Will the jets have a bottom 5 or bottom 3 pass defense?

Philc1

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Macc screwed us for years, it's going to take the professional Joe Douglas running this organization for a few to overcome the debacles of the past.

Macc spent $180 million on Revis and Trumaine Johnson, multiple high draft picks on box safeties 

Ugh my dog could have managed this better

• Upvote 3

You know what, this excuse about Mac is not holding water. Basically we need better coaching at the position of DB. These are supposed to be professional players. We don't  need Talib or Peterson to cover guys every weekend. We aren't  facing Nuke or AJ Green every game. The coaches need to scheme a D and put these guys in position to succeed.  We have veteran  players at DB. It's time they started playing like it. 

I agree, our secondary  looked horrible last night and there is virtually no pass rush. I hope we are just playing a basic D because if this is what we trot out every week, the O better score 30 every game

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You think Macc built a good secondary?

Pretty much remains to be seen ...... I think our pass rush will be fine no not Elite but enough to create some pressure and help out the D-Backs. 

The D-Backs could use some help but I don't think they are terrible either. 

And please lets put Macc to bed hes gone.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mac drafted and put tons of resources into defense but he put the high picks into positions that simply do not make you a good defense. (ILB, Safety, Interior Dline)

This is it in a nutshell. 

You look at the Broncos pass rush and then at ours.  Our D will have some good games and some bad ones.  I don't see us stopping the really good teams with good QBs.  You need a good pass rush and good coverage.  Corners can't cover forever, you need to pressure the QB.  Need pressure to generate interceptions.  Need coverage to generate sacks.  I'm hoping GW can get pressure with QW and exotic looks.  Hoping Douglas can get us some help when the final cuts come.

Jets need Joe Douglas to have a great off season.   Like many other have said, this season is about building an offense and Darnold's growth.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ya but we also don’t need Alex Brown or whoever else they found off the Ravens scout team.

The starters are going to be Johnson if he stays healthy and Roberts and we have Poole as a nickle. These three are good enough to play the position. Alex Brown I'm not even sure sticks. He's 4th or 5th. There is more depth behind the starters before we get to Alex Brown. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Not sure it matters this year - I am ok with Big 12 football as Sam develops

Though I understand, that's the least of our concerns. 

Sam could be fully developed by week 3, that doesnt mean we have a respectable 53 man roster. 

Luck had developed, and because they put crap around him for the majority of his his career, especially at the Oline, dude retired and he isnt even 30. 

Sam needs a defense to support what he can do on offense. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mac drafted and put tons of resources into defense but he put the high picks into positions that simply do not make you a good defense. (ILB, Safety, Interior Dline)

Yes, because all the good defenses lack talent at those position.  Pitt never needed Palomala, Ravens werent better with Reed, Colts played no different with Sanders than without him.  Singletary etc never helped their defense just like theres no impact by along Donaldson, Suh, Cox, Jenkins, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Joe Green.......

Only in Jetland does a defense not really need to have good players at 6 of the 11 positions to a defense in order to be be a good defense.  

• Upvote 1

Word of optimism about the lack of pass rush; think there is an unwritten rule that you play straight up, no blitzes, limited stunts and no wrinkles . In part because nobody wants to hurt a #1 QB, and in part because you don't want to put any interesting stuff on tape. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, because all the good defenses lack talent at those position.  Pitt never needed Palomala, Ravens werent better with Reed, Colts played no different with Sanders than without him.  Singletary etc never helped their defense just like theres no impact by along Donaldson, Suh, Cox, Jenkins, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Joe Green.......

Only in Jetland does a defense not really need to have good players at 6 of the 11 positions to a defense in order to be be a good defense.  

We have jamal adams uber best safety in football pro bowler.

We just drafted Quinne the beast williams 3rd overall.

We drafted another saftey in the 2nd round.

We have leo williams 6th overall who should be in his prime.

We drafted since departed darron lee in the 1st.

We gave cj mosely a huge contracr.

And the defense is poor.

No olbs and no attemtp to fix that postion, no cbs

You win in this league by getting a pass rush and by covering.  We put almost no real resources into these two things.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Polamalu, Sanders and Reed cards have been played. Let's see if Adams has anywhere close to the impactful plays any of those guys did. Simple fact; the safety you can get in free agency or later rounds thus far would have been only slightly  less impactful than Adams, and no worse than Maye. Happy with Darnold, but this Mahomes kid...

Big Picture: what ever teams did to build themselves up in the past is not the same as 2019. DBs are overhead; you need a pass rush to cut in on a QB's time or hit him, and you need to score points. A shutdown corner is a unicorn; it no longer exists. If you can force a QB to make fast and bad decisions with a rush, you'll be fine. If you give him time, DBs won't much mater once the play breaks down and extends.Adams may be a very good safety, but the point is he's a safety , and that position simply is not that important. 

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Polamalu, Sanders and Reed cards have been played. Let's see if Adams has anywhere close to the impactful plays any of those guys did. Simple fact; the safety you can get in free agency or later rounds thus far would have been only slightly  less impactful than Adams, and no worse than Maye. Happy with Darnold, but this Mahomes kid...

Big Picture: what ever teams did to build themselves up in the past is not the same as 2019. DBs are overhead; you need a pass rush to cut in on a QB's time or hit him, and you need to score points. A shutdown corner is a unicorn; it no longer exists. If you can force a QB to make fast and bad decisions with a rush, you'll be fine. If you give him time, DBs won't much mater once the play breaks down and extends.Adams may be a very good safety, but the point is he's a safety , and that position simply is not that important. 

Exactly nothing to do with what I was saying.  His point is S, interior DL and LB have nothing to do with creating a good defense.  

Simple fact.  Makes no difference how good Adams is.  A handful of people will always be pissed that we didnt reach for Mahomes at the 6 spot.  Turns out we should have, few if any would have but those fans wont let it go.  Its simple

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Though I understand, that's the least of our concerns. 

Sam could be fully developed by week 3, that doesnt mean we have a respectable 53 man roster. 

Luck had developed, and because they put crap around him for the majority of his his career, especially at the Oline, dude retired and he isnt even 30. 

Sam needs a defense to support what he can do on offense. 

Agree, guess I am figuring Sam is basically a rookie this year, the last Coaching staff set him up to fail and based on the backup OL play so far the old FO did him no favors either - really just want to see him get through the year healthy and if that means the pass defense sucks, so be it...

I have faith in what GW can do with scraps - prefer the focus is on helping Sam 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly nothing to do with what I was saying.  His point is S, interior DL and LB have nothing to do with creating a good defense.  

Simple fact.  Makes no difference how good Adams is.  A handful of people will always be pissed that we didnt reach for Mahomes at the 6 spot.  Turns out we should have, few if any would have but those fans wont let it go.  Its simple

Sorry I missed your sarcasm, not enough caffeine yet.