Quinnen Williams fined for late hit on Schaub

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001044299/article/roundup-jets-quinnen-williams-fined-for-late-hit

Roundup: Jets' Quinnen Williams fined for late hit

• By Jelani Scott NFL.com
  • Published: Aug. 25, 2019 at 04:30 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 25, 2019 at 07:54 p.m.

The NFL has decided to fine rookie New York Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams for his actions in Week 2 of the preseason, per NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero.

Williams has been fined $21,056 for a late hit on Falcons quarterback Matt Schaub in the second quarter of the Jets-Falcons game on August 15. The play occurred on Schaub's first snap of the game after coming on for starter Matt Ryan.

Williams was not flagged for the hit and, according to Pelissero, he is expected to appeal the decision.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

My only compliant is flag him if you’re going to fine him.

I don't remember the play, but I'm ok with the league office reviewing stuff like this and then issuing a ruling.

It's not like the refs never miss a call or three...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

in general, sure. 

Not sure that this particular play warranted it though.

Like I said, I don't remember the play, but if you do, I'll take your word for it being questionable. I'd like to see it though. Maybe it'll be on the NFL Network tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'll mention a fine like this...

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Like I said, I don't remember the play, but if you do, I'll take your word for it being questionable. I'd like to see it though. Maybe it'll be on the NFL Network tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'll mention a fine like this...

I’m sure they’ll replay the entire game at some point. They always do. I can’t stand preseason. This was the only one I watched because it was the dress rehearsal.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m sure they’ll replay the entire game at some point. They always do. I can’t stand preseason. This was the only one I watched because it was the dress rehearsal.

I think the hit in question was against Atlanta's backup last week.

1 hour ago, Gunnails said:

The hit in question at the 2:00 mark.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Would have to see it in real time, but if it's that last clip then that looks like some pretty weak sauce. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Would have to see it in real time, but if it's that last clip then that looks like some pretty weak sauce. 

Yeah, I kind of agree.

Maybe they think he led with the helmet? That’s the only thing I can think of seeing it in slo mo.

41 minutes ago, jack48 said:

how was he supposed to stop?  Or are they saying it is a helmet hit?

The rules are so convoluted now.  Just like the AFCG when the Chiefs had a totally clean sack on Brady late in the game then get called for roughing the passer because his hand touched the wrong part of his body

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Looked like a bang-bang play. He was on him a split second after the ball was gone.

Was the fine for leading with the helmet or a late hit? Didn't look late to me.

I’m guessing because the crown of his helmet looked like it made contact with Schaub’s face mask. 

Really really ticky tack. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, rayzor said:

How do they determine the fine amounts?  Holton Hill, the Vikes CB who literally took out Paxton Lynch, got only a $10,527 fine.  And he was ejected from the game!!

I am sure it has to do with their salaries.  Holton Hill is on the 2nd year of an UDFA contract, Williams #3 overall.  That is the difference. 

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m guessing because the crown of his helmet looked like it made contact with Schaub’s face mask. 

Really really ticky tack. 

If the ref’s didn’t call it it probably wasn’t a penalty. They threw flags for everything else. Didn’t one Jet get a flag for wearing the wrong color underwear.

21 hours ago, Gunnails said:

The hit in question at the 2:00 mark.

---------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO that is complete horse $hit.  He was there before the arm came back from the pass and the initial contact is to the chest. These NFL guys gotta cut the crap already.  It has to be because the top of his helmet touched the face mask. In Slow motion everything can look like an infraction.  

Unreal 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

IMHO that is complete horse $hit.  He was there before the arm came back from the pass and the initial contact is to the chest. These NFL guys gotta cut the crap already.  It has to be because the top of his helmet touched the face mask. In Slow motion everything can look like an infraction.  

Unreal 

The NFL hates the jets and they hate the Johnsons.  That’s part of why Chris Herndon we won’t see til week six meanwhile Tyreek Hill breaks a kid’s arm and gets no suspension 

• Upvote 1