to keep them in some games.  i think anderson and crowder are in for big statistical years.  also think darnold will miss herndon.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, Alka said:

I understand the glass half full/half empty mentality, but the Jets were exposed last night and I believe will be an indication of what lies ahead this year.

We have no real depth at cornerback, and right now, I am not confident that our injured starters will slide right in and do the job when healthy.  Jets were summarily ripped open last night by the first team offense of the Saints, and wasn't even a contest.  

Next, our offensive line was nowhere in opening up holes for the running backs, and Darnold was pressured when throwing.  How can we expect our 34 year old center and injured left and right guards to step right in and make everything alright?

I think it is reasonable to expect that the health of these players will not be able to hold up all year, and our lack of depth will come back to bite us.

I believe we are a legitimate 7 win team this year, and any "experts" thinking we make the playoffs don't know what they are talking about. 

The only reason we may win 8 games is because the Phins and Bills are mediocre at best, and we should get 3 wins just from playing them.

McCagnon did some good things this past offseason, but he fell short big-time with offensive line and cornerback position, and he doomed us for a step up to mediocrity for this coming year.

That's nonsense!  The Jets will be 8-8 at worst I see them going 10-6 this season

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

he didn’t seem bothered by weather in buffalo last year in December 

its going to be 10-20 degrees colder in january 

not saying he can't do these remarkable feats just it's going to take him putting this crap roster on his back and willing it to the playoffs. Because make no mistake, even with Bell, it's still a crap roster. Madden 20 didn't lie to us. 

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

saints should have been in the super bowl last year, and could have beaten the pats.  it's as good as it gets.  

I'm not arguing the Saints aren't an elite passing offense. I'm just saying when we play elite passing offenses we're gonna see a lot of that.

Looking at the schedule I think Browns, Pats, Eagles, and Steelers fall into this category and will be very tough games to win.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

It was f*cking cold in Buffalo last year when he went up there & beat them with a bunch of NOBODIES! The Bills RBs are Frank Gore (36 years old) & McCoy (31 years old). By time we get to that last game some no name rookie will be lining up behind Allen unless Allen gets crushed by then since he's constantly running from the pocket.