Bills vs Jets - Offseason & build to opening day

Both teams look average at the moment. Pretty close in talent. The Bills have the better defense. The Jets have the better offense. 

Another point of comparison is both went iDL with their top 10 picks. Watching Ed Oliver and Q progress is going to be another story line. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

With a key divisional game in week 1, I thought I would give the Jets fans a perspective from the Bills fans viewpoint.

Both teams had needs in similar areas in the offseason.  Offensive line, offensive skill positions, interior defensive line, defensive backfield and special teams.

Jets focused on high priced free agent additions, Bell at RB, Mosley at ILB and Crowder at slot receiver.  Added a couple of offensive line inside and grabbed at top DT in the draft.

Bills focused on quantity over high priced additions, added 6 average to above average OL, like the Jets added an OT/G in the 2nd round, added slot receiver in Beasley and deep threat in John Brown, rebuilt the TE position and added quality to secondary and also like the Jets added a highly regarded DT in Ed Oliver.  Lastly Bills improved their horrible special teams and took away from the Jets by adding Andre Roberts.

So, whose plan is going to be more successful?

Each team has a different approach in its coaching, Bills is team approach with emphasis on limited blitzing and zone concept D and Jets is offensive orientated with a more wide open passing game and blitz orientated blitzing D.  Makes for a great contrast in styles.

On top of all that, we have the development of 2nd year QB’s in the Jets Sam Darnold and the Bills Josh Allen.  Each is seen as the franchise QB and these two teams are next up when the Patriots dynasty ends (hope it’s in 2019) with the Dolphins in serious trail mode having to do a complete rebuild.

In summary I’m looking forward to the Bills and Jets doing battle for AFC east supremacy for the next 5 to 7 years and let the games begin on September 8th at MetLife.

Sending best wishes for a great season, great rivalry and can’t wait to see how all this plays out.

Welcome.  the bolded part isn't entirely true.  You made Mitch Morse the highest paid center in the league (I think hes owed $19mn this year).  Wish Jets got Paradis, but happy we got Khalil. Quick question...do you think Morse is going to be out of concussion protocol by opening weekend?  Also I think the game comes down to whichever of our QB's look like they took a bigger step in year 2.  Hard to tell from one or two series in preseason.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Billsfan64 said:

With a key divisional game in week 1, I thought I would give the Jets fans a perspective from the Bills fans viewpoint.

Both teams had needs in similar areas in the offseason.  Offensive line, offensive skill positions, interior defensive line, defensive backfield and special teams.

Jets focused on high priced free agent additions, Bell at RB, Mosley at ILB and Crowder at slot receiver.  Added a couple of offensive line inside and grabbed at top DT in the draft.

Bills focused on quantity over high priced additions, added 6 average to above average OL, like the Jets added an OT/G in the 2nd round, added slot receiver in Beasley and deep threat in John Brown, rebuilt the TE position and added quality to secondary and also like the Jets added a highly regarded DT in Ed Oliver.  Lastly Bills improved their horrible special teams and took away from the Jets by adding Andre Roberts.

So, whose plan is going to be more successful?

Each team has a different approach in its coaching, Bills is team approach with emphasis on limited blitzing and zone concept D and Jets is offensive orientated with a more wide open passing game and blitz orientated blitzing D.  Makes for a great contrast in styles.

On top of all that, we have the development of 2nd year QB’s in the Jets Sam Darnold and the Bills Josh Allen.  Each is seen as the franchise QB and these two teams are next up when the Patriots dynasty ends (hope it’s in 2019) with the Dolphins in serious trail mode having to do a complete rebuild.

In summary I’m looking forward to the Bills and Jets doing battle for AFC east supremacy for the next 5 to 7 years and let the games begin on September 8th at MetLife.

Sending best wishes for a great season, great rivalry and can’t wait to see how all this plays out.

This is sorta like premature ejauculation, sux  like the Bills 0-4.

• Thumb Down 2

26 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Welcome.  the bolded part isn't entirely true.  You made Mitch Morse the highest paid center in the league (I think hes owed $19mn this year).  Wish Jets got Paradis, but happy we got Khalil. Quick question...do you think Morse is going to be out of concussion protocol by opening weekend?  Also I think the game comes down to whichever of our QB's look like they took a bigger step in year 2.  Hard to tell from one or two series in preseason.

True about Morse.  Yes, Bills starting o line will be from left to right, LT Dawkins, LG Spain, C Morse, RG Ford, RT Neschke

Like the Jets, have not played one series together in the preseason.  It will be really interesting to see which group holds up better against two really good defensive lines.

At this point Darnold is more developed and polished, but Allen can make huge plays with his arm and legs.  Thinking Bills and Jets are pretty even in RB, Bell & Montgomery vs RB by committee by Buffalo, Brown vs Anderson, Beasley vs Crowder, Quincy vs I’m thinking Duke Williams for the Bills at possession receiver, both teams have injuries/suspensions at TE.

Bills Back 7 is light years ahead of Jets, and the special teams advantage is on Bills sideline in Andre Roberts.

In my opinion can Darnold do enough to overcome the Bills advantage in D and special teams.

Gonna be fun

I don’t think there is any question that Beane runs circles around Mac.  I agree more with the Bills roster construction than the Jets. 

I don’t think Josh Allen ends up to be a great NFL QB.   The Jets got lucky with Darnold.  

But I think the Jets offense matches up very poorly with the Bills defense, and wonder if the DBs can cover the Bills receivers.  I think the Bills win. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think there is any question that Beane runs circles around Mac.  I agree more with the Bills roster construction than the Jets. 

I don’t think Josh Allen ends up to be a great NFL QB.   The Jets got lucky with Darnold.  

But I think the Jets offense matches up very poorly with the Bills defense, and wonder if the DBs can cover the Bills receivers.  I think the Bills win. 

The Bills are in year 3 of their rebuild, Jets made a great move in getting Douglas as GM and replacing McCagnon, who was awful.  The best move he did was getting up in front of the Bills to get Darnold who the Bills wanted.  My feeling is that with more weapons and better protection Darnold will become elite.  Allen, can get their but as seen many times inaccuracy in college doesn’t get better in the NFL.  If he can get his completion percentage to 60%, by scheme and better footwork and decision making he will become elite also.

My prediction for opening day is Bills 23, Jets 20, possible OT as these teams are so close and Jets are at home

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

Thinking Bills and Jets are pretty even in RB, Bell & Montgomery vs RB by committee by Buffalo, 

I agree with everything except for this. Whenever you have a top 5 RB in the league, no RB by committee is going to match even. L Bell is a stud’s stud. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Team archer said:

I like your take and I say this with all the divisional rivalry respect I can muster up..

my team > your team

I absolutely hate the arrogant Pats fans and idiot Dolphin fans.  I can’t wait for Brady and Bellichek to retire and let New England dissolve and be awful for the next decade.  The Dolphins just seem to finally understand that you have to hit bottom before you can ascend upwards.  I find “TD Phil” on YouTube to be the ultimate homer as he believes the Dolphins are heading to the playoffs.  To get a few laughs, check him out.  Jet fans have suffered like Bills fans and generally respectful and knowledgeable.  I can’t wait for the years of quality football to come between the teams.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

don’t think there is any question that Beane runs circles around Mac.  I agree more with the Bills roster construction than the Jets. 

I agree here but I think Maccagnan actually had the balls to move up to #3 before Beane even wanted to touch the phone. Beane also had a lot more resources and draft capital to send away. Maccagnan’s best move remains one that other QB hungry teams wouldn’t match.

now don’t get me wrong...

Macc is a giant puss but damn it’s like the spirit of the lion possessed him for like the last week of March and he dropped his d*ck on the counter with that trade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree with everything except for this. Whenever you have a top 5 RB in the league, no RB by committee is going to match even. L Bell is a stud’s stud. 

Bell was a stud in his last season with a loaded Steeler offense with an established QB, great WR weapons, a solid offensive line with years of experience playing together.

What you have in 2019 Laveon Bell with a developing QB, with ok WR, no TE and an offensive line that is weak at tackle, old in the interior and has no cohesion.  

Thinking Bell may not get rolling for a few weeks

8 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

Bell was a stud in his last season with a loaded Steeler offense with an established QB, great WR weapons, a solid offensive line with years of experience playing together.

What you have in 2019 Laveon Bell with a developing QB, with ok WR, no TE and an offensive line that is weak at tackle, old in the interior and has no cohesion.  

Montgomery played well behind that oline. Don't see why Bell wouldn't. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan64 said:

I think Bell will be fine. It’s safe to consider all of those things as factors(I wouldn’t say anything major), and they probably do have some impact on how/if consistency will carry over, but what I see in his skill set is something that the success of — really cannot be dictated by surrounding personnel or play calling. When you watch Bell, you see someone who creates his own holes with his vision, moves so shifty, pass protects really well, best pass catching back in the league. So again, I’m not saying that the Steelers has zero impact on his production but what he does as an offensive player in general is so widely beneficial and self-created — he’ll definitely be enough L Bell in 2019 to be worth the signing imho.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The Bills feel like one of those teams that looks like it can compete, but they wait too long to admit their QB sucks and their window rails shut before they pull the plug on Allen. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Oliver has some issues as his hands seem to go up to the face which will draw penalties, still working on technique.  He’s a starter and is super quick and has drawn double teams in his snaps so far.  

Long is gonna be a reserve G on a pretty deep offensive line.  Has looked good at both LG and RG

How is Q Williams looking so far.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

How is Q Williams looking so far.

Hasn’t gotten that first sack yet but getting consistent pressure, which is nice to see. Drawing holding calls from opposing OL on a consistent basis. (The kid is too quick and strong for some of these guys so they have to hold on for life)

He has lost his balance a few times during the bull rush so I’d like to see him have some balance about himself but all that takes time. As of right now he looks pretty good! Idk what kind of impact he’ll have in his rookie season and I don’t know where the majority of his snaps will come from (Gregg Williams wants him at DE and DT because his build makes him versatile)

He’s got a little ways to go but I’m happy to have him.

This game starts a new era for the Jets. They will be pumped up. Their fans will be pumped up. Tom Shane will be pumped up although he won't admit it - either pumped up or passed out by halftime. Anyway I think the QBs and a couple of turnovers in the Jets favor will be the difference and the Jets win this one 23-17.

• Haha 3

Thanks for giving us your thought Billsfan64!

I also agree with what you say on everything except for RB

It’s def possible week 1 Bell (after missing the year & purposely not being allowed to play this preseason) & our supposed starting OL who haven’t all played together take some time to get up to speed

Even if all that is true Bell should still be significantly better than a RB by committee situation.

I’d liken It to if Thurman Thomas sat out for a year ... then came back for week 1 the next year ... no matter what ... he should still be better than an opponent with a RB by committee.

Q has taken some “Big Baby” steps ... getting some push ... but still raw & figuring it out

Again, welcome ... hope you stay with us here throughout the season!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ljr said:

Thanks for giving us your thought Billsfan64!

I also agree with what you say on everything except for RB

It’s def possible week 1 Bell (after missing the year & purposely not being allowed to play this preseason) & our supposed starting OL who haven’t all played together take some time to get up to speed

Even if all that is true Bell should still be significantly better than a RB by committee situation.

I’d liken It to if Thurman Thomas sat out for a year ... then came back for week 1 the next year ... no matter what ... he should still be better than an opponent with a RB by committee.

Q has taken some “Big Baby” steps ... getting some push ... but still raw & figuring it out

Again, welcome ... hope you stay with us here throughout the season!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Thank you for the invite.  Will be following the Jets all season and as I have NFL Sunday ticket, I get to see all the games.  When I say running back by committee for the Bills I’m talking future Hall of Fame LeShon McCoy, future Hall of Fame Frank Gore and top rookie Devin Singleton.  Pretty good committee in my opinion.

Again, very much appreciate the welcome

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan64 said:

The Bills are in year 3 of their rebuild, Jets made a great move in getting Douglas as GM and replacing McCagnon, who was awful.  The best move he did was getting up in front of the Bills to get Darnold who the Bills wanted.  My feeling is that with more weapons and better protection Darnold will become elite.  Allen, can get their but as seen many times inaccuracy in college doesn’t get better in the NFL.  If he can get his completion percentage to 60%, by scheme and better footwork and decision making he will become elite also.

My prediction for opening day is Bills 23, Jets 20, possible OT as these teams are so close and Jets are at home

The bills never wanted darnold. They were targeting allen for a year. Beane admitted it....

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I liked Cody Ford a lot, I would've loved to see the Jets get him, but alas, no such luck. If you have him penciled in to start week one, he must be impressing this summer, no?

Ford has impressed more at G then tackle.  He is a powerful drive blocker but has problems with speed defensive ends.  That’s why he will be a guard in the NFL

6 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

Ford has impressed more at G then tackle.  He is a powerful drive blocker but has problems with speed defensive ends.  That’s why he will be a guard in the NFL

I really thought he stood out at the combine, and remember hearing that he’d probably be a impact player right away at guard in the pros. If I remember correctly people said he could be a decent tackle, but guard was where he would shine.

10 hours ago, Billsfan64 said:

I absolutely hate the arrogant Pats fans and idiot Dolphin fans.  I can’t wait for Brady and Bellichek to retire and let New England dissolve and be awful for the next decade.  The Dolphins just seem to finally understand that you have to hit bottom before you can ascend upwards.  I find “TD Phil” on YouTube to be the ultimate homer as he believes the Dolphins are heading to the playoffs.  To get a few laughs, check him out.  Jet fans have suffered like Bills fans and generally respectful and knowledgeable.  I can’t wait for the years of quality football to come between the teams.

Sounds  like some on  a bills or Jets board. 

Both teams have traditionally been good on d but no franchise qb. That has finally changed...

I feel its gonna be a shootout. Both qbs are elite imo

34-33 buffalo 

Elite? ... Did somebody say 'Elite' ? ... 'elite'???

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think the jets defense getting crapped on by everyone is a little overblown. I don’t think Dennis Williams is Gona show his true creativity till week 1 with blitz packages. I’m concerned about corner but josh Allen is a one trick pony with running with the football and not very accurate. If we can contain him we win this football game.