Jets \ Bills Game Plan: MERGED

Maxman

Allen hasn't been a 'stand-and-deliver' kind of QB.  He'll run at the first pressure.  So the question is, can we chase him down and finish the play before he throws the ball?  Last year we seemed to get a lot of hurries but often they got completed anyway.  That extra half-step is everything.  Jenkins and Luvu aren't speedsters.  So it's probably got to happen from the inside with one of the OLBs used to contain him when he bolts early.  BUF looks to have a strong defense so I am not counting on a lot of points on our side.  Their running game doesn't scare me (lot of good players but no great ones).  Harrying Allen and forcing him into rushed throws feels like the best way to win that game.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Keep Allen in the pocket. Let Allen lose game with his arm.

Agreed.  Conservative game plan.  Try to llimit big plays over the top and keep Allen in the pocket.  Force him to beat us by executing 10+ play drives with his arm, and if he can do that, you tip your cap to him; and hope Darnold can match him.

Just now, nycdan said:

Allen hasn't been a 'stand-and-deliver' kind of QB.  He'll run at the first pressure.  So the question is, can we chase him down and finish the play before he throws the ball?  Last year we seemed to get a lot of hurries but often they got completed anyway.  That extra half-step is everything.  Jenkins and Luvu aren't speedsters.  So it's probably got to happen from the inside with one of the OLBs used to contain him when he bolts early.  BUF looks to have a strong defense so I am not counting on a lot of points on our side.  Their running game doesn't scare me (lot of good players but no great ones).  Harrying Allen and forcing him into rushed throws feels like the best way to win that game.  

You can't consistently apply pressure from everywhere, but you can dedicate to pressure from one side and maybe the middle at times, trying to ensure that the flush of the QB would only go in one direction if you can collapse the pocket.  Maybe that's when you deploy Jamal or CJ as a QB spy at times?  Obvious passing downs will be where GW makes his money.

My only concern is Allen and the deep ball to guys like John Brown.  Allen can throw to the other side of the field as deeply (but not quite as accurately) as the best QBs in the league.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

No Chris Herndon so Gase will be creative with the receivers. Not sure what kind of workload Bell will have week one, maybe 12 carries, 4 receptions?

I'd like to see a lot of Montgomery and Bell on the field at the same time, with Ty lined up out wide.  Lot's of 0-TE sets, basically.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You can't consistently apply pressure from everywhere, but you can dedicate to pressure from one side and maybe the middle at times, trying to ensure that the flush of the QB would only go in one direction if you can collapse the pocket.  Maybe that's when you deploy Jamal or CJ as a QB spy at times?  Obvious passing downs will be where GW makes his money.

My only concern is Allen and the deep ball to guys like John Brown.  Allen can throw to the other side of the field as deeply (but not quite as accurately) as the best QBs in the league.

Agreed.  I think right-handed QBs far prefer to scramble to their right so it's probably easier to play to that tendency.  Having one LB staying close to the line to limit his scrambling is probably essential in that case.  It's tricky because the pressure is coming from the middle, but I think you can still influence the direction, especially when you bring Adams in.  

The challenge with this is that you typically take away half the field when you force a QB out but Allen's arm is strong enough that he can probably make the throws across his body from right to left.  Still, those have to be the kind of passes you want to have happen as they likely open the door to more INTs.  Ultimately, if he's throwing on the run, I think we are controlling that side of the ball.  I'm not sure if we really want him throwing from the pocket against our CBs if he has enough time.

• Upvote 1

Going to be a tough divisional game. 

Cole Beasley will be open much of the day.  John Brown might hit for a big play if Allen makes an accurate throw.  The Jets corners flat out stink.  The Bills wont have much success running the ball unless it is Josh Allen himself.

Everyone knows how I feel about Bell.  He is THE man.  The Jets might struggle to run a bit because Buffalo has a tough defense.  The beauty of Le'V Bell is he can find holes when there aren't because of his vision, and if the Jets really struggle to run... Gase will use him as a receiver which is just as effective.  I expect Robby to be somewhat neutralized by Tre'Davious White.  Darnold will look early and often for Crowder.

And while I agree with the decision to let him walk, I am nervous about a big return from Andre Roberts...

No prediction for week 1, sorry...  Not until I see the teams play.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Going to be a tough divisional game. 

Cole Beasley will be open much of the day.  John Brown might hit for a big play if Allen makes an accurate throw.  The Jets corners flat out stink.  The Bills wont have much success running the ball unless it is Josh Allen himself.

Everyone knows how I feel about Bell.  He is THE man.  The Jets might struggle to run a bit because Buffalo has a tough defense.  The beauty of Le'V Bell is he can find holes when there aren't because of his vision, and if the Jets really struggle to run... Gase will use him as a receiver which is just as effective.  I expect Robby to be somewhat neutralized by Tre'Davious White.  Darnold will look early and often for Crowder.

And while I agree with the decision to let him walk, I am nervous about a big return from Andre Roberts...

No prediction for week 1, sorry...  Not until I see the teams play.

I think the combination of Bell's running style, the OLine being hurt in camp, and Bell having no game experience means he will start slow. And with a reduced workload.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Keep Allen in the pocket. Let Allen lose game with his arm.

The Bills offense this offseason has centered around Cole Beasley. He's been Allen's go to receiver and doesn't seem to have a problem catching the short/intermediate passes that Allen puts some heat on that gave his receivers problems last season. They're going to have to put someone on him full time with help. That makes it difficult to cover other guys so they're going to have to bring heat and keep the ball out of Beaseley's hands. 

The Bills had the #1 pass defense last season. You'll need to throw, but if Gase tries to throw his way to a victory, it's not going to go well. The Bills defense is built to stop the pass. They're going to have to move the ball on the ground to move it in the air. People are enamored by the idea of putting Enunawa, Robby, Bell and Montgomery on the field at the same time, but the Bills have what may be the deepest secondary in the league. Their safety duo can both cover and tackle solo. They're deep at corner with starter quality corners at nickel and their 2nd year guy Wallace opposite White came on strong last season and looks to be good in preseason as well. Their defense weakest area seems to be against the run since they use a lot of players who penetrate well, but don't necessarily keep their gap assignments leaving holes.

In short, lots of disguised pressure and run the ball. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

They still have two preseason games left, but as I look at the schedule I realize the Jets HAVE TO win the opener. It is a division opponent and the Jets are 3.5 point favorite.

No Chris Herndon so Gase will be creative with the receivers. Not sure what kind of workload Bell will have week one, maybe 12 carries, 4 receptions?

No cornerbacks so Gregg Williams will have to be creative as well. The league seemed surprised at how much Josh Allen ran last year so they will be ready for that.

The Jets OLine should be pretty healthy so that is a plus....

Anyhow, what will the game plan be to beat the Bills? (other than control the line of scrimmage and avoid turnovers lol).

We should come out in 20 personnel - three wide, with Bell and Montgomery on the field at the same time - and no huddle the Bills off the field.  Lot's of zone and option reads for Sam, Montgomery and Bell.  Will be near impossible to defend with the Bills personnel; they can't cover those guys in their base D and Star Lotuleilei will be gasping for air in short order.

Defensively, the Bills are made to order for us, given their weakness at QB and WR.  

33 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Bills offense this offseason has centered around Cole Beasley. He's been Allen's go to receiver and doesn't seem to have a problem catching the short/intermediate passes that Allen puts some heat on that gave his receivers problems last season. They're going to have to put someone on him full time with help. That makes it difficult to cover other guys so they're going to have to bring heat and keep the ball out of Beaseley's hands. 

The Bills had the #1 pass defense last season. You'll need to throw, but if Gase tries to throw his way to a victory, it's not going to go well. The Bills defense is built to stop the pass. They're going to have to move the ball on the ground to move it in the air. People are enamored by the idea of putting Enunawa, Robby, Bell and Montgomery on the field at the same time, but the Bills have what may be the deepest secondary in the league. They're safety duo can both cover and tackle solo. They're deep at corner with starter quality corners at nickel and their 2nd year guy Wallace opposite White came on strong last season and looks to be good as well. Their defense weakest area seems to be against the run since they use a lot of players who penetrate well, but don't necessarily keep their gap assignments leaving holes.

In short, lots of disguised pressure and run the ball. 

Brian Poole's first job is going to be a handful with Beasly getting most of his dirty work in the slot. I know Poole and Crowder have been going at it all camp, hopefully that can prepare Poole for the week 1 battle that is coming to MetLIfe. 

Great points with Buffalo's pass defense and depth. I think there will be little separation for these receivers. Gase will need to use the uptempo and no huddle offense at times in personal packages that are exposing a particular defensive back or linebacker. There will need to be someone on offense outside of the big 3 (Anderson,Crowder,Enunwa) who can step up and get plays at times when needed. Greg Dortch? Ryan Griffen? Donte Burnett?

With the lack of practice time with this offensive line, there can be a potential slow start in the run game. I am expecting Bell to get more catches then runs in the first quarter and him finishing the game pounding the rock a little more. Someone previously stated 12 carries and 4 catches for Bell in this game, somewhere around those numbers sounds about right  from listening to Gase and Bell not playing in the preseason. 

Putting a spy on Josh Allen may not be as easy as it sounds with the lack of pass rush this defense has. We really do need every linebacker we got either blitzing or falling back in coverage. Josh Allen will be running the ball on us and Buffalo will be throwing the deep ball consistently. Not only does Allen have the arm for it(dude can sling the rock far), these corners are awful and will be tested all year with the deep ball. Having Marcus Maye back can reduce some of this, that safety can just flat out cover. 

Just now, Rsherman28 said:

Brian Poole's first job is going to be a handful with Beasly getting most of his dirty work in the slot. I know Poole and Crowder have been going at it all camp, hopefully that can prepare Poole for the week 1 battle that is coming to MetLIfe. 

Great points with Buffalo's pass defense and depth. I think there will be little separation for these receivers. Gase will need to use the uptempo and no huddle offense at times in personal packages that are exposing a particular defensive back or linebacker. There will need to be someone on offense outside of the big 3 (Anderson,Crowder,Enunwa) who can step up and get plays at times when needed. Greg Dortch? Ryan Griffen? Donte Burnett?

With the lack of practice time with this offensive line, there can be a potential slow start in the run game. I am expecting Bell to get more catches then runs in the first quarter and him finishing the game pounding the rock a little more. Someone previously stated 12 carries and 4 catches for Bell in this game, somewhere around those numbers sounds about right  from listening to Gase and Bell not playing in the preseason. 

Putting a spy on Josh Allen may not be as easy as it sounds with the lack of pass rush this defense has. We really do need every linebacker we got either blitzing or falling back in coverage. Josh Allen will be running the ball on us and Buffalo will be throwing the deep ball consistently. Not only does Allen have the arm for it(dude can sling the rock far), these corners are awful and will be tested all year with the deep ball. Having Marcus Maye back can reduce some of this, that safety can just flat out cover. 

The spy concerns me because you need someone else in coverage with the corner issues.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

They still have two preseason games left, but as I look at the schedule I realize the Jets HAVE TO win the opener. It is a division opponent and the Jets are 3.5 point favorite.

No cornerbacks so Gregg Williams will have to be creative as well. The league seemed surprised at how much Josh Allen ran last year so they will be ready for that.

The Jets OLine should be pretty healthy so that is a plus....

Anyhow, what will the game plan be to beat the Bills? (other than control the line of scrimmage and avoid turnovers lol).

Bell gets 20-25 carries and 8+ Receptions... 

Tru is probably going to rush back and tear his ACL

Game plan should be to score early and often

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think the combination of Bell's running style, the OLine being hurt in camp, and Bell having no game experience means he will start slow. And with a reduced workload.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but if they're going to treat game 1 like a warmup / preseason game for Bell, why don't they let him play in an *actual* preseason game to treat it like, you know, a warmup / preseason game?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but if they're going to treat game 1 like a warmup / preseason game for Bell, why don't they let him play in an *actual* preseason game to treat it like, you know, a warmup / preseason game?

I don't see Bell getting any less then 15 carries and at least 5 receptions... The NFL community has forgotten how good this guy is and that he hasn't played pre-season games in years

• Post of the Week 1