Will the jets have a bottom 5 or bottom 3 pass defense?

Philc1

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I like you.   

It's funny isn't it?  Sam Scores on two opening drives in the preseason and there is literally talk of him being in the running for league MVP. The incredible Saints offense scores a TD against us and out comes the dumpster fire brigade.  I'm not one to say things like " jets fans be like.."  because I happen to be one of those Jets fan and I have been as ridiculous as anyone at times, but this is the preseason of a brand new offense AND Defense, new coaches, new players. Hell, even a new GM that may or may not see things in a way we will recognize. Add to that a young QB learning his 3rd offense in 3 years.  We have guys out on the field in the preseason specifically so Joe Douglas can see things he wants to. We have no idea what's going on. This is going to take time no matter how you slice it. 

The CB pieceis what it is. Two things.  First is that the players we are watching won't even be the same guys who are filling out the back of our roster in a few days. Believe it when we say Douglas has plans to grab people on cut day. That doesn't mean they will automatically be better, but that's the fact of it. There will be different guys here.

Second  thing is our starters are going to play. Our first team of Trumaine, Poole and Roberts will be out there so this bellyaching about Campbell and Brown are almost meaningless.  Our starting 3 may not be world beaters but its serviceable or at minimum better than we are seeing in the preseason.  

I think we need to calm down and see what Douglas does... if anything.   Let's watch the Jets play the Bills Sept 8th!    I for one, and PSYCHED UP!!!!  

I am not the most optimistic fan (clearly) but I am confident that for the first time in many years this team will not be less than the sum of its parts.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Elite QBs make their own weapons, not the other way around, especially if they have a competent OL. Every guy the Steelers, Pats, Saints, Chargers roll out there does pretty darn good, for example.

I can't believe I am saying this but Douglas needs to focus on the D now...

No I  disagree. #1 Priority -protect Darnold. That means OL remains #1 priority with a bullet. #2 Priority - Give Sam more weapons. We still need a#1 receiver with size and a bigger downhill running back. And then worry about defense. We may even need to endure a Saints like season or two, but learn the Luck lesson...protect the QB at all costs.

41 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No I  disagree. #1 Priority -protect Darnold. That means OL remains #1 priority with a bullet. #2 Priority - Give Sam more weapons. We still need a#1 receiver with size and a bigger downhill running back. And then worry about defense. We may even need to endure a Saints like season or two, but learn the Luck lesson...protect the QB at all costs.

My post presupposes a competent OL. As for your second point, the focus should be secondary or edge rusher (in that order) IMHO.

As much as I love Q and thought he was arguably the most dominant player in the draft, Josh Allen filled a much bigger need for this team.

With the premium that is placed on outside rush in the NFL now and the fact we hopefully won't be drafting in the top 5 again anytime soon, I worry we whiffed on a big opportunity to secure that player.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

My post presupposes a competent OL. As for your second point, the focus should be secondary or edge rusher (in that order) IMHO.

It's the defensive mind set. I dont really agree with it. Offense wins divisions and championships. You only need to be OK on defense and not BAD at rushing the passer. A

Just now, johnnysd said:

It's the defensive mind set. I dont really agree with it. Offense wins divisions and championships. You only need to be OK on defense and not BAD at rushing the passer. A

Disagreement makes message boards fun!

6 hours ago, msena88 said:

As much as I love Q and thought he was arguably the most dominant player in the draft, Josh Allen filled a much bigger need for this team.

With the premium that is placed on outside rush in the NFL now and the fact we hopefully won't be drafting in the top 5 again anytime soon, I worry we whiffed on a big opportunity to secure that player.

So trade for Clowney 

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Get what you pay for. Chris Johnson wants to win now, knowing his runway is short. Not being political just saying he may only have two seasons left at the helm, and he pushed his chips in. Good.

If the team performs well, does Woody make a permanent spot for his bro and relinquish some power?

The Johnson Bros are as inept as it gets

I’m hoping Gase is running the show now

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

We’re not even okay

Our pass defense last year was ranked 24th despite the jets having the 3rd easiest strength of schedule and our team stats inflated from week 1 when Matt Patricia forgot to change signals 

And yet we downgraded in the secondary somehow

On 8/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, Jet Nut said:

Yes, because all the good defenses lack talent at those position.  Pitt never needed Palomala, Ravens werent better with Reed, Colts played no different with Sanders than without him.  Singletary etc never helped their defense just like theres no impact by along Donaldson, Suh, Cox, Jenkins, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Joe Green.......

Only in Jetland does a defense not really need to have good players at 6 of the 11 positions to a defense in order to be be a good defense.  

You do know some of those players you listed never were ILBs, Safeties or Interior Lineman...right?

On 8/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, Philc1 said:

No pass rush.  OLBs all suck and our secondary has actually gotten worse if such a thing is possible

Probably won't be that bad.  Once teams have a nice lead, they will be running the ball and eating up clock the entire 2nd half, so the passing stats won't be outrageous.

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Johnson Bros are as inept as it gets

I’m hoping Gase is running the show now

You do realize only one is involved in running the team and he's doing a good job?  It's time to stop acting like CJ is Woody.  

Im not going on to have the worlds dumbest argument over Palomala, Reed and Sanders weren't Ss, or that Singletary wasn't on the inside or the rest.  

33 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Bruce Smith never played any of those position. How do you dress yourself?

Bruce Smith played inside.

I listed Yes, "Palomala, Ranes Reed add Lewis inside, Colts Sanders at S,  Singletary etc.  Donaldson, Suh, Cox, Jenkins, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Joe Green.......

You bitch about one and get pissy about it. 

Learn the game, it's history and then come back with a wise ass answer that actually makes sense 

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Bruce Smith played inside.

I listed Yes, "Palomala, Ranes Reed add Lewis inside, Colts Sanders at S,  Singletary etc.  Donaldson, Suh, Cox, Jenkins, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Joe Green.......

You bitch about one and get pissy about it. 

Learn the game, it's history and then come back with a wise ass answer that actually makes sense 

Bruce Smith did not play inside. He played what they would call the "edge" position nowadays. 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Bruce Smith did not play inside. He played what they would call the "edge" position nowadays. 

He also played inside.  Who cares, there a whole list of players who were stars, who effect(ed) the game at those positions that were listed as insignificat.  I can add to it.  Sapp, Lilly, Ngata, Seymour keep going. What I give a dozen and you feel the need to be a wise ass over Smith while disregarding the point entirely? 

Arguing just to argue.  

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He also played inside.  Who cares, there a whole list of players who were stars, who effect(ed) the game at those positions that were listed as insignificat.  I can add to it.  Sapp, Lilly, Ngata keep going. What I give a dozen and you feel the need to be a wise ass over Smith while disregarding the point entirely? 

Arguing just to argue.  

Smith might have once on occasion played inside but he was a career 4-3 DE